DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Does anyone know why the fn MAG lmg copied by ARDE still has downward ejection when they could have atleast put it on side.
Just find the ammo boxes for m240 lmg and you will find that they either use 50 rounds pouches or just belts lugged around. Boxes for M240 are cumbersome and complex yet still don't hold as much ammo. Just what ARDE was thinking when copying the downward ejection port.
1659118567873.png

Here's this weird box ammo below
1659118673337.png

And then here is the Chad PKM, simple plain and reliable design
1659118748621.png

And here is the new boi, compact than other 7.62mm lmgs
1659118938406.png

I am almost always for indigenous weapons but the small arms developed by DRDO are so bad and outdated like see the arde can carbine which doesn't even have basic top full length rail. I hope none of these small arms get in service, otherwise after 10-15 yrs, we will start looking for new weapons again.

I am all for Negev ng7 to be standard lmg for section of troops. Atmost ARDE gun can be a replacement for the present MMG gun platoons with some additional fcr sights.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Does anyone know why the fn MAG lmg copied by ARDE still has downward ejection when they could have atleast put it on side.
Just find the ammo boxes for m240 lmg and you will find that they either use 50 rounds pouches or just belts lugged around. Boxes for M240 are cumbersome and complex yet still don't hold as much ammo. Just what ARDE was thinking when copying the downward ejection port.
View attachment 165817
View attachment 165818

View attachment 165819

And here is the new boi, compact than other 7.62mm lmgsView attachment 165820

I am almost always for indigenous weapons but the small arms developed by DRDO are so bad and outdated like see the arde can carbine which doesn't even have basic top full length rail. I hope none of these small arms get in service, otherwise after 10-15 yrs, we will start looking for new weapons again.

I am all for Negev ng7 to be standard lmg for section of troops. Atmost ARDE gun can be a replacement for the present MMG gun platoons with some additional fcr sights.
😏 the question of side ejection on ARDE's 7.62mm LMG , i already asked it and provided my own solution for it in 'hints' back about 9 months ago in small arms thread
as for bottom eject i agree that is a problematic thing for a jawaan that is supposed to carry it around, but these ;geniuses; could easily have changed bolt face and plunger ejector position to make it side-eject i mean FN MAG directly traces its origin from John Browning's ;Browning Automatic Rifle; which was a bottom feed-side eject pattern gun to start with 😒 (albeit it had fixed ejector but still)
as for PKM, it's just AK design upside down and due to that it has side ejection port, albeit it's given a spring loaded dust cover that snaps open when bolt carrier is moving forward-rearwards via a pushing bit of metal inside...and it kinda throws spent rounds at angle like inverted 45 degrees but overall yeah it's on side

^adopt BAR style ejection design and PKM style spring loaded dust cover that opens up when bolt carrier is moving forward-rearward and there you have your perfect sealed design for side ejecting on FN MAG pattern machine gun, or here on that FN MAG based belt fed LMG

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
View attachment 165817
View attachment 165818

View attachment 165819

And here is the new boi, compact than other 7.62mm lmgsView attachment 165820

😏 the question of side ejection on ARDE's 7.62mm LMG , i already asked it and provided my own solution for it in 'hints' back about 9 months ago in small arms thread

as for PKM, it's just AK design upside down and due to that it has side ejection port, albeit it's given a spring loaded dust cover that snaps open when bolt carrier is moving forward-rearwards via a pushing bit of metal inside...and it kinda throws spent rounds at angle like inverted 45 degrees but overall yeah it's on side

^adopt BAR style ejection design and PKM style spring loaded dust cover that opens up when bolt carrier is moving forward-rearward and there you have your perfect sealed design for side ejecting on FN MAG pattern machine gun, or here on that FN MAG based belt fed LMG
😏 There, you have the required solution, designed using highly sophisticated tools of.... internet photoshop and mspaint :tongue:
side-ejecting-MAG58.jpg

just turned position of both extractor and ejector to 90 degree clockwise and there you have it, right side ejecting MAG 58, pass it on to those geniuses in ARDE 😏 and ask them to use solidworks or autocad or whatever they use nowadays to put it on actual design, baaki dimaag lagane ka kaam toh mene unko kar ke de diya hain

of course you also need to cut an ejection port on receiver at...here...
1659135498851.png

use anything you like as dust cover - MAG 58 or AR-15 style manual closing by user or PKM style automatic opening-closing...whatever you prefer.

There you have your side ejecting MAG58 now, feel free to use bottom side to affix belt drums

Last edited:

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
😏 There, you have the required solution, designed using highly sophisticated tools of.... internet photoshop and mspaint :tongue:
View attachment 165829
just turned position of both extractor and ejector to 90 degree clockwise and there you have it, right side ejecting MAG 58, pass it on to those geniuses in ARDE 😏 and ask them to use solidworks or autocad or whatever they use nowadays to put it on actual design, baaki dimaag lagane ka kaam toh mene unko kar ke de diya hain

of course you also need to cut an ejection port on receiver at...here...
View attachment 165830
use anything you like as dust cover - MAG 58 or AR-15 style manual closing by user or PKM style automatic opening-closing...whatever you prefer.

There you have your side ejecting MAG58 now, feel free to use bottom side to affix belt drums
Nibba you should contact someone who has some connection with ARDE guys, They really need to get together their small arms designing thing. I don't really understand, on the one hand they are making good machine pistol like ASMI and on the other hand they are making outdated things like arde cqb.

For now, my hope is with private cos that they come up with some good weapons.

Chinmoy

Country flag

Chinmoy

Country flag
This was a special one off case. For the Dryden Flight research centre .

View attachment 165761

Here's how a F-14 launches a Phoenix .

Now coming to the actual topic.

https://books.google.co.in/books?id=BHS3AwAAQBAJ&pg=PT1409&lpg=PT1409&dq=Phoenix+missile+service+ceiling+100000+ft&source=bl&ots=2FMDyGUbs8&sig=ACfU3U3SBTUg9lhcGVisRDSVZ453jMzgCw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz94C2nZ75AhX_SGwGHe-GAgEQ6AF6BAgtEAI#v=onepage&q=Phoenix missile service ceiling 100000 ft&f=false

The original AIM-54A had a ceiling of 84100 feet. The later C variant had a ceiling of 100000 ft. Irrespective of the altitude the missile was launched, the missile would climb and cruise at the said altitude and then dive down towards its target just before the terminal phase for BVR shots

Same is the case for our SFDR regarding the 340 km range.
Yes, the picture I shared is of AIM-Pheonix with payload to measure hypersonic flight. Also known as ALSM. So its not one off special case. It was a test to carry out hypersonic flight characteristic of the missile. Flight ceiling of F-15, from which it was launched is already 65000 feet which is enough for GBR to track the missile launch. So why you think it was launched at such an angle?

The answer is right there in the second graph. A high angle of launch gives more flight time for a missile which means longer range. That graph is also from the same research paper of ALSM. Its not like you cant launch a BVRAAM in a perfect horizontal position. But it would drastically bring down the range of the missile. For same reason, to work out the flight altitude and angle for optimum range gain of Astra, 50 missiles has been ordered before the bulk order of 200 odd missiles.

Now coming to the video link, do you see any horizon to make out the launch angle? If the photographing aircraft is parallel to the firing one, no matter what is the launch angle, it would appear to be fired horizontally. I too could have shared vids, but those are from DCS guys working out on the firing angle of pheonix to obtain max range. But being from DCS world, I don't want to post them.

Coming to the link you have posted, it was mentioned on the the top that service ceiling of Pheonix was 100000 feet. Its flight altitude was 80,000 feet. But where it was mentioned that after firing, it do climb to that altitude? The false assurance of the missile climbing when photographed, comes from two different facts. First the launching aircraft always level up a bit after firing it. Second, the lift coefficient it got because of its huge wings.

But even if you have any doubt on what I said, you could always approach a fighter pilot to ask for yourself.

porky_kicker

Country flag
SU-30MKI Armed With 4 PGHSLD (Precision Guided High Speed Low Drag) Bombs Undergoing Ground Tests

SU-30MKI in Beast Mode Config with PGHSLD bombs - can carry upto 6 PGHSLDs at a time on weapon stations 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 & 8

That's around 3 tons of Precision Ground Attack Firepower

porky_kicker

Country flag
Additional info

If unknown aforementioned missile is a 'new' SAM

IMO then 2 possibilities as per known DRDO systems under development

1. LRQRSAM (Long Range Quick Reaction SAM)

2. ERSAM (Extended Range SAM) one of the missiles of Extended Range Air Defence System (ERADS) family of SAMs

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Great setup inside ADA. On par with the Western OEM.

View attachment 165909

Notice the titled aesa array ok Tejas mk2 .

The aesa on Tejas mk1 can track more than 64 targets at once. Whether it's Uttam or the EL/M-2052 isn't clear at this point.
That would be the Elta 2052, Uttam AESA is capable of tracking 100 targets at once and engaging 6 of them simultaneously.
Also, Uttam was able to track another LCA at a distance of 140km

Global Defence

Articles