DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

porky_kicker

Country flag
Someone had asked a question earlier & same asked now above regarding the exposed missile section of smart & A-1P ( I am unable to view the previous alerts )

IMO i think it is temporary solution maybe due to it being in test phase , for easier access to top section & either way for test purposes makes no difference

Production version will have full canister

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
DRDO conducts flight demonstration of Controlled Aerial Delivery System | Video

The CADS-500 system was para-dropped from an AN32 aircraft and then steered to the predesignated landing point in autonomous mode.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation’s R&D lab conducted a flight demonstration of Controlled Aerial Delivery System of 500 kg capacity (CADS-500) on Saturday, the Ministry of Defence said.

The system, developed by Aerial Delivery Research and Development Establishment (ADRDE) in Agra, was para-dropped from an AN32 aircraft and then steered to the predesignated landing point in autonomous mode. Eleven paratroopers of the Indian Army and Indian Air Force chased the CADS-500 in the air and landed simultaneously at the drop zone in Malpura from an altitude of 5,000 metres.

Controlled Aerial Delivery System of 500 kg (CADS-500) lands precisely during demonstration trials by #ADRDE, DRDO. #AmritMahotsav #AtmaNirbharBharat https://t.co/Se51Kcp4ug pic.twitter.com/Vr8xBDkRQ5
— DRDO (@DRDO_India) December 19, 2021

The CADS-500 is used for precise delivery of payload up to 500 kgs at a predetermined location by making use of manoeuvrable capabilities of the Ram Air Parachute (RAP).

It uses Global Positioning System for the coordinates, altitude and heading sensors for the heading information during its flight.

The CADS, with its onboard electronics unit, autonomously steers its flight path using waypoint navigation towards target location by operating controls.

The flight demonstration was part of a series of activities to celebrate ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’, commemorating 75 years of India’s independence.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
DRDO conducts flight demonstration of CADS-500
1639920341106.png

New Delhi: The Aerial Delivery Research and Development Establishment (ADRDE), Agra conducted a flight demonstration of Controlled Aerial Delivery System of 500 kilogram capacity (CADS-500) on Saturday, informed the Ministry of Defence on Sunday.

As per the Ministry, ADRDE, Agra is an R&D laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the flight demonstration is part of a series of activities organised towards celebrating ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’, commemorating 75 years of Independence.

The CADS-500 is used for precise delivery of payloads up to 500 kilograms at a predetermined location by making use of manoeuvrable capabilities of the Ram Air Parachute (RAP).

It uses Global Positioning System for the coordinates, altitude and heading sensors for the heading information during its flight.

The CADS, with its onboard electronics unit, autonomously steers its flight path using waypoint navigation towards the target location by operating controls.

System performance was demonstrated at drop zone, Malpura from an altitude of 5,000 metres. The system was para-dropped from AN32 aircraft and then steered to the predesignated landing point in autonomous mode.

Eleven paratroopers of the Indian Army and Indian Air Force chased the CADS-500 in the air and landed simultaneously.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Hey guys! Here's a tweet from DRDO(Defence Research and Development Organisation)
A multi-static passive coherent locating radar receiver station with multiple advanced technologies was inaugurated by Secretary DDR&D Dr G Satheesh Reddy under the aegis of #LRDE Bengaluru.
#AmritMahotasav #IconicWeek

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Hey guys! Here's a tweet from DRDO(Defence Research and Development Organisation)
A multi-static passive coherent locating radar receiver station with multiple advanced technologies was inaugurated by Secretary DDR&D Dr G Satheesh Reddy under the aegis of #LRDE Bengaluru.
#AmritMahotasav #IconicWeek
Its Passive radar.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I know it's a Passive radar(PESA)bro. Mujhe Patha hai ki yeh ak Passive radar(PESA)hai.
But from my personal side I want to hear more news AESA radars like UTTAM AESA RADAR from my personal opinion. That's what I would like to hear.
Do u know difference between pesa and passive radar ??? For real ???

Pesa is a subtype of active radar , passive radar are just ears , totally different things .

And the guy u quoted has a lot more info than most folks , atleast know ur surrounding and try to learn then try to be the blue eyed , shining hair boy among commoners .

Please write less and read more

Super Flanker

Country flag
Do u know difference between pesa and passive radar ??? For real ???

Pesa is a subtype of active radar , passive radar are just ears , totally different things .

And the guy u quoted has a lot more info than most folks , atleast know ur surrounding and try to learn then try to be the blue eyed , shining hair boy among commoners .

Please write less and read more
Sorry mate. Won't happen next time.
Sorry from my side 🙂

Super Flanker

Country flag
First of all . U must be young , right ?

So for starters I recommend reading about how pulse Doppler radar works , and when u read that , then read about superimposed wave and all stuff , u will clear ur doubt
Yes dude. You are right. But regardless of that, I want to hear more news with regards to Radars like AESA etc.
Like Uttam (but this is just my personal preference here)

Gessler

Country flag
I know it's a Passive radar(PESA)bro. Mujhe Patha hai ki yeh ak Passive radar(PESA)hai.
But from my personal side I want to hear more news AESA radars like UTTAM AESA RADAR from my personal opinion. That's what I would like to hear.
Adding to what @Lonewolf said above, PESA is not really passive - its a misleading title that leads to confusions. PESA is called Passive ESA simply because the Transmitter & Receiver does not process data directly but through several phased-shifted antenna elements. But its still Active in the general sense because it Transmits signals.

Only difference between PESA & AESA is that in AESA, there are multiple sets of transmit/receivers, each working in a slightly different frequency, but doing the transmission & receiving directly. In PESA there's only one set, and doing the job indirectly.

Passive radar as shown above, does not transmit anything - it simply receives. But still you have to transmit some radar wave toward the target so that the receiver can detect the reflection, but this radar can be anything, it can be a separate system not connected to this passive radar, the passive radar can still pick up the reflection.

Passive radars like this are considered one of the ways of conducting area-denial against stealth aircraft, because stealth planes rely on deflecting radar waves away from the direction they come from - but by transmitting radar from one direction & placing a passive receiver in a different direction, you can hope to pick up the deflected signal.

If there's only 1 receiver but its located separate from the transmitter, its called bistatic radar. If there are multiple receivers its called Multi-static radar. With multiple receivers located at varying locations, you can hope to pick up a signal regardless of which direction it gets deflected by enemy stealth aircraft.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Adding to what @Lonewolf said above, PESA is not really passive - its a misleading title that leads to confusions. PESA is called Passive ESA simply because the Transmitter & Receiver does not process data directly but through several phased-shifted antenna elements. But its still Active in the general sense because it Transmits signals.

Only difference between PESA & AESA is that in AESA, there are multiple sets of transmit/receivers, each working in a slightly different frequency, but doing the transmission & receiving directly. In PESA there's only one set, and doing the job indirectly.

Passive radar as shown above, does not transmit anything - it simply receives. But still you have to transmit some radar wave toward the target so that the receiver can detect the reflection, but this radar can be anything, it can be a separate system not connected to this passive radar, the passive radar can still pick up the reflection.

Passive radars like this are considered one of the ways of conducting area-denial against stealth aircraft, because stealth planes rely on deflecting radar waves away from the direction they come from - but by transmitting radar from one direction & placing a passive receiver in a different direction, you can hope to pick up the deflected signal.

If there's only 1 receiver but its located separate from the transmitter, its called bistatic radar. If there are multiple receivers its called Multi-static radar. With multiple receivers located at varying locations, you can hope to pick up a signal regardless of which direction it gets deflected by enemy stealth aircraft.
Oh gosh. Thank you very much @Gessler
Your post will be very useful for me to understand what is what with regards to PESA and Passive.
At times it's Confusing. Will read about these type of Things further and than understand.
😀

Brood Father

Country flag
Oh gosh. Thank you very much @Gessler
Your post will be very useful for me to understand what is what with regards to PESA and Passive.
At times it's Confusing. Will read about these type of Things further and than understand.
😀
You seem quite young and its good that you have interest in aviation technologies. Looks like you have decided to pursue this field as your career choice ..Good luck mate ..

Super Flanker

Country flag
You seem quite young and its good that you have interest in aviation technologies. Looks like you have decided to pursue this field as your career choice ..Good luck mate ..
I always had an interest in this field from day one Actually, I have so many things in my mind with regards to this Interest.
Thanks for best wishes though! Have a nice day ahead.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Its Passive radar.
The key feature is the addition of a second receiver. This provides this radar with two important advantages.

Firstly, a single radar unit can use triangulation to pinpoint the exact location of an enemy aircraft. In contrast, a single receiver can only identify the direction but not the precise location of an enemy aircraft.

Secondly, it has two receivers that permit interferometry. Though this does not increase the range, the resolution/sensitivity is equivalent to a receiver that is almost the length of the mast.

SARTHAK

Country flag
either you are sarcastic or you know little about radars,AFAIK passive radars function like rwr of the aircraft which soak waves from the radars of planes and use passive geolocating technique to ascertain the position of the aircraft ,my take might be wrong but i think it works like this https://basicsaboutaerodynamicsandavionics.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/rwresm-and-passive-geolocation/

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles