DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

pmaitra

That image is not clear enough, but looking at the gas tubes in these two pics, it can be said they are the same new rifle that the minister is holding, compared to the old ones.
Yes, that is what I also said, that the picture is not clear, so I could be wrong.

Also, my comment was about the flash suppressor. The old MCIWS' flash suppressor looks like like INSAS' flash suppressor.

Blood+

Country flag
and big in size, lengthy too,
it should be like m4.
M4 is a carbine,MCIWS on the other hand,is a full fledged rifle.Try to learn the difference between the two before posting your comment.

Twinblade

Country flag
M4 is a carbine,MCIWS on the other hand,is a full fledged rifle.Try to learn the difference between the two before posting your comment.
Many modern rifles are around the size of M4 with 13-14 inch barrels (Bren Cz 805, Beretta ARX 160, FN SCAR). The modern carbines are even shorter with 10-11 inch barrels. 18-20 inch barrels are no longer good enough.

Blood+

Country flag
Many modern rifles are around the size of M4 with 13-14 inch barrels (Bren Cz 805, Beretta ARX 160, FN SCAR). The modern carbines are even shorter with 10-11 inch barrels. 18-20 inch barrels are no longer good enough.
That's just your opinion,mate,do not shove it down as a fact.Such short barrels on those 'rifles' is exactly what making them totally unsuitable and ineffective for medium range combat.Because the 5.56 was designed to be fired from 20 inch barrels,because of its higher velocity requirement owing to its light weight bullets.

Twinblade

Country flag

That's just your opinion,mate,do not shove it down as a fact.
Yes, because some of the biggest arms designers and firms standardising around 13-16 inch barrels for rifles, INSAS Excalibur included, with greater overall gun stability is just my opinion and in no way reflects the modern trends in weapon design (circa 2005 onwards). The fact that most of these guns with shorter barrels have a calibrated range greater or equal the MCIWS with a much larger barrel is totally my opinion as well.

Blood+

Country flag
Yes, because some of the biggest arms designers and firms standardising around 13-16 inch barrels for rifles, INSAS Excalibur included, with greater overall gun stability is just my opinion and in no way reflects the modern trends in weapon design (circa 2005 onwards). The fact that most of these guns with shorter barrels have a calibrated range greater or equal the MCIWS with a much larger barrel is totally my opinion as well.
Greater range with shorter barrel and same ammunition - wow!!Awesome!!Brilliant!!Excellent!!Now you should contact the Nobel committee mate,for you have successfully altered the laws of physics!!Bravo!!

Twinblade

Country flag
Greater range with shorter barrel and same ammunition - wow!!Awesome!!Brilliant!!Excellent!!Now you should contact the Nobel committee mate,for you have successfully altered the laws of physics!!Bravo!!
I am being rather polite here, I don't think you grasp the concept sufficiently. INSAS bullets have sufficient lethality till 700-800 meters, yet the effective range of the rifle is only 400 meters. Why ? because due to the stability of rifle, sights etc. and the trajectory of the round, the accuracy drops significantly past 400 meters and it is fairly difficult to hit anything. INSAS excalibur achieves the same range with a shorter 16 inch barrel and better gun design. No laws of physics were broken with the above modification. Ditto with M-16, the lethality of the 5.56 ammunition is upto 900 meters yet the effective range is only 500 meters with a 20 inch barrel same as that of m-4.

MCIWS with its large barrel is claiming a range of 500 meters which might have been ok for a legacy rifle but does not cut muster against modern rifles. Many rifles with a shorter barrel match or exceed that range. That effective range is not just a function of bullet kinetics but also due to the error in trajectory induced by the platform.

Blood+

Country flag
I am being rather polite here,
And so am I,trust me.

I don't think you grasp the concept sufficiently.
Oh please,save it for someone who hasn't fired a rifle.

INSAS bullets have sufficient lethality till 700-800 meters, yet the effective range of the rifle is only 400 meters. Why ? because due to the stability of rifle, sights etc.
Stability comes into picture when you are firing in bursts,but that is not the case with semi auto!!Yes,if the gun is less stable,it will take more time to realign your rifle after you fire it,so it will take longer to line up the follow up shots downrange.But stability does not increase range,not in the semi automatic mode at least.
And as for sights,INSAS has got nearly identical aperture sights as on the M16!!Besides,at 700-800 meters,the regular SS109s do not retain nearly enough power to reliably incapacitate someone,unless of course you can hit their vital organs.

and the trajectory of the round, the accuracy drops significantly past 400 meters and it is fairly difficult to hit anything.
You think?? :D For once,I've to agree though.But this will apply to any and every rifle,chambered in 5.56X45,more so for the short barrel ones like M4 or SCAR due to their significantly reduced initial muzzle velocity.No matter how much you want to deny this,laws physics simply won't allow them to achive greate ranges to INSAS just because their alleged greater stability.

INSAS excalibur achieves the same range with a shorter 16 inch barrel and better gun design. No laws of physics were broken with the above modification. Ditto with M-16,
This statement does not make an iota of sense.What do you mean by 'Ditto with M16'?The standard issue M16s still come with a full length 20 inch barrel,obviously they are among the most power rifles,chambered for this particular caliber.
And I very much doubt that Excalibur would have similar or better range than INSAS 1B1.I mean the projectiles,run through a 400mm barrel will never attain nearly as much muzzle velocity as will be the one from a 464 mm one,so most definitely,the former will have lesser power and as a result,more parabolic trajectory than the later.
The M4 won't be any different,if anything,it would fare even worse.And it has already been proven on many occasions,there is a reason why the USMC is still using full length M 16A4s instead of the M4 carbines.
the lethality of the 5.56 ammunition is upto 900 meters
That's nearly impossible.At that range,a regular 5.56 projectile will have lost so much of its energy that it will hardly be able to incapacitate anyone.
yet the effective range is only 500 meters with a 20 inch barrel same as that of m-4.
Yet there have been instances,where tangos have survived multiple hits on their torsos at less than 300 yard distances,and the bullets had been fired from........................you guessed it correct - M4s!!I do not blame you though,this can be linked to your lack of practical experience and blindly following the wiki or the sales brochures.
MCIWS with its large barrel is claiming a range of 500 meters which might have been ok for a legacy rifle but does not cut muster against modern rifles. Many rifles with a shorter barrel match or exceed that range.
Yeah,only in their respective marketing brochures,But in real life,more than often,all those claims are found to be utter hogwash.
That effective range is not just a function of bullet kinetics but also due to the error in trajectory induced by the platform.
And how do you know that tolerances in the MCIWS are kept so much sloppy that it induces rather large and uncontrollable error in the bullet trajectory,compared to the likes of ARX or Bren CZ??Do you have any evidence to actually base your hypotheses on or you is it just your faith,like that of those gullible religious fools,who have no evidence to support the existence of their Gods but still believe in it anyway just because they have got FAITH.So which one is it??

pmaitra

INSAS excalibur achieves the same range with a shorter 16 inch barrel and better gun design. No laws of physics were broken with the above modification. Ditto with M-16,
This statement does not make an iota of sense.What do you mean by 'Ditto with M16'?The standard issue M16s still come with a full length 20 inch barrel,obviously they are among the most power rifles,chambered for this particular caliber.
The best way to compare is to use the same type of ammunition (grain wise, not just calibre wise) on INSAS and M-16.

The US military ammo is less powerful than US civilian ammo. Many fora report their observations but often leave out the details. Without the details, we cannot have a conclusion.

And I very much doubt that Excalibur would have similar or better range than INSAS 1B1.I mean the projectiles,run through a 400mm barrel will never attain nearly as much muzzle velocity as will be the one from a 464 mm one,so most definitely,the former will have lesser power and as a result,more parabolic trajectory than the later.
It is hard to imagine how a shorter barrel of the Excalibur can match the accuracy of the slightly longer barrel of the INSAS, but in this thread, when we are talking about the MCIWS, all discussion is moot unless we know what specific barrel is fitted to the MCIWS when observing the accuracy.

Blood+

Country flag
The best way to compare is to use the same type of ammunition (grain wise, not just calibre wise) on INSAS and M-16.
True.But I think the standard issue ammo for both US Army/USMC and Indian Army regular infantry is the M885/SS109,so the we can definitely draw a conclusion without having any doubt about leaving out any details,or the comparison being unfair to one of them.

The US military ammo is less powerful than US civilian ammo. Many fora report their observations but often leave out the details. Without the details, we cannot have a conclusion.
True.But all the reports.......all the complains I've seen of tangos not dying even after getting mid body shots,have been from the US Army personnel,but not one from the USMC yet.And there lies the answer - it's the barrel length that is making the difference.The 5.56 had been designed to be fired from 18"+ long barrels.....you cut the barrel short..............well,we all know what will happen.

It is hard to imagine how a shorter barrel of the Excalibur can match the accuracy of the slightly longer barrel of the INSAS,
Precisely my point,but some people seems to think otherwise.That's why blindly following Wikipedia or those glossy sales brochures is always counterproductive.
By the way,when we are talking about rifle barrels,68 mm is not 'slight' by any stretch of imagination.
but in this thread, when we are talking about the MCIWS, all discussion is moot unless we know what specific barrel is fitted to the MCIWS when observing the accuracy.
Yes,but I just wanted to know how that member had reached to his conclusion that MCIWS is any less stable and accurate than other modern rifles??Did he compared all those rifles by himself or was it from Wiki??That's all.

pmaitra

True.But I think the standard issue ammo for both US Army/USMC and Indian Army regular infantry is the M885/SS109,so the we can definitely draw a conclusion without having any doubt about leaving out any details,or the comparison being unfair to one of them.
I doubt it. There is an interview given by Gen. V. K. Singh on the INSAS. There, he made a comment about the INSAS rounds having a very straight trajectory. I suspect the rounds used by Indian infantry is somewhat equivalent to US civilian ammo, and more powerful than US military ammo.

True.But all the reports.......all the complains I've seen of tangos not dying even after getting mid body shots,have been from the US Army personnel,but not one from the USMC yet.And there lies the answer - it's the barrel length that is making the difference.The 5.56 had been designed to be fired from 18"+ long barrels.....you cut the barrel short..............well,we all know what will happen.
USMC and US Army, if considered separately, then I agree with what you say.

Precisely my point,but some people seems to think otherwise.That's why blindly following Wikipedia or those glossy sales brochures is always counterproductive.
By the way,when we are talking about rifle barrels,68 mm is not 'slight' by any stretch of imagination.
Yeah, there is a lot of speculation.

Yes,but I just wanted to know how that member had reached to his conclusion that MCIWS is any less stable and accurate than other modern rifles??Did he compared all those rifles by himself or was it from Wiki??That's all.
If all they did is cut short the barrel, then there is no way the accuracy can be improved. If they did something else along with cutting short the barrel, then yes, it is a possibility. I will await more information.

Blood+

Country flag
I doubt it. There is an interview given by Gen. V. K. Singh on the INSAS. There, he made a comment about the INSAS rounds having a very straight trajectory. I suspect the rounds used by Indian infantry is somewhat equivalent to US civilian ammo, and more powerful than US military ammo.
I've watched that interview and the only conclusion I can draw at this moment is that,the General was talking about M193 rounds.Those things are quite a bit faster and has got straighter trajectory as a result.And as far as I know,M193 has largely been withdrawn from US service,owing to its alleged 'inhuman' wounding effects,but here, it still continues to remain in production and active in front-line service.So that might be the reason.

USMC and US Army, if considered separately, then I agree with what you say.
Well,separate in the sense,that USMC does a lot of things smarter than US Army does - plain and simple,the prime example being retaining and improvement of the full length M16A4s by the USMC instead of mindlessly replacing it with its shorter barreled cousin.

Yeah, there is a lot of speculation.
True,that's the reason I was saying to him that it was too early to jump to conclusions.We do not have full data,to be honest,we do not have much of data regarding the MCIWS.............heck,even the user trials are not yet complete!!

If all they did is cut short the barrel, then there is no way the accuracy can be improved. If they did something else along with cutting short the barrel, then yes, it is a possibility. I will await more information.
Well,the 5.56 barrel on MCIWS appears to be the same one from the 1B1.And in my opinion,the 1B1 has a solid heavy barrel,and I don't think that there really is a necessity to change it.But lets see what happens.

ghost

Please read:http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news/multi-calibre-assault-rifle-make-in-india-vs-made-in-india/

=================================================================================
Indian army should immediately stop wasting its time and energy on testing other assault rifles .It should depute a committee specially comprising of SF members who have worked in desert, siachen, kashmir and all other areas which India and a combat field has to offer .This committee should work along with ARDE in development of MCIWS and provide their input for improvement .If Indian army wants a world class product it should stop whining and be prepared to contribute to make mciws a world class product in itself. If you put work and effort anything can be achieved ,Indian army should put in active efforts in development of mciws and work in collaboration with ARDE .This is what Israeli army did during the development of Tavor and same is expected from Indian army. Instead of complaining afterwards of what you got, participate in developing what you want.

I love the new flash hider/muzzle brake, 90 degree gas block and the fact that stock in not only retractable but also foldable. It would be nice if they also include an adjustable cheek rest and aluminium receiver is painted in black colour matching handguard. Assault rifle procurement kept aside Indian army should make holographic sight standard issue ,it is important for enhance reflex shooting in combat situation.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Please read:http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news/multi-calibre-assault-rifle-make-in-india-vs-made-in-india/

=================================================================================
Indian army should immediately stop wasting its time and energy on testing other assault rifles .It should depute a committee specially comprising of SF members who have worked in desert, siachen, kashmir and all other areas which India and a combat field has to offer .This committee should work along with ARDE in development of MCIWS and provide their input for improvement .If Indian army wants a world class product it should stop whining and be prepared to contribute to make mciws a world class product in itself. If you put work and effort anything can be achieved ,Indian army should put in active efforts in development of mciws and work in collaboration with ARDE .This is what Israeli army did during the development of Tavor and same is expected from Indian army. Instead of complaining afterwards of what you got, participate in developing what you want.

I love the new flash hider/muzzle brake, 90 degree gas block and the fact that stock in not only retractable but also foldable. It would be nice if they also include an adjustable cheek rest and aluminium receiver is painted in black colour matching handguard. Assault rifle procurement kept aside Indian army should make holographic sight standard issue ,it is important for enhance reflex shooting in combat situation.
This author, Danvir Singh, does a better job than the other colonel (look at the comments on the article).

I quote:
Aping the philosophy of the West, the Indian Army wanted a rifle that would incapacitate a solider instead of killing him thus increasing the logistics burden for each soldier injured. However, as the Army started getting involved in Counter Insurgency especially in the North, the requirement for a gun with a higher kill capacity was felt. The infantrymen now prefer the famed AK-47 rifle over the INSAS.

That's right. It was the Indian Army who wanted the INSAS, and specifically the 5.56 NATO round, They wanted a rifle that would be light, and would rather injure than kill an enemy; apart from being able to carry more bullets for the same weight.

Compare this with the article by Rahul Bedi.

Some more quotes:
On the other side, braving all criticism of an inefficient INSAS rifle to its credit, unbelievably though, the ARDE has simultaneously developed a Multi-Calibre Individual Weapon System (MCIWS) as a technology demonstrator. The Indian Army, however, did not support this project and went ahead hunting in foreign lands for a dream assault rifle, thus ignoring the indigenous effort outright.

And yet another one:
In a country where the caste, creed and corruption form the backbone of our democratic system, the Indian Army cannot be kept isolated. No wonder, the 1.18-million strong Army’s quest for 66,000 new rifles for its 382 Infantry battalions becomes a super lucrative deal (an estimated $3 billion to $4 billion) rendering indigenisation unattractive. It should come as no surprise if probed, that there are forces supported by the politico-bureaucratic-military nexus serving the designs of the arms mafia, who deliberately want this indigenous effort quashed. It may be surprising, but not really though, that our scientists can develop and launch a probe to Mars but fail to produce an assault rifle.

A very well written article by an educated and well informed author. He is the same man who was photographed testing the MCIWS. It appears, he travelled to ARDE as a private visitor. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Danvir Singh

Associate Editor, Indian Defence Review, former Commanding Officer, 9 Sikh LI and author of book "Kashmir's Death Trap: Tales of Perfidy and Valour".

Last edited:

ghost

A very well written article by an educated and well informed author. He is the same man who was photographed testing the MCIWS. It appears, he travelled to ARDE as a private visitor. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Danvir Singh

"Amidst media reports of the Indian Army scraping the search for a multi-calibre assault rifle from foreign vendors, a team from the Indian Defence Review (IDR) visited the Armament Research Development Establishment (ARDE) at Pune recently. It was an exercise undertaken to understand the efforts made by Indian scientists in developing an indigenous assault rifle; a call unheard thus far. "

Sir,

He visited ARDE as part of a team from Indian defence review, being associate editor himself to do a story on ARDE.

He himself has not been pleased with Insas in past and had said" insas is demonstration of poor research and development",having said that insas is past .what matter now is that the selection is made based on merit.I myself would like indigenous rifle to be selected,but based on its merit rather than being selected due to quota system of rifle.As I have said earlier, army should collaborate with ARDE and help in suggesting and implementing improvement which would bring mciws to their standards of an ideal weapon system.

An assault rifle can claim success when:

1 Army and special forces of other countries adopt it without any subsidy or because you are giving them out for free.

OR

2 Chinese start making copies of it.:wink:

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
So @pmaitra ,it seems like the developers have moved back to the old long stroke piston gas system in this new prototype,don't you think??

salute

View attachment 5924

updated MCIWS is looking great ,but hand guard need to be changed like M4A1 with rails. Top railing also too short to place two optics simultaneously
yeah man the hand guard cover should have railing,
so that railing goes on all the top of the rifle,
there is nothing new about this,
even then drdo always short on new thinking,
and thats why drdo cannot impress army and so army guys dont like drdo products.

Blood+

Country flag
yeah man the hand guard cover should have railing,
so that railing goes on all the top of the rifle,
there is nothing new about this,
even then drdo always short on new thinking,
and thats why drdo cannot impress army and so army guys dont like drdo products.
So you mean,Army should also reject this MCIWS on the grounds of it not having a continuous top rail??Is that what you mean??If that's how your mind rolls,then nothing really remains left to discuss with you.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Does anybody know if third party audit of design is part of the DRDO development process?

I would recommend to get some independent consultant gunsmiths from America, Russia and Israel to audit the weapon. Who know they might even have some good ideas for improvement.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles