DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

another_armchair

Country flag
The above message keeps getting reproduced every year.

The Chinese bearings were discovered during the early prototypes that went to trials and resulted in multiple accidents while others argued it was poor OFB ammo which resulted in the muzzle breech accident.

^This is fine.. chalta hai..

^Even this should be OK... chalta hai.

kharabela

The above message keeps getting reproduced every year.

The Chinese bearings were discovered during the early prototypes that went to trials and resulted in multiple accidents while others argued it was poor OFB ammo which resulted in the muzzle breech accident.

^This is fine.. chalta hai..

^Even this should be OK... chalta hai.
The production quality claim and again going through firing test is from print article as shared in previous comment . That caused the delay .

Srinie

Country flag
And where is our Rfaj Kapoor "Baba Kalyani" who famously said that they could bring down the weight of ATAGS to 16 ton?

Moreover, its a RFI or IA is just asking for Information on any current system available. Based on its response, RFP would be released in February 2023. So this weight part has been accompanied with 'PREFERABLY'.
Yes let's publically flog Baba Kalyani for dreaming and daring to be artillery manufacturer.

another_armchair

Country flag
The production quality claim and again going through firing test is from print article as shared in previous comment . That caused the delay .
Doesn't matter who reports it.

The muzzle breech accident happened in 2017 but it keeps getting mentioned even in reports appearing in 2022.

Its like those INSAS stories about magazine cracks in snow bound areas. Problem was rectified but it gets mentioned in almost every article critical of the INSAS. Agreed the rifle is past its sell by date but still...

I mean we are moving into 2022, IA has inducted one regiment of Dhanush, more are in the pipeline but the same 2017 story gets told and retold while others get a free pass.

Its like an attempt to plant an idea in the readers mind that the indigenous gun is full of flaws while the imported system is the only answer to India's defence preparedness.

Pretty vacuous argument by Chandigarh lobby.

kharabela

Doesn't matter who reports it.

The muzzle breech accident happened in 2017 but it keeps getting mentioned even in reports appearing in 2022.

Its like those INSAS stories about magazine cracks in snow bound areas. Problem was rectified but it gets mentioned in almost every article critical of the INSAS. Agreed the rifle is past its sell by date but still...

I mean we are moving into 2022, IA has inducted one regiment of Dhanush, more are in the pipeline but the same 2017 story gets told and retold while others get a free pass.

Its like an attempt to plant an idea in the readers mind that the indigenous gun is full of flaws while the imported system is the only answer to India's defence preparedness.

Pretty vacuous argument by Chandigarh lobby.
That CBI issue of chinese parts different . I was mentioning about production delay . In 4 years only 12 guns were delivered . If you are happy with this time line than fine . There were issues with regard to the hydraulics, sight and even mounting . Not talking about quality of gun . Its good if they corrected it . But present order must be completed fast before talking about other system .

flanker99

Country flag

Seems like MQ-9 order is finalized, and we apparently negotiated a ToT aswell. 60% order will be locally assembled in India while the rest will be in fly-away condition delivered.
I dont see the point of local production for around a dozen drones ..god knows what the govt is thinking

jai jaganath

Country flag
Nah, that was just a talk in air that by using titanium at various places in ATAGS weight can be reduced but that would drive up the cost.

The funny thing is ATAGS cleared all trials with its original weight with little to no problems including mobility trials and yet IA floats a RFI for artillery gun with less weight for mobility purpose.

IA to logicView attachment 186690
Anyway I am very very happy
Atleast the requirement is moving on
Atags was gale me hadi(bone in throat) for our FRP as IA generals can't procure it as their masters would be upset import lobby would be upset and other problems
But after all who was suffering? It was FRP
Now FRP is damn important if it has to be achieved by death of atags then let it be
Bcoz FRP is more important
Now as they have convinced govt and other authorities it's nice that FRP is moving ahead
Congratulations Athos our new member in family 👪
If atags wouldn't have died then FRP had to die as we know army can't procure it
So let it be
Nothing offensive guys but atags has my salute and 21 topon ki salami
I don't know what other people would do but we being dfians should never ever forget atags' sacrifice for betterment of our artillery program

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Anyway I am very very happy
Atleast the requirement is moving on
Atags was gale me hadi(bone in throat) for our FRP as IA generals can't procure it as their masters would be upset import lobby would be upset and other problems
But after all who was suffering? It was FRP
Now FRP is damn important if it has to be achieved by death of atags then let it be
Bcoz FRP is more important
Now as they have convinced govt and other authorities it's nice that FRP is moving ahead
Congratulations Athos our new member in family 👪
If atags wouldn't have died then FRP had to die as we know army can't procure it
So let it be
Nothing offensive guys but atags has my salute and 21 topon ki salami
I don't know what other people would do but we being dfians should never ever forget atags' sacrifice for betterment of our artillery program

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:
Imports are barred Lol

flanker99

Country flag
Probably follow-on orders and making India global manufacturing and MRO hub for the MQ-series of drones ?
I still don't see why we would be running after an mro hub for mq series...this drones purchase makes sense as a stopgap measure till our domestic industry can churn out something equivalent but at around 100mln a piece imo it doesn't make sense for us to get them in large numbers looking at how vulnerable they are in contested airspace...instead we should be looking at integrating American sensors in local drones

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
LOOPHOLE - MAKE 2 procedure,can tie up with Indian co,give some TOT,enter the game.
Need not give any meanful tech, IPR will not be shared. Voila "make in India".
Just a copium, but is there any chance 2 types of gun will be procured forst one being atatgs and other one with less than 15 ton weight.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
I still don't see why we would be running after an mro hub for mq series...this drones purchase makes sense as a stopgap measure till our domestic industry can churn out something equivalent but at around 100mln a piece imo it doesn't make sense for us to get them in large numbers looking at how vulnerable they are in contested airspace...instead we should be looking at integrating American sensors in local drones
My understanding is, we (DRDO) are at least 10 years away from developing something of similar endurance and sensor suite to that of MQ-9/RQ-4.
DRDO's struggle with underpowered Tapas has not escaped the attention of govt/armed forces. Even if we start ordering Tapas, it would be in a similar category to Baykar TB2 and Adani's Hermes 900.

Even if we somehow strap a more powerful engine to Rustom, we lack in sensor suite and over-the-horizon satellite communication. I think DRDO is eying these ToTs from General Atomics to use in our own domestic UAV program as well.

Also, 100mln a piece is justified given their capabilities and endurance. In the long run, they will be cheaper than other drones.

jai jaganath

Country flag
Imports are barred Lol
LOOPHOLE - MAKE 2 procedure,can tie up with Indian co,give some TOT,enter the game.
Need not give any meanful tech, IPR will not be shared. Voila "make in India".
Screwdriver products are included
Anyway kalyani is most benefited party here
As Athos will be manufactured by kalyani as it already established jv with elbit
So we must welcome the move nothing else can be said

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles