DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag

@Chinmoy sir you or can anyone else explain what it means
he means that IDEX will form the basis of some common workhorse uavs and drones that will be widely accepted and inducted into the indian military (which means it will be an undeniable success story).

IGMDP was the program that formed the basis of what has almost removed all the dependence of the military from foreign missiles of all types.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag

@Chinmoy sir you or can anyone else explain what it means
Integrated guided missile development programme was brian child of kalam sir, to attain self sufficiency in missile development within India. 40 years later India does have self sufficiency in almost all categories of missiles. it worked because it was taken up on mission mode instead of traditional supply demand dynamics. in India mission mode projects work because GoI has the authority to mandate all stake holders to get involved including finance ministry.

similarly Innovations for defence excellence Idex as a concept is ensuring multiple stake holders to co-operate and co-ordinate with each other, to keep the ball moving. in IGMDP, private sector was not a direct stake holder, in Idex private sector has a key role to play.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Integrated guided missile development programme was brian child of kalam sir, to attain self sufficiency in missile development within India. 40 years later India does have self sufficiency in almost all categories of missiles. it worked because it was taken up on mission mode instead of traditional supply demand dynamics. in India mission mode projects work because GoI has the authority to mandate all stake holders to get involved including finance ministry.

similarly Innovations for defence excellence Idex as a concept is ensuring multiple stake holders to co-operate and co-ordinate with each other, to keep the ball moving. in IGMDP, private sector was not a direct stake holder, in Idex private sector has a key role to play.
he means that IDEX will form the basis of some common workhorse uavs and drones that will be widely accepted and inducted into the indian military (which means it will be an undeniable success story).

IGMDP was the program that formed the basis of what has almost removed all the dependence of the military from foreign missiles of all types.
Thank you both of you got it

flanker99

Country flag
Bit correction, the missile on the pylon with the yellow cap is actually I-Derby ER.

And the missile on the ground is puzzling me. Honestly, it looks like an un-finned AIM-120 but I guess that is not possible. In my rich career of aviation OSINT, I have never seen this missile and this is driving me nuts :rotfl:

It is a missile rail, and this is standard practice. This allows the missile to be "launched" from the rails instead of dropped like free-falling bombs.

You just posted a picture of chaffs, which is a type of counter-measure used to evade radar. I believe you were trying to post something else ?
I derby has fins in front the one in pic doesn't have anybsuch fins....im pretty sure the one in pylon is asraam

Lonewarrior

Country flag
I derby has fins in front the one in pic doesn't have anybsuch fins....im pretty sure the one in pylon is asraam
Okay...let's go back to some boring bookish theory.

There is nothing called a fin on a missile; it's called surfaces. Usually there are two types of surfaces; control surfaces and stabilizing surfaces.
Stabilizing surfaces are fixed extension whose sole purpose is to keep the missile moving in the direction we want to and prevent any unwanted effect of say wind or roll. Control surfaces are obviously the ones that steer the missile.

In stabilizing surfaces, things are very straightforward; a metal plate attached by some screws. But in case of controlling surface things get bit complicated, you now have freely moving surfaces with two distinct systems; one being the servo that controlls it and other being the position feedback system. Everything is tuned, so if servo deflects by 7.32° the feedback will show the same. But if some how the surface gets damage while handling everything gets out of sync, the missile thinks it has deflected by 5° but the actual deflection is 7°. To prevent this all the controlling surface are removed and only attached just before flight. In case of stabilizing surfaces there is no such requirements.

So in this case it's a Derby with its controlling surface removed.

And also ASRAAM has smaller fins than the one on LCA

flanker99

Country flag
Okay...let's go back to some boring bookish theory.

There is nothing called a fin on a missile; it's called surfaces. Usually there are two types of surfaces; control surfaces and stabilizing surfaces.
Stabilizing surfaces are fixed extension whose sole purpose is to keep the missile moving in the direction we want to and prevent any unwanted effect of say wind or roll. Control surfaces are obviously the ones that steer the missile.

In stabilizing surfaces, things are very straightforward; a metal plate attached by some screws. But in case of controlling surface things get bit complicated, you now have freely moving surfaces with two distinct systems; one being the servo that controlls it and other being the position feedback system. Everything is tuned, so if servo deflects by 7.32° the feedback will show the same. But if some how the surface gets damage while handling everything gets out of sync, the missile thinks it has deflected by 5° but the actual deflection is 7°. To prevent this all the controlling surface are removed and only attached just before flight. In case of stabilizing surfaces there is no such requirements.

So in this case it's a Derby with its controlling surface removed.

And also ASRAAM has smaller fins than the one on LCA
I must admit u and @mist_consecutive is r8 hadnt noticed the size of the fins

SavageKing456

Country flag
It will meet the fate of mk-2
Doesn't make sense until no ccs approval has been given
This is what I have learnt in mk-2 fiasco
Moreover I think cmd of any govt psu should not openly speak about timelines until ccs approval not given
Any statement before it is just assumption
Even further it dents their credibility
Coming to amca safely 3 years or atleast 2.5 years from ccs approval
Well i had already said back in 2020s
That delay in fund will delay timelines
This isn't surprising

jai jaganath

Country flag

So much money and opportunity going out. TATA should have manufactured some of these in-house.
It has been told by many people many times and in every sm
Don't know when they will start
I heard modi in his early days of pm tried to invite manufacturing civilian aircrafts if he really did then why such golden opportunities being left out

Crazywithmath

Country flag
It has been told by many people many times and in every sm
Don't know when they will start
I heard modi in his early days of pm tried to invite manufacturing civilian aircrafts if he really did then why such golden opportunities being left out

Also, Boeing apparently was about to start assembly line at BLR pre-covid but finally decided to not pursue after demand reduced due to the Wuhan virus.

Also, going by some reports GoI is in talks with Embraer for the 'joint development' of a turboprop aircraft. Do not know how much truth they contain.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
What would happen if promotions are tied to induction of indigenous weapons and platforms, just a thought?
Lure of dollars is much more compared to measly promotion

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Retd. Chief of Indian Air Force, R. K. bhadauria visited e plane company! one of the best air chief in recent times!#visionary
View attachment 192887View attachment 192888
This leads me to think if a Pvt company headed by an ex IAF chief (committed of course to aatmanirbharta) would have shot at getting large orders ? The chief using his connections etc...or the lobby would still be too strong and scuttle such a company also ?

flanker99

Country flag
This leads me to think if a Pvt company headed by an ex IAF chief (committed of course to aatmanirbharta) would have shot at getting large orders ? The chief using his connections etc...or the lobby would still be too strong and scuttle such a company also ?
All the shipyards in the coutry are run by ret admirals vice admirals ...same way IAF shouldve got a stake in hal ada's ops as well...atleast that way they will take ownership of projects instead of treating it like a step child or unlike army who says "iT IsnT aRMy'S joB tO DevELoP WeaPONs"