DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Fatalis

Country flag
SystemAkash-NGQRSAM
UsersIndian Air ForceIndian Army
RadarX-band MFRX-band BMFR, C-band BSR
Range3km to 30km*3km to 30km
Altitude14km6-10km*
Components1 Weapon System contains 6 Firing Units with each FU having 4 Missile Launch Vehicles. Each MLV contains 6 ready to fire missiles.1 Weapon System contains 3 Batteries with each battery having 4 Combat Groups with each CG having 1 Missile Launch Vehicle. One MLV contains 6 ready to fire missiles.
Total Missiles per System
144​
72​

Lonewarrior

Country flag
SystemAkash-NGQRSAM
UsersIndian Air ForceIndian Army
RadarX-band MFRX-band BMFR, C-band BSR
Range3km to 30km*3km to 30km
Altitude14km6-10km*
Components1 Weapon System contains 6 Firing Units with each FU having 4 Missile Launch Vehicles. Each MLV contains 6 ready to fire missiles.1 Weapon System contains 3 Batteries with each battery having 4 Combat Groups with each CG having 1 Missile Launch Vehicle. One MLV contains 6 ready to fire missiles.
Total Missiles per System
144​
72​
MuH mIliTaRy Iz ReDuNdAnT...

aspdeepak

Country flag
MuH mIliTaRy Iz ReDuNdAnT...
Nope, they are different class of missiles.

QRSAM - Quick Reaction, as the name suggests these are meant for infantry that's mobile and very fast to respond any areal threats(low-flying, smaller) than the normal SAMs. Will replace old/obsolete OSA missiles.

Akash-NG - Traditional SAM, mostly for protection against high value strategic ground(immobile) assets. Its better than the previous version of AKASH, since its lighter, canisterized(protected against env), more missiles per launcher.

Last edited:

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Nope, they are different class of missiles.

QRSAM - Quick Reaction, as the name suggests these are meant for infantry that's mobile and very fast to respond any areal threats(low-flying, smaller) than the normal SAMs. Will replace old/obsolete OSA missiles.

Akash-NG - Traditional SAM, mostly for protection against high value strategic ground(immobile) assets. Its better than the previous version of AKASH, since its lighter, canisterized(protected against env), more missiles per launcher.
🤦‍♂️

There is nothing like a Quick Reaction SAM and traditional SAM, all have same reaction time and velocity...ESAD turns off, firing signal is generated, squib is fired aur phir lagti hai solid propellant ki g**nd me aag aur शूईईई...

Again wrong about how QRSAM is supposed to be more mobile and keep up with infantry. QRSAM is mounted on truck and one variant of Akash is based on BMP-2; now you tell me, which's more mobile?

It's a simply a result of convergent evolution where Akash evolved into Akash NG and Astra into QRSAM and now we have this weird redundancy that makes absolutely no sense.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
🤦‍♂️

There is nothing like a Quick Reaction SAM and traditional SAM, all have same reaction time and velocity...ESAD turns off, firing signal is generated, squib is fired aur phir lagti hai solid propellant ki g**nd me aag aur शूईईई...

Again wrong about how QRSAM is supposed to be more mobile and keep up with infantry. QRSAM is mounted on truck and one variant of Akash is based on BMP-2; now you tell me, which's more mobile?

It's a simply a result of convergent evolution where Akash evolved into Akash NG and Astra into QRSAM and now we have this weird redundancy that makes absolutely no sense.
do elaborate on this bold part if possible.

johnj

🤦‍♂️

Astra is not qrsam. astra developed into vl srsam.
qr sam is outcome of maitri & trishul pgrms.
akash ng is next generation of akash for ex. f16 & f22.
QR sam is specially designed to destroy in very close range targets- where time required for interception is less than 5 seconds.[qrsam, less than 3sec]. Om the other hand long range missiles gets gets more than 10/15 sec.
akash - iaf
qrsam - army
vl sam- navy

Lonewarrior

Country flag
do elaborate on this bold part if possible.
What are the things that a Akash NG can do but QRSAM can't? Or what are the things that a QRSAM can do but Akash NG can't?
(And I'm asking about significant difference, not something like one's engagement altitude is 10km send other's 15.)

And if they're not that different then what's the point of diverting money in doing R&D for that? What's the point of maintaining two separate assembly line? Or why intentionally increase logistical issues when already it has unintentionally became such a mess?

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Astra is not qrsam. astra developed into vl srsam.
qr sam is outcome of maitri & trishul pgrms.
akash ng is next generation of akash for ex. f16 & f22.
QR sam is specially designed to destroy in very close range targets- where time required for interception is less than 5 seconds.[qrsam, less than 3sec]. Om the other hand long range missiles gets gets more than 10/15 sec.
akash - iaf
qrsam - army
vl sam- navy
Again Bro, it makes no sense.
There's nothing like close range so less time and long range so more time. Absolutely not. How?

What's the closest ranged SAM a country fields? A MANPAD? And reaction time of a MANPAD? You know better than me

Sprint was an anti ballistic missile, weighted more than three tonnes and in less than 15 sec it engaged targets at ranges up to 30 km