Closure of DFI effective 10th July 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinash

Country flag
BTW for all the great work DFI owners have done so far, I'd hold it against them if they disappear with no closure.

It's not fair to the members who've spent hours contributing to this site.

The least they should do is, transfer the domain (Feel free to charge for it, doesn't have to be free) and give consent for mirroring the data.

Azaad

Country flag
Solar panels convert light into electricity using photovoltaic cells .
What's is your point here ?
Also iam religious.
Uske moonh kahan lag rahe ho . Khud pagal hain sab ko pagal kar dega. Isko mere liye chodna.

Aur agar fursat mein ho toh barsaat shuru ho chuka , ekadh Krait ya nag ka fotu yahaan upload karna aur 9th August ko mere haath ka badaam doodh pee lena .

Cheers !!

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Right now, many members only want that if DFI in its current form cannot be saved and will be deleted (All data such as post, threads, sub forums will be completely wiped out) then at least someone can save all the data of the site and simultaneously transfer it and store it somewhere in whichever device allows such an operation. After that a new forum with all the same features (if possible some improvements in the operation of the forum) will be created and all the data will be moved there and we fellow DFI-IANS can live happily ever after.

@mist_consecutive what is the current status? Have you managed to save the entire site's data or not, please keep updating us.

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
From Bharat Rakshak site:

“The BR Server is hosted on a web server that is located in the France – Earlier it used to be in UK closer to Seetal’s base, but it was moved to France later on. Why France? its not because we like the Rafael more than the Tejas ! , but because that service provider offers us great protection on DDOS attacks and they have a wide range of global network peering that offers consistent browsing experience from users across the globe – whether in US, or UK, or India.

Why is the site not hosted in India? You are an Indian defence site FFS!

Read the note above about DDOS – we have been a consistent target for DDOS and cyber attacks. We havent found an Indian ISP who could provide us with the level of protection we need at the budget we have.”
Not just the protection but free speech laws in france are strong.
If government changes in india tomorrow they can shut down the forum in an instance just like porki government did with defence pk

here2where

BTW for all the great work DFI owners have done so far, I'd hold it against them if they disappear with no closure.

It's not fair to the members who've spent hours contributing to this site.

The least they should do is, transfer the domain (Feel free to charge for it, doesn't have to be free) and give consent for mirroring the data.
Forums can just die taking away with it years worth of valuable content.

There was a time long ago, after being bitten by the DSLR bug, i found refuge in POTN forum, then the go-to forum for all things photography. It closed down recently after 22 years of invaluable service. All data lost since owner didn’t sell. He just lost interest.

“Even if financially this wasn’t a burden, I do not have time or interest to code by request or set up servers (I’ve put thousands of hours for POTN during the years). Members can get very demanding, there’s no real joy in this ‘service’ for me any more. I do not really shoot photos any more, I have other interests and a profession in music.”

Vinash

Country flag
Forums can just die taking away with it years worth of valuable content.

There was a time long ago, after being bitten by the DSLR bug, i found refuge in POTN forum, then the go-to forum for all things photography. It closed down recently after 22 years of invaluable service. All data lost since owner didn’t sell. He just lost interest.

“Even if financially this wasn’t a burden, I do not have time or interest to code by request or set up servers (I’ve put thousands of hours for POTN during the years). Members can get very demanding, there’s no real joy in this ‘service’ for me any more. I do not really shoot photos any more, I have other interests and a profession in music.”

Losing interest is completely understandable.

I wouldn't blame any owner for losing interest in a site he created. It happens. But, just ending it all without even transferring the domain name is a bit selfish IMO.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Uske moonh kahan lag rahe ho . Khud pagal hain sab ko pagal kar dega. Isko mere liye chodna.

Aur agar fursat mein ho toh barsaat shuru ho chuka , ekadh Krait ya nag ka fotu yahaan upload karna aur 9th August ko mere haath ka badaam doodh pee lena .

Cheers !!
Guru ji
Aap discord aajayi , wahi pe apse milna julna hota rahega ab .

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
@SwordOfDarkness

Post your comment about mirroring the contents of the website here along with other particulars including the costs. Let other concerned members also be in the loop in order to make an informed decision which we can arrive at in a day or two.

There are members like @Haldilal ; @SKC ; @another_armchair etc who're busy scraping off data from here. If the objective is mirroring scraping off is unnecessary IMO.
Ill just point out that there may be legal concerns, so dont take any of this as legal advice, just my input on how mirroring a site is possible.

You need to get wget first if you dont have it already - https://builtvisible.com/download-your-website-with-wget/. This is for WIndows, Mac and linux come with it already.
Running the following commands locally on windows/linux while logged into dfi should give you the the entire site locally in the folder "DFI_Folder".

mkdir DFI_Folder
cd DFI_Folder
wget --mirror --convert-links --adjust-extension --page-requisites --no-parent --no-check-certificate http://defenceforumindia.com/

This will download all links starting with "http://defenceforumindia.com", in this case, the whole site. If you link for a thread, it will take the entire thread but no other threads. If you want to only take a specific thread, then your link will look something like https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/closure-of-dfi-effective-10th-july-2024.84164/

If you want to understand wget --mirror, you can see this - https://kevincox.ca/2022/12/21/wget-mirror/

Azaad

Country flag
Ill just point out that there may be legal concerns, so dont take any of this as legal advice, just my input on how mirroring a site is possible.

You need to get wget first if you dont have it already - https://builtvisible.com/download-your-website-with-wget/. This is for WIndows, Mac and linux come with it already.
Running the following commands locally on windows/linux while logged into dfi should give you the the entire site locally in the folder "DFI_Folder".

mkdir DFI_Folder
cd DFI_Folder
wget --mirror --convert-links --adjust-extension --page-requisites --no-parent --no-check-certificate http://defenceforumindia.com/

This will download all links starting with "http://defenceforumindia.com", in this case, the whole site. If you link for a thread, it will take the entire thread but no other threads. If you want to only take a specific thread, then your link will look something like https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/closure-of-dfi-effective-10th-july-2024.84164/

If you want to understand wget --mirror, you can see this - https://kevincox.ca/2022/12/21/wget-mirror/
Please note !!
@mist_consecutive ; @Haldilal ; @SKC ; @another_armchair ; @Indx TechStyle et al

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars again reminder novas ark, mastya is here till we get a solutions.

Poseidon

Country flag
Sad to see DFI go.
I joined this forum 13 years back when I was a 11th-12th class school student. Now I am a 30 year old guy in a managerial role. I am old to enough remember the DFI vs Indian defence forum fight (whose admin was someone named Farooque and was suspected by some to be a Pakistani).

Hopefully an alternate forum will be created.
Stratfront is still aorudn I think and there is another néw forum too (defence_in or something)

Poseidon

Country flag
There was another defence forum named Indian defence board back in 2012 started by @SHASH2K2
But that was shut down later.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Ap
Hunooz dilli door ast. 10 July ko waqt hain. Tum log abhi se nauka chod kar bhag liye? Remember who're the ones who leave the ship at the first sign of trouble?
, mai kuch kar bhi to nai sakta guruji .waise mai akhri waqt tak nai Jane wala hu yahan se.
Bhag kon raha hai yaha. Se , mujhe vishwas hai mistconsicutive jaise aur skc jaise mahanubhavon par ki wo sab sambhal lenge
Mai discord pe pichle 2 ya 3 saal se hu waise bhi .kek

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
Stumbled upon this forum in 2017 i guess. It's been a long time. Sad to know the portal is due for closure.
God bless Bharat
:india2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles