DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Model of an unknown missile , not sure if it is a surface to surface missile or a surface to air missile.

Launcher is 6 celled.

I am guessing surface to air missile due to the presence of long chord wings ( which is used to implement high maneuverability ) and immediately followed by folding short fins as control surfaces for additional maneuverability / controllability , interestingly a large section of the immediate rear section is bare of any control surfaces. Quite intriguing design.

Also I don't think it is the AD series interceptors due to the obvious aerodynamic design configuration. Hence the only possible option remaining IMO is the XRSAM. As usual not sure.

View attachment 39729

View attachment 39730

View attachment 39731
Sir, I have another line of thought, it can also be that long range supersonic cruise missile with range of more than 700km, here and in defence circles they were talk of this kind of missile.

NeXoft007

Country flag
Model of an unknown missile , not sure if it is a surface to surface missile or a surface to air missile.

Launcher is 6 celled.

I am guessing surface to air missile due to the presence of long chord wings ( which is used to implement high maneuverability ) and immediately followed by folding short fins as control surfaces for additional maneuverability / controllability , interestingly a large section of the immediate rear section is bare of any control surfaces. Quite intriguing design.

Also I don't think it is the AD series interceptors due to the obvious aerodynamic design configuration. Hence the only possible option remaining IMO is the XRSAM. As usual not sure.

View attachment 39729

View attachment 39730

View attachment 39731
Very similar resemblance to canceled Indo-France Maitri SRSAM. But I hope it's an in-house design of a new SAM.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Very similar resemblance to canceled Indo-France Maitri SRSAM. But I hope it's an in-house design of a new SAM.
In the first glance , superficially it might seem so but large differences between the two is quite prominent on closer scrutiny.

Some of the differences i could find

difbt.JPEG

And one of the most prominent difference

Maitri SAM significantly smaller 3x3 vehicle based launcher

mmm.JPEG

Which is comparable and similar to this unknown launcher under development.

9260569_1_jpeg83b5009e040969ee7b60362ad7426573.jpeg

But compared to the unknown missile ( XRSAM ? ) trailer based 6x6 vehicle based launcher with integrated DG set and control cabin , one realises the unknown missile ( XRSAM ? ) is a totally different system. Also note the retracted plume deflector shield in the rear. Plume deflectors are usually employed in long range missile launchers.

jj.JPEG

This also indicates that the unknown SAM ( XRSAM? ) is more than twice the size of Maitri SAM.

6613017_untitled13_jpeg9945d3f7fb31236cfce840e60bfab76a.jpeg

Also if we take the AAD launcher as reference since it also has 6x6 configuration but albeit with differences in wheel position and hydraulic arms position , still it gives us a rough idea on the huge size of the unknown missile ( XRSAM ? ).

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
In the first glance , superficially it might seem so but large differences between the two is quite prominent on closer scrutiny.

Some of the differences i could find

View attachment 39735

And one of the most prominent difference

Maitri SAM significantly smaller 3x3 vehicle based launcher

View attachment 39736

Which is comparable and similar to this unknown launcher under development.

View attachment 39739

But compared to the unknown missile ( XRSAM ? ) trailer based 6x6 vehicle based launcher with integrated DG set and control cabin , one realises the unknown missile ( XRSAM ? ) is a totally different system. Also note the retracted plume deflector shield in the rear. Plume deflectors are usually employed in long range missile launchers.

View attachment 39737

This also indicates that the unknown SAM ( XRSAM? ) is more than twice the size of Maitri SAM.

View attachment 39738

Also if we take the AAD launcher as reference since it also has 6x6 configuration but albeit with differences in wheel position and hydraulic arms position , still it gives us a rough idea on the huge size of the unknown missile ( XRSAM ? ).

Although looks and models could be deceiving, but why we are stuck at those being long lateral chord wings?

porky_kicker

Country flag
Sir, I have another line of thought, it can also be that long range supersonic cruise missile with range of more than 700km, here and in defence circles they were talk of this kind of missile.
Possible, but as per known info LRCM looks like this

images (1).jpeg

Also note the features i pointed out in the unknown missile , it indicates a SAM and not a SSM but still i like to keep an open mind since information is so less. You might be correct also , who knows.

sthf

Country flag
It is most certainly a SAM but highly unlikely to be short ranged one like Maitri was supposed to be. Missile looks quite bulky. The 6x6 gave that away.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Although looks and models could be deceiving, but why we are stuck at those being long lateral chord wings?
AFAIK it allows for better controllability during high AoA maneuvers at high altitudes because at high altitudes maneuverability depends on controllable lift as the deflections produced by the small tail control surfaces might struggle to orient the entire missile at the required AoA to the thinned out airstream

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
AFAIK it allows for better controllability during high AoA maneuvers at high altitudes because at high altitudes maneuverability depends on controllable lift as the deflections produced by the small tail control surfaces might struggle to orient the entire missile at the required AoA to the thinned out airstream
I got the use of chord wings. But I am saying that why we are assuming them just to be chord fins in first place?

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Plume deflectors are usually employed in long range missile launchers.
I can't understand the meaning and usefulness of this.
It can also be employed on short range missiles.
Also in the picture, two chord wings are enough for SAM missile?

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Then what are they ?
I am always open for other possibilities
The booster portion looks like a Integrated Ramjet Rocket Motor. Same as that of Aakash. So why it can't be a Ramjet intake ?
Moreover what is the point of just having two lateral fins instead of 3 or 4. But as I said, pics and models could be deceiving. So lets keep an open mind.

porky_kicker

Country flag
I can't understand the meaning and usefulness of this.
It can also be employed on short range missiles.
Also in the picture, two chord wings are enough for SAM missile?
2 chord wings is doing fine on Mica vl isn't it ?

Astra initial model also had 2 cord wings didn't it ?

Plume deflector is to deflect the hot exhaust away from the launcher , not usually seen in small range sams.

porky_kicker

Country flag
The booster portion looks like a Integrated Ramjet Rocket Motor. Same as that of Aakash. So why it can't be a Ramjet intake ?
Moreover what is the point of just having two lateral fins instead of 3 or 4. But as I said, pics and models could be deceiving. So lets keep an open mind.
Yeah it's best to keep an open mind

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
SORRY STATE OF INDIA'S/DRDO DRONE MANUFACTURING CAPABILITIES.

The DRDO has had some success with small UAVs but projects worthy of the IAF’s needs and wants appear to be very distant in the future. Slow rates of progress and minimal levels of technology lagging far behind the sharply rising curve of UAV development worldwide, have meant that the IAF is dependent on imports which are exorbitantly priced. Notwithstanding the huge push for ‘Make in India’ by the present government, the fact that the fourth largest Air Force in the world is constrained to import UAVs, is a matter of national embarrassment. As long as the public sector has the task of designing and developing UAVs,this state is likely to continue. As UAV deployment and resultant intelligence gathering lie largely in the classified domain, public and political perceptions do not place UAV requirements very high on the list of critically required assets for the IAF. Thus,UAVs are likely to remain near the bottom of the wish list the IAF has, especially as even its shortfall of combat aircraft squadrons remains critical and on the ascendant.
re likely to remain near the bottom of the wish list the IAF has, especially as even its shortfall of combat aircraft squadrons remains critical and on the ascendant.

China has been making notable advances in several military technologies, unmanned platforms being one of them. Open source information lists 1 types of military UAVs in use by China. At the November 2018 Airshow at Zhuhai, China presented a new concept for the use of strike-capable, multi-rotor UAVs flying in a swarm involving the use of several quad-rotor MR-40 and six-rotor MR-150 UAVs fitted with search and targeting radars and reconnaissance subsystems and armed with an array of weapons, including guided missiles and fragmentation bombs, as well as parachute-retarded and rocket-propelled munitions.

Pakistan claims to have an indigenous UAV development programme and boasts of an indigenous armed UAV, having fired a laser-guided air-to-surface missile named ‘Barq’ in 2015, from the Burraq UAV which has been in service with Pakistan since 2013. It is believed that it was developed with Chinese assistance and is closely related to China’ China’s own CH-3 UAV. That brings us to a matter of more serious concern – the fact that Pakistan’s relations with China portend the sharing of UAV technology. The Wing Loong I, in service with the PLAAF as Gongji-1 (Attack-1) is already operated by Pakistan et al and the CH-5 is expected to enter service soon. There are also reports of China now selling 48 of the latest Wing Loong-II strike UAVs to Pakistan. Against this backdrop, the IAF’s UAV capability appears to be woefully inadequate.

India’s endeavours to produce indigenously developed UAVs started in the 1990s with the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) being directed to produce India’s first Nishant UAV based on the Indian Army’s requirement for an intelligence gathering platform over enemy
territory. The Nishant first flew in 1995. However, four Nishants were lost in accidents and the Army lost interest in the craft. Starting 2003, DRDO then developed a MALE UAV Rustom-I, the design based on Rutan Long-EZ Homebuilt aircraft developed by US-based Rutan Aircraft Factor The Rustom-1 was supposed to be a Technology Demonstrator platform for more advanced and more capable UAVs. The Rustom-I had its first flight in 2009, but the project did not evince much interest in the Indian military due to the slow pace of development and an inadequate sensor package. The Rustom-I is unlikely to ever be a full-scale production UAV. Tapas (BH-201),

earlier known as Rustom-II, made its first flight in 2016, but had major technical problems. It will take along time for it to be an operational UAV of use to the IAF although the DRDO has announced that it will be ready for operational use by 2020. In 2014, the DRDO had unveiled Panchi, a wheeled version of the Nishant, but its future is as yet uncertain.
IAF’s needs and wants appear to be very distant in the future. Slow rates of progress and minimal levels of technology (lagging far behind the sharply rising curve of UAV development worldwide) have meant that the IAF is dependent on imports which are exorbitantlypriced. Notwithstanding the huge push for ‘Make In India’ by the present government, the fact that the fourth largest Air Force in the world is constrained to import UAVs is a matter of national embarrassment. As long as the public sector has the task of designing and developing UAVs, this statelikely to continue. As UAV deployment and resultant intelligence gathering lie largely in the classified domain, public and political perceptions do not place UAV requirements very highthe IAF. Thus, UAVs are likely to remain near the bottom of the wishlist the IAF has, especially as even its shortfall of combat aircraft squadrons remains critical and on the ascendant.

janme

Country flag
Has this been posted here before?

Apparently DARE(DRDO) has managed to devloped a jammer pod for Sukhoi 30 MKI.The project was kept under wraps.In the comment section,they are saying that a lighter version is under development for Tejas Mk1A.

Articles