DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Prashant12

Country flag
Indigenous Development of Trawl System by DRDO

R&DE (Engrs), a premier system engineering laboratory under Armament & Combat Engineering (ACE) cluster of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has recently undertaken the design and development of Trawl System for the minefield area in the battle zone to meet the operational requirements of Indian Army.

The indigenous developed Trawl System is employed for breaching of land mines and creating a vehicle safe lane, through a minefield for the advancing columns of mechanized forces in combat zone. The equipment consists of Trawl roller, track width mine plough and electro- magnetic device (EMD), which caters to the need of all types of mines usually encountered by the battle tank in such a scenario. The Trawl System developed by DRDO is capable of breaching a variety of land mines including passive and active influence mines.

The Trawl system recently crossed a major milestone with the successful completion of blast trials in collaboration with HEMRL Pune, which demonstrated the survivability of the equipment, when subjected to successive series of blast directly underneath it. The fieldable prototype of the Trawl System is in final stage of realization and would be shortly ready for conduct of User Evaluation Trials by the Army.

The indigenous development of Trawls by DRDO is an important step towards achieving self-reliance in area of critical military equipment under Make in India initiative and would result in saving of precious foreign exchange for the country.

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx

SanjeevM

Country flag
Indigenous Development of Trawl System by DRDO

R&DE (Engrs), a premier system engineering laboratory under Armament & Combat Engineering (ACE) cluster of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has recently undertaken the design and development of Trawl System for the minefield area in the battle zone to meet the operational requirements of Indian Army.

The indigenous developed Trawl System is employed for breaching of land mines and creating a vehicle safe lane, through a minefield for the advancing columns of mechanized forces in combat zone. The equipment consists of Trawl roller, track width mine plough and electro- magnetic device (EMD), which caters to the need of all types of mines usually encountered by the battle tank in such a scenario. The Trawl System developed by DRDO is capable of breaching a variety of land mines including passive and active influence mines.

The Trawl system recently crossed a major milestone with the successful completion of blast trials in collaboration with HEMRL Pune, which demonstrated the survivability of the equipment, when subjected to successive series of blast directly underneath it. The fieldable prototype of the Trawl System is in final stage of realization and would be shortly ready for conduct of User Evaluation Trials by the Army.

The indigenous development of Trawls by DRDO is an important step towards achieving self-reliance in area of critical military equipment under Make in India initiative and would result in saving of precious foreign exchange for the country.

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx

If they are making these travels, can this free Arjun of anti mine operations and reduce its weight by removing extra plough?

NeXoft007

Country flag
Great News!
DRDO achieved breakthrough in AIP Fuel Cell technology. DRDO created a prototype of High Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (HT-PEM) Fuel Cell which is much better than initially developed indigenous Low Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (LT-PEM) for Scorpene Submarines which operates under 80°C.
A test station would be created soon for testing the prototype.
Although LT-PEM is more complex, its easier to develop, the HT-PEM is comparatively simpler yet difficult to develop.
A REFERENCE pic is provided below to know advantages of HT-PEM over LT-PEM.
IMG_20170919_221148.jpg

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Great News!
DRDO achieved breakthrough in AIP Fuel Cell technology. DRDO created a prototype of High Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (HT-PEM) Fuel Cell which is much better than initially developed indigenous Low Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (LT-PEM) for Scorpene Submarines which operates under 80°C.
A test station would be created soon for testing the prototype.
Although LT-PEM is more complex, its easier to develop, the HT-PEM is comparatively simpler yet difficult to develop.
A REFERENCE pic is provided below to know advantages of HT-PEM over LT-PEM.
View attachment 20256
Lesser peripheral machinery => Lesser noise source => Quieter submarines :india:
How many Kalvari-class hulls have already been assembled ? The lesser the merrier.

NeXoft007

Country flag
I need help identifying which 140mm and 230mm guns do we have? Or could be it new? Its going to be tested at PXE in a matter of weeks if I am right.
My suspicion is.
140mm rifled cannon for Arjun?
230mm heavy howitzer?
Although I could be wrong.
IMG_20170921_193416.jpg

porky_kicker

Country flag
I need help identifying which 140mm and 230mm guns do we have? Or could be it new? Its going to be tested at PXE in a matter of weeks if I am right.
My suspicion is.
230mm heavy howitzer?
View attachment 20303
naval gun maybe

sthf

Country flag
Its a damn mystery... Only time will reveal what exactly it is
Rifled gun for Arjun doesn't make sense because IA after decades of blindly and moronically aping the Brishit Army decided that smoothbore is the future.

Army FARP has made one thing clear that all future guns will be of 155mm. Few odd 105mm may find their way to some specialized units but that would be it.

There has to be a better explanation.

sorcerer

Country flag
ITI stock spikes 20%, hits circuit after company emerges as lowest bidder for Rs 7,000 crore defence contract

Shares of the state-run telecom equipment manufacturer ITI Ltd hit upper circuit on Thursday after the company was declared as L1 (lowest bidder) by Ministry of Defence in a contract worth Rs 7,000 crore. ITI Ltd has been declared as L1 in “ASCON Phase IV Project” by Ministry of Defence for the contract value of Rs 7000 crores (approximately), company said in an exchange filing. Following the announcement, the stock of ITI rose as much as 20% to Rs 122.2 on BSE today.

http://www.financialexpress.com/mar...er-for-rs-7000-crore-defence-contract/864603/

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
My suspicion is.
230mm heavy howitzer?
View attachment 20303
140 mm could be BM-21 Grad launcher and 230mm could be Pinaka launcher?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
Grad is 122mm MBRL, not 140mm. And it says Gun, not rockets
i am just guessing here...
Grad rocket is 122 mm, Tube could be having 18mm delta for the fins.
Similarly pinaka is 214 mm, Tube could be 16mm delta for the fins.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
My suspicion is.
230mm heavy howitzer?
View attachment 20303
Rifled gun for Arjun doesn't make sense because IA after decades of blindly and moronically aping the Brishit Army decided that smoothbore is the future.

Army FARP has made one thing clear that all future guns will be of 155mm. Few odd 105mm may find their way to some specialized units but that would be it.

There has to be a better explanation.
Judging by how 140mm and 230mm is mentioned along with 4.5 inch howitzer, which is a WW1 era QF short barrel howitzer, 140mm may be referring to BL 5.5 inch medium gun, and 230mm for some 9 inch siege artillery. Could be restoration work, not for live fire.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
During 1980s DRDO offered a 230mm gun but was turned down by Army ..

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
During 1980s DRDO offered a 230mm gun but was turned down by Army ..
AFAIK the largest caliber artillery still in active use around the world is the 203mm caliber US M110, and Russian 2S7 Pion. Forget about towed pieces, even these self propelled mounts are too big and cumbersome, and don't provide any substantial advantage over 155mm. Most likely 155mm guns are the most balanced when you want to throw explosives in a cheap way upto a decent distance away. Longer range stuff can be handled with MLRS upto 300mm caliber, or tactical missiles like ATACMS/Prahaar/Tochka

Articles