DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Aniruddha Mulay

I will be blaming GoI more than IAF, both BJP, and Congress for lacking a clear vision for IAF. IAF made it clear by 2008 that they need 10-12 squadrons worth of the latest jets to maintain an edge, GoI has never taken the concern on a serious note.

We ought to have ordered 120 MMRCA by 2014, not necessarily Rafale/EF2000 if budget was the issue. Gripen or even F-16 would have secured us comfortably (yeah yeah I know US redtape bla bla), even re-ordering Mirage-2000s would have worked.

The problem is GoI is betting everything on Tejas (Mk1 & Mk2), but it is facing intermittent delays constantly. I see only by 2030 we will be in a comfortable position again. However this risky bet that we won't be fighting any large war in the next 8 years is likely to cost us dearly.
Acquisition of Gripen or F-16 would have killed the Tejas Mk2 program for good, might aswell curtailed the Tejas Mk1 at 40 units with no Tejas Mk1A being ordered.
Also, do you think the Gripen E and the F-16 Block 70/72 is going to come cheap, the Gripen-E costs $85 million unit cost, the F-16 Block 70/72 has a similar unit cost and given the past experience with ToT, it would merely be licensed production which would be what India would be doing.
Mirage 2000 was a better option, but UAE wasn't willing to sell any and we already have seen how expensive it is to upgrade the Mirage to IAF standards.
So, the Govt had no option other than to put all its faith and money into the Tejas Mk1 and Mk2.

Fatalis

Country flag
Acquisition of Gripen or F-16 would have killed the Tejas Mk2 program for good, might aswell curtailed the Tejas Mk1 at 40 units with no Tejas Mk1A being ordered.
Also, do you think the Gripen E and the F-16 Block 70/72 is going to come cheap, the Gripen-E costs $85 million unit cost, the F-16 Block 70/72 has a similar unit cost and given the past experience with ToT, it would merely be licensed production which would be what India would be doing.
Mirage 2000 was a better option, but UAE wasn't willing to sell any and we already have seen how expensive it is to upgrade the Mirage to IAF standards.
So, the Govt had no option other than to put all its faith and money into the Tejas Mk1 and Mk2.
I'm really glad the GOI put their faith in Tejas program.

The bad part is no-one here is held accountable for any mishaps. New government/officers come, old one leave and cycle continues and the progress remains marginal.

I hope we can sustain 3 fighter programs and fulfill our requirements.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
What all has been upgraded with the Mirage-2000 to make the upgrade costs close to $50 mil per aircraft?

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I remember seeing an image where it was mentioned that our upcoming AD-1 will be better than Aster-30. But aren't we already having MRSAM in similar role except the Pif-Paf. MRSAM is even lighter than Aster-30 and has similar range and performance.

What kind of improvements can we expect from AD-1 over the MRSAM?
Aster 30 blk 2 , it's a totally different missile

Fatalis

Country flag
Aster 30 blk 2 , it's a totally different missile
Actually, Aster-30 Block 1NT.

They are not going forward with Block-2 separately. It will part of the Europe's TWISTER program.

I have one question, can a missile do both: area defence against cruise missile/aircrafts and also BMD?

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
View attachment 172800

Ok, so I just noticed this but what kind of metal or composite wings are required to make a non winged 550kg guided bomb with same dimensions to a near 1000kg bomb. Where is 400ish extra kgs go or maybe they just misprinted the specs?
Not just wings. Most of the weight increment of Gaurav comes from the stabilization mechanism built in it to stop the rolling post release.
But the weight is nowhere 450 kg. Its less then that. But 1000 kg bomb is a general nomenclature used for weight category.

Chinmoy

Country flag

Any DRDO gurus kindly clarify. @Chinmoy @porky_kicker
All based on committee observation. This is nothing new and every system gores through same observation. Only difference is how media gets involved into these.

Few days back one member was beating chest on some similar sort of reporting.

Chinmoy

Country flag
one more gem of private industry fan.....
How can these idiots think that ADA cannot develop AMCA, but TATA can & that too without any experience in doing so....
It's really frustrating to see this...these idiots think private industry are some sort of magic wands
He is a member here too.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Lolz ..
This is massive system with 145 vehicles working in tandem to shut down an entire front .
I mean the smaller lighter ones like this
View attachment 173685

Source

I would bet good money that the Armenians have bought this ..
Who told you that these are for MALE UAVs?

Articles