DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Arihant Roy

Country flag
View attachment 165732

Pheonix ALSM launch

View attachment 165733

Launch angle effect on range of Pheonix.
This was a special one off case. For the Dryden Flight research centre .

images - 2022-07-29T190541.211.jpeg

Here's how a F-14 launches a Phoenix .

Now coming to the actual topic.

https://books.google.co.in/books?id...nix missile service ceiling 100000 ft&f=false

The original AIM-54A had a ceiling of 84100 feet. The later C variant had a ceiling of 100000 ft. Irrespective of the altitude the missile was launched, the missile would climb and cruise at the said altitude and then dive down towards its target just before the terminal phase for BVR shots

Same is the case for our SFDR regarding the 340 km range.

Last edited:

radion

Country flag
1659106034930.png

1659105629963.png

1659105663426.png

lol why do they all look different? Did they redesign or something. Even the shape of the main circle of the first 2 are different as well as their background.

Edit:The background tile is similar for first two after looking closely thx to the red line beside it and maybe the viewing angle is affecting it

Last edited:

Mangal

Country flag
AON for Carbine has been approved under IDDM category. So Kalyani-Thales or Caracal would not fall under that category.
I have come across videos and reports that the order would be buy Indian category and not IDDM.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
View attachment 165634

Looks like it will be SSSDef or AstrDef

But do Kalyani-Thales, Kalyani-ARDE, Caracal-Indian etc qualify as "indigenous". @Tactical Doge @Johny_Baba

I am not suggesting that SSSDef or AstrDef have all sub components as "made in India"
since you've tagged me i'm going to reply,
one thing that i'd like to mention is, i don't think this is list of contenders for the said tender, rather just a list of available ;indigeneous; (degree varies) options

SSS Defense P-72
- seems like AK based design in new receiver body
- feeds from traditional AK pattern magazines, BUT they haven't shown any prototype in 5.56x45mm yet, but i belive it could be feeding from AK style magazines and in our case probably from INSAS pattern magazines; if not then it must feed from STANAG pattern ones - cannot afford to have all these different proprietary magazines around in our supply chains huh for even same calibre weapons
if yes then it's a huge plus as we can use existing magazines (plus ammo too, hopefully) on these guns
- ambidextrous controls, a plus for a close combat weapon
- buttstock is also modular, unlike some other options
- 3-6-9-12 picatiny rails, so attachments are also possible
--> with all things (and bakchodis alike) that SSS Defense guys have done so far, i can't say i am hopeful to see them delivering but at least interested to see their P-72 variant in 5.56x45mm

Astr Defense INDRA
- SCAR derivative, 'nuff said
- notably the 7.62 NATO variant seemed to be feeding from FAL//SLR style 'nose-in-rock-back' style magazines (in polymer i believe) so they might be having a similar downscaled variant for 5.56x45mm too, i believe ? again just like SSSD P-72 if true i hope it feeds from INSAS pattern magazines; if not then it must feed from STANAG pattern ones - cannot afford to have all these different proprietary magazines around in our supply chains huh for even same calibre weapons

Kalyani-Thales P90
- Australian fork of AUG 🤷‍♂️
- feeds from STANAG magazines, good enough but sadly we might have to induct bunch of these magazines for this gigantic order as they are second in numbers after INSAS pattern ones giving to its prevalence etc, but still manageable as there are plenty of ways to get them
- AUG design, hhmm, we tested O G AUG back in late 80s when we were trying to get a standard issue assault rifle thing itself to replace 1A SLRs, and rejected it, many things happened afterwards and end result was INSAS... i am not sure how would army find it to test another AUG fork after all these years but let's see, still miles better than those suicidal Sterling ;9mm carbines;

Kalyani-ARDE Carbine
- INSAS derivative in SIG SG540 // SG-550 style two-section receivers
- my favourite out of all
- not ambidextrous from factory itself, but can be made using armory level jugaads
- again has top rail and bottom section in handguards, no side sectional rails but at least has mount for screwing 3 and 9 position rail sections if needed, so that way it's very elementary gun but miles better than Sterling so yeah
- feeds from new generation INSAS polymer magazines, not translucent this time but ok, so adapting it to existing supplies would be easy peasy thing
- buttstock hhmm, just folds, not modular (doesn't have adjustable length or cheek piece) but hopefully they could provide a replacement one if armed forces asks for it or chalo still better than Sterling 🤷‍♂️
- training-transition on it would be simpler if not simplest, as ;it's just another AK // another INSAS; with slightly different steps in disassembly, otherwise operating is just same thing so a big yay that way
- my biggest *copium* with this design is if it succeeds in getting huge orders and becomes prevalent in armed forces *maybe* we might see future derivatives coming out from this base design of two-section receiver for Assault Rifle, LMG, DMR etc etc ? that way i am giga hopeful but knowing things well...sigh...

OFB//AWEIL INSAS 1C
- well what to say, it's offshot of INSAS Excalibur in milled receiver design
- training, transition etc on it would be simplest of all because ;it's just another AK // another INSAS;
- very essential design, doesn't have much rails and stuff except some sections on top-bottom handguards and sides etc
- feeds (and hopefully fires INSAS ammo) INSAS pattern magazines, so that way huge plus
- sadly doesn't have ambidextrous controls, but i believe doable at armory level jugaad if needed
- buttstock...same as above, like wtf they show offed AR style modular buttstock on certain derivative work of OFB R-2 that's like upscaled 1C in that vdo by Sandeep Unnithan...why didn't they make it standard huh...but anyway still better than Sterling so it goes...

Adani-PLR-IWI
(i)Carmel

- AR-18 derivative, competitor of ASTR INDRA // CZ Bren 2
- fully ambidextrous, even charging handle can be switched over on both sides; but i believe it is too much parts and fragile and what not
- offers swappable barrel feature
- feeds from STANAG pattern magazines, read what i said above
- my only concern is it's a brand new design and i am kind of skeptical of its performance on actual battle zone, like not even Israelis are adopting it yet. It just looks like IWI's attempt to squeeze some monies off american civilian shooters and/or import heavy army like ours 😒 , does nothing much better than already existing and successful rifles in market
(ii)Arad
- AR-15 derivative, enough said
- short stroke gas piston system, ambidextrous controls, feeds from STANAG magazines; something very similar to what we've been using here with M4, SIG556 etc in special forces and with SIG716i now also similar to that in general army so ;training, transition; etc could have been easied
- additionally has swappable barrel (using tools) and so
- overall a very good alternative to what army originally intended to bring here with those CAR816
(iii)ACE
- call me biased whatever but for me least desirable weapon design for this tender, simply because it's just another AK in 5.56x45mm and we could've done it here at home,heck we already have ARDE Carbine and INSAS 1C and ;imporing another AK in this age and time is just stupid; (*sigh, sadly that's what we tried to do with that AK-203 tender huh 😒 )
- 3-6-9-12 rails, ambidextrous controls, feeds from Galil pattern original 5.56mm magazines duhh (on ACE 22) and alternatively STANAG pattern magazines in another variant (on ACE 21) so either way magazines gonna be a thing if we move ahead with this
- training on it would be simple as...it's just another AK 🤷‍♂️
- IWI decided to put their own bracket (a triangular design tube) for that modular buttstock that is not compatible with AR pattern one (since AR one is cylindrical tube) huuuuh despite being so similar in function and design to that, classic 👃 tactic; so in case we go ahead with this one we would have to either buy a replacement buttstock adapter to put AR stock or just make do with whatever these happy merchants are providing 🤷‍♂️ not a big deal in complete package but maintenance wise it's kinda a thing yeah

Caracal-Indian Partner (?) CAR816
- AR-15 in short stoke gas piston system, HK416 derivative by same designers, enough said
- ambidextrous control, design is known thanks to M4 and SIG556 in service with SF, so training-transitions going to be easier
- winner of previous tender but now... 🤷‍♂️ who knows
- another undesirable weapon for me despite all check marks in terms of technical advantages, simply because it's from UAE and we already have Arad, SSS Defense's AR based rifle (huh ?), Jindal-Taurus T4 (basically M4) as AR alternatives here

Jindal-Taurus T4
- basically M4a1 carbine from Brazil, 'nuff said
- whatever i've said above about Arad, CAR816 applies on it on technical grounds

NDT-MDR ? you mean Desert Tech MDR ?
- pffff lool just pass this one even without trails, jam-o-matic it is; i would rather fight with Sterlings lol
- a separate ejection mechanism thingy for muh forward ejection thing hurr durr that often rather jams it up, needs frequent maintenance, complex disassembly and stuff (literally requires tools to even open it up huuuuuuuuh), does nothing better than other options in terms of performance on firing range...meh i'd pass
- only positive i see is it's very similar in terms of controls to Tavor or X-95...wait how the fook they (da long nosed merchants) aren't offering X-95 for this tender huh perfect carbine contender also being made here since years...and our guys are damn familiar with the gun itself...except some civilian shooters in amreeka literally nobody looking at MDR so they're trying to cash on 'low hanging fruits', eh ?
tl dr, throw MDR in dustbin and pick Tavor // X-95 if going bullpup way

CMTPL - CZ arms Bren 2
- SCAR like, competitor to ASTR's INDRA
- fully ambidextrous, feeds from STANAG pattern magazines, 3-6-9-12 rails, is combat proven ( CZ-807 domestically under CRPF COBRA, Andhra's Greyhounds etc service against Naxals etc, Bren 2 internationally in Afghanistan and recent ongoing ;special military operation in Ukraine; )
- i prefer this over Carmel
- as for comparing with ASTR's INDRA, let's hope the best carbine wins between these two

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles