DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

johnj

any actual footage of it intercepting at minimum range? 500m sounds like a very very edge requirement that is practically useless. Kamikaze drones have to be shot down differently as barak 8 is an overkill and not a antidote
Funny thing is, mfstar only see sea skimming target less than 25 km, now add vlo & near hypersonic speed, .5 km min increases chances of interception. Its not about Kamikaze drones, but about 1 billion ship.

omaebakabaka

Funny thing is, mfstar only see sea skimming target less than 25 km, now add vlo & near hypersonic speed, .5 km min increases chances of interception. Its not about Kamikaze drones, but about 1 billion ship.
Then you put a layered almost all the time on a 1 billion dollar ship....its just not efficient to get a launch and orient and position at 500m range for such a big missile

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Are you people kidding me? I am away for a couple of days and I return to 114 notifications?
Maximum range would be 40 km , cause a missile can engage aircraft or cruise missile at less than half the distance of its maximum stated range
So we know the min range is 15km but not the max range ...anyway barak 8 has a min range of 500m so this seems like a downgraded
Yes.
Funny thing is its srsam, means its designed to destroy target in b/w ciws & mr sam, that is in b/w 2.5km to 25km. Barak 8 lrsam range in b/w .5~3 km to 70~90km. barak 1 qr-srsam range 0.5–12 km. Sea skimming missile are very hard to trach, and only targeted in less than 10~20 km. If srsam min range is 15km, then its mostly useless against vlo sea skimming target.
Stop jumping to conclusions guys. This is not a VL-SRSAM poster. Its just a poster from some private firm or startup that is proposing such a system. As we can see, this DefExpo, there are 5 types of 8X8, 5 types of every weapon with 4 types imported scrwedrivergiri and 1 type made in India. This is one those things where new firm is offering a system that is on paper in the same segment that VL-SRSAM is. Its not a VL-SRSAM poster itself.

johnj

Stop jumping to conclusions guys. This is not a VL-SRSAM poster. Its just a poster from some private firm or startup that is proposing such a system. As we can see, this DefExpo, there are 5 types of 8X8, 5 types of every weapon with 4 types imported scrwedrivergiri and 1 type made in India. This is one those things where new firm is offering a system that is on paper in the same segment that VL-SRSAM is. Its not a VL-SRSAM poster.
I'm not concluding anything, but saying the purpose of srsam for ships. RAM, CAAM, aster sr, barak 1 etc. Thanks for the info.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Are you people kidding me? I am away for a couple of days and I return to 114 notifications?

Stop jumping to conclusions guys. This is not a VL-SRSAM poster. Its just a poster from some private firm or startup that is proposing such a system. As we can see, this DefExpo, there are 5 types of 8X8, 5 types of every weapon with 4 types imported scrwedrivergiri and 1 type made in India. This is one those things where new firm is offering a system that is on paper in the same segment that VL-SRSAM is. Its not a VL-SRSAM poster itself.
Ffa_CpXVIAAU5CH (1).jpeg

We know this is an official drdo project related pic, similiar pics were there for xrsam and slcm which are drdo projects.
I think this is a VLSRSAM proposal long ago then dubbed as SRSAM considering that no government approval was accorded then and they were still considering to put either IIR or RF seeker.
A lot could have happened in between and VLSRSAM was born and tested. Initial range of SRSAM is given as greater than 15km so who knows what is VLSRSAM range as I don't think Astra base was even chosen by then. Though ranges of 25-30km sounds most probable or maybe even 40km if they took dual pulse version of Astra as base.

Or I could be all wrong together and this is a new SAM project.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
View attachment 177420
We know this is an official drdo project related pic, similiar pics were there for xrsam and slcm which are drdo projects.
I think this is a VLSRSAM proposal long then for dubbed as SRSAM considering that no government approval was accorded then and they were still considering to put either IIR or RF seeker.
A lot could have happened in between and VLSRSAM was born and tested. Initial range of SRSAM is given as greater than 15km so who knows what is VLSRSAM range as I don't think Astra base was even chosen by then. Though ranges of 25-30km sounds most probable or maybe even 40km if they took dual pulse version of Astra as base.

Or I could be all wrong together and this is a new SAM project.
Sauce for similar XR-SAM and SLCM posters please.

Also, before VL-SRSAM, it was Project Maitri and before that it was Project Trishul. And after Maitri was also stopped, this 2015 news report about Maitri's revival came out and it does mention SRSAM:-

So it seems you are right about it being called SRSAM long before Astra was picked for the job. But then why are we seeing DRDO put up 7 year old posters in DefExpo22? Saw the same thing with Prahaar poster. They posted the range of 150km when we know they are working on the 200 km Pranash now. So confusing this DefExpo is.

omaebakabaka

Also, before VL-SRSAM, it was Project Maitri and before that it was Project Trishul. And after Maitri was also stopped, this 2015 news report about Maitri's revival came out and it does mention SRSAM:-

So it seems you are right about it being called SRSAM long before Astra was picked for the job. But then why are we seeing DRDO put up 7 year old posters in DefExpo22? Saw the same thing with Prahaar poster. They posted the range of 150km when we know they are working on the 200 km Pranash now. So confusing this DefExpo is.
I and few other posters have asked this that defexpo pics would give you an impression that we have a very thriving MIC with minimal imports needed but reality is the opposite although there are bright spots. Only conclusion I can make is that lot of companies from small to DRDO have increase thjeir PR budget but doing a piss poor job based on what you pointed out.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I and few other posters have asked this that defexpo pics would give you an impression that we have a very thriving MIC with minimal imports needed but reality is the opposite although there are bright spots. Only conclusion I can make is that lot of companies from small to DRDO have increase thjeir PR budget but doing a piss poor job based on what you pointed out.
I too was a bit irritated at Modi mentioning "there is no foreign product seller in this DefExpo". Especially with that many foreign-Indian private sector JVs pitching foreign 8X8 IFVs, artillery, etc as rehashed "Make in India" goods. I knew private sector will utilize the positive indigenization list loopholes for screwdrivergiri. People will say that forces don't give confidence to a businessman and that its first steps so its allowed but I am sure most of the private firms will settle at a comfortable 50-60% indigenization level. DAP-2020 does provide some protection against this, so its not all gloom and doom, but its still two steps forward one step backward.

Fatalis

Country flag

20220823_014429.jpg
20220823_014327.jpg
20220823_014137.jpg

Articles