Closure of DFI effective 10th July 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikasd

Country flag
Very nice. But you know how it is, some of these guys running the show here are long-timers with active participation, we know what their intentions and leanings are. It'd have been nicer if you were active on here to see what you are up to exactly. But I will definitely give your forum a shot! Good to have options like these.
I respect that. Nobody can defeat the vast experience of long-timers.

The only rationale behind creating defence.in is to provide a alternate defence platform and create its own loyal user base and leanings. That's why I never tried to infiltrate DFI or any other existing Indian defence forum.

hurrians

Country flag

Cheepek

Ya'll Nibbiars Yusuf not responding to the request.
Someone should try to contact @Singh, it looks like he's the real owner and has been bankrolling the website. If he's really passionate about his work, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't agree to transfer ownership to others who are willing to outlive his work even after his exit.

Pugilist

Country flag
Lets see what direction it goes. If it really gets disbanded I will start a defence forum under a new domain (coz DFI domain seems to be bought till 2030).
Just logged in. What is the latest? @Haldilal.

I am keen to look at the following:

- buy out current owners - data and other legals; and/or
- go in with you (and others) if your setting up new forum. We can discuss ownership structure, funding etc.

I can assist with legals.

Funding is not an issue. Need to make any site self funding in 12-24 months or so.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Just logged in. What is the latest? @Haldilal.

I am keen to look at the following:

- buy out current owners - data and other legals; and/or
- go in with you (and others) if your setting up new forum. We can discuss ownership structure, funding etc.

I can assist with legals.

Funding is not an issue. Need to make any site self funding in 12-24 months or so.
Ya'll Nibbiars Owners are AWOL with no answer to the Transfer of ownership, currently we are downloading the important data here, and will upload it on the New site, so needed a legal advice on it.

Pugilist

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars Owners are AWOL with answer to the Transfer of wonesrhip, currently we are downloading the important data here, and will upload it on the New site, so needed a legal advice on it.
Careful with downloading as the data legally belongs to them (or whoever) the ultimate owner is.

Can someone find that person or persons and we tee up a whatsapp or some form of conference call so we can work out the lay of the land and take it from there.

Haldilal

Country flag
Careful with downloading as the data legally belongs to them (or whoever) the ultimate owner is.

Can someone find that person or persons and we tee up a whatsapp or some form of conference call so we can work out the lay of the land and take it from there.
Ya'll Nibbiars The Domain owners. The server owner is @LurkerBaba.

Pugilist

Country flag
From Bharat Rakshak site:

“The BR Server is hosted on a web server that is located in the France – Earlier it used to be in UK closer to Seetal’s base, but it was moved to France later on. Why France? its not because we like the Rafael more than the Tejas ! , but because that service provider offers us great protection on DDOS attacks and they have a wide range of global network peering that offers consistent browsing experience from users across the globe – whether in US, or UK, or India.

Why is the site not hosted in India? You are an Indian defence site FFS!

Read the note above about DDOS – we have been a consistent target for DDOS and cyber attacks. We havent found an Indian ISP who could provide us with the level of protection we need at the budget we have.”

Cheepek

Ya'll Nibbiars Owners are AWOL with no answer to the Transfer of ownership, currently we are downloading the important data here, and will upload it on the New site, so needed a legal advice on it.
You can't upload it like that, I assume you are using a scraper to scrape all data from a webpage.
You need a db to upload on the new site. The data you've scraped can sure be hosted but it won't be useful for the new forum.
Can you give me a screenshot of the folder structure?

Haldilal

Country flag
You can't upload it like that, I assume you are using a scraper to scrape all data from a webpage.
You need a db to upload on the new site. The data you've scraped can sure be hosted but it won't be useful for the new forum.
Can you give me a screenshot of the folder structure?
Ya'll Nibbiars don't have the backend access so have use the crude method instead.

Pugilist

Country flag
I suggest less haste as there is time before the site closes.

Need to:

1. contact owner or owners of current site and try and get their intentions;

2. If no intention to sell by owners, status of forum data and their consents in this regard;

3. Subject to the above, list of members who are willing to take an equity stake in new forum - these members then work out legals, structure and set up of new forum (or how to roll over current forum into their new entity);

4. Business plan for new site (can occur whilst 5. commences);

5. Building new site, who, roles, cost, remuneration etc.

Haldilal

Country flag
I suggest less haste as there is time before the site closes.

Need to:

1. contact owner or owners of current site and try and get their intentions;

2. If no intention to sell by owners, status of forum data and their consents in this regard;

3. Subject to the above, list of members who are willing to take an equity stake in new forum - these members then work out legals, structure and set up of new forum (or how to roll over current forum into their new entity);

4. Business plan for new site (can occur whilst 5. commences);

5. Building new site, who, roles, cost, remuneration etc.
Ya'll Nibbiars they said they got bored after running the site for last 15 years,even their kids are teenager now, and when asked about the ownership transfer, they didn't metioned anything.

We have few strong financial backers who can contribute money easily if needed we will ask for More,

And Some one suggested corporate more like the TeamBHP.

The new site Iike this not for commercial for profit but fir greater good.

here2where

Sad this place is going down too, but shutting down of forums due to owner losing interest or dwindling ad revenues is increasingly becoming common due to the onslaught of SM and AI.

Atleast hope the invaluable content of this forum can be retained in a legal manner without copyright infringement difficulties.

Sayman Ame

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars they said they got bored after running the site for last 15 years,even their kids are teenager now, and when asked about the ownership transfer, they didn't metioned anything.

We have few strong financial backers who can contribute money easily if needed we will ask for More,

And Some one suggested corporate more like the TeamBHP.

The new site Iike this not for commercial for profit but fir greater good.
Dear @Haldilal ,

It's great to see the enthusiasm from folks like yourself, @SKC , @another_armchair, @mist_consecutive . It'll be amazing if y'all can pull off a clone and get it running in such a short time.

1. Once the web-hosting, development, etc. are zeroed in on, kindly make a table showing the break-up of the costs that will be incurred.
2. After this is noted, get a list of donors, the amount they are willing to contribute and how frequently they are willing to make the donation - annually, half-annually, quarterly, monthly , one-offs.
3. The highest one-offs at the moment may need not necessarily be the highest contributors over the life of the new forum, this alone should not be the criteria for them to be a stake-holder.
4. Stake should be restricted to long-timers ( date cut-offs can be consensually agreed) and should not be handed over to everyone who makes a biggie contribution. They can be nominally decorated with tags like "VIP" , "Supermod" etc.
5. The stake-holders are also technically the face of the new forum, and as such will bear the legal responsibility of the content on the forum. This has to be made clear as they will the ones answerable to any notices.
6. While it is not necessary to get approval, opinions and feedbacks from all monetary contributors must be sought before making decisions to get the website running.

These are some of the outlines of how you can proceed further, other members can feel free to pitch in on this.

I'd like to appreciate you and the rest of the lot working on the back-end to ensure DFI rages against the dying light. Keep the mojo going!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles