F-18 Advanced Super Hornet

WolfPack86

Country flag
Canada Targets Super Hornet Buy, For Now
VICTORIA, British Columbia — The Canadian government wants to acquire the Super Hornet to fill its fighter-jet capability gap on an interim basis, a move that would also take the pressure off the country’s prime minister on the thorny political issue of the F-35.

Liberal Party Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had promised during last year’s election campaign his government would never buy the F-35 joint strike fighter, but that plane is still favored by Canada’s air force. Any decision to exclude the F-35 from a competition to acquire new jets could also spark a messy legal battle.

But the proposed deal to buy Super Hornets on an interim basis would push off any fighter competition well into the late 2020s, allowing Trudeau to keep his election promise while dealing with the issue of replacing the country’s aging fleet of CF-18 jets.

The National Post newspaper reported Monday that the Canadian government was intent on proceeding with the Super Hornet purchase but that a final decision still had to be made.
Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said last week in Ottawa that Canada will soon be looking at a capability gap due to the aging CF-18 fleet. "Today, we are risk-managing a gap between our NORAD and NATO commitments and the number of fighters available for operations,” he told industry representatives at the CANSEC defense trade show in Ottawa. “In the 2020s, we can foresee a growing capability gap, and this I find unacceptable and it's one thing that we plan to fix."

Boeing and Lockheed Martin have yet to respond with a comment on the proposed deal.

But industry sources confirm Boeing recently presented its plan to the Canadian government for the purchase of Super Hornets on an “interim basis” and received an enthusiastic response.

The previous Conservative Party government had committed to purchasing 65 F-35s, but officials put that plan temporarily on hold amid accusations that the Canadian military had tried to hide the full cost of the procurement.
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense-news/2016/06/06/canada-super-hornets-f35/85480172/

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Ohhhhhhhhh now I know why the cash scarped france not interested in making a true 5th gen plane because they think their 4th gen is better than 5th gen .

man I say franch are liar. And I am serious.
no one can buy your fake stealth 4th gen aircraft on the price of 5th gen. That why you are orders in only 20s or max 30s. (Only because franch are
Lobbying hard for it not because it is a 5th gen).
if you are happy with this 4th gen plane in the era 5th its your wish.
If we buy 36 rafale then for it is always a 4th gen for 5th gen we are going to buy Pak fa.
you don't have slightest idea why the numbers are reduced to 36 and we are considering another plane with a production line numbers close tp 100.
it is because you are liar and rafale is so great plane that 36 is enough to do the work of 200 4th gen plane(well I am laughing very hard).
Go on man crack your jokes once again this time I am not going to reply. Its like bhais k aage been bajana ( it a saying in hindi)
5 gen is a marketing appelation by Lockeed Martin. Devopped for F22. To be a 5 gen aircraft it have to be super cruiser and stealth.

F35 is not supercruiser.... but for LM it is still a 5th gen aircraft. :nono:

If you are naive enough to believe that, it's your problem, not mine.

For the rest : :bs:

WolfPack86

Country flag
American companies eye multi-billion dollar deals; defence analysts see ‘Make in India’ benefiting
US recognition of India as a 'major defence partner' during PM Modi's visit comes at a time when America's leading defence companies are eyeing multi-billion dollar 'Make in India' deals.

India-US defence ties: Boeing has offered to manufacture the F/A-18 fighter jet and Lockheed has offered Javelin missile system. Lockheed has also offered the F-16.
US recognition of India as a ‘major defence partner’ during Prime MinisterNarendra Modi’s US visit comes at a time when America’s leading defence companies are eyeing the Indian market for prospective multi-billion dollar ‘Make in India’ deals. The decision is expected to further boost India-US defence ties and open new channels for US’ defence majors to offer and make their products in India.

According to Pratyush Kumar, President of Boeing India, “The convergence of the two governments will enhance the cooperation between the two countries at various levels. This increased defence cooperation will lead to the development of a robust defence industry.” “The move will propel the Indian defence industry’s integration into the global supply chain of major Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), boosting the prime minister’s ‘Make in India’ initiative,” he told FE Online.

Welcoming the US decision, Phil Shaw, CEO at Lockheed Martin India told FE Online, “We look forward to collaborating even more closely under Prime Minister Modi’s Make in India, Skill India and Start-Up India initiatives along with the Indo-US Defence Technology and Trade Initiative and to strengthening our partnership in the years ahead.”

Also read – Modi in US: Big boost as US recognises India as ‘major defence partner’ – 7 key highlights

“We are proud to partner with the Government of India to meet the critical needs of the Indian armed forces. We are also proud of our manufacturing operations in India, which today produce key portions of every C-130J and Sikorsky S-92 helicopter sold around the world,” he added.

Both Boeing and Lockheed Martin India have offered to manufacture their fighter jets F/A-18 and F-16 under the Modi government’s Make in India initiative. US is not the only country that sees potential in India’s defence market. Sweden’s Saab has also expressed willingness to make its Gripen fighter in India. A decision on which plane would eventually carry the ‘Made in India’ tag is expected in March 2017, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has said in the past.
In 2015, Boeing received an order for 22 AH-64E Apache attack helicopters and 15 CH-47F Chinook heavy-lift helicopters from the Ministry of Defence. The $2.5 billion deal had been stuck for quite some time. Consequently, Boeing announced a JV with Tata Advanced Systems to manufacture aerostructures for the AH-64 Apache helicopter under Modi government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative.

Lockheed Martin has also proposed to make its Javelin missile system in India. US government has been trying to sell the Javelin, which is a lightweight, man-portable, shoulder-fired, fire-and-forget medium antitank weapon system, to India for quite some time now. Javelin is part of the DTTI (Defense Technology and Trade Initiative) between India and US, and if the deal comes through it will be a multi-billion dollar one.

PM Narendra Modi met US President Barack Obama last week and America’s decision to recognise India as a ‘major defence partner’ was announced as a part of the two leaders’ joint statement.

The two committed to enhance cooperation in support of the Modi government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative and expand the co-production and co-development of technologies under the DTTI.

The new DTTI working groups will include agreed items covering naval systems, air systems, and other weapons systems. “In support of the Make In India initiative, and to support the development of robust defense industries and their integration into the global supply chain, US will facilitate export of goods and technologies, consistent with US law, for projects, programs and joint ventures in support of official US-India defense cooperation,” the statement said.
How will India and its defence industry benefit from strengthening of defence ties with US?

A Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) official tells FE Online, “DTTI and now India’s membership to MTCR will facilitate US companies to bring in higher level technology, which otherwise called for prolonged process of federal, and in some cases Congressional, approvals.”

According to this official, this development would help give ‘Make in India’ a boost in the defence sector. “With ‘Make in India’ in backdrop, MoD accorded AoN (Acceptance of Necessity) for defence acquisition schemes for more than Rs 20,0000 crore during 2014-15 and 2015-16. 85% (by value) of these schemes fall in ‘Make in India’ categories, for which RFP (Request For Proposal) will be issued to only Indian Vendors. So, it leaves very limited options for FOEMs but to collaborate or co-produce with Indian industry through suitable technology transfer or technical support or Joint Venture arrangements with Indian Industry.

“Not only US Companies, even French, Israeli, Swedish, British, Norwegian and Russian companies see India as a long term investment and business destination as far as defence equipment and products are concerned,” he adds.

Ankur Gupta, Vice President – Aerospace & Defence at Ernst Young India feels that India is yet to reciprocate as aggressively as the US to help the defence ties attain their full potential.

Gupta says, “In the last 24 months, the Indo-US ‘defence’ bonhomie has reached a new level and this is primarily due to the intense efforts across all levels of the US defence and civil administration coupled with quick turnarounds & responses from the Indian side. Whereas the outcome of these efforts has been visible at the global level, and all in India’s favour, at the transactional level a lot more needs to be done from the Indian side to help the US OEMs succeed in this market.”
http://www.financialexpress.com/art...analysts-see-make-in-india-benefiting/284621/

harsh

Country flag
5 gen is a marketing appelation by Lockeed Martin. Devopped for F22. To be a 5 gen aircraft it have to be super cruiser and stealth.

F35 is not supercruiser.... but for LM it is still a 5th gen aircraft. :nono:

If you are naive enough to believe that, it's your problem, not mine.

For the rest : :bs:

Wow I like this kind of reply........
rafale is deficit of 7 qualities to be 5th gen but it is still a 5th gen killer

and f35 just don't have 1 quality of supercruise and now I am naive and 5th gen is just a marketing .

you are a blindest fan boy I ever met.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Wow I like this kind of reply........
rafale is deficit of 7 qualities to be 5th gen but it is still a 5th gen killer

and f35 just don't have 1 quality of supercruise and now I am naive and 5th gen is just a marketing .

you are a blindest fan boy I ever met.
You said some earlier post you will never answer me no more. Please respect you promise.

PS : It's not me but LM which said to be 5th gen a plane has to be stealth AND supercruiser... so F22 is the sole 5th gen "Lockeed Martin scale" fighter.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Actually since F-35 is designed to be flown in clean configuration it can have limited supercruise ability. But according to some statements of test pilots they need to punch through the supersonic boundary first using afterburner and then turn off afterburner to maintain cruise at 1.2 for abut 150 miles. The thing here is that supercruise was not a design specification for the F-35.

Anyway, I really think this is an F-18 thread...

Immanuel

Country flag
but SH is 50% as potent.
less capacity for a dry weight 50% higher
less T/W ratio
less stealthy (but a bigger radar)
less manoeuvrable
less range
Not true, I reckon the ASH will be more advanced, day 1 it flies with more devastating air to surface weapons, every PGM in US inventory is deployed on it. Capacity don't mean jack when the aircraft is half price. Again T/W will be improved over existing SH with new EPE engine, again doesn't matter. ASH is stealthier than the regular SH and the difference between the Rafale and ASH won't be much in the end, considering the ASH will deploy stealthy rcs friendly weapons pods, a Rafale with a similar load will have a bigger radar signature.

Less manueverable vs more manuverable is a bs debate, a less manueverable F-4 was quite capable of killing rafales in a dogfight, finally pilot skill matters.

The range of the ASH is improved over the the SH, finally thats all that matters. Its still capable of combat radii of 800NM+ based on mission profiles, this can easily be increased with tankers when needed.

charlie

Country flag
Canada Targets Super Hornet Buy, For Now
VICTORIA, British Columbia — The Canadian government wants to acquire the Super Hornet to fill its fighter-jet capability gap on an interim basis, a move that would also take the pressure off the country’s prime minister on the thorny political issue of the F-35.

Liberal Party Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had promised during last year’s election campaign his government would never buy the F-35 joint strike fighter, but that plane is still favored by Canada’s air force. Any decision to exclude the F-35 from a competition to acquire new jets could also spark a messy legal battle.

But the proposed deal to buy Super Hornets on an interim basis would push off any fighter competition well into the late 2020s, allowing Trudeau to keep his election promise while dealing with the issue of replacing the country’s aging fleet of CF-18 jets.

The National Post newspaper reported Monday that the Canadian government was intent on proceeding with the Super Hornet purchase but that a final decision still had to be made.
Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said last week in Ottawa that Canada will soon be looking at a capability gap due to the aging CF-18 fleet. "Today, we are risk-managing a gap between our NORAD and NATO commitments and the number of fighters available for operations,” he told industry representatives at the CANSEC defense trade show in Ottawa. “In the 2020s, we can foresee a growing capability gap, and this I find unacceptable and it's one thing that we plan to fix."

Boeing and Lockheed Martin have yet to respond with a comment on the proposed deal.

But industry sources confirm Boeing recently presented its plan to the Canadian government for the purchase of Super Hornets on an “interim basis” and received an enthusiastic response.

The previous Conservative Party government had committed to purchasing 65 F-35s, but officials put that plan temporarily on hold amid accusations that the Canadian military had tried to hide the full cost of the procurement.
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense-news/2016/06/06/canada-super-hornets-f35/85480172/
CF-18 as well as any other sales of F18 will brings more jobs to Canada then F-35 ever will, Trudeau is not an idiot as most people in Canada feel.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
News from La Tribune, To day.

Doha (Qatar) wants F-15 Finally , Qatar did the forcing to the United States to buy thirty F-15 after the acquisition of 24 Rafale in May 2015. All will depend on the approval of the US Congress . Otherwise , Doha has a plan B which involves the purchase of Typhoon to diversify its supplies of weapons. In addition , Qatar has recently mentioned for the first time in the presence of the French authorities the exercise of the option to acquire an additional 12 Rafale. A seductive promise for Paris ...

SH18 is even not regarded by Qatar....

12 more Rafale for Egypt, 12 more for Qatar....... it smells good.

WolfPack86

Country flag
It’s Official. India ‘Developing 1 or 2 Make-in-India Fighter Programs’

What lies beyond India’s push for 36 (plus options) Rafale fighters from France? There’s been a great deal of speculation, fuelled mostly by aggressive offers to build fighters in India. The detritus of the M-MRCA campaign threw up a fertile new field simply because India is still nowhere close to operating the number of fighter jets it needs. Aggressive offers to set up brand new fighter production lines in India from Boeing Defense, Lockheed-Martin and Saab have energised the Make-in-India push for the MoD, but it has still remained largely fuzzy.

But now there’s some rare official clarity and it’s right from the top. Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar was in Hyderabad today where he presided over the ceremonials at a Boeing-Tata event to establish a new facility that will build, for starters, AH-64 fuselages.

In a short speech, where touched upon the MoD’s Make in India plans, he is reported to have said, “If you want aerospace technology to come here and construct here, though I don’t commit anything for F-18. Let me put the disclaimer, that we are definitely in the process of developing one or two ‘fighter Make in India’ programs.

It isn’t clear what the Minister means by ‘or or two’, but it certainly means at least one. Talk of an F/A-18 line in the country first blipped up on India’s radar last year when Boeing chairman Jim McNerney spoke about it at the India’s Time To Fly event in Delhi:
'We'd like to build fighters in India'. On stage at@IndiasTimeToFly: @Boeing chairman Jim McNerney.

10:36 AM - 16 Oct 2015
The Minister today didn’t spare a dig at the press too. “When I say ‘disclaimer’, doesn’t mean that you are out. Two incidents that should not be linked with press, as Indian press is very imaginative; that’s why I’m making this statement.”

He has a point. Apart from a couple of reports, including this one in the trusty Stratpost, much of what has been said or written so far about India’s next big fighter contest remains in the realm of speculation, persistently muddied by the bean count of squadron strength requirements and how the MoD traditionally works. The truth is, much has changed, including in the methodologies being embraced by acquisition managers to shore up strength. It patently isn’t about plain numbers anymore — more on that in a future post, shortly.

As things stand, India its a three-way contest between Boeing, Lockheed-Martin and Saab for a highly lucrative Indian production line of their mainstay fighter jets: the F/A-18 Super Hornet, the F-16 Block 60 IN and the Gripen NG.

The Minister was clearly very pleased with the establishment of the new facility, given its a loud bang for the Make in India campaign, a push that has been criticised as largely cosmetic. With a facility that will churn out Apache fuselages for all future global customers eventually, the Minister didn’t hold back on the joy.

“Let me first acknowledge Boeing kept their word. A promise that was given to me after we concluded the Apache and Chinook deal; that after the offset this particular facility will be located in India and by shifting it from the place they already had the facility. Keeping their word, and I always think that those who remember what they say at the time of celebration and complete it afterwards are people to be noted for future references. Let me acknowledge Boeing for this deal,” the Minister said. That’s a lot to say in these grey, turbulent times for contracting.
http://www.livefistdefence.com/2016...ng-1-or-2-make-in-india-fighter-programs.html

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
but SH is 50% as potent.
less capacity for a dry weight 50% higher
less T/W ratio
less stealthy (but a bigger radar)
less manoeuvrable
less range
Pros.
Carries a lot more load.
State of art EW suit.
World's best A to A BVR Metor if we decides to buy.
PESA radar is a class apart.

WolfPack86

Country flag
TATA Boeing Aerospace Company New Unit Starts Adibatla
Manohar Parikkar talking about one or two fighter aicrafts under make in india at 4.00 minute

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles