DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

kr9

Country flag

I was thinking about a new concept & would like the members' views on this.

I understand some firearm science but I have never fired a weapon.
SPECIFICATIONS
Barrel Length:
18" Front-line soldiers / 11" personal defence weapon (rear / support units)
Ammunition(carried by the same soldier):
7.62x51 for accuracy / power and 7.62x39 for fire control.
Firing Range:
500m point targets / 700m area targets. (7.62x51 on 18" barrel)
400m point targets. (7.62x39 on the same 18" barrel)
Fire Selection (based on user judgement):
Semi-Automatic (for 7.62x51)
Full Automatic (7.62x39 close quarters & 7.62x51 as a contingency LMG)

Instead of barrel / caliber change, the soldier just changes the magazine. The weapon's suitability as a CQB or Battle Rifle is interchangeable within 5 seconds. ARDE just has to come up with a simple (as I understand) twin-position breech lock for the bolt to accommodate both rounds. We already have our FN FAL(1A) & AK rounds. If need be, develop a 5.56 version as well.
Is this concept possible?
What would be the reliability / fire control ability / production simplicity of such a rifle?

Last edited:

Twinblade

Country flag
View attachment 6796 Just A Comparison of the two models..... Any Major Difference?
45 degree gas port changed to 90 degree gas port. The 45 degree gas port is known to cause more fouling due to greater bullet jacket shear in 5.56x45 mm. A 90 degree port hole (circular) can be placed between riflings, whereas a 45 degree port hole (oval) will overlap with riflings creating more fouling. This is not an issue in larger calibers. Israelis while designing the galil reduced the port angle from 45 degrees to less than 30 degrees. Angled gas ports are also more difficult to manufacture. Galil and Beryl wz-96 are some of the few 5.56-45 rifles with angled gas ports.

Twinblade

Country flag
I was thinking about a new concept & would like the members' views on this.
I understand some firearm science but I have never fired a weapon.
SPECIFICATIONS
Barrel Length:
18" Front-line soldiers / 11" personal defence weapon (rear / support units)
Ammunition(carried by the same soldier):
7.62x51 for accuracy / power and 7.62x39 for fire control.
Firing Range:
500m point targets / 700m area targets. (7.62x51 on 18" barrel)
400m point targets. (7.62x39 on the same 18" barrel)
Fire Selection (based on user judgement):
Semi-Automatic (for 7.62x51)
Full Automatic (7.62x39 close quarters & 7.62x51 as a contingency LMG)

Instead of barrel / caliber change, the soldier just changes the magazine. The weapon's suitability as a CQB or Battle Rifle is interchangeable within 5 seconds. ARDE just has to come up with a simple (as I understand) twin-position breech lock for the bolt to accommodate both rounds. We already have our FN FAL(1A) & AK rounds. If need be, develop a 5.56 version as well.
Is this concept possible?
What would be the reliability / fire control ability / production simplicity of such a rifle?

1. 7.62x51 magazine well size is significantly larger, unless a CM-901 style magwell is adapted.
2. 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 can use a common magazine well.
3. Barrel change between 7.62x51 and lower calibers would require change of spring as well due to much more massive amounts of gas and recoil in the former.

The multi caliber guns which change to 7.62x51 change everything.

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
I like the AR-15 style magwell with the bolt-release which is a nifty feature when you have to do a quick reload, if it has the bolt release I am pretty sure it will have the last round bolt hold open. The AR-15 style non-reciprocating charging handle is also nice but a ambidextrous non-reciprocating charging handle like ACR and MSBS-B could also be implemented although that has a few problems of it's own.

I think the only the 5.56 NATO, 7.62x39 and 6.8x43/6.8 Indian would be adopted as Twinblade mentioned before the magwell for the 7.62 NATO would need to be bigger and the receiver would need to be strengthened to take the pressure of the larger 7.62 NATO round.

Would love to see features like ambidextrous magazine release, ambidextrous bolt release, folding stock with adjustable length of pull (SCAR/ARX type), twin ejection ports with user adjustable ejection port type (ARX type) and a free-floating longer monolithic rail with studs for addon rails on 3, 6 and 9'o clock positions.

Last edited:

hardip

The vertical fore grip is just a add on accessory(optional) .I have provided it on sniper and LMG because this is one of the accessory which should be a standard issued.To use it or not , should be at discretion of the soldier(at least he should be provided with the option).

Some of the advantages of vertical fore grip as commonly stated by the users are:

1 It help to control the jump of the rifle more effectively and keep the muzzle on target.

2 Easier target acquisition,improve reflex shooting.

3 In sustained firing the barrel of the gun and hand-guard becomes very hot,vertical fore-grip keep you hands away from all this heat.

4 Using vertical fore grip leaves adequate free space in your hand-guard to mount other accessory such as flash light,laser etc.

5 Allow the rifle to be firmly seated in the shoulder by applying rearward pressure.

6 help users get a proper support hand grip without the wrist strain that some shooters experience when gripping high on the fore end.

7 Can act as a bipod,thus help in more stable shooting.

8 More comfortable ;less fatigue.

Disadvantage:

1 More additional attachment to your rifle,more additional weight.

2 People feel that traditional shooting stance with support hand on hand guard is better ,it will integrate the muscular chain of your body better ;to help bring the weapon system tighter into your body.

In lmg and sniper rifle we generally use traditional bipod ,which help in stabilizing the LMG in case of sustained firing and sniper rifle for accurate shots by resting the bipod in a fixed position.But ,there are times when both lmg gunner and sniper have to shoot without any fixed support,while standing ,in motion or have to get involved in CQB at certain times.At such times, I think a vertical fore grip helps the shooter.Plus ,there are certain times when we have to mount several other accessory on our hand-guard which make it difficult to have traditional grip on a rifle hand-guard.

People either love vertical fore grip or hate it,they have their reasons for it.I feel we should provide the option of vertical fore grip as standard accessory with a rifle.The decision to use it should be left at sole discretion of a soldier.

For such times.

I n many Indian.. want to see like this.. weapons in Indian soldiers..

Twinblade

Country flag

MCIWS with folding stock displayed at Indian Science Congress Mysuru. Pic courtesy DRDO.
The above clears the doubts whether the MCIWS is derived from the M-16 family with buffer spring in stock.

*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62

Blood+

Country flag
I like the AR-15 style magwell with the bolt-release which is a nifty feature when you have to do a quick reload, if it has the bolt release I am pretty sure it will have the last round bolt hold open.
The MCIWS has already got this bolt release feature,the release lever is visible in this following picture :
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/DRDO_MCR.jpg

The AR-15 style non-reciprocating charging handle is also nice but a ambidextrous non-reciprocating charging handle like ACR and MSBS-B could also be implemented although that has a few problems of it's own.
The MCIWS does come with an ambidextrous charging handle.
Would love to see features like ambidextrous magazine release, ambidextrous bolt release,
Already present.
folding stock with adjustable length of pull (SCAR/ARX type),
Have been made available in the latest prototypes.
twin ejection ports with user adjustable ejection port type (ARX type)
That would only complicate an already complicated design further!!
and a free-floating longer monolithic rail with studs for addon rails on 3, 6 and 9'o clock positions.
This one is truly necessary.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Are Indian Armed forces using this gun? Have the trials completed? How many of them have been ordered? The Armed forces are in need of a new gun. Are we buying new guns from foreign firms or are we looking to get this?

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
The MCIWS has already got this bolt release feature,the release lever is visible in this following picture :
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/DRDO_MCR.jpg
I meant the bolt-release feature of the AR-15 that is present in the MCIWS

The MCIWS does come with an ambidextrous charging handle.
Yes similar to the AR-15 but not like the ACR MSBS

Already present.
Bolt-release is only present on the left side, magazine release is on the right side. The safety selector lever is ambidextrous though.

Have been made available in the latest prototypes.
Sorry wasn't following MCIWS progress too closely

That would only complicate an already complicated design further!!
Doesn't complicate for the ARX-160 and could allow firing from behind a wall ambidextrously utilitsing cover.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Present to OFB, ishapore rifle factory. Hope they can make them and give it to our armed forces.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk
Do we have any sort of confirmation of orders of these rifles?

We have seen so many SMGs and assault rifles come up and just go into the thin air because Army rejects them.

Abhi9

Country flag
I think they have shortened the barrel on the MCIWS. Picture is from latest DRDO news letter

MCIWS.jpg

salute

I think they have shortened the barrel on the MCIWS. Picture is from latest DRDO news letter

View attachment 7752
still its too big like machine gun fn minimi,

cant they make it short like m4,

yeah m4 is carbine not multical but isnt this gun too big for soldiers to use it from corners or tight areas,

it should be machine gun more than rifle.

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

MCIWS might be renamed, "Advanced Assault Rifle". You partially see two different stock designs of it behind the man.

Bottom right board partially shows a new grenade launcher for assault rifles, looks like it has a pistol grip.

You can see parts of the MCIWS on the table.

All the new models seem to not have foldable iron sights.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles