DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Enquirer

How do u compao helina with helifire
@porky_kicker
@Enquirer
@NeXoft007
@Chinmoy
There're several variants of Hellfire missile. The most recent being even with dual-mode seeker!

But the fundamental difference is that Helina is an IIR seeker based ATGM, while Hellfire is Laser-guided or millimeter wave radar guided!!

So, they both operate under very different operational/battlefield conditions; and different types of launch vehicles (laser designator etc). No point in comparing the ranges, accuracy etc of these two missiles.

Given that Hellfire is laser guided, and the launch vehicle takes care of target identification (either via IIR or SAR or MMW)....Hellfire is more versatile.....can be used on different types of targets!

Helina on the other hand needs a heat emanating target....more or less confines its operations to a tank/vehicle that has a running engine!!! So, it's quite limited.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Helina on the other hand needs a heat emanating target....more or less confines its operations to a tank/vehicle that has a running engine!!! So, it's quite limited.
I am sorry but I will strongly disagree ,

Helina IIR seeker's cryogenic cooling unit is used to cool the highly sensitive detectors for sensing even minute heat or infra red signals. This allowed the seeker to discriminate the thermal signatures of its targets in three different thermal scenarios.

1. Thermal differential within the target

2. Thermal differential between the target and the background

3. Surrounding temperature variations.

The inputs from the above 3 are combined and run through complex algorithms to generate a positive thermal image even with a very low thermal contrast of target vis a vis the background , vis a vis the different portions of the target itself, etc to the tune of a mere 0.2 degree Celsius.

So the helina seeker is capable enough to achieve lock on a target tank due to the thermal variations within the different portions of the tank itself eg between tank turret, tank barrel, tank track, tank engine compartment ( even when off ) etc and then combining/comparing with the background thermal differential and then again comparing/combining with the surrounding thermal anomalies/hotspots due to presence of the tank itself.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
I have managed to get my hands on HD pics of the latest cannisterised TEL for A5

It seems to undergone lot of changes especially wrt the suspension , it has a new beefier suspension system with very low profile hydraulic outriggers . Reduced no of axles compared to previous TELs . Overall It's sleek long but with considerably reduced profile.

Note : i cant confirm this visually from the pics , but in addition to the hauler , literature suggests that the trailer is self propelled, independent of the hauler. Beats me how ? I can't see any engine (APU) on the trailer . These guys really come up with weird labeling. Don't hold me to this , as I said previously I can't confirm visually but labelling says otherwise.

I would have loved to post the pics but since last few days i have had this cagey feeling that i i might get into trouble because of the pics

Same with the emp bomb and nuc....... components

@Chinmoy should i hold off for a couple of months ?

Last edited:

Enquirer

I am sorry but I will strongly disagree ,

Helina IIR seeker's cryogenic cooling unit is used to cool the highly sensitive detectors for sensing even minute heat or infra red signals. This allowed the seeker to discriminate the thermal signatures of its targets in three different thermal scenarios.

1. Thermal differential within the target

2. Thermal differential between the target and the background

3. Surrounding temperature variations.

The inputs from the above 3 are combined and run through complex algorithms to generate a positive thermal image even with a very low thermal contrast of target vis a vis the background , vis a vis the different portions of the target itself, etc to the tune of a mere 0.2 degree Celsius.

So the helina seeker is capable enough to achieve lock on a target tank due to the thermal variations within the different portions of the tank itself eg between tank turret, tank barrel, tank track, tank engine compartment ( even when off ) etc and then combining/comparing with the background thermal differential and then again comparing/combining with the surrounding thermal anomalies/hotspots due to presence of the tank itself.
You're overly exaggerating the operational capabilities based on some lab specs!
Until recently the entire hot tank could not be discriminated against a hot background! If the tank were left unused for a while, then the background heat will be higher than the tank itself!

Also, let it be known that similar bragging about the seeker 'sensitivity' was circulated even before the higher resolution FPA array was incorporated......while the missile was failing to hit the targets!!!!

As I mentioned earlier, my post was not to talk about the ACCURACY or EFFICIENCY of the missile itself, but that the two missile function in different classes! Hellfire can also easily target COLD structures...which Helina is not designed to do!

Your post might make a lot of fanboys happy, but my post is the hard truth!

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
You're overly exaggerating the operational capabilities based on some lab specs!
Until recently the entire hot tank could not be discriminated against a hot background! If the tank were left unused for a while, then the background heat will be higher than the tank itself!

As I mentioned earlier, my post was not to talk about the ACCURACY or EFFICIENCY of the missile itself, but that the two missile function in different classes! Hellfire can also easy target COLD structures...which Helina is not designed to do!
I ain't perticular a fan of drdo , but i believe in giving credit were due .

Also i didn't quote the section regarding hellfire vis a vis helina , because i more or less agreed with what you wrote.

I only gave my personal opinion based on official literature on your assertion that helina cannot lock on a tank with its engine shut.

Because as far as I know it can lock on a tank even with the tanks engine shut down.

Thermal differential varies in a tank due to absorbed atmospheric heat and inturn radiated heat due to differences in metallic composition , structural shaping etc, plus localised thermal hotspots / contrasts vis a vis background thermal noise however small can be picked up by a sensitive seeker and rest depends on the algorithms to filter out the thermal profile of the tank. It's not a guaranteed outcome but probability is high .

Anybody is free give a counter point , i am ok with that so let's agree to disagree.

Enquirer

I ain't perticular a fan of drdo , but i believe in giving credit were due .

Also i didn't quote the section regarding hellfire vis a vis helina , because i more or less agreed with what you wrote.

I only gave my personal opinion based on official literature on your assertion that helina cannot lock on a tank with its engine shut.

Because as far as I know it can lock on a tank even with the tanks engine shut down.

Thermal differential varies in a tank due to absorbed atmospheric heat and inturn radiated heat due to differences in metallic composition , structural shaping etc

Anybody is free give a counter point , i am ok with that so let's agree to disagree.
Despite what any 'theoretical' literature might suggest, the fact remains that Nag/Helina has NEVER BEEN TESTED for a cold tank (not a tank that shut off engine few seconds before).
Even the 'test dummies' that DRDO uses, sections of the dummy have heaters to mimic the heat signature of a 'running' tank.
If you know of any TEST done where Nag/Helina locked on and hit a cold piece of metal, please do let me know.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Despite what any 'theoretical' literature might suggest, the fact remains that Nag/Helina has NEVER BEEN TESTED for a cold tank (not a tank that shut off engine few seconds before).
Even the 'test dummies' that DRDO uses, sections of the dummy have heaters to mimic the heat signature of a 'running' tank.
If you know of any TEST done where Nag/Helina locked on and hit a cold piece of metal, please do let me know.
Let me pull your leg a bit

In a desert how are you going to arrange a cold tank ?

Anyways I admit I am wrong sir

I ain't paid to represent DRDO , not that I would love to, provided they paid me salary for it . No money no honey :hat:

Enquirer

Let me pull your leg a bit

In a desert how are you going to arrange a cold tank ?

Anyways I admit I am wrong sir

I ain't paid to represent DRDO , not that I would love to, provided they paid me salary for it . No money no honey :hat:
No offense taken.
By cold tank, I meant at ambient temperature (not heated by engine or artificially)
I wasn't accusing you of being a paid agent.....but will admit I always wonder how you have access to all the cool pics :)
Keep those pics coming...........

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
As far as i know there seems to be 3 types of TELs for strategic missiles ( there may be more )

1. 25 ton TEL
2. 50 ton TEL
3. 70 ton TEL

What i found interesting is there is multiple versions of the 50 ton TEL.

I have found pics of 3 versions of the 50 ton TEL. Already posted pics of 2 of them i think.

The 50 ton TEL is for AGNI 5

That also means that the 70 ton TEL is for AGNI 6+ missiles.

I have a feeling the 70 ton TEL will be something like that of the MAZ all wheel drive TEL.

One reason for that is i have found something which links DRDO to Belarus since last few years. Some sort of cooperation is going on wrt BMD ( that's interesting considering it comes directly from V K Saraswat ) and other unspecified areas.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Previous post as already mentioned i cant 100% guarantee authenticity . But at the least it shows that the capability to develop a relatively compact military grade system with the desired operational parameters ( scalability ) does exist.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Compare the picture of the latest varient which i posted first one post above with the one below

ghjk.JPEG

the one above is 100% confirmed for 50T A5

since this one is for A5 then the one which i posted first is for ? A5 ? A6 ?

Reader discretion is advised . And i am not responsible for authenticity of info.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles