DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Chinmoy

Country flag
Why can't the indigenised, tested and certified component be phased in at a later stage as and when the in-use and spares inventory deplete? The additional cost in that case is the upfront import costs, but kicking down the project timeline by 5-7 years is a worse thing, imo. If the indigenous product is ready by 2029 who says to stop the use of imported ones altogether. They can be replaced as and when required. Only caveat can be a higher inventory costs during the transition phase with having to keep both the type of spares at the maintenance hubs, but that's nothing when compared to the project itself dying a slow death.
Here the development time frame mentioned is by 2027, after that it would undergo testing on LSPs and then certification. After that it would go into production and the production line would have to undergo further certification.

Now for ALH what you said holds true as it is already been ordered en-masse and active service. Being a matured platform, these components would find its way to ALH before LUH. But LUH has to enter service. As I said, even if the order is placed today, it would be for LSP. Mass orders would be placed after performance evaluation of these LSPs.

During all these phase, if further order of LUH is placed, the whole subcomponents and spares order would also be placed. Now you don't go on and sign contract agreement on yearly basis. OEM wants minimum order value. Suppose I am the particle separator supplier. I would sign contract for X number of quantity which I have to deliver in Y number of years. Now that X number should be a minimum number for me to justify a production line. Any less then the minimum quantity would not see my participation. Now customer would have to make a balance regarding time and number of platform they want to upgrade. Example being the Uttam RADAR in LCA Mk1A.

Now Uttam would come from SP21 only, which means for rest 20 we would have to keep on ordering spares till 2030. This too is only IF Uttam clears all its flight test by 2026 ( I am taking the annual production rate of 8 jets here). If not we would have to sign off another deal which again would mean atleast a decade of not using Uttam in LCA. So what is the easiest way to tackle it is to keep the production rate low even if you have the capability to deliver 16 jets here. Same is with LUH. Since its order has not yet been placed unlike Tejas Mk1A, so expect its mass order only after the subcomponents clear all its trials.

Covfefe

Country flag
During all these phase, if further order of LUH is placed, the whole subcomponents and spares order would also be placed. Now you don't go on and sign contract agreement on yearly basis. OEM wants minimum order value. Suppose I am the particle separator supplier. I would sign contract for X number of quantity which I have to deliver in Y number of years. Now that X number should be a minimum number for me to justify a production line. Any less then the minimum quantity would not see my participation. Now customer would have to make a balance regarding time and number of platform they want to upgrade.
Hmm, agreed. But what is the downside in terms of not ordering LUH now- in terms of lost capacity at HAL(fixed assets not utilized), imports and further dependence (Ka226 or some other utility platform,) , risk of life to pilots flying those end of life Cheetah-Chetak airframes?

Indian requirement is so huge that even if we order a fraction of LUH with imported spares(say 75 out of 400 odd utility hepters) it would make sense for the supplier, how many countries order 75-100 helis worth spares at one go? And if we don't do it, we either live without those choppers (which is bad in current threat environment) or we import the whole platform(rather than spares for local platform)- doesn't make sense in either cases

Chinmoy

Country flag
thanks for info. Both spyder mr and sr uses same missile, former with boosters.
IAF using spyder sr with python 5 iir missile and i derby[derby] missile. Its a quick reaction sr sam.
astra vl is similar to i derby vl, and astra ir similar to python 5.
What about EO targeting system ?
You mean E/O targeting system in VL-SRSAM system?

SavageKing456

Country flag

Chinmoy

Country flag
Hmm, agreed. But what is the downside in terms of not ordering LUH now- in terms of lost capacity at HAL(fixed assets not utilized), imports and further dependence (Ka226 or some other utility platform,) , risk of life to pilots flying those end of life Cheetah-Chetak airframes?

Indian requirement is so huge that even if we order a fraction of LUH with imported spares(say 75 out of 400 odd utility hepters) it would make sense for the supplier, how many countries order 75-100 helis worth spares at one go? And if we don't do it, we either live without those choppers (which is bad in current threat environment) or we import the whole platform(rather than spares for local platform)- doesn't make sense in either cases
At the very first, lets not compare Ka with LUH as of now. Ka is more versatile then LUH on any given day. But it can't replace LUH and vice versa. Second, the Cheetah and Chetak we are operating are of old design, but not yet reached its service life like Bisons. The airframe are new and have flying hours still left in them.

If you compare all three sectors and may be civil sector too, the numbers of LSPs itself would run into 50-70 odd numbers. Now as I already said, order for LSPs would definitely be placed. Any project which pass off TD stage don't die.

SGOperative

Country flag
At the very first, lets not compare Ka with LUH as of now. Ka is more versatile then LUH on any given day. But it can't replace LUH and vice versa. Second, the Cheetah and Chetak we are operating are of old design, but not yet reached its service life like Bisons. The airframe are new and have flying hours still left in them.

If you compare all three sectors and may be civil sector too, the numbers of LSPs itself would run into 50-70 odd numbers. Now as I already said, order for LSPs would definitely be placed. Any project which pass off TD stage don't die.
we were getting them do almost the same job and the deal is as good as dead now anyway

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
Here the development time frame mentioned is by 2027, after that it would undergo testing on LSPs and then certification. After that it would go into production and the production line would have to undergo further certification.

Now for ALH what you said holds true as it is already been ordered en-masse and active service. Being a matured platform, these components would find its way to ALH before LUH. But LUH has to enter service. As I said, even if the order is placed today, it would be for LSP. Mass orders would be placed after performance evaluation of these LSPs.

During all these phase, if further order of LUH is placed, the whole subcomponents and spares order would also be placed. Now you don't go on and sign contract agreement on yearly basis. OEM wants minimum order value. Suppose I am the particle separator supplier. I would sign contract for X number of quantity which I have to deliver in Y number of years. Now that X number should be a minimum number for me to justify a production line. Any less then the minimum quantity would not see my participation. Now customer would have to make a balance regarding time and number of platform they want to upgrade. Example being the Uttam RADAR in LCA Mk1A.

Now Uttam would come from SP21 only, which means for rest 20 we would have to keep on ordering spares till 2030. This too is only IF Uttam clears all its flight test by 2026 ( I am taking the annual production rate of 8 jets here). If not we would have to sign off another deal which again would mean atleast a decade of not using Uttam in LCA. So what is the easiest way to tackle it is to keep the production rate low even if you have the capability to deliver 16 jets here. Same is with LUH. Since its order has not yet been placed unlike Tejas Mk1A, so expect its mass order only after the subcomponents clear all its trials.
This is a typical project management problem, there will be components which are not ready by the time dead line arrives. in LUH's case, ultimately user exploitation of the platform is what the goal should be. waiting for indigenous components will delay the user exploitation and subsequent feedback cycle.

preferably atleast 75-100 order should be given to start and sustain the subcomponent manufacturing. there is also the question of fulfilling the annual quota of indigenous capex spending.