DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

jai jaganath

Country flag
What a dream man
U never know how a Babu can surprise u with his 2000000iq brain
Just like in mk2
Let's say AMCA gets CCS approval this month's DAC then won't both of these prototypes come out together, since there aren't any clauses of engine and stuff anymore?

another_armchair

Country flag

Nine people were killed in a blast at an explosives manufacturing factory in Maharashtra's Nagpur district on Sunday, the police said.

The blast took place at 9 am in a cast booster unit of the Solar Industries in Bazaargaon area, a senior police official said.

Nine people were killed, he said.

The explosives used in coal mining blast were manufactured at the factory, as per sources.

The work of packaging explosives was on when the blast occurred, they said. -- PTI

------------

Unfortunate news. Hope this doesn't delay their supply commitments to forces.

johnj

GOI can burn money - if it feels that technology and stream is needed to support its long term goals. case in point FBR and research in 3stage nuclear processing program in India. Space research etc etc..
Thats why you have DRDO as public enterprise. Now coming to synergizing research unit and manufacturing inc as one This is precisely what being implemented. Now DRDO once develops a product & is accepted by Armed forces - ropes in a manufacturing unit(pvt or public) with whom it works closely in productionizing product. "Productionizing" a Prototype or Lab product is another whole different ballgame which needs Research of its own. Thats why DRDO hand hold production. Once industry is confident they stream roll. Case in point ASTRA Microwave. They were given ToT by DRDO, handheld by DRDO in productionizing Radars in initial batches. now they are spinning their own products.
Spending money to develop FBR or Nuclear program not a waste of money or burring money, its a necessity for securing future of India's energy sector and there is no alternative, its about survival on the other hand Elon Must not a necessity for US. Just imagine India without nuclear power and US without EV
''synergizing research unit and manufacturing inc as one'' and one org for research and manufacturing two different thing, best ex is Dhruv and tejas, Dhruv is a successful program with 100s flying in 4 different versions on the other hand LCA is under final testing stage, same with most of drdo products, worst ex is nag & namica
In the case of astra - consider my earlier post
1702796675409.png

''it is clear that due to lack of Early industrialization Advantage & zero exp, our private need to build up both, before burning money, and experience is key and gov need to pay all funds, "
Some private/public sector using foreign or gov R&D to produce products and in future they follow HAL/CSL./MDL path, funding their own R&D using profits, but now they need order to recover the money used to set up manufacturing unit and tech acquisition, In one way or another GOVERMENT pays 95% of money required for everything except marketing/bribe, doesn't matter its private sector or gov or public

Counter Q- Why private sector need to do R&D when majority of Gov DPSU, OFB etc depend on foreign and DRDO labs for R&D

Shuturmurg

Country flag
umm... subtracting fuel required for Take off and Landing.. what is the fuel fraction left for intercept? What is the maximum height achieved by it? What advantage does it have over QRSAM - other than reusability? How is it guided towards threat?
Its like a loitering cruise missile, dual use of surveillance plus area defense, however will be too expensive against cheaper shahed type drones. They are expecting cost to be around 300-500k USD, doesn't make sense to use this for cheap ass suicide drones.

raju1982

Country flag
Let's say AMCA gets CCS approval this month's DAC then won't both of these prototypes come out together, since there aren't any clauses of engine and stuff anymore?
dream on.

First saw MCA when I was in class 5 on ProtonRiver forum. Saw AMCA brochure when I was in high school, i guess AI 2009 or 2011. Now i am 30 years old and have a kid still it is not even sanctioned by govt. I think before first squadron in IAF (2045) even my kid will graduate. :rofl:

Aniruddha Mulay

Interesting perspective on the reason for Funds hold up for LCA mk2 before inking of F-414 TOT deal

View attachment 233049
Makese sense, you would have made Tejas Mk2 prototypes with the 8 GE F414 engines already delivered to India, but Serial Production would have become a major headache if the F414 deal fell through

Azaad

Country flag
Makese sense, you would have made Tejas Mk2 prototypes with the 8 GE F414 engines already delivered to India, but Serial Production would have become a major headache if the F414 deal fell through
In any case that is precisely what we're doing now which makes the entire delay moot. I mean what has changed really as of today?

RN we're still awaiting F-404 deliveries which've been delayed by a few months whereas the same is being supplied to RoK to meet their needs in which case we aren't aware if the delay is deliberate as in a function of geopolitics or it's a genuine delay which will be rectified soon.

I'm not very sanguine about further developments in the Mk-2 case as long as L'affaire Pannun persists. It may be we would have to wait for the results of the US Presidential elections next year, hoping the incumbent doesn't return to power & the incoming aspirant is more accommodative of our position.

Else we'd have to reach a modus vivendi which'd take time with this administration assuming it is possible which I'm not optimistic about.

I'm afraid we haven't heard the last of the Mk-2 saga as of now which translates to mean there's a good chance it'd not make first flight by 2027 & may well be further delayed. Unfortunately this'd have a fallout on successive programs like AMCA & TEDBF too.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles