DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

blackleaf

Country flag
Do we still rely on Russian parts to keep the T-90s operational? Given the state of Russia right now any military equipment that requires Russian spares is a potential liability.
We will need to start replacing the T-90s soon anyway. Given how procurement works I'm not very optimistic of getting a new MBT inducted soon.
Poland is getting 250 M1A2s and 980 K2s by the 2030s to replace their 972 older T-72s. That is the kind of procurement we need.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I came across an interesting thing.
In medieval era, golden horde of jochi one of the grandsons of chinngis khaan, controlled the area of what is today russia, yes western Russia.
They supplied horses, to India.
India had never good horses so all kingdoms imported horses, horses were in so much demand that.
Chandragupta 2 of gupta empire in 380 AD literally crossed hindukush to destroy huns and secure supply of horses so that he could finally completely conquer gujarat and destroy the foreign scythian power there, and he was successful in both.
Anyway in medieval ages ,horses of jochids were bred in Russia and supplied to India, via ilkhanate which was iran , so a proto North South transport corridor it was.and in todays time most of our tank fleet too is also Russian made, some things never change lol.
@vishnugupt
@Bleh
@Lonewarrior
@Lonewolf
@Tactical Doge ( chew bone waawaaweewee)
@Waanar ( you monke, eat bannana)

jai jaganath

Country flag
Do we still rely on Russian parts to keep the T-90s operational? Given the state of Russia right now any military equipment that requires Russian spares is a potential liability.
We will need to start replacing the T-90s soon anyway. Given how procurement works I'm not very optimistic of getting a new MBT inducted soon.
Poland is getting 250 M1A2s and 980 K2s by the 2030s to replace their 972 older T-72s. That is the kind of procurement we need.
But I sad that thatarjun has been shelved

Aniruddha Mulay

With the kind of requirements put forth by the Indian Army, any tank on the current market is not going to suffice.
Will require a tank to be developed from scratch

Sayman Ame

Country flag
I came across an interesting thing.
In medieval era, golden horde of jochi one of the grandsons of chinngis khaan, controlled the area of what is today russia, yes western Russia.
They supplied horses, to India.
India had never good horses so all kingdoms imported horses, horses were in so much demand that.
Chandragupta 2 of gupta empire in 380 AD literally crossed hindukush to destroy huns and secure supply of horses so that he could finally completely conquer gujarat and destroy the foreign scythian power there, and he was successful in both.
Anyway in medieval ages ,horses of jochids were bred in Russia and supplied to India, via ilkhanate which was iran , so a proto North South transport corridor it was.and in todays time most of our tank fleet too is also Russian made, some things never change lol.
@vishnugupt
@Bleh
@Lonewarrior
@Lonewolf
@Tactical Doge ( chew bone waawaaweewee)
@Waanar ( you monke, eat bannana)

As for "some things never change lol", I am reminded of Marco Polo's account of how Indian kingdoms' wealth was splurged on Middle East trade of horses (much like we shell out money for oil purchases, a commodity that we don't have, we didn't have war horse breeds back in the Medieval proper) .
In one account on his south India visit he writes "Here no horses are bred. Great part of the wealth of the country is wasted in purchasing horses".

Blood+

Country flag
As for "some things never change lol", I am reminded of Marco Polo's account of how Indian kingdoms' wealth was splurged on Middle East trade of horses (much like we shell out money for oil purchases, a commodity that we don't have, we didn't have war horse breeds back in the Medieval proper) .
In one account on his south India visit he writes "Here no horses are bred. Great part of the wealth of the country is wasted in purchasing horses".
Was there any specific reason behind that??

Sayman Ame

Country flag
Was there any specific reason behind that??
Never found a convincing answer for that, probably because not much research has gone into the horse's history in India. A person above has quoted a book that I too found back when I had your question. There's a book review of hers on The Print. It does touch upon the Harappa-Vedic era vacuum and the big Horse question of it all. But a lot more needs to be answered post that. I haven't read the book yet, and don't know if she goes on to explain what happened in the medieval period.
But I think it's because we have had elephants, the gentle beasts, to route and absolutely terrorize our enemies in the battlefield. While asses and horses found convenient environs in grasslands (which we sparsely have- which also explains why the only horse remains from Harappan period were from the grasslands of Gujarat), the Elephant found a suitable home in India's geography. And I'm guessing from there on, given India's huge forest swathes, our people found it easy to domesticate these beasts for war. There's also this theory that India didn't have the "stirrup technology" until late 1000AD , but I don't see how a nation that nearly controlled trade economy of the world, couldn't lay it's hands on such a tech from where it was already available.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
What a tragedy, well understandbale.
Horses need vast grasslands, goodluck finding those in India.
They are wonly found in steppes, the chene had same issues but they had mongolia right behind them.
On the other side of the wall.
In our case, we developed a original breed called marwari, the best war horse ever tbh.
It has required speed, it has massive endurance meaning can walk in desert for 3 days or even more if needed between short rests
Has magnificent hearing ability so can detect enemy quickly and experienced riders can understand it as well.
Extremely loyal, carried maharana pratap out of haldi ghati alive, and only died when the maharana was safe out of reach.
It is said the wounded chetak ran nonstop till it collapsed on ground finally
The marwari was bred by rajputs

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
In South India it is correct but in North marwari and kathiyawadi were indigenous answers to the horse issue.
Rajputs used marwari almost exclusively

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Ayye man, no description for me?

Anyways whatever you said is more or less accurate. But as long as we keep buying we don't have much of a choice.
your description :
You alone, you retreat and regroup then counter attack

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Never found a convincing answer for that, probably because not much research has gone into the horse's history in India. A person above has quoted a book that I too found back when I had your question. There's a book review of hers on The Print. It does touch upon the Harappa-Vedic era vacuum and the big Horse question of it all. But a lot more needs to be answered post that. I haven't read the book yet, and don't know if she goes on to explain what happened in the medieval period.
But I think it's because we have had elephants, the gentle beasts, to route and absolutely terrorize our enemies in the battlefield. While asses and horses found convenient environs in grasslands (which we sparsely have- which also explains why the only horse remains from Harappan period were from the grasslands of Gujarat), the Elephant found a suitable home in India's geography. And I'm guessing from there on, given India's huge forest swathes, our people found it easy to domesticate these beasts for war. There's also this theory that India didn't have the "stirrup technology" until late 1000AD , but I don't see how a nation that nearly controlled trade economy of the world, couldn't lay it's hands on such a tech from where it was already available.
There were stirrup toe stirrup though. During mauryan era itself
The gupta empire was actually first which fought huns and thus had large armeis of horses.
Heck they even had horse archers, you can't defeat nomads without the horse.

binayak95

Country flag
no the environs of India dont support the breeding of huge warhorses. the Indian breeds have great stamina, but are lithe and fast. Not strong and brutish that the percherons and destrier types of old were known for.

The mughals used to import horses by the hundreds of thousands from transoxania and the black sea. The home of the warhorse.

binayak95

Country flag
Tbh the stirrup is overrated af. neither the Numidians nor the Romans nor the Sarmatians nor the ancient Iranian Saravan had access to stirrup. they fought perfectly well without them.

What they had was the four horned saddle which gave enough grip and support to the rider to fight perfectly well.

Heck, even Belisarius's legendary Bucellarii fought without stirrups. And they were hybrid heavy cavalrymen who fought with lance, sword and the bow.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Highly offtopic, but although surviving Indian breeds are from medieval period the Kathiawari or Marwari are superior to Bactrian or Arabian horses in every way... so much so that Shahjahan switched to use of these. No reason to believe their forefathers weren't there same.
maxresdefault (1).jpg
14317532_1818419728403823_3905189966177016415_n.jpg

Those myths were most likely cocked up later to justify Hindus becoming the bitch of every horsefucker that passed by.

Chandragupta 2 of gupta empire in 380 AD literally crossed hindukush to destroy huns and secure supply of horses so that...
Sounds like fiction. Source please?

Last edited:

Articles