DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Chinmoy

Country flag
When do u think we can finish testing and induct it
Testing?

First we have to develop the system. Academia is working on the theoretical part and lab study of various subsystem to be involved. This is something which no one has deployed yet. Quantum sensor is not a hardware. Its amalgamation of multiple tech.

jai jaganath

Country flag
Testing?

First we have to develop the system. Academia is working on the theoretical part and lab study of various subsystem to be involved. This is something which no one has deployed yet. Quantum sensor is not a hardware. Its amalgamation of multiple tech.
So a long development time is expected
Anyway it's worth waiting

AnantS

Country flag
That's the same company. But I am asking that what you have mentioned as stolen data is whether originally stolen or been kept to steal.
lol I dont expect the Chankianess in security among our newly minted pvt defense companies. Sorry the extent of hack and CBI enquiry getting ordered tells you the leak was serious

Lonewarrior

Country flag
What confidential data?
Propellant composition and dimensions of most of the non-ballistic missiles; Pinaka, Akash, Astra, Brahmos, ATGMs, etc
Technical Data Package of smaller warheads; ATGMs
TDP of almost all GP bombs
TDP of almost all AP/AT mine

Nothing serious from industry standard because the government never shares anything truly sensetive with a private player in the first place; but ya, it's a error from their end so they deserve the scrutiny

Lonewarrior

Country flag
View attachment 195805

Look at the circle positions (hope its visible). Do you see them aligned to each other? They are not. Look at the nose cone. Where you think the shockwave would form? If you want the shockwave to enter the shell, the nose cone has to be smaller or much smaller in length.
So this is a test setup to study the flow of air at supersonic speed.

Now coming to fore fins part.

View attachment 195806

View attachment 195807

Why the fore fins of RAMJET shell is smaller then the Excalibur shell?

You don't make the fin size bigger because it would look sexy. You decide on the wing size based on the amount of airflow. Excalibur shell flies at ~2.5 Mach. RAMJET works much efficiently at +3Mach. So a larger wing do have inherent issue at high velocity. So you decide on its size only after extensive study done in wing tunnel models.

So this particular pic is a study model and designers know too well on what they are designing. For record, the designer here is General PR Shankar (Rtd) who was Director General of Artillery. So he knows his stuff better then most of us here I believe.
Then let's just see how much similar the inducted model looks than this pic shown here.

If it remains the exact same, then you win. If it's changed then I

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
Propellant composition and dimensions of most of the non-ballistic missiles; Pinaka, Akash, Astra, Brahmos, ATGMs, etc
Technical Data Package of smaller warheads; ATGMs
TDP of almost all GP bombs
TDP of almost all AP/AT mine

Nothing serious from industry standard because the government never shares anything truly sensetive with a private player in the first place; but ya, it's a error from their end so they deserve the scrutiny
Aren't TDP and Propellant composition sensitive?

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Aren't TDP and Propellant composition sensitive?
Depends on what exactly they are of.
If your 70mm rocket has double the range of say Hydra 70, then ya, that propellant is sensetive. Similarly if your ATGM can defeat an Active Protection System then it's sensitive. But in this case everything's pretty simple and some even obsolete.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Wow... What a logic.
Actually that's the only logic possible here that'll decide whose design philosophy was correct.

I mean if you can arrange for a supersonic wind tunnel and a blasting test range then we can definitely decide there but otherwise it's the only way.

Gyyan

Country flag
Screenshot_2023-03-06-18-26-56-715_com.android.chrome.png

Makes me wonder how the porkies claim Edge in BVR even if they have PL15.
PL15E has a range of 145 km which will be outranged by astra mk2.

DumbPilot

Country flag
View attachment 195811
To show the complexity of a BVR fight:

It is under this assumption that I feel, and you should too, completely disregard anything that the HAF wants to say about ranges, because electronics play a huge role too.

Chinese missiles have kinetic range, but then suppose we learn about how Chinese electronics are piece of shit, and their planes can't shoot unless within 30km. How about then? : P

This aspect of the fight we can't really say anything conclusively, because a pilot himself will tell you that most of this will absolutely depend on the context of the situation

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
To show the complexity of a BVR fight:

It is under this assumption that I feel, and you should too, completely disregard anything that the HAF wants to say about ranges, because electronics play a huge role too.

Chinese missiles have kinetic range, but then suppose we learn about how Chinese electronics are piece of shit, and their planes can't shoot unless within 30km. How about then? : P

This aspect of the fight we can't really say anything conclusively, because a pilot himself will tell you that most of this will absolutely depend on the context of the situation
View attachment 195811
In general, all these numbers are fake; it is common to wildly overstate or understate missile ranges for a2a missiles, in order to prevent enemy from taking advantage of knowledge of your range.

If you want good insight into A2A combat, look up Grim Reapers and Growling Sidewinder on Youtube, they play DCS which is realistic enough that its basically modern air combat.

karn

Country flag
In general, all these numbers are fake; it is common to wildly overstate or understate missile ranges for a2a missiles, in order to prevent enemy from taking advantage of knowledge of your range.

If you want good insight into A2A combat, look up Grim Reapers and Growling Sidewinder on Youtube, they play DCS which is realistic enough that its basically modern air combat.
All of them use open source data like this one to model their missiles and aircraft in DCS.. And they put that disclaimer themselves.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
All of them use open source data like this one to model their missiles and aircraft in DCS.. And they put that disclaimer themselves.
Yes, but quite often they ignore data if it seems like a clear bluff and choose to go with more feasible values. Plus if you listen to them, they make it clear that the values may be bogus and how it impact air combat.

DumbPilot

Country flag

Agree on the first point, not on the second.

Grim Reapers and Growling Sidewinder are bottom of the barrel when it comes to accuracy. If you want to see as close to actual BVR sorting and flow.

BVR combat is far more work than just lobbing missiles 4v4 with AI and no coordination at all. Here is one which is actually realistic:

There are proper comms, proper timeline flows, proper commit procedures which are akin to real life.

It is also why IAF does so much foreign exercises. Western SOPs are really good, and if we are able to get on a level similar to them then we will be inter-operable and have capability to halt or even punch any Chinese offensive right in the jugular.

Last edited:

Articles