DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

In the last 3 years, we have successfully delivered a myriad of body armor, ballistic helmets, and night vision solutions towards the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Modernization Act, in our endeavour to empower heroes across the world. ⁣⁣
⁣As a customer to MKU, the Philippines has consistenly emphasized on the importance of quality defence solutions for its armed forces, above all else.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Now I have came across many such nonsense comments here too. Yesterday itself I mentioned someone like you who was saying that since we are deploying T-90 in Ladakh, what is the use of Light tank. Nonsense like this is genetic to some people who sees things just in perspective of adventure instead of practical daily basis usage.

We had already deployed F77H at 10000 feet. So people like you come up with comments like what was the use of M777 then? But have you even considered what happens with the life cycle of a vehicle which would be towing a 11 ton gun at that altitude day in and day out? Its not like you take it up there and leave it at a place year around.

You think that since we are deploying T-90 at that altitude, it would work wonder. But have you ever wondered how much the engine had to bleed to move those 50 ton around at that altitude? Have you ever thought about the movement constraint it has to face with all those weight?

Have you ever seen how much a 6*6 Tatra or Kraz truck with more powerful engine bleed at those altitude where a 2.5 tonner TATA troop carrier move with ease?

Have you ever thought that why are we not deploying a transport fleet or fighter jets in our ALGs or upgraded those ALGs to host a fleet permanently?

But leave alone thse sane practical discussion. It may be too much for you to handle. I've never supported ATHOS over ATAGS. And I for record know that weight of ATAGS had been brought down and it nearly matches the criteria of RFI. But I'd for sure question our approach towards designing. Why can't we make a lighter gun, when Israel could make one?
Do you know the ATAGS has a larger chamber than that ATHOS? This allows it to have the range record for a 155/52 gun. There will always be a weight penalty for that.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Audit guys take up R&D as similar to manufacturing. For them both are same. If you go on and tell them that you can't bind R&D in time and budget frame, they would laugh at your face. The biggest mistake our government has kept on doing was to include DRDO under CAG.
That's why I keep on saying that unless and until our private companies takes up R&D seriously instead of forming JV and manufacturing under license, we can't expect a robust MIC in India. But people think that our private industries are doing great making copies of one thing or other.
Fully agreed. Firstly it is stupid that Indian leadership thinks it wise to put unobtainable targets on everything (but such is the appetite of the public) however when these are not met that isn’t a failure as they are declared to be by the media/public/CAG. In most cases these are first of a kind projects that need to build base infrastructure and capabilities

learning is never wasted, all these criticisms consistently applied to DRDO helps no one but foreign OEMs and their agents in the services.

abingdonboy

Country flag
That record by ATAGS is using non rocket ammo, and is the world record for non rocket assisted ammo..... All these articles (like of that american SPH also) are using rocket assisted ammo to get those ranges. If rocket assisted ammo is fired from ATAGS, similar boost in range will be there.
The American system was also 155/58

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Bhim SPH was ^this near^ to completion then all sudden 'reports of Denel bribing officials emerged' and it got put under muh bleklist hurr durr - we ended up kopying NTW-20 fork as Vidhwanshak but failed to go that way with Bhim SPH and armed forces kept using Abbot 105mm and ;Chhapre waali; (literally 🤷‍♂️ ) M46 Catapults for another decade or so - finally getting SoKorean K-9 Thunder after evaluations in 2012-2014 phase and ordering it in mudi sirkar 1 era...
and now IIT Madras etc developing ramjet propulsion ammo for it etc...
and now there are talks for repeat order of more 100 K-9

Imagine such enthusiasm was shown for Bhim project, we could've trully become atmanirbhar with that but it suffered same fate as all other good stuff here 🤷‍♂️

still as i mentioned in past, i do wish to see revival of Bhim SPH under Kalyani, as in past we were importing main gun turret from Denel, now we have same GC-45 based gun in possession with Bharat-52
It's probably impossible to find a vdo on Bhim SPH going bang bang and showing its features, so putting a vdo of most near thing to that (minus chassey part which is wheeled vehicle here instead of Arjun's tracked one), utilising Denel G5 howitzer as gun in that boxy turret (G5 is again south african fork of Dr. Gerald Bull's GC-45)

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
It's probably impossible to find a vdo on Bhim SPH going bang bang and showing its features, so putting a vdo of most near thing to that (minus chassey part which is wheeled vehicle here instead of Arjun's tracked one), utilising Denel G5 howitzer as gun in that boxy turret (G5 is again south african fork of Dr. Gerald Bull's GC-45)

DumbPilot

Country flag
Dont worry, IN will
(sort of off topic from the context in which you posted this) Without going into anything classified, what is the issue with IA or IAF in purchasing homegrown stuff? I know that there is the foreign lobby, but surely it can't be so influential?

Is it the failure of good communication between these agencies? Lack of a proper mindset? Inertia in the decision making officers - hesitation? I know that the PSUs are equally to blame, all of them work in a rotten cycle. What can be done to improve it?

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
(sort of off topic from the context in which you posted this) Without going into anything classified, what is the issue with IA or IAF in purchasing homegrown stuff? I know that there is the foreign lobby, but surely it can't be so influential?

Is it the failure of good communication between these agencies? Lack of a proper mindset? Inertia in the decision making officers - hesitation? I know that the PSUs are equally to blame, all of them work in a rotten cycle. What can be done to improve it?
The never ending trials proves that it is not the issue of communication but rather a sabotage. Such trials are never conducted for foreign equipment and their reason to reject indigenous equipment is straight laughable.
Navy on other hand has done much better job of adopting indigenous stuff except for submarines.

binayak95

Country flag

IAF and IA never did create a cell within their organization to do self R&D and to integrate closely with industry, unlike IN which did so in the 60s.

IAF and IA have started the same today, but that of course means that it will take some time before the travails and problems associated with self development trickles down into the hierarchy.

DumbPilot

Country flag
IAF and IA never did create a cell within their organization to do self R&D and to integrate closely with industry, unlike IN which did so in the 60s.

IAF and IA have started the same today, but that of course means that it will take some time before the travails and problems associated with self development trickles down into the hierarchy.
Thanks for clarifying. If you have knowledge on this topic, why didn't IA and IAF start their own R&D cells? Constraint from those times? Something else?

The never ending trials proves that it is not the issue of communication but rather a sabotage. Such trials are never conducted for foreign equipment and their reason to reject indigenous equipment is straight laughable.
Navy on other hand has done much better job of adopting indigenous stuff except for submarines.
Never ending trials are definitely something, but as @binayak95 wrote out, there are gaps, where the Navy, for being the least funded as it is, has been way better at supporting indigenous efforts than the other services. Just want to understand why exactly there are these deficiencies in these branches.

Articles