DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

omaebakabaka

Why is Akash NG range stated to be just 30km? Wasn't Akash NG meant to be our desi-Barak-8 type MRSAM? Its now saying its SRSAM?
Isn't that in line with Medium range as far as engagement goes, target acquisition may be longer though...30km radius and 20 km altitude ?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Isn't that in line with Medium range as far as engagement goes, target acquisition may be longer though...30km radius and 20 km altitude ?
Nah, 30 km is short range. Same as Akash Mk1 and Chinese HQ-16A. Heck even the QRSAM has a 30km range and much shorter emplacement, decampment and reaction times. 20 km altitude is something Akash Mk1 has as well.
MRSAM of IAF and IA is Barak-8 with 70km range.
Radars having longer range is a norm.

If its just 30km, what is the Akash NG then trying to achieve? Just a larger NEZ due to dual pulse propulsion and other radar upgrades?

omaebakabaka

Nah, 30 km is short range. Same as Akash Mk1 and Chinese HQ-16A. Heck even the QRSAM has a 30km range and much shorter emplacement, decampment and reaction times. 20 km altitude is something Akash Mk1 has as well.
MRSAM of IAF and IA is Barak-8 with 70km range.
Radars having longer range is a norm.

If its just 30km, what is the Akash NG then trying to achieve? Just a larger NEZ due to dual pulse propulsion and other radar upgrades?
I wonder if it has two versions and SRSAM is not dual pulse? Looks like more indigenous content and faster response times overall and lighter missiles....any p-values listed or expected against various types of targets?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I wonder if it has two versions and SRSAM is not dual pulse? Looks like more indigenous content and faster response times overall and lighter missiles....any p-values listed or expected against various types of targets?
No official ever said Akash NG having two versions. So that seems unlikely.
Don't think its been tested enough times to even arrive at such values against various targets, although they would have a SSKP as design target I'd imagine. But I don't think mode detailed data will ever be revealed to public. At most we'll get a SSKP figure.

Fatalis

Country flag
I'm not sure if the range mentioned here is actual but I always thought Akash NG will have a range in between 30-70 km.

I also find it to be tailor made for IAF as they were the one funding it for their requirement of Low Level Quick Reaction System which will always be on standby for protecting the airbases.

I'm not sure if IA has requirement for such system when they already got QRSAM which has similar role.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I'm not sure if the range mentioned here is actual but I always thought Akash NG will have a range in between 30-70 km.

I also find it to be tailor made for IAF as they were the one funding it for their requirement of Low Level Quick Reaction System which will always be on standby for protecting the airbases.

I'm not sure if IA has requirement for such system when they already got QRSAM which has similar role.
LLQRM is already fulfilled by SPYDER so don't think IAF is looking for those anymore. This happened after Trishul failed, so Navy went for Barak-1 import (that aged fast) while Army and Air Force went for Maitri, but when that also failed, Air Force went for SPYDER import and Army went for ..... nothing. Then Army funded QRSAM and Navy funded VL-SRSAM as Barak-1 replacement, but don't think IAF is looking to do the same as SPYDER is fairly modern.

Also, Akash NG army launcher also exists, so it doesn't look like its only IAF program.
Even I thought Akash NG was to cover 30-70 km ranges. But this is almost official if the company making the launchers is saying its a 30km srsam system, no? Are there no official DRDO posters or interview regarding the same from DefExpo?

Fatalis

Country flag
LLQRM is already fulfilled by SPYDER so don't think IAF is looking for those anymore. This happened after Trishul failed, so Navy went for Barak-1 import (that aged fast) while Army and Air Force went for Maitri, but when that also failed, Air Force went for SPYDER import and Army went for ..... nothing. Then Army funded QRSAM and Navy funded VL-SRSAM as Barak-1 replacement, but don't think IAF is looking to do the same as SPYDER is fairly modern.

Also, Akash NG army launcher also exists, so it doesn't look like its only IAF program.
Even I thought Akash NG was to cover 30-70 km ranges. But this is almost official if the company making the launchers is saying its a 30km srsam system, no? Are there no official DRDO posters or interview regarding the same from DefExpo?
I could only find that IAF is operating a single squadron of SPYDER so the requirement might still be there. The requirement might be around 7-15 squadrons.

Even IA was looking for SPYDER or similar system to meet their requirement but it was shunned in favour of QRSAM. The requirement is of around 8 regiments.

Yeah, the launcher do exist but I am not sure if it is just for testing or for IA because if it is for the use of IA then it makes the QRSAM system completely pointless.

Help me on this but how and when exactly IA uses it air defence? Is it always on standby like IAF or they activate in war like situation? I thought it will be later one.

omaebakabaka

It is certainly confusing unless that poster is stating minimal side of the range....I hope it matches buk lethality in real world as seen in Ukraine in terms of interception success.

omaebakabaka

No official ever said Akash NG having two versions. So that seems unlikely.
Anything suffixed with NG would be more of a platform I hope leading to upgrades in all series of that platform (total speculation from my side). Liberally optimistic pov may be that SRSAM may be the first one to see the benefits of optimizations?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I could only find that IAF is operating a single squadron of SPYDER so the requirement might still be there. The requirement might be around 7-15 squadrons.

Even IA was looking for SPYDER or similar system to meet their requirement but it was shunned in favour of QRSAM. The requirement is of around 8 regiments.

Yeah, the launcher do exist but I am not sure if it is just for testing or for IA because if it is for the use of IA then it makes the QRSAM system completely pointless.

Help me on this but how and when exactly IA uses it air defence? Is it always on standby like IAF or they activate in war like situation? I thought it will be later one.
IAF has around 18 squadrons of SPYDER-MR in service with 2 batteries per squadron (Air Force term for battery is FU: Firing Unit).

In wartime and peacetime exercises, IA deploys its AD at various levels such as:-
  • SPAAG (like Tunguska and ZSU-32-4) are deployed in a composite battlegroup with armour and mech inf.
  • QRSAM like the Osa will be deployed at the Division level, mostly only with Armoured Divs or RAPIDs I think. And the QRSAM regiments are further broken into batteries that are attached to Brigade level and maintain pace with the Brigade HQ to provide AD to all Brigade assets in the TBA.
  • SRSAM like Akash and SA-6 deployed at the Corps level till now. The batteries of SRSAM might be attached to Div HQs to provide security for Division assets in the TBA.
  • MRSAM is a new thing for the Army so not sure but its coverage compared to the frontage of Army formations suggests Corps level asset.

In peacetime, I can only guess but I'd imagine they are deployed in border areas, particularly to cover Div HQ and above. To defend frontline cantonment garrisons. And maybe to defend some Static Area Formations such as Sub-Area HQ, etc as well. But even in such cases its unlikely that the entire regiments are actively deployed round the clock. Most likely they are maintained and stored most of the time with a one battery being deployed, kept in rotation. And deep in the hinterland I don't think Army AD is deployed at all.
Although in my book a more optimal use would be to re-deploy them in peacetime to defend strategic targets like dams and industrial clusters like Jamnagar, but that is an Air Force mandate and it'd delay wartime mobilization with the AD unit taking time to return to its assigned formation so I don't think its actually done.

The thing is until recently, we haven't really relied on SAM to provide a national AD grid. This is only a recent phenomena with rollout of IACCS, jointmanship via HQ-IDS and newer inductions like MRSAM and S-400 LRSAM. Theater AD was not a thing before, we relied on Air Force jets and long range radars for the job. So how all this finally evolves remains to be seen. Especially with Theater Commands yet to be rolled out.

It is certainly confusing unless that poster is stating minimal side of the range....I hope it matches buk lethality in real world as seen in Ukraine in terms of interception success.
It had better exceed Buk's capabilities even at same range. Its got a better radar, seeker guidance and propulsion after all. The range part is indeed confusing.

omaebakabaka

The thing is until recently, we haven't really relied on SAM to provide a national AD grid. This is only a recent phenomena with rollout of IACCS, jointmanship via HQ-IDS and newer inductions like MRSAM and S-400 LRSAM. Theater AD was not a thing before, we relied on Air Force jets and long range radars for the job. So how all this finally evolves remains to be seen. Especially with Theater Commands yet to be rolled out.

It had better exceed Buk's capabilities even at same range. Its got a better radar, seeker guidance and propulsion after all. The range part is indeed confusing.
I think missile threat to India was minimal even during kargil but with China almost a super power, we need to account for most diverse threats, so AD has seen its relevance rise to almost priority.

Aren't buks hard to jam due to optical guidance, no mention of that in Akash NG? I remember reading akash has some sort of optical switch but not sure..

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I think missile threat to India was minimal even during kargil but with China almost a super power, we need to account for most diverse threats, so AD has seen its relevance rise to almost priority.

Aren't buks hard to jam due to optical guidance, no mention of that in Akash NG? I remember reading akash has some sort of optical switch but not sure..
Indeed. The large missile threat is a more recent phenomena.

Buk is semi-active radar homing I think, although some modern versions have active radar homing as well.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag

Most probably a classic mistake on brochure. Doesn't makes sense to have just 30km range while not being better than QRSAM on many parameters and having almost similiar profile. No way a dual pulse sam missile having such a small range. Most probably range should be touching 70-80km range.
More can be extrapolated if we can find the range figures of its radars, if it seems close to QRSAM radars than 30km range is true or if the radar specs match Barak 8 radar profile than it's likely the 70-80km rangish missile.

Fatalis

Country flag
IAF has around 18 squadrons of SPYDER-MR in service with 2 batteries per squadron (Air Force term for battery is FU: Firing Unit).

In wartime and peacetime exercises, IA deploys its AD at various levels such as:-
  • SPAAG (like Tunguska and ZSU-32-4) are deployed in a composite battlegroup with armour and mech inf.
  • QRSAM like the Osa will be deployed at the Division level, mostly only with Armoured Divs or RAPIDs I think. And the QRSAM regiments are further broken into batteries that are attached to Brigade level and maintain pace with the Brigade HQ to provide AD to all Brigade assets in the TBA.
  • SRSAM like Akash and SA-6 deployed at the Corps level till now. The batteries of SRSAM might be attached to Div HQs to provide security for Division assets in the TBA.
  • MRSAM is a new thing for the Army so not sure but its coverage compared to the frontage of Army formations suggests Corps level asset.

In peacetime, I can only guess but I'd imagine they are deployed in border areas, particularly to cover Div HQ and above. To defend frontline cantonment garrisons. And maybe to defend some Static Area Formations such as Sub-Area HQ, etc as well. But even in such cases its unlikely that the entire regiments are actively deployed round the clock. Most likely they are maintained and stored most of the time with a one battery being deployed, kept in rotation. And deep in the hinterland I don't think Army AD is deployed at all.
Although in my book a more optimal use would be to re-deploy them in peacetime to defend strategic targets like dams and industrial clusters like Jamnagar, but that is an Air Force mandate and it'd delay wartime mobilization with the AD unit taking time to return to its assigned formation so I don't think its actually done.

Thank you so much sir ji for explaining it really nicely.

I also think that IA's SAM are stored during the peacetime and are only made active during the war like scenario or during the excercise.

The only AD part which I can see might be active for IA will be their AA guns which might be near the border posts.

One thing for sure our air defence systems have definitely come a long way.

abingdonboy

Country flag
View attachment 178309

With so many new designs and possible contenders, is something new cooking?

Is IA looking for new Wheeled APC that too in large numbers and moving away from WhAP?
It’s not shocking, 2 years ago the IA put out an RFI for 198 Wheeled Armoured Fighting VehicleRecce & Support {WH AFV (R & Sp), you’d have thought this was tailored for the WhAP but who knows what these guys end up choosing

anyway it’s been 2 years and they’ve not even moved to RFP for this contest so maybe in 5 years we’ll see an update.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Articles