DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

porky_kicker

Country flag
Dear DFI members

I have no choice but to acknowledge my dad have abandoned us & a defaulting criminal. He had put us under severe debt trap from 15 different sources, most of which remained unknown to me until his disappearance. I have a mom under psychiatric medication & a brother still studying. My shop is in shambles as well.

I wrote this message in the last hour as I ran out of time and am pleading for help with whatever anyone of you can. If you could outsource help from your contacts, along with feasible guidances, that would be a blessing for me as well.

Here's my UPI ID 🙏🏻
Egnanon@oksbi
If anyone can help in anyway, do consider

Shuturmurg

Country flag
Great article on impact of starlink on war in Ukraine :

Some extract from article :

By May around 150,000 people were using the system every day. The government quickly grew to rely on it for various communication needs, including, on occasion, the transmission of the nightly broadcast by Volodymyr Zelensky, Ukraine’s president. Because the dishes (some of which are round and some rectangular) and their associated terminals are easily portable and can be rigged to run off a car battery, they are ideal for use in a country where the electricity and communication networks are regularly pounded by Russian missiles. When Kherson was liberated in November Starlink allowed phone and internet services to resume within days.

Crucially, Starlink has become the linchpin of what military types call c4isr (command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance). Armies have long relied on satellite links for such things. An hour before Russia launched its attack, its hackers sought to disable thousands of modems associated with the terminals which provide access to the main satellite used by Ukraine’s army and government, among many other clients. But the capabilities Russia sought to degrade in that pre-emptive strike were far less advanced than the capabilities Ukraine enjoys today.

Starlink does not just provide Ukraine’s military leaders with a modicum of connectivity. The rank and file are swimming in it. This is because of the singular capacities of the Starlink system. Most satellite communications make use of big satellites which orbit up at 36,000km. Perched at such a height a satellite seems to sit still in the sky, and that vantage allows it to serve users spread across very large areas. But even if such a satellite is big, the amount of bandwidth it can allocate to each user is often quite limited.

The orbits used by Starlink’s much smaller satellites are far lower: around 550km. This means that the time between a given satellite rising above the horizon and setting again is just minutes. To make sure coverage is continuous thus requires a great many satellites, which is a hassle. But because each satellite is serving only a small area the bandwidth per user can be high. And the system’s latency—the time taken for signals to get up to a satellite and back down to Earth—is much lower than for high-flying satellites. High latencies can prevent software from working as it should, says Ian Muirhead, a space researcher at the University of Manchester. With software, rather than just voice links, increasingly used for tasks like controlling artillery fire, avoiding glitches caused by high latency is a big advantage.

Franz-Stefan Gady, of the International Institute for Strategic Studies, a think-tank, recently visited the Ukrainian front lines and saw an example of what cheap, ubiquitous connectivity makes possible: a sort of Uber for howitzers. Ukrainian soldiers upload images of potential targets via a mobile network enabled by Starlink. These are sent to an encrypted group chat full of artillery-battery commanders. Those commanders then decide whether to shell the target and, if so, from where. It is much quicker than the means used to co-ordinate fire used up until now.

The system also makes drone warfare much easier. In September a Ukrainian naval drone washed up in Sevastopol, the Crimean headquarters of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet with what looked like a Starlink terminal attached to its stern. In late October seven similar drones were used to mount a successful attack on the port. Ukraine published a video of the attack shot from the boat’s bow. “Ukrainian military operations are hugely dependent on having access to the internet,” says Mr Gady, “so Starlink is a most critical capability.” A Ukrainian soldier puts it more starkly. “Starlink is our oxygen,” he says. Were it to disappear “Our army would collapse into chaos.”

This kind of connectivity is something no previous army has enjoyed. Western armies fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq had access to some vast flows of data. For the most part, though (with special forces being the notable exceptions) they found it very hard to get that information to where it was needed in a timely manner.

One former member of the British armed forces recounts an operation he conducted a decade ago to find some explosives. While he flew to the site where they were thought to be, a surveillance drone showed them being moved elsewhere. Brigade headquarters, which could see the drone’s feed, passed on the intelligence to his company command over a satellite channel by voice. The company command then relayed the news to his helicopter by high-frequency radio. Each hop added time and confusion. In today’s Ukraine, he notes, he could simply have accessed the live drone feed himself.

Such frustrations led the Pentagon to start talking of “Joint All-Domain Command and Control” (jadc2, for those keeping score at home), an approach which would allow information from more or less any drone, plane or soldier to be easily sent to whatever missile, gun or aircraft might be best placed to use it. If that sounds familiar, it should. “What we are seeing with Starlink is where the us wants to be in terms of connectivity,” says Thomas Withington, an expert on battlefield communications. Developing such a capability within the military-industrial complex has been slow; the bureaucracy has proved predictably resistant. Now it seems all but available off the shelf.

This would be of only theoretical interest if Starlink, conceived as a civilian service, were an easy target in times of war. So far it has not been. Russia’s armed forces have lots of electronic-warfare equipment that can locate, jam or spoof radio emissions. But the Starlink signals are strong compared with those from higher flying satellites, which makes jamming them harder. And the way that the dishes use sophisticated electronics to create narrow, tightly focused beams that follow satellites through the sky like invisible searchlights provides further resistance to interference. “Unless you can get a really good bead on where that beam is coming from, it’s very hard to get a jamming signal into the receiver,” says Mr Withington.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
View attachment 188524

Any idea which company is this?
TVS Sundaram Industries pvt ltd, written on upper right corner of pic. Don't know if the design of this load hauler is indian or screwdrivergiri of Israeli similiar system, looks similiar to me, probably is, even the treads on tires match
I always have double doubts on any Indian company showing a good product, as we know they are particularly not known for putting their own money in R&D

johnj

Which project had ever declared complete by UN Generals so far?? None.
lol, becz DRDO is not controlled by UN Generals.
This is not joke but Nag is perhaps only missile in the world which work in scorching heat of Thar and have decent range too but UN Generals are still not happy. What we can do
True, IA also cleared and only missile meets IA requirements as per IA field trials, but where is the order ??
MOD should bring a separate agency which look upon trials and testing rather then leaving multi billion industry on the mercy of UN Generals.
True, DRDO is a incapable organisation - better placed under IA, under colonel rank, current management [UN Generals- ias, mba, engg, scientists] were incapable of completing a projects.

Why MOD placing order of nag missile ?? or still under limited production ?? [outdated- its 3rd gen atgm.]

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
lol, becz DRDO is not controlled by UN Generals.

True, IA also cleared and only missile meets IA requirements as per IA field trials, but where is the order ??

True, DRDO is a incapable organisation - better placed under IA, under colonel rank, current management [UN Generals- ias, mba, engg, scientists] were incapable of completing a projects.

Why MOD placing order of nag missile ?? or still under limited production ?? [outdated- its 3rd gen atgm.]
I don't know, the kind of some RFIs Army put out are out of the world. First let them get that atleast in the order than we can think of further things. Integration can be encouraged but I will strictly put DRDO out of IA.

Articles