DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

sorcerer

Country flag
India hands over ₹100 cr patrol boat to boost Seychelles’ maritime security

The 48.9-metre patrol boat was built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineering at a cost of ₹100 crore and has a top speed of 35 knots and an endurance of 1,500 nautical miles. The vessel will be used for multi-purpose operations, such as patrolling, anti-smuggling and anti-poaching operations, and search and rescue. (TWITTER/@MEAIndia.)
India has been working closely with countries in the Indian Ocean, especially the Maldives and Seychelles, to bolster maritime security through the supply of aircraft and patrol vessels. The PS Zoroaster is the fourth made-in-India patrol boat to be gifted to Seychelles since 2005.

Karthi

Country flag
Indian astronomers have tracked a rare supernova explosion and traced it to one of the hottest kind of stars called Wolf–Rayet stars or WR stars.

Science_0.jpg

IMG_20210408_214656.jpg

A group of astronomers have discovered a dozen quasars that have been warped by a naturally occurring cosmic "lens" and split into four similar images.

This rare discovery increases the number of known quasars or quads by about 25 percent and can help determine the expansion rate of the universe and help address other mysteries. Quasars are extremely luminous cores of distant galaxies that are powered by supermassive black holes. Quadruply imaged quasars are rare, and the first quadruple image was discovered in 1985. Over the past four decades, astronomers had found about fifty of these “quadruply imaged quasars” or quads for short, which occur when the gravity of a massive galaxy that happens to sit in front of a quasar splits its single image into four.

The study by Gaia Gravitational Lenses Working Group (GraL) of astronomers, which included scientists from Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), Nainital, an autonomous institute of Department of Science and Technology, spanning only a year and a half, demonstrates the power of machine-learning to assist astronomers in their search for these cosmic jewels. It has been accepted for publication in ‘The Astrophysical Journal’.

"The quads are gold mines for all sorts of questions. They can help determine the expansion rate of the universe and help address other mysteries, such as dark matter and quasar 'central engines'," says Daniel Stern, lead author of the new study and a research scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory USA.

FalconSlayers

Country flag
Indian astronomers have tracked a rare supernova explosion and traced it to one of the hottest kind of stars called Wolf–Rayet stars or WR stars.

View attachment 84480

View attachment 84479

A group of astronomers have discovered a dozen quasars that have been warped by a naturally occurring cosmic "lens" and split into four similar images.

This rare discovery increases the number of known quasars or quads by about 25 percent and can help determine the expansion rate of the universe and help address other mysteries. Quasars are extremely luminous cores of distant galaxies that are powered by supermassive black holes. Quadruply imaged quasars are rare, and the first quadruple image was discovered in 1985. Over the past four decades, astronomers had found about fifty of these “quadruply imaged quasars” or quads for short, which occur when the gravity of a massive galaxy that happens to sit in front of a quasar splits its single image into four.

The study by Gaia Gravitational Lenses Working Group (GraL) of astronomers, which included scientists from Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), Nainital, an autonomous institute of Department of Science and Technology, spanning only a year and a half, demonstrates the power of machine-learning to assist astronomers in their search for these cosmic jewels. It has been accepted for publication in ‘The Astrophysical Journal’.

"The quads are gold mines for all sorts of questions. They can help determine the expansion rate of the universe and help address other mysteries, such as dark matter and quasar 'central engines'," says Daniel Stern, lead author of the new study and a research scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory USA.
Post it at ISRO Thread.

porky_kicker

Country flag
A new powered long range winged PGM under development ?

The bomb seen in the AMCA IWB pic posted in my previous post could be a new long range winged PGM under development.

It has a single piece pivoting wing which adds the small possibility that the PGM might be self-powered with an integrated propulsion unit.

Prominent blunt nose cone possibly for IIR or other seekers.

AddText_04-09-02.49.57.jpg

Credibility to the above is added by the fact that in all possibility ADA will only include confirmed weapon systems for AMCA's internal weapons bay or external carriage aerodynamic studies / stimulations etc because such exercises are time consuming and require lot of effort.

porky_kicker

Country flag

DRDO Hammer PGM equivalent....
Could be

But my impression is different

Hammer is a family of munitions, max range is around 60 km

I suspect since the PGM is winged its range could be 100 km or more , given that all DRDO winged PGMs till date have range of 100 km when released at high altitudes

Plus there is a small possibility that the PGM is powered ( since it uses single piece wing ) so range could be more especially when released at low altitudes ( where generally range decreases drastically )

But its my personal opinion, so i could be wrong also because information is zero regarding it and mostly based on my guesswork for what its worth

There seems to be another PGM named TARA which is also winged but as far as i can see it seems to use 2 piece wings just like Gaurav LRGB.

Maybe others have info on it .

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Country flag
Could be

But my impression is different

Hammer is a family of munitions, range is around 60 km

I suspect since the PGM is winged its range could be 100 km or more , given that all DRDO winged PGMs till date have range of 100 km when released at high altitudes

Plus there is a small possibility that the PGM is powered so range could be more especially when released at low altitudes ( where generally range decreases drastically )

But its my personal opinion, so i could be wrong also
I posted some of your info here with credit to you in description on dfi Instagram , if you have objection i will remove it , also if you want me to tag you in posts please pm me you insta id

Chinmoy

Country flag

Chinmoy

Country flag
A new powered long range winged PGM under development ?

The bomb seen in the AMCA IWB pic posted in my previous post could be a new long range winged PGM under development.

It has a single piece pivoting wing which adds the small possibility that the PGM might be self-powered with an integrated propulsion unit.

Prominent blunt nose cone possibly for IIR or other seekers.

View attachment 84500

Credibility to the above is added by the fact that in all possibility ADA will only include confirmed weapon systems for AMCA's internal weapons bay or external carriage aerodynamic studies / stimulations etc because such exercises are time consuming and require lot of effort.
I believe that's Gautham itself. With 100 km of glide range, its already an effective PGSOW.

porky_kicker

Country flag
I believe that's Gautham itself. With 100 km of glide range, its already an effective PGSOW.
As per my observation

The wing is single piece

While Gaurav is 2 piece wing with semi circular interface

Nose section shape is also different

Body blending is less tapered than Gaurav

Use a pic of Gaurav side by side to confirm the differences , if possible from your end , incase i missed something / wrong

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
I posted some of your info here with credit to you in description on dfi Instagram , if you have objection i will remove it , also if you want me to tag you in posts please pm me you insta id
Only one request NEVER POST anything which i have posted inside SPOILER tag, like this
example
and also those posts where in i have specifically mentioned " don't post outside / outside the forum " . Ask me here if in doubt whether safe to post or not , i will be happy to help

Lonewolf

Country flag
Only one request NEVER POST anything which i have posted inside SPOILER tag, like this
example
and also those posts where in i have specifically mentioned " don't post outside / outside the forum " . Ask me here if in doubt whether safe to post or not , i will be happy to help
Thanks mate

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles