China Economy: News & Discussion

Kumata

Country flag
Bangladesh GDP per capita is not higher than India's if we remove 2020 data(which is a pandemic year),
Further OBOR projects are used by Chinese to debt trap poor countries like Bangladesh, Pakistan and srilanka to get some military bases in their country.

Even the poor countries are now waking up to the Chinese trap.

Where did lungi lobby bogey got created per se..any logical thinking man will laugh at this GDP thing.... And here we have same being discussed.... As well...

smartnet

Country flag
EPIC! Six-minute Bund light show invites you all to believe in Shanghai miracles

rockdog

Country flag
I have my doubt in this . Never heard of these brands ..Itel , infinix, tecno .... LAVA i heard and know... so suspect if the numbers are correct.

View attachment 96268
They are popular brands in Africa now, the Transsion group almost owns 60% market share in Africa. My friend as a software company boss are selling ERP system to Transsion group for deploying those ERP reseller end all over the continent.

5122.jpg

145115.jpg

Those brands are mainly in feature phone market in India, those users might not the target users of this forum.

rockdog

Country flag
In the long run Chinese phones and companies will be pushed out of the Indian market, as the Indian government and people are starting to wake up to the CCP threat.
From 2014 to 2021, Chinese brands share in India is increasing.

rockdog

Country flag
Bangladesh GDP per capita is not higher than India's if we remove 2020 data(which is a pandemic year),
Further OBOR projects are used by Chinese to debt trap poor countries like Bangladesh, Pakistan and srilanka to get some military bases in their country.

If we don't remove 2020 data, Bangladesh per GDP is higher than India.

Their development model seems quite effective than India, i really hope it would has higher per GDP than India, same as Sri Lanka, both are OROB target nations.

I check the comments from rediff, why Indian readers are so angry about this news, why Indian wanna the subcontient nations are full of low per gdp nations as India... i don't understand.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Their development model seems quite effective than India, i really hope it would has higher per GDP than India, same as Sri Lanka, both are OROB target nations.

I check the comments from rediff, why Indian readers are so angry about this news, why Indian wanna the subcontient nations are full of low per gdp nations as India... i don't understand.
OROB is a dept trap and it's not the reason behind Bangladesh growth only Chinese morons would call it a game changer.
Indias per capita would had been higher if we didn't got struck by Chinese virus.

rockdog

Country flag

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

So India so far didn't project any plan, but just receiving?

Tang

Country flag

Why would anybody want to include a pandemic year in its calculation,Bangladesh gdp is far lower than India's.
Both quality of life and work environment in India is far far better, that's why we have Bangladesh immigrants in India, and not the other way around.

Also Bangladesh economy is highly dependent on textile, India's economy is far far diverse ranging from IT to engg. to petrochemicals etc.

Bangladeshis can only dream of that.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Why would anybody want to include a pandemic year in its calculation,Bangladesh gdp is far lower than India's.
Both quality of life and work environment in India is far far better, that's why we have Bangladesh immigrants in India, and not the other way around.

Also Bangladesh economy is highly dependent on textile, India's economy is far far diverse ranging from IT to engg. to petrochemicals etc.

Bangladeshis can only dream of that.
If inflation and currency appreciation are taken into account India still has a higher nominal GDP per capita than Bangladesh even after 3% contraction in nominal GDP in FY21

rockdog

Country flag
Why does China consistently beat India on soft power?

China’s hard-power advantage over India — economic power plus military power — is well known. Less understood is its soft power advantage. Soft power is getting others to do what you want by persuasion. Soft-power theorists suggest that the ability to persuade rests on the power of attraction. We in India may think we are more attractive than China. The numbers show otherwise.

Joseph Nye, the political scientist who gave us the notion of soft power, suggests that it consists of foreign policy, cultural and political influence. Foreign policy influence comes from the legitimacy and morality of one’s dealings with other countries. Cultural influence is based on others’ respect for one’s culture. Political influence is how much others are inspired by one’s political values. Soft power is difficult to measure. Fortunately, the Lowy Institute in Australia has produced various measures which correspond roughly to foreign policy influence, cultural influence and political influence.

In diplomatic influence, overall, India ranks sixth and China ranks first among 25 Asian powers, which include the US (given the US’s huge diplomatic, military, and economic presence in Asia). Lowy further distinguishes between diplomatic networks, multilateral power, and perceived foreign policy leadership, ambition and effectiveness. On networks, India nearly matches China in the number of regional embassies it has but is considerably behind in the number of embassies worldwide (176 to 126). Multilaterally, India matches China in terms of regional memberships, but, crucially, its contributions to the UN capital budget are completely dwarfed by Chinese contributions (11.7 per cent to 0.8 per cent of the total). In surveys of foreign policy leadership, ambition, and effectiveness, China ranks first or fourth on four measures while India ranks between fourth and sixth in Asia.

Lowy’s overall measure of cultural influence ranks India in fourth place and China in second place in Asia. Lowy then divides cultural influence into three elements, of which “cultural projection” and “information flows” are the most important.

Lowy’s overall measure of cultural influence ranks India in fourth place and China in second place in Asia. Lowy then divides cultural influence into three elements, of which “cultural projection” and “information flows” are the most important.

Having lived for a decade in Southeast Asia, my sense is that the “whole story” is even worse for India than the numbers reveal. In no conversation about international affairs, regional geopolitics, global and Asian economy and technology, and even contemporary culture (art, music, literature, fashion) is China absent. The same cannot be said for India. You can’t have soft power if you’re not even in the conversation. When India is in the conversation, confidence in its regional ambitions, economic, military, and diplomatic capabilities, and cultural and political fit with Southeast Asia are thought to be low — as clearly documented in the State of Southeast Asia Survey Reports issued annually by the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore.

Except for South Asia, this is the case all over the world. China evokes awe; India evokes silence, a polite shake of the head, or exasperation. Classical India may stand head-to-head with classical China in the regard it garners, but contemporary India has been left a distance behind. Until we recognise that, we can’t do much about it.

Tang

Country flag
Why does China consistently beat India on soft power?

China’s hard-power advantage over India — economic power plus military power — is well known. Less understood is its soft power advantage. Soft power is getting others to do what you want by persuasion. Soft-power theorists suggest that the ability to persuade rests on the power of attraction. We in India may think we are more attractive than China. The numbers show otherwise.

Joseph Nye, the political scientist who gave us the notion of soft power, suggests that it consists of foreign policy, cultural and political influence. Foreign policy influence comes from the legitimacy and morality of one’s dealings with other countries. Cultural influence is based on others’ respect for one’s culture. Political influence is how much others are inspired by one’s political values. Soft power is difficult to measure. Fortunately, the Lowy Institute in Australia has produced various measures which correspond roughly to foreign policy influence, cultural influence and political influence.

In diplomatic influence, overall, India ranks sixth and China ranks first among 25 Asian powers, which include the US (given the US’s huge diplomatic, military, and economic presence in Asia). Lowy further distinguishes between diplomatic networks, multilateral power, and perceived foreign policy leadership, ambition and effectiveness. On networks, India nearly matches China in the number of regional embassies it has but is considerably behind in the number of embassies worldwide (176 to 126). Multilaterally, India matches China in terms of regional memberships, but, crucially, its contributions to the UN capital budget are completely dwarfed by Chinese contributions (11.7 per cent to 0.8 per cent of the total). In surveys of foreign policy leadership, ambition, and effectiveness, China ranks first or fourth on four measures while India ranks between fourth and sixth in Asia.

Having lived for a decade in Southeast Asia, my sense is that the “whole story” is even worse for India than the numbers reveal. In no conversation about international affairs, regional geopolitics, global and Asian economy and technology, and even contemporary culture (art, music, literature, fashion) is China absent. The same cannot be said for India. You can’t have soft power if you’re not even in the conversation. When India is in the conversation, confidence in its regional ambitions, economic, military, and diplomatic capabilities, and cultural and political fit with Southeast Asia are thought to be low — as clearly documented in the State of Southeast Asia Survey Reports issued annually by the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore.

Except for South Asia, this is the case all over the world. China evokes awe; India evokes silence, a polite shake of the head, or exasperation. Classical India may stand head-to-head with classical China in the regard it garners, but contemporary India has been left a distance behind. Until we recognise that, we can’t do much about it.
Good one,
Recently we saw what happened to your hard power in ladakh,last I heard PLA is now recruiting Tibetian militia 😂
It's so sad that the chinese nation did not even know the number of dead chinese soldiers in galwan.

Further rest assure after covid 19, your so called soft power has gone down to the drain.
You can show whatever opinion piece you want but it will not change the hard facts.

rockdog

Country flag
Good one,
Recently we saw what happened to your hard power in ladakh,last I heard PLA is now recruiting Tibetian militia 😂
It's so sad that the chinese nation did not even know the number of dead chinese soldiers in galwan.

Further rest assure after covid 19, your so called soft power has gone down to the drain.
You can show whatever opinion piece you want but it will not change the hard facts.
Debate with the auhtor not me, i think he is Indian, no language barrier.

ladder

Country flag

Bangladesh recently reviewed three railway projects and lowered the project cost by 10-20%.
Chinese contractors who had won the projects without open tender are now refusing to work on those projects.

Tang

Country flag
Thats why I said you can post whosever opinion post you want, India has a free speech media, that's why you see this type of post in the media.
No need to debate.
Only hard facts can justify truth, like how PLA is hiring Tibetan militia when it's own han chinese got beaten up, in their won setup ambush.

ladder

Country flag
Author posted the contents here? Was he incapable of doing so?
If you have acted as messanger or facilitator by posting it here; replies are bound for your post.

Whether it's in your abilities to reply back or you follow you country-mens' escapist tendencies, is upto you.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles