DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

AnantS

Country flag
I read this news. But I am asking, what confidential data are we talking about here.
I asked whether its the same Solar industries... you mean what confidential data got leaked in Solar industries case? No idea but see screenshots from article. Checkout there is a screenshot from Assembly Line and Line Equipments from internal web cam:
1678088192488.png

1678088205326.png

1678088217151.png

1678088229425.png

1678088256062.png

Chinmoy

Country flag
How else can can swift be used by armed forces?...the discussion was about if there's a potential for swift being inducted in armed forces
Now you could see the problem. Its inherent among all of us. Its kind of genetic.
"Baccha paida hua nahin ki, we decide, yeh bada hokar engineer banega".

SWiFT is a tech demonstrator. It would be used to validate the flying wing design. SWiFT in itself is not a platform. Once the whole design gets validated along with its control laws ad software, platform would be designed on basis of that design. Then the decision would be made that whether to use it as surveillance or attack platform.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I asked whether its the same Solar industries... you mean what confidential data got leaked in Solar industries case? No idea but see screenshots from article. Checkout there is a screenshot from Assembly Line and Line Equipments from internal web cam:
View attachment 195796
View attachment 195797
View attachment 195798
View attachment 195799
View attachment 195800
That's the same company. But I am asking that what you have mentioned as stolen data is whether originally stolen or been kept to steal.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
View attachment 195801

Yeah. This too has been designed by a bunch of fools.
Yoo...that's my man.
I like people like these who initiates a healthy conversation, anyways...

So answer this question of yours
This too has been designed by a bunch of fools.
No, they were not.
Why? Because they kept the outer diameter of the projectile 155mm. Remember in case of any shenanigans you add to an artillery shell you would have to trade it for effective explosive mass. In a typical vanilla shell you get a certain amount of HE. Add BB to it, it decreases slightly. Add RAP, it further goes down. And in case of guided projectile like Excalibur or Krasnopol the reduction is stark.

In case of ramjet powered projectile you now have to add GNC, CAS, solid propellant and perhaps most "wasteful" air-intake in the same SWaP of a 155mm HE shell.

So in case of NAMMO...
IMG_20230306_141303.jpg

The fins are smaller than the OD of the shell. So ultimately despite losing HE charge for air intake and propellant it still benefits from the overall diameter of 155mm.

Now coming to the pic or perhaps why I said they lack knowledge or artillery.
IMG_20230306_141236.jpg

See the other diameter?
The explosive content decrease further.

All in all, you posted a pic to counter my argument and the pic was of what exactly I wanted them to make.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Yoo...that's my man.
I like people like these who initiates a healthy conversation, anyways...

So answer this question of yours

No, they were not.
Why? Because they kept the outer diameter of the projectile 155mm. Remember in case of any shenanigans you add to an artillery shell you would have to trade it for effective explosive mass. In a typical vanilla shell you get a certain amount of HE. Add BB to it, it decreases slightly. Add RAP, it further goes down. And in case of guided projectile like Excalibur or Krasnopol the reduction is stark.

In case of ramjet powered projectile you now have to add GNC, CAS, solid propellant and perhaps most "wasteful" air-intake in the same SWaP of a 155mm HE shell.

So in case of NAMMO...
View attachment 195802
The fins are smaller than the OD of the shell. So ultimately despite losing HE charge for air intake and propellant it still benefits from the overall diameter of 155mm.

Now coming to the pic or perhaps why I said they lack knowledge or artillery.
View attachment 195803
See the other diameter?
The explosive content decrease further.

All in all, you posted a pic to counter my argument and the pic was of what exactly I wanted them to make.
Yo man... Have you seen something like this?

XM982_Excalibur_inert_(cropped).jpg

That is known as retractable fin system.

Now I do appreciate your thought of that being a ready product. But in reality, it has to undergo vibration test, shock test, fluid dynamic test among others to be even ready for getting fired from a barrel.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Yo man... Have you seen something like this?

View attachment 195804

That is known as retractable fin system.

Now I do appreciate your thought of that being a ready product. But in reality, it has to undergo vibration test, shock test, fluid dynamic test among others to be even ready for getting fired from a barrel.
But are those fins retractable on that ramjet?
The answer's no. Coz whenever you have already chosen to make a foldable fin you don't hesitate in making it longer; exactly like you pointed in the pic of Excalibur you posted; thin long fin.

Now look the those stubby short fins on the ramjet shell. Do you really think they are foldable.

And even if I assume they are, then that bring us to the next point. A further decrease in HE mass because of foldable fins

Chinmoy

Country flag
The answer's no. Coz whenever you have already chosen to make a foldable fin you don't hesitate in making it longer; exactly like you pointed in the pic of Excalibur you posted; thin long fin.

Now look the those stubby short fins on the ramjet shell. Do you really think they are foldable.

And even if I assume they are, then that bring us to the next point. A further decrease in HE mass because of foldable fins
FqLgmrSWcAI_G9O.jpg

Look at the circle positions (hope its visible). Do you see them aligned to each other? They are not. Look at the nose cone. Where you think the shockwave would form? If you want the shockwave to enter the shell, the nose cone has to be smaller or much smaller in length.
So this is a test setup to study the flow of air at supersonic speed.

Now coming to fore fins part.

Nammo-155-ExR_01-800x445.jpg

XM982_Excalibur_inert_(cropped).jpg

Why the fore fins of RAMJET shell is smaller then the Excalibur shell?

You don't make the fin size bigger because it would look sexy. You decide on the wing size based on the amount of airflow. Excalibur shell flies at ~2.5 Mach. RAMJET works much efficiently at +3Mach. So a larger wing do have inherent issue at high velocity. So you decide on its size only after extensive study done in wing tunnel models.

So this particular pic is a study model and designers know too well on what they are designing. For record, the designer here is General PR Shankar (Rtd) who was Director General of Artillery. So he knows his stuff better then most of us here I believe.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag

That could be remedied by the much longer body of the ramjet shell compared to the NAMMO. Not saying it is for sure better, but I would want to see a spec sheet on it before I criticize the design. Without it, we cannot make conclusions from a blurry image and no info.

Articles