DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Tridev123

Country flag
Items to do it are in place:

1> Engine: Do-228's turboprop unit.
2> Airframe: ADE's new twin boom design or enhanced Rustom-2 design.
3> EO Payload: DRDO/ Tonbo.
4> SDR and secure comms: BEL / Israel
5> SAR/ ISAR payload: DRDO
6> Sonobuoy: No idea.
7> ATOL: ADE Proven
8> Ground control station: ADE Proven
9> Satcom: ADE Proven
Creating an indigenous version of the Sea Guardian drone makes sense.
On the other hand buying the 30-40 million Predator drones do not make much sense.
- too expensive, almost costing as much as an regular fighter
- cannot be used in well defended airspaces, both China and Pakistan have
radars and SAM network. Once detected it is almost a sitting duck.
- only way to safeguard it is to fly it well behind the borders and then fire stand
off long range munitions to destroy targets. But this job can be done by manned
fighters also.
- probably the most viable deployment strategy is to use it against Maoists hiding
in the jungles etc or against terrorists in Kashmir. Since it will be operating in
our territory with no threat from AA guns or MANPADS. But India has long
desisted from using airpower against insurgent groups inside the country.
So paying so much for an drone whose operational role will be very limited does not make sense.

The Sea Guardian is in a different category with force multiplier capabilities. Scanning and searching the oceans for likely threats is a time and resource intensive activity. An unmanned platform with long endurance and good sensor systems can make the job easier. It can loiter for hours and track any suspicious boat and even fire an air to surface munition(I believe the Sea Guardian can carry light weapons) to sink the terrorist boat if needed. It can fly close to the Pakistan coast(out of range of coastal SAM batteries) and using synthetic aperture radars or obtuse angle cameras gather intelligence on their naval deployments.

Hence developing an indigenous version of the Sea Guardian is a good strategy.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think we have to wait fir more orders of rafales till September as @iNorthernerOn9 suggested that in Sept Indian specific enhancements will be completed then additional orders is expected
Here I am trusting @iNorthernerOn9 bcoz govt this time is serious of our dwindling squadron strength

Shuturmurg

Country flag
I think we have to wait fir more orders of rafales till September as @iNorthernerOn9 suggested that in Sept Indian specific enhancements will be completed then additional orders is expected
Here I am trusting @iNorthernerOn9 bcoz govt this time is serious of our dwindling squadron strength
With Rafale's long backlog, will we even start getting new jets before 2028 ?

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
With Rafale's long backlog, will we even start getting new jets before 2028 ?
Even I am thinking the same whether we will get rafales soon as many orders are with them but no other option wait for it till 2028-29
Bcoz manufacturing it in India will be very costly and I don't think iaf is in mood of that

Chinmoy

Country flag
Army actually asked for it under make 2.
If Army would have categorically asked for StarStreak, then they would have procured it by now under emergency procurement route. Army can't specifically ask for a system directly. They could push for the product under evaluation process, but can't ask for it. Now whether it would be under Make1 category or Make 2 is of MoD concern. So whoever has tried to sell this theory of IA asking for it under Make-2 is pure bull$hit. Yes, MoD could ask for its development under Make-2 category which infact is happening now.

Today’s agreement will also provide the opportunity for BDL to offer a ‘Make in India’ STARStreak solution to the Indian Government, with a capability that will match the immediate air defence needs of the Indian Army and Air force, and with 60% of the system manufactured in India.
It also represents an opportunity for further UK and Indian Industrial co-operation and will cement the ambition for closer collaboration and co-development between our two nations, supporting the ambitions of our governments’ recently signed Defence Technology and Industrial Capability Cooperation MoU.
https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/indi...-bringing-starstreak-air-defence-system-india

Chinmoy

Country flag
A 6000 Tonne destroyers, 20 year old has 16 missiles , anti ship ones.
Meanwhile our newest ones have 16 launchers, or indulge my ignorant self for a second and tell me that brahmos is better than that chiness missile.
Its not about whether Brahmos is better then Chinese crap or not. Its all about how you intend to use your platform in real world scenario.

Unlike Chinese, our primary concern and role is to safeguard our sea route i.e, for us, the main contender is Chinese or Paki surface combatants. So what matters for us is how much we have tested Brahmos against ship based EW and Anti missile capability.
So how much Brahmos per ship is enough for us is based on our evaluation of all the tests we have carried on with it.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Could someone explain it
They will deliver 5 tapas between April to September
What does drawing for production means
When they will start 76 nos delivery
It bit confusing
@Chinmoy @Lonewolf if u can simplify then pls
First of all, 76 is just a projection which developers believe users do want. It has not came from user end.

Now the 5 prototypes ADE would deliver would be the final working prototypes for user trials. These prototypes would undergo user trials and based on those trails and usage, final numbers to be decided. Also any change which user want to incorporate in it would be done now.

Chinmoy

Country flag
WE DONT HAVE WIND TUNNELS :scared2::scared2:

AND WE ARE DEVELOPING 3 JETs simultaneously :frusty:
We do have those. Problem was the capability which ADA wanted from the existing ones.

Test was carried out at CSIR-NAL transonic cascade tunnel which had a blow down of 1500 against the 11,000 that ADA wanted. Now the facility has been upgraded to achieve 5000 blowdown if I am not wrong.
Even a new Trisonic wind tunnel is upcoming in VSSC complex this year.

Srinie

Country flag
Can any one tell if any major domestic product has improved or has even gone into production after receiving inputs from the armed forces. Arjun mk1B is a result of army inputs veterans say it's not upto the mark . So should the officers who gave inputs should be investigated or not

Chinmoy

Country flag
Does anyone know why Tapas is using a Piston engine when it can use a Turboprop engine (Shakti engine used in Dhruv) ? It will solve its power issues.
Piston engine are much more efficient for their typical power output and are less expensive to operate. So a UAV operating at 20k feet is much more affordable and efficient with a Piston engine. But when it comes to HALE UAV, you do want a jet/ turboprop engine as it is much more efficient in high altitude.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Ik it doesn't
But the mach 0.2 to 4.0 one Is smaller isn't it
Typical cruise speed of a fighter is 0.8 Mach and with after burner it is Mach 2. Even if you supercruise, it would be at 1.2 Mach.

So when you could test anywhere in between 0.2 to 4 Mach, you are covering every facet of the travel. AMCA is reportedly to supercruise at Mach 1.6. So how is the Mach 0.2 to 4.0 is small in any regard?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles