DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
There is a fine line between clever and wise.

Making an APFSDS without using a gun and this process creating the only guided APFSDS; is 80kg missile capable of travelling at Mach 5 and generating so much much of kinetic energy at a distance of 4km that no warhead is required...clever

A small COTS drone light enough to be carried in backpack and armed with a 2kg warhead which is more than enough to penetrate the thin roof armour at a distance of more than 10km...wise
Yeah, saying here cos I read somewhere in one of the DRDO document that Hypervelocity missiles such as these were of interest for them. This was years ago.
Well we always have to make do with scraps, had we more than needed budget we could have atleast used extra budget to fund such projects atleast as Tech demonstrators. Who knows what kind of offshoot thing can come out.
One of the advantage that comes to mind is if the target is protected by aps capable of top attack protection, but then maybe a simple swarm of 4 mini drones with simple heat warheads will cost cheaper for top attack.
Everyday things get harder in defense field.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Country flag
tejas with asraam and also a finless missle on the ground can anyone identify it?

View attachment 193102
Bit correction, the missile on the pylon with the yellow cap is actually I-Derby ER.

And the missile on the ground is puzzling me. Honestly, it looks like an un-finned AIM-120 but I guess that is not possible. In my rich career of aviation OSINT, I have never seen this missile and this is driving me nuts :rotfl:

I remembered someone, once criticized the middle connector between the pylon and the adaptor of Astra!!! anyone has idea why it is like that? why do we need a connector to connect our own missile to our own aircraft?
It is a missile rail, and this is standard practice. This allows the missile to be "launched" from the rails instead of dropped like free-falling bombs.

A picture is worth thousand words
View attachment 193113
You just posted a picture of chaffs, which is a type of counter-measure used to evade radar. I believe you were trying to post something else ?

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
A picture is worth thousand words
View attachment 193113
Chaff huh, sure, this will be needed in future against mmw seeker missiles.
Battlefield seems to be getting very complex each day, I guess we will need to put all kinds of soft kill as well as hard kill on each and every combat platform on air, land and sea. I hope forces understand the importance of a well updated self protection suite.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
You just posted a picture of chaffs, which is a type of counter-measure used to evade radar. I believe you were trying to post something else
Absolutely not; I was just posting the picture of most cost effective solution to deal with the problem of APS. Now by God's grace it happened to be chaffs, so that's it.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
tejas with asraam and also a finless missle on the ground can anyone identify it?

View attachment 193102
Can't ID is positively.

What's puzzling is given the audacity of HAL, they'll never showcase a missile without fins. So there's a chance that what we are looking at may not be a missile at all. May be it's a SPJ pod.

But assuming it's a missile, the nose cone is opaque and pointed; so most probably it's a BVRAAM. And there are three identical hangers arranged in the rear half of the body.
Almost all the BVRAAM I know either use two hangers or in case they use three then the middle one is considerably different than other two.

The only missile I can think of to remotely resemble this hanger arrangment is this one
Astra Mk2 BVRAAM.jpg

...and it makes things even more puzzling.

NutCracker

Country flag
I remembered someone, once criticized the middle connector between the pylon and the adaptor of Astra!!! anyone has idea why it is like that? why do we need a connector to connect our own missile to our own aircraft?
maybe compatibility issue..
Tejas pylon might be built with sliding rails and demo missile with ejector mechanism...

or vice versa.