DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

jai jaganath

Country flag
Well as I mentioned in my earlier posts if MRFA gets killed (it is being strangulated by GoI) then we will be taking a gamble that we won't be in a war for the next 8-10 years till LCA (both Mk1A and Mk2) get rolled out in sufficient numbers. And anyone following geopolitics can clearly point it out as a very risky gamble.

?? I think IAF Chief already clarified that this is not the case. Anyway, I cannot find the source you are talking about, can you point me in its direction ?

Even if he did say that, I don't think we will be buying any foreign jet after MRCA (if it even happens), so rest easy. The lifespan of ACM is around 2-3 years so he will be long gone when LCA Mk2 comes into production.
Why can't ordering huge nos of mk1 and mk1a increase the production rate
I mean when u order in large nos the rate will increase thus the delivery

johnj

30 billion dollars to import Rafales?
Versus
30 billion dollars invested in Indian Aerospace sector? I will always choose the later.
Though both orders and yearly numbers for MK1A, MK2 should be increased if IAF is willing.
lol, its like supporting chinese 5 finger demand for chinese investments.
For your info, 20~30 billion dollars not for import Rafales, but for Indian Aerospace sector for building rafale in India. 126 rafale cost around 15~18 bil. Anyways its too late for mmrca/mrfa. Mk2 & engine jv is the best option Better spend 15 bil to those and its way better than mrfa/mmrca.
LCA becomes back bone of IAF.

flanker99

Country flag
Why can't ordering huge nos of mk1 and mk1a increase the production rate
I mean when u order in large nos the rate will increase thus the delivery
Dont jump on me for saying this ..but mk1a has its limitations...it can't fulfill the role of a mwf...best option is to purchase 36-54 rafales directly...no matyer what drdo ada says mk2 isnt getting inducted before 2030 ...and we absolutely need more jets

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
lol, its like supporting chinese 5 finger demand for chinese investments.
For your info, 20~30 billion dollars not for import Rafales, but for Indian Aerospace sector for building rafale in India. 126 rafale cost around 15~18 bil. Anyways its too late for mmrca/mrfa. Mk2 & engine jv is the best option Better spend 15 bil to those and its way better than mrfa/mmrca.
LCA becomes back bone of IAF.
The former deal was way better than the lollipops...IAF need Rafales in good number,they can't fullfill it's requirement with a light aircraft(that's why they ordered only 83 additional LCAs to replace token number of migs that has and will retire)...every program brings uncertainty, kaveri engine and LCA Saga is not very old,and given the way democracy works, surety can't be expected at any point....every year from 2019(when LCA mk2 was first shown as delta canard)the mk2 program with all the optimistic timeline and talks has experienced delays ,and this is probably why IAF is not in mood to give up MWF import from outside and go wholeheartedly with ADA on mk2....

blackleaf

Country flag
Dont jump on me for saying this ..but mk1a has its limitations...it can't fulfill the role of a mwf...best option is to purchase 36-54 rafales directly...no matyer what drdo ada says mk2 isnt getting inducted before 2030 ...and we absolutely need more jets
The problem with the rafales is that the French production line is fully booked until 2030 so if we want rafales sooner they would need to be built somewhere else. To make the investment of setting up a new line in India viable there would need to be an order of more than 100.

johnj

The former deal was way better than the lollipops...IAF need Rafales in good number,they can't fullfill it's requirement with a light aircraft(that's why they ordered only 83 additional LCAs to replace token number of migs that has and will retire)...every program brings uncertainty, kaveri engine and LCA Saga is not very old,and given the way democracy works, surety can't be expected at any point....every year from 2019(when LCA mk2 was first shown as delta canard)the mk2 program with all the optimistic timeline and talks has experienced delays ,and this is probably why IAF is not in mood to give up MWF import from outside and go wholeheartedly with ADA on mk2....
IAF wanted 180 mmrca, 144 fgfa & 12 sqn of lca[mk1 &mk2] & wanted to field all these jets before 2035/40.
IAF only considered buying 40 lca mk1a, 2 sqn, and rest by 10 sqn of mk2, IAF ordered 83 mk1 due to falling sqn strength. IAF wanted more powerful engine for lca & ada choose ge414, and further r&d wrt ge414 & iaf requirement, lwf mk2 become mwf mk2. I think 99 ge414 for mk2 chosen by upa gov, but mk1a only happened 3~4 years back.

Master Chief

Country flag
Again the fallacy that MRFA is a quick solution, it cannot possibly deliver until almost the 2040s now

And IAF’s halving of LCA MK.2 numbers:

How anyone can justify this is beyond me. The end result is the IAF will barely be 10-20% larger than the PAF come 2030 and on a tactical scenario actually inferior to the PAF in strength as IAF’s numbers have to be split on 2+ fronts.
Seems Modi Gov. seems to have concluded that, With MRFA or without MRFA the IAF will never be ready for war against China.. That is why for all the IAF antics, GOI is cool about more Foreign maal.. If China wants more land, India will give more land by calling it buffer, but there will be no new foreign fighters for IAF..
For all the machismo of IAF veterans on TV, GOI knows the aukaat of IAF..

Knowitall

Seems Modi Gov. seems to have concluded that, With MRFA or without MRFA the IAF will never be ready for war against China.. That is why for all the IAF antics, GOI is cool about more Foreign maal.. If China wants more land, India will give more land by calling it buffer, but there will be no new foreign fighters for IAF..
For all the machismo of IAF veterans on TV, GOI knows the aukaat of IAF..
You would think that post the absolute pathetic performance in balakot they would actually show some shame and rush for indigenous solutions and upgrades but no they are still busy crying over foreign maal.

Govt postion vis a vis IAF seems to have hardened post balakot and it is very clear that they have lost confidence in IAF to deliver and thus have taken matters into their own hands.

IAF should consider themselves lucky that modi and co had a election to win in 2019 or abhinandan would have been court martialed for disobeying direct orders which resulted in a huge clusterfuck and halted any further offensive actions from our side.

omaebakabaka

You would think that post the absolute pathetic performance in balakot they would actually show some shame and rush for indigenous solutions and upgrades but no they are still busy crying over foreign maal.

Govt postion vis a vis IAF seems to have hardened post balakot and it is very clear that they have lost confidence in IAF to deliver and thus have taken matters into their own hands.

IAF should consider themselves lucky that modi and co had a election to win in 2019 or abhinandan would have been court martialed for disobeying direct orders which resulted in a huge clusterfuck and halted any further offensive actions from our side.
Add to that, they are building up in missile strength as they are atleast not imports and if 240 mki's are not enough to hold pakistan then thousand may not be enough either.....with China war will go differently as we can't match them one on one in any one thing. But still we will be anemic in air force and only god save us.

assassin162

Country flag

Right. Fully agreed.

omaebakabaka

Sadly will be used for killing their civilians, and driving more refugees into india.
Thats the line I would expect from west whenever we export anything while they export their weapons to Saudis to kill houthis and Pakis to commit terror attacks not to mention Ukraine.

They can do whatever they want with it....

Shuturmurg

Country flag
Thats the line I would expect from west whenever we export anything while they export their weapons to Saudis to kill houthis and Pakis to commit terror attacks not to mention Ukraine.

They can do whatever they want with it....
Selling for geopolitical reasons if fine. But how is more refugees in our country better for us ?

Tiwariji

Country flag
Is nt all this cries about less number of lcamk2 , IAF bad so immature . What was the trigger ? We have only seen lca mk2 in animation . Not even protoype yet ... It ll have to fly , ll go through testing and all .. No mk1a yet as well . God.. ll have to reduce the frequency of visit here , the amount of negetivity out of thin air is amazing .

omaebakabaka

Selling for geopolitical reasons if fine. But how is more refugees in our country better for us ?
Stopping intruders is BSF job, this has nothing to do with exporting shit. If we don't then China will do or something else....you don't need 122mm to kill people. Hard to say how many are truly Indian on this forum

Shuturmurg

Country flag
Stopping intruders is BSF job, this has nothing to do with exporting shit. If we don't then China will do or something else....you don't need 122mm to kill people. Hard to say how many are truly Indian on this forum
They are using airforce on their population. And as for refugees, go and see in Mizoram, already overflowing with refugees. Hope govt. give Mizoram more support. Mynamar border is pretty porous (jungle+mountain), very hard to stop people crossing over.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
They are using airforce on their population. And as for refugees, go and see in Mizoram, already overflowing with refugees. Hope govt. give Mizoram more support. Mynamar border is pretty porous (jungle+mountain), very hard to stop people crossing over.
I swear boarder near Myanmar and Bangladesh gets barely any attention people just flock over

Shuturmurg

Country flag
I swear boarder near Myanmar and Bangladesh gets barely any attention people just flock over
Bangladesh border actually has fencing, but the problem is no fencing can be 100% + corruption of border guards. Another problem is there is no natural border between bangladesh and India.

As for myanmar, there is not massive movement of people across borders in normal times, since region on both sides are pretty sparsely populated.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
IAF wanted 180 mmrca, 144 fgfa & 12 sqn of lca[mk1 &mk2] & wanted to field all these jets before 2035/40.
IAF only considered buying 40 lca mk1a, 2 sqn, and rest by 10 sqn of mk2, IAF ordered 83 mk1 due to falling sqn strength. IAF wanted more powerful engine for lca & ada choose ge414, and further r&d wrt ge414 & iaf requirement, lwf mk2 become mwf mk2. I think 99 ge414 for mk2 chosen by upa gov, but mk1a only happened 3~4 years back.
-all that happened more than a decade ago,so no point arguing on that...
-Tejas mk1a was proposed in 2015 when IAF finally limited mk1 order to just 40,the first mk1a will be inducted in 2024....
By the way this is fastest by Indian standards....

Last edited:

Articles