DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Fatalis

Country flag
Now, I am painting a very faint picture in my mind.

MRSAM + M1/M2/M3 Booster can possibly be 3 new missiles.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
I think we're replacing barak-8 MRSAM with our own Atmanirbharata missle.
Barak-8 is already more or less indigenous; all critical components are made in India so it makes absolutely no sense to reinvent the wheel unless we come up with something radically advanced.

Moreover the upcoming ERSAM or XRSAM whatever it is, is pretty much just a Barak-8 with an additional booster, do I don't think they plan to replace Barak-8. Atleast in near future

Lonewarrior

Country flag
And this is under Project Kusha.

No-one knows if this LRSAM is MRSAM + Booster or ERSAM or XRSAM. And it is having two Program names: Program LRSAM and Project Kusha.
Now, I am painting a very faint picture in my mind.

MRSAM + M1/M2/M3 Booster can possibly be 3 new missiles.
The warhead of Barak-8 is a whopping 60kg bund blasting device and it's seeker is precise enough to do a hit-to-kill interception.

Now come to hit-to-kill vehicles, modern HTK vehicle are extremely lightweight. The LEAP KV on Standard Missiles are a mere 6kg unit.

So reading everything, especially keywords like "LRSAM", "kill vehicle" and "dual pulse motor"...my intuitions tell we are planning to replace the HE warhead of Barak-8 to make something similar to PAC-3 CRI or Aster-30

Lonewarrior

Country flag
That's like 90 years.. Can the airframe actually survive that much use?
US can raise the service life of their F-15Es to a max of 32,000hr but only after extensive airframe upgradation.

If we also plan to upgrade not just the engines and avionics but airframe too then given it'll be done by HAL, the cost would easily touch that of a "new-old" jet like Rafale in 2050

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
US can raise the service life of their F-15Es to a max of 32,000hr but only after extensive airframe upgradation.

If we also plan to upgrade not just the engines and avionics but airframe too then given it'll be done by HAL, the cost would easily touch that of a "new-old" jet like Rafale in 2050
Repeat of the Mirage 2000 upgrade drama yes. Ideally they should start being retired post 2050. But unless they find a multirole fighter with similar range and payload we'll be seeing Mig-21 electric boogaloo as per tradition.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Repeat of the Mirage 2000 upgrade drama yes. Ideally they should start being retired post 2050. But unless they find a multirole fighter with similar range and payload we'll be seeing Mig-21 electric boogaloo as per tradition.
What I like the most is this optimistic attitude of Indian MIC

Engines suck, super Sukhoi is nowhere to be seen, you still don't have a viable option on drawing board to replace it...forcing you to keep them in service for a freaking 80 years.

But they take this as some impossible feat they've achieved, something no one else can do.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
BUT ukriane also says that they phucked the Kinzhal..? Or maybe Kinzhal has a high failure rate, and was deployed in a hurry.. as usually happens during war..
Velocity and maneuverability are kind of inversely proportional after a certain flight regime. Just as you cross Mach 3 it becomes more and more difficult to control the craft. Obviously you can change the course of the trajectory of even a Mach 25 ballistic missile but it won't be anywhere as agile or "responsive" as say a Mach 2 fighter.

First, second...a quasi-ballistic missile no matter how much quasi it is will always be ballistic. Which causes two problems, the trajectory becomes predictable and as the missile is coming down from above it becomes visible quite early.
Screenshot_2023-07-22-21-55-36-46_6bcd734b3b4b52977458a65c801426b0.jpg

So if you compare both the trajectory then definitely suppressed one is way hard to detect and predict using equations than traditional one but only up to the point just prior of "warhead arming"...from there it behave just like any other ballistic missile.

Now compare that to a sea skimming missile like BrahMos
Screenshot_2023-07-22-22-11-41-59_6bcd734b3b4b52977458a65c801426b0.jpg

As it flies just meters above the ground it effectively hides in the "radar shadow" for a much longer period of time. When finally it is picked up by radar it's way close with very fast velocity to effectively engage it.

Moreover quasi-ballistic missiles use either GNSS+INS or DSMAC+INS and in both the cases they head for a fixed point in xyz plane as compare to say BrahMos/Onyx which has active-seeking radar enabling it to evade efficiently.

And interesting point you may ask it then how come we claim to engage BrahMos with Barak-8!? Well there isn't any "terrain" in sea, it's just a vast flat expanse of water with occasional waves. So compared to a land engagement we are able to see the missile way early

Lonewarrior

Country flag
It's been more than two decades since MMRCA was envisioned, MiG-35 became almost extinct, Rafale got selected, Super Hornet are going to be replaced by F-35s, sooner or later Typhoons would too, Tejas is around the corner...

...and then there's Saab; continuosly trying to persuade MoD to buy Gripen since last two decades.

Boys should take some notes on how to deal with their crushes.

Articles