China Military News & Updates

S

SammyCheung

I would also have supported my country if foreign naval vessels accidentally intruded in our territory but i would not support the action of attacking without letting them know that they are in violation of our maritime laws and need to go back. But you are making a mistake by supporting the action of the chinese navy of damaging the other nations vessels. The incident could have been defused without restoring to violent means.

I would support conflict prevention and resolution actions rather conflict creating actions.
Well obviously the Chinese have been warning the US to keep their intelligence gathering ships away from Chinese EEZ!

What could possibly make you think there was no warning given?

NikSha

ATV is a nice first step, but it's just a 60's era Soviet design submarine that Russian engineers taught the Indians how to build -- step by step like a teacher.

And on top of that it'll be at least three years before it enters service.
It's better than stealing everyone's technology and then just repainting the thing with lead paint.

BTW, I suppose your spies didn't teach your people how to do it step by step? I guess the knowledge fell out of the sky in your lap. You're the village "genius" (must.. resist..) aren't you?

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
It's better than stealing everyone's technology and then just repainting the thing with lead paint.
Both neighbours are no.1 in this 'no match':blum3:

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
sammy listen to me carefully please RESERCH AND COMPARE before you comment on military hardware will you

Avinash R

Well obviously the Chinese have been warning the US to keep their intelligence gathering ships away from Chinese EEZ! What could possibly make you think there was no warning given?
You mean china officially have issued some kind of diplomatic document which warns american naval vessels from entering it's waters, even accidentally. I have never come across such a document. Would be pleased if you point out the document or even a link.

S

SammyCheung

You mean china officially have issued some kind of diplomatic document which warns american naval vessels from entering it's waters, even accidentally. I have never come across such a document. Would be pleased if you point out the document or even a link.
Obviously, you have no idea what "EEZ" "territorial waters" or "intelligence gathering" means. I suggest you sort out these definitions and re-read what I posted.

Avinash R

^Will i ever get a straight reply? Yes i know about EEZ, Intel gathering and such terminologies. My question to you is, Is there any warning that china issued to america regarding naval intrusions? If yes, can i have a link?

S

SammyCheung

Here a link

Protest lodged against US incursion

By your previous posts, you assumed that Chinese ships did not warn US not to gather intelligence in China's EEZ. Clearly, you have no clue that China and the US have been playing cat-and-mouse games for decades now. The EP-3 incident in 2001 also involved US intelligence gathering close to China's borders.

And on top of that you also assumed that the Chinese ships did not warn the US ships to leave the area. This is also very silly since it is standard ROE to warn before intercepting during peacetime.

Avinash R

^That's what i was asking all along. Your repeated side-stepping of the issue led me to "assume" that you were not interested to reply to the point. And BTW damaging naval vessels for small incursions looks amateurish and not the sign of a nation which aspires to be world power. This could have been handled more wisely.

S

SammyCheung

^ Why do you assume this is a "small incursion"? Do you have any idea how capable US intelligence gathering vessels can be?

By handled "more wisely" what do you mean? Just warn them over and over again and then do nothing when they ignore your warnings?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Did the topic change from China being nervous about India to nervous about US?

Avinash R

^ Why do you assume this is a "small incursion"? Do you have any idea how capable US intelligence gathering vessels can be?
By handled "more wisely" what do you mean? Just warn them over and over again and then do nothing when they ignore your warnings?
yes american naval vessels are highly advanced compared to china for intel gathering but that does mean you damage those vessels.
I said it before and i say it again, physically damaging those vessels should have been avoided. Instead other means like diplomacy could have been used to solve the matter. Those ships are not going to stop coming near chinese waters, so anyway you will need to talk to americans to create a mechanim that such incidents dont recur. It would have been better if talks were held this time around.

shotgunner

Any war with China will most like end up in a big mushroom cloud, win or loose, doesn't matter, the one on the loosing side will go out with a bang turning most of the enemy lands into nuclear wastelands.

So yeah, forget 2012, I would be surprised if Chinese grow a pair to attack India "directly" even by 2050.
Truly, forget 2012. What's the meaning of "grow a pair"? Do you have such "a pair" to attack say China? If you have this "a pair" when would you walk your walk?

shotgunner

yes american naval vessels are highly advanced compared to china for intel gathering but that does mean you damage those vessels.
I said it before and i say it again, physically damaging those vessels should have been avoided. Instead other means like diplomacy could have been used to solve the matter. Those ships are not going to stop coming near chinese waters, so anyway you will need to talk to americans to create a mechanim that such incidents dont recur. It would have been better if talks were held this time around.
Yes diplomacy should be a better (maybe the best) way to resolve conflicts. However if it fails, no choice, no way to negotiate with a bully, only affirmative action. I repeat, it is not the best way, but a cruel fact of life. I remembered once in Itaewon (Korea, near US army base), I was in a bar. One GI came in, asked (actually told bluntly) me to give him my table. I refused, and things started to escalate, end up in fighting of course. That's very common.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Govt aware of China developing infrastructure in border areas

Govt aware of China developing infrastructure in border areas

India on Wednesday (July 29) said it was aware of infrastructure building by China in the border regions in Tibet and Xinjiang Autonomous Regions and the government was giving "careful and special attention" to development in those areas. "Government is giving careful and special attention to the development of infrastructure in the border areas opposite China, in order to meet our strategic and security requirements and also to facilitate the economic development of these areas," External Affairs Minister S M Krishna said.

In a written reply he informed Lok Sabha that the government was aware of China developing infrastructure in the border regions opposite India in Tibet and Xinjiang Autonomous Regions. "This includes Qinghai-Tibet railway line, with proposed extension up to Xigaze and Nyingchi, and development of road and airport facilities," he said.

Government has been giving attention to development of border states including Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh, Krishna said. Afghanistan: There have been 13 Indian casualties in terrorist related incidents in Afghanistan and necessary precautionary and preventive measures have been taken from time to time, including deployment of security personnel to thwart terrorist attacks, Krishna said in reply to another question

youngindian

Country flag
Beijing does a U-turn, praises India-China bond

5 August 2009

BEIJING: China on Wednesday signaled its desire to adopt a friendlier diplomatic approach towards India as compared to its somewhat aggressive stance in the past weeks. Zhang Yan, the Chinese ambassador in New Delhi,has lent his name to a highly favorable editorial published by People’s Daily on Wednesday.

The Internet edition of the paper, which is the official organ of the Communist Party of China, said that Sino-Indian relations have advanced in an all-round way and with a fast pace in recent years. The tone and content of the article is almost the opposite of what was said in another piece two months back.

The paper and its sister publication, Global Times, published a aggressive article last June reprimanding India for "unwise military moves" of marshalling forces along the Arunchal Pradesh border. The article said India’s moves are "dangerous if it is based on a false anticipation that China will cave in".

It is not clear what prompted the editorial apart from the fact that the "greatest neighbors" are due to celebrate six decades of friendship next year. It talked about how India and China are jointly influencing global affairs by taking similar approach on issues concerning environmental protection, climate change, food and energy security and at the Doha round of trade talks.

Contrast these views with those expressed by the paper last June when it said:

"India has long held contradictory views on China. Another big Asian country, India is frustrated that China's rise has captured much of the world's attention. Proud of its "advanced political system," India feels superior to China. However, it faces a disappointing domestic situation which is unstable compared with China's".

The June article also said that "India likes to brag about its sustainable development, but worries that it is being left behind by China. China is seen in India as both a potential threat and a competitor to surpass."

The new article does an about turn saying: "China has become one of India's largest trade partners, and India is now one of the most vital investment and overseas project contracting markets for China". The article also talks about the 35 per cent year on year growth in bilateral trade between the two countries.

The People’s Daily said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s successful, three-day visit to China in January last year has resulted in the signing of an agreement named "A Shared Vision for the 21st Century of China and India" in order to press ahead with the construction of a harmonious world for common prosperity.

Subsequent visits to China by Indian leaders Sonia Gandhi and Pranab Mukherjee and the India trip by Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi last year has resulted in a "sound momentum of sustained, smooth and steady growth has been shown in the relations between the two Asian neighbors".

"Looking ahead, people are confident that China and India, both nations with great ancient civilizations, which had contributed greatly to the world civilization and development, are sure to make new, fresh contributions to peace in Asia and the world at large while attaining their own development", it said.

Beijing does a U-turn, praises India-China bond - China - World - NEWS - The Times of India

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Nah China just now had realized that all their neigbours are really strong and they cannot stand together if attacked. And we are also far more experienced in combatting Islamic insurgency than anyone else. They also dont have a research and development base which we have.

S

SammyCheung

I don't think the two editorials are incompatible. There is no "U-turn". China is not the sworn blood enemy of India. Rather, there are serious territorial disputes between the two countries. If those are resolved to our satisfaction, there can be thousands of years of peace.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles