DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I'm doubtful for french offer as well this might go FGFA way
Yeah same me too.
I too have the same feelings that it might end up as a failure like the FGFA project.

I am not sure how reliable the French will be in this matter of jet engine Technology.
I have my hopes High for rolls Royce in my opinion Because I heard that Rolls Royce will also be giving us the Intellectual Property (IP) rights for the engines if there is a partnership.

Let's wait for further confirmation from the French in this matter.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Damn guys , I slept 4 hours and thread ran wild , do u guys even wait .

Let the proposal mature , have some faith , open some bottle , why everytime something good happens , everyone starts complaining about the future

SavageKing456

Country flag
Yeah same me too.
I too have the same feelings that it might end up as a failure like the FGFA project.

I am not sure how reliable the French will be in this matter of jet engine Technology.
I have my hopes High for rolls Royce in my opinion Because I heard that Rolls Royce will also be giving us the Intellectual Property (IP) rights for the engines if there is a partnership.

Let's wait for further confirmation from the French in this matter.
RR is pretty clear with the offer that they're going with ip rights to india
France safran is being strangely dodgy demanding hefty amount and not being clear how the deal would be(atleast from info what is in public)
But Britain is not reliable
Jet engine deal includes multiple things
Including geopolitics,Foreign policy etc.
Tbh very tough choice for us and we have to make it clear one.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
France safran is being strangely dodgy demanding hefty amount and not being clear how the deal would be(atleast from info what is in public)
Tbh very tough choice for us and we have to make it clear one.
After Australia debacle , I think we might get the sweet deal

Super Flanker

Country flag
Yeah exactly. I agree with you. Rolls Royce is a British company and United States aka US Controls most of the Policies of Britain.
So it's possible that if we go ahead and partnership with the Brits than there is a chance that Americans might intervene in here.
So let's wait for further information about this jet engine from France.
If France agrees with the IP rights than this will be a very good deal for us.
And Yes you are right, it will be a very tough choice with regards to geopolitics.

Vamsi

Country flag
Learning from Shakti engines have allowed us to develop our own helicopter engine which is nearing completion fast. Htse1200.
Which is 100% indian IP.

If we could do similar for jet engines it will be worth it.

In the meantime it will free us from usa and it's sactions while allowing full indian manufacturing and maintenance which will save billions of dollars over the course of those programs.

Since france itself doesn't have 110kn engine it will have to be a new design or heavily reworked core. In which we will be research partners. And if france is using better SCB and TBC then us then that tech will be transferred to india. But our own SCB tech has reached levels required for this engine while in TBC we may be slightly behind the best. So we gotta learn.

Btw GE itself is offering 60% tot for f414. So any partnership with france will require far more intensive tech transfer. I would guess greater than 80%.

Anyway let's first wait for more details . Rest is all speculations.
No , HTSE-1200 is not 100% indigenous, we are still importing American SCB material for that.

Let me tell u something. We co-developed Vikas Engine along with French, but we are still paying royalties for it. As per your logic we should be able to develop our own fully Indigenous high thrust lower stage engine by now. But we are still reverse engineering Ukrainian RD-810 for SCE-200.

We developed Arihant class subs & it's reactor using russian assistance, now as you said we should be able develop 190 MW reactor on our own ,but we still need russian assistance in its development.

We had the full ToT of Scorpene subs,now we should be able to develop our own Fully Indigenous sub, but we are still waiting for P-75I.

Today we are able to design & develop Tejas-Mk2, AMCA & TEDBF only because we designed ,manufactured & tested Tejas Mk-1/1A entirely on our own and used external help only when & where it is necessary ,not because of some JV with Dassault or LM.

In the same way we should develop Jet engines entirely on our own using the experience we gained from Kaveri program and we should use external help only in the areas where it is required.

IndianHawk

Country flag
No , HTSE-1200 is not 100% indigenous, we are still importing American SCB material for that.

Let me tell u something. We co-developed Vikas Engine along with French, but we are still paying royalties for it. As per your logic we should be able to develop our own fully Indigenous high thrust lower stage engine by now. But we are still reverse engineering Ukrainian RD-810 for SCE-200.

We developed Arihant class subs & it's reactor using russian assistance, now as you said we should be able develop 190 MW reactor on our own ,but we still need russian assistance in its development.

We had the full ToT of Scorpene subs,now we should be able to develop our own Fully Indigenous sub, but we are still waiting for P-75I.

Today we are able to design & develop Tejas-Mk2, AMCA & TEDBF only because we designed ,manufactured & tested Tejas Mk-1/1A entirely on our own and used external help only when & where it is necessary ,not because of some JV with Dassault or LM.

In the same way we should develop Jet engines entirely on our own using the experience we gained from Kaveri program and we should use external help only in the areas where it is required.
If we have SCB Better than al31 than sooner or later SCB of htse will be indeginised. No doubt about it.

We could go for full indeginous engine but that may take 15-20 years in the meantime we are held hostage by USA !!

A royalty deal or joint IP deal is much much better than depending on Americans who keep hanging one or another sword upon us. Today it's CAStAA Tommorow something else.

Deal with france doesn't negate indeginous efforts it pushes us that much forward. We can keep moving up from there. We will still need new engines forever.

Srinie

Country flag
From my personal opinion, Its so sad to see that when we are able to design complex Weopons like :
1)Fighter Aircrafts
2)bombs
3)missiles
4)Nuclear Powered Submarines
And many more etc ,we are unable to design a simple gun like a carbine or infantry Rifle.
It's sad to see that we have to Import Designs from Russia etc to build simple Rifles in India.
Let Indian army put out a gsqr for its rifle requirement and for a change stand by it . MCIWS fiasco still hurts years and lots of money wasted just for the army to change its preference

Super Flanker

Country flag
Let Indian army put out a gsqr for its rifle requirement and for a change stand by it . MCIWS fiasco still hurts years and lots of money wasted just for the army to change its preference
Yeah ,you are right but Indian army seems to be not in the mood for an Indigenous Rifle Design, it seems they are happy with AK-203 and etc(as of now. Hopefullyin the near future we won't have to Import any more rifles From foreign, considering the Amount of TOT we got from AK-203.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Kaveri core cannot be used in the new AMCA engine it was never designed liked that. It will have to be new core with better materials and engineering than kabini core
So sir whatever earned from Kaveri is useless except ghatak part

Vamsi

Country flag
If we have SCB Better than al31 than sooner or later SCB of htse will be indeginised. No doubt about it.

We could go for full indeginous engine but that may take 15-20 years in the meantime we are held hostage by USA !!

A royalty deal or joint IP deal is much much better than depending on Americans who keep hanging one or another sword upon us. Today it's CAStAA Tommorow something else.

Deal with france doesn't negate indeginous efforts it pushes us that much forward. We can keep moving up from there. We will still need new engines forever.
I will give you a very simple reason why the French WON'T transfer KNOW-WHY of the engine, even though they promised full transfer of Know-how & Know-why.

If they give us full Know-how & Know-why and if GTRE is successful in fully absorbing it, then as u said we may develop our own fully Indigenous engine without any external help, which means we will attain strategic autonomy & hence there is no need to import an engine or pay royalties to french & thus french would loose their LARGEST MARKET FOREVER & any sane business man in this would never ever loose his largest market on his own. Hence there won't be any transfer of Know-why , which means this JV will be just another screwdrivergiri in the name of indigenous engine and we will be eternally dependent on french for engines and we will continue to pay them royalties. This is the reason why they show so much interested in this JV. Their interest is not to make India independent but to make us completely dependent on them forever.

Refute me, if I am wrong.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles