DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Ah it's optics related stuff again

From 2013

(CBS News) WASHINGTON The cybersecurity issues aren't the only U.S. concern has about China. The Pentagon is growing increasingly worried about relying on military components made in China.

The Hellfire missile -- launched from helicopters, jets and predator drones -- has been a critical weapon in the war on terror. But the propellant that fires the missile must be imported from China.

It's not the only area where the Pentagon military depends on imports. The glass in U.S.-made night vision goggles requires a soft white-colored metal called lanthanum, 90 percent of which comes from China.

Wannabe_Lelouch

Country flag
ello. Not sure if this is the right place to ask for career advice.

I am a 22yo Engineering student who always wanted it go in the defense sector ( actually wanted to go in the army but I am smart so It would be a waste)). I know about the sleazy nature of DRDOs operation so my goal was to sign up for a private company.

My feild of interest is small technologies that have a significant impact on the ground. eg Drones and sensor networks.

Current goal is to finish gate and apply at DRDO institute in Pune. But I am having second thoughts. Should I enter the feild without master? Is Pune the right choice? Should finish my masters in germany instead? should I just start a company instead? i do not know..

Chinmoy

Country flag
Accepting 18hr is better than killing the entire program
How you are killing the whole system by not inducting a below par system?

In fact now I remember when I already replied to the point that, IA and DRDO negotiated and agreed on term of 18 hrs endurance and 28k feet instead of 35k advertised by DRDO. So IA is not definitely killing the program.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag

I am a 22yo Engineering student who always wanted it go in the defense sector ( actually wanted to go in the army but I am smart so It would be a waste)). I know about the sleazy nature of DRDOs operation so my goal was to sign up for a private company.

My feild of interest is small technologies that have a significant impact on the ground. eg Drones and sensor networks.

Current goal is to finish gate and apply at DRDO institute in Pune. But I am having second thoughts. Should I enter the feild without master? Is Pune the right choice? Should finish my masters in germany instead? should I just start a company instead? i do not know..
If going into govt research labs, best to study as much as possible before you go into job. Else you will have to waste too much time in starting from the bottom.
Depending on your background, look into masters in CS/AI/Aerodynamics etc. If you want, a PhD woiuld get you another bump in rank as long as you finish it within a couple years.

As for your own company, I would not recommend trying to do that unless you have atleast a cad model of what you want to make, and have done a basic feasability study on the design. Importantly, dont invest your own money into the thing. When trying for startups, always get an investor to put in the money. Chances of failure are rather high, as are capital requirements.

Wannabe_Lelouch

Country flag
If going into govt research labs, best to study as much as possible before you go into job. Else you will have to waste too much time in starting from the bottom.
Depending on your background, look into masters in CS/AI/Aerodynamics etc. If you want, a PhD woiuld get you another bump in rank as long as you finish it within a couple years.

As for your own company, I would not recommend trying to do that unless you have atleast a cad model of what you want to make, and have done a basic feasability study on the design. Importantly, dont invest your own money into the thing. When trying for startups, always get an investor to put in the money. Chances of failure are rather high, as are capital requirements.

I have a model actually. My final year project is an automated turret that tracks decides and shoots hostile targets. I am using industrial (still imported though) items which are more functional for such a task. I dont think its something really exceptional but it would offer alot of functionality with modifications. :3

The system is designed just as a "base" to which any gun can be mounted on. I was wondering if any such projects already exist in the defense market.

I want to work in using the full potential of existing technologies.

binayak95

Country flag

DM me your resume.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Baba Kalyani is the sole reason that India has went from having a a total of zero indigenous artillery systems sometime in 2012 to having atleast 8 indigenous options on offer in 2022.
He put in his own money and time to make sure that India is at this stage when it comes to artillery systems.
You mean to tell me that MaRG 155-BR, Garuda 105, ULH-S, ULH-T, ULH-ER are all licensed copies of some foreign system LoL, goes to show your ignorance.View attachment 186755
Makes me cry that IA has not place one single order for any of these ....crying shame. Endless trials and ditch. Any other country even a banana republic or even porkies would have lapped up all these. But IA behaving like a spoilt brat.

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
Makes me cry that IA has not place one single order for any of these ....crying shame. Endless trials and ditch. Any other country even a banana republic or even porkies would have lapped up all these. But IA behaving like a spoilt brat.
IA did worse by conducting endless trials and then rejected it. The credibility of company was damage they should have sued

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
How you are killing the whole system by not inducting a below par system?

In fact now I remember when I already replied to the point that, IA and DRDO negotiated and agreed on term of 18 hrs endurance and 28k feet instead of 35k advertised by DRDO. So IA is not definitely killing the program.
IIRC DRDO was trying for 24hrs endurance after 18 was proven. Did we get any news about that?

ObiWanKenobi

Country flag
These quadcopters are a commodity now. You buy OTS components like pixhawks, structural parts, motors etc. You integrate it into the spec you need.

The key is software. What kind of sensors it has, and what it can do with it, better still what many of them can do together and how the user controls it.

These drone startups are software companies in terms of value. Flying a quadcopter is not the intrinsic value here.

Articles