China Economy: News & Discussion

johnq

HOW COULD THEY? Fury as dog meat festival gets underway in China with 5,000 to be butchered and eaten over 10 days

johnq

For Hindi-speaking viewers:
Dog Meat Selling In China | Dog Meat Festival | Truth Of China
Truth Of China - china ki sacchai - Dog Meat Selling In China: Every June in the southeast city of Yulin 2021, thousands of dogs are slaughtered, butchered, cooked and eaten for the ten-day Lychee and Dog Meat Festival, where some believe the fruit and meat combination will bring health through the long winter months. But the thousands slaughtered at Yulin are just a drop in the ocean for a legal trade that sees 30 million dogs slaughtered worldwide annually. Although it's not part of the mainstream Chinese diet, China is the world's largest dog meat market with 97,000 tonnes produced each year. A recent pork shortage sent the price sky-high and boosted sales of dog products. Chinese dog eating festival, chinese dog eating festival, dog meat festival, truth about china, yulin2021 dog meat festival, eating dog in china, china dog meat, yulin china, dog meat in china, dog meat festival 2021. यँहा बिकता हे कुत्ते का मॉस l ये हे चीन l

johnq

The Yulin dog meat festival starts today | "Dog Meat Festival" Would You Eat A Friend?
The Yulin dog meat festival starts today. "The Lychee and Dog Meat Festival, (or Yulin Dog Meat Festival) is an annual celebration held in Yulin, Guangxi, China, by the Chinese during the summer solstice in which festival goers eat dog meat and lychees. The festival began in 2009 and spans about ten days during which it is estimated that 10,000–15,000 dogs are consumed." Listen to how they justify doing this, and then listen to yourself trying to justify eating other animals. Sound familiar? "It's fine if you don't want to eat dogs, but don't tell me I can't kill and eat them" "Dog Meat Festival" (Would You Eat A Friend?!?) Southern #China has always had a tradition of dining on dogs—people from other parts of the country even #joke that Southerners will eat anything with legs but the #dinner table. But despite becoming more #prosperous in the 1990s, Yulin has maintained the unique #tradition of holding a canine banquet every #summer. Animal rights #activists across China and the rest of the globe have increasingly condemned the Dog Meat Festival, calling for an immediate stop to eating man’s best friend. They say the dog meat trade is #illegal, unregulated, and cruel. Many claim that numerous dogs that end up in cooking pots are #stolen pets or diseased strays. In 2013, the Yulin festival gathered so much negative press that this year, the local #government denied the Summer Solstice dog-eating tradition ever even existed. But that hasn’t stopped locals from celebrating—nor has it stopped die-hard activists from flooding the town to try to #rescue dogs before the #slaughter.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag

rockdog

Country flag
China is first out of the gate to Industry 4.0

NEW YORK – 5G networks that run factories, warehouses, ports and urban transportation can increase productivity tenfold or more, industry experts believe.

Chinese industry leaders claim that thousands of 5G industry applications are now installed, mostly in the pilot stage, compared to hundreds in the rest of the world. The race towards the Fourth Industrial Revolution is still in early days, but China appears to have an impressive head start.

Telecom giant Huawei alone is building 5G applications for almost 2,000 Chinese manufacturing firms and 5,300 Chinese miners, according to a senior company executive. Enterprise solutions providers and industry consultants promise productivity gains of an order of magnitude and more with the application of Big Data/Artificial Intelligence technology to manufacturing, healthcare, logistics and even agriculture.

What its promoters call “Industry 4.0” promises to solve the great economic policy problem of the past three decades, namely stagnant productivity. Total factor productivity growth (see chart at bottom) has tapered out in all the major industrial economies. The IT revolution had minimal impact on productivity in other sectors. The country or countries that learn to transform other industries with AI and Big Data will dominate the 21st century.

Industry skeptics, though, point to several high hurdles before such gains can be realized, including high upfront investment costs, turf wars between telecom companies and technology solutions companies, fragmented technological standards and regulatory uncertainty.

Huawei’s Western competitors have also bet heavily on “Industry 4.0.” The Finnish telecom equipment manufacturer Nokia, now number three in global sales after Huawei and Ericsson, wrote on its website, “Critical communications solutions based on industrial-grade private wireless offer unimaginable possibilities to power Industry 4.0 use cases, from machine remote control, to cloud robotics, process automation, predictive asset maintenance, assisted/autonomous vehicles, CCTV monitoring and mission-critical push-to-talk and push-to-video — all on a single network infrastructure.”

The German industrial giant Siemens announced on its website, “The company has set another milestone on the path to Industrial 5G at its own Automotive Showroom and Test Center in Nuremberg, Germany: a private standalone 5G network in an industrial environment that is based exclusively on Siemens prototypes. Expectations are running high for the potential of 5G wireless communication for industrial applications.”

Other Western companies, including IBM and Cisco, are marketing 5G enterprise solutions aggressively. But the Western competition remains in proof-of-concept territory, while China is deploying 5G productivity applications in depth. Regulatory issues, including the allocation of radio spectrum to 5G applications, are a leading concern for prospective investors in 5G networks.

America’s Federal Communication Commission (FCC) auctioned US$81 billion worth of spectrum for telecom companies’ provision of 5G broadband last February, a first step towards a national 5G buildout.

The same month, China’s Vice Minister of Industry and Information Technology Liu Liehong had said that 5G standalone networks served all of the country’s prefecture-level cities (with more than 250,000 people). China thus appears to have reached the steep part of the learning curve.

According to ABI Research, a digital consulting firm with offices worldwide that provides “strategic guidance” to various tech companies, “Taking manufacturing, with its estimated 1 million factories (with more than 100 employees), as an example, typical business cases revolve around controlling the production process, improving material management, improving safety, and introducing new tools.

“ABI Research has shown that manufacturers can expect to see a tenfold increase in their returns on investment (ROIs) for cellular Industry 4.0 solutions, while warehouse owners can expect a staggering fourteenfold increase in ROI.”

Estimates of investment in enterprise-level 5G systems vary widely, in part because many networks now use older LTE technology. Last year the global consulting firm predicted “that more than 100 companies worldwide will have begun testing private 5G deployments by the end of 2020, collectively investing a few hundred million dollars in labor and equipment.”

But a January 2019 report by the Massachusetts consulting firm International Data Corporation predicted that “worldwide revenue attributable to the sales of private LTE/5G infrastructure will grow from $945 million in 2019 to an estimated $5.7 billion in 2024 with a 5-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 43.4%. This includes aggregated spending on RAN [radio access networks], core, and transport infrastructure.”

Huawei Technologies’ Chief Technology Officer Paul Scanlan told Asia Times, “In China, we have about 820,000 5G base stations, against one million globally, and 320 to 400 million consumers using 5G. In China, we built 5,000 industry solutions. We are piloting and testing them. But these things are already making money.

“We are piloting in mines, coal, iron and steel factories, chemical factories, auto, cement factories, agricultural sites. And the agriculture applications range from strawberries to rice planting. 5G was designed for this sort of thing and we are trying it out,” Scanlan said.

The Huawei executive said, “5G was designed for this sort of stuff. China understands that some of the operational efficiency comes from 5G. Hospitals treat patients faster, mines are safer, manufacturing is more efficient. We are trying to show that these things are practical and possible.”

Other Chinese tech companies are more cautious about 5G as a business-to-business technology. Last year, Tencent executive Wang Yachen said that Tencent was conducting 5G trials, but worried that high costs were a barrier to entry and that parts of the technology weren’t ready for market.

Speaking to an online conference, Tencent’s Wang said, “Our enterprise customers are looking for a private 5G network, whether it’s virtual or physical. But the physical network cost is a very big challenge.”

The tech giant, though, conducted successful trials with factor inspection robots that benefited from high download speeds and low latency (nearly instantaneous communications.) The Tencent robots used 5G to allow engineers to inspect operations with Virtual Reality.

Another speed bump for 5G applications has been the stance of Chinese telecom providers, who want to sell operator networks rather than private networks. Writing in the trade publication Light Reading, Robert Clarke reported last year, “The operators themselves are defending their monopoly with some familiar arguments: that allocating spectrum to verticals is wasteful, difficult and costly, and that operator networks are more advanced.

One China Unicom researcher, An Gang, has even asserted that private networks are one and a half generations’ behind the operators’ 5G networks.” Clarke reported that the three major Chinese telcos had built 800 private networks as of the end 0f 2020.

The telcos have come under fire from other Chinese experts. Professor Li Shaoqian of the University of Electronic Science and Technology, for one, argues that the telcos aren’t the best providers of enterprise solutions given the complexity and varying needs of individual applications.

By February 2021, though, China’s telecom providers appeared to be singing from the same hymnbook as the tech companies. A catalyst for the new mood of cross-industry cooperation was China’s all-country effort to suppress the Covid-19 pandemic, which drew in major tech companies who provided smartphone apps to track location and vital signs, as well as extensive application of AI to analyze infection trends and identify prospective virus hotspots.

Speaking on February 23 at the Mobile World Live conference in Shanghai, “China Unicom and China Mobile executives highlighted Covid-19’s role in accelerating digital transformation efforts across industries, urging players to work together to meet increased demand for digital services faster,” the organization reported.

The Covid epidemic prompted Chinese authorities to apply a suite of new technologies, including Artificial Intelligence analysis of public health data to identify prospective virus hot spots (see “Covid-19 Launces the Fourth Industrial Revolution,” Asia Times, October 19, 2020).

Mobile World Live reported, “During the opening keynote, China Unicom SVP Mai Yanzhou outlined the operator’s plans to pursue innovation across 5G, big data, cloud, AI and IoT, but said it planned to promote sharing of key resources including infrastructure and R&D. He urged industries to ‘work with each other in a deeper manner,’ noting ‘as long as we work together, we can win together.’”

China Unicom chairman and CEO Wang Xiaochu added that joint efforts to develop a firm digital foundation would help “empower high-quality growth of society and the economy.” Yang Jie, China Mobile chairman, struck a similar note arguing “all industry stakeholders need to open your arms and work with each other…to promote the digitalization and the intelligent transformation of society.”

This display of cooperative spirit probably reflects government efforts to suppress turf wars that threatened to slow the proliferation of 5G productivity applications. Huawei and the Chinese telcos have tried to underscore their cooperation.

rockdog

Country flag
India was, is and will be nowhere in the world

After the Narendra Modi-led government’s grave failure to combat the explosive second wave of Covid-19, this wave exacerbated by the Delta variant, Western media, think tanks and academia have shifted their attention to India again.

Earlier, the West projected India as a critical partner of the US to contain China’s economic and strategic clout.

That focus gained adherence after India and the US signed the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement in August 2016, and both countries inked the subsequent foundational agreements. US President Donald Trump’s first secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, termed US strategy the “planned partnership for the entire 21st century.”

But now, in stark contrast, India is being dismissed in the Western world as an ineligible partner for the Western world to contain China. The Western refocus on India now in the West is the realization of Western strategists that they made a mistake to project India as a global player. They started to recognize that India has power and strategic illusion. But they made an error , misjudging India’s proper position.

Last October 20, I wrote an article in Asia Times entitled, “India is nowhere in the world, denial won’t work.” More than a thousand Indians from India and the Indian diaspora sent me insulting and abusive emails. I didn’t feel sad about those emails. Rather, they made me laugh, and I felt pity for those who sent them.

Some of my Indian scholarly friends inside and outside India also expressed their discontent with my article. They said they found my characterization of their country over the top.

However, my comments about India were not baseless. While working at the Nepal South Asia Centre, a Kathmandu-based South Asian think tank, I had the opportunity to observe South Asia very closely.

I have a fair understanding of trade, technology, economy, politics, culture, religion, population, democracy, human rights, international relations, diplomacy and the strategies of India and other South Asian countries. I also have had plenty of opportunity to observe the Indian psyche.

I used to tell my Indian friends to wait and see that my perception of India would be proven correct sooner or later.

The pumped-up claims by Indian political leaders, top bureaucrats, diplomats, think tanks, journalists and scholars for their ideas of India’s role on the global stage used to astonish me. I used to believe that they were immersed in a fantasy far away from ground reality.

I now recognize that there is a big difference between the powerful land they have imagined and India’s actual economic and strategic position on the global stage.

In exchanging views with my Indian friends, I had always advised them not to believe the baseless claims made by their cleverer-by-half leaders and babus (top bureaucrats). I kept repeating my assertion: “India is nowhere in the world.” Many Indian friends became furious after hearing me say it.

The miserable failure to combat the coronavirus pandemic has exposed India’s weakness. The West had a misconception that India is growing and can be a global player and instrumental in countering China. However, the epidemic helped the West to dispel its illusion.

Recall a few facts. India, among the South Asian countries, is at the bottom of the Global Hunger Index, 2020. India even lags behind literally starving countries such as Congo, Ethiopia and Angola.

One in five Indians still earns under US$37.50 a month – and 88.87 percent of the population or, in other words, nine out of ten, still make less than US$ 165 a month in India.

Economic activity in India is limited to a tiny population. Out of a population of 1.36 billion, only 14.6 million people had taxable income in the fiscal year 2018/2019. India’s taxable income is above the figure of US$6,750.

Only 4.6 million Indians earn more than one million Indian rupees, an amount that equals slightly less than US$13,500.

Urban India, known to the West as India, accounts for only about 35 percent of the country’s population. Sixty-five percent of India’s population lives in rural areas. Thus, the countryside of India is very different from what India looks like in the world.

Despite the economic reforms that began in July 1991, India only grew to join merely the $2.5 trillion economies in 2019. In the Lok Sabha election campaign 2019, the Modi government raised the slogan of creating a $5 trillion economy by 2024. But India’s ambition to become a $5 trillion economy is unlikely to be realized even by 2030.

After the Coronavirus outbreak in China in March last year, there was much hype insisting that the caravan of manufacturers from China would rush to India. But there was no basis and reason for international manufacturing companies to relocate to India from China. I wrote in Asia Times last year to explain why manufacturing companies would not relocate to India from China.

Thus, as I want to repeat once again, as always in the past, India was nowhere in the world. India is nowhere in the world now. And India will be nowhere in the world in the distant future.

It does not make sense to falsely claim that India becomes a vishwaguru (world teacher) or global economic power at ordinary times. Certainly there was no possibility that India could show leadership in a crisis.

Indian Prime Minister Modi was seen as a global leader in world politics because of the pro-Western policy of his external affairs minister S. Jaishankar. US President Donald Trump used India as a proxy in his China strategy to give the impression to American voters that he would contain China. Trump had a plan to use Modi to help him be reelected in the November 3, 2020, presidential poll. But he failed unsuccessful. Modi suffered from the delusion that Trump really looked upon him as a global leader.

American strategists are well aware that Indian political leaders and high-ranking government officials have Dionysian personality traits.

American Psychological Anthropologist Ruth Fulton Benedict says that there are two types of personality traits in human beings. The first is Apollonian, and the second is Dionysian. An Apollonian person does not seek status and doesn’t want a leadership role. Meanwhile, the Dionysian person seeks more status than he/she deserves.

Due to the Dionysian personality traits prevalent among the Indian political leaders who seek more status than they actually command in reality, Indians have come to believe that they can play a role in rebalancing the US and China in the world.

The media coverage of India’s failure to control Covid-19 in the West means a lot to India. First, the West has concluded that India cannot play the role that the West wants India to play.

The West has realized that any miscalculation against China by relying on India would have cost the United States dearly, depending on India. A recently published report in the Financial Times is an example. Those who saw India’s role yesterday seem to become mindful that there’s no role India can play now.

The Biden administration looks like it is now working to reset China’s policy. Recently, the Financial Times quotes US Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Mark Milley as saying, “I think China has a ways to go to develop the actual, no-kidding capability to conduct military operations to seize, through military means, the entire island of Taiwan, if they wanted to do that,” at a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing.

Similarly, Bernie Sanders, in his most recent article in Foreign Affairs, has called for a change in China policy. Thus, the US wants to alter the China policy.

Even within India, some scholars, responsible journalists and think tanks have concluded that India is nowhere in the world currently and will not be soon. Recently, Kanti Bajpai admitted this fact in his interview with senior Indian journalist Karan Thapar about his recent book India Versus China: Why They Are Not Friends.

So what is the actual position of India in the world?

Modi’s India is in the same situation as I said in last year’s Asia Times article. I wrote, “There is a very popular Hindi proverb, “Dhobi ka kutta, na Ghar ka na ghat ka.” A working translation: “A person who is supported nowhere.”

Modi will find no beneficial friends when he needs them in the future by putting all his eggs in the American basket.

Chinese Translation:

Kumata

Country flag
Modi will find no beneficial friends when he needs them in the future by putting all his eggs in the American basket.
This last sentence sums up the fact that the author is some Illiterate retard with nil to negative understanding on Indian foreign policy. Our 12th class student will write better and well researched articles if given the task .

Fact remains that historically indian foreign policy have been independent all along, Be it NAM or SAARC or Our relations with former USSR or RUSSIA or USA or French or other XYZ country. There is more than enough evidence to my statements.

It;s Chinese fear of Indian collaboration with Americans on equal terms which CCP fears most. Apparently, they were slave dogs of US so far and have turned on their own masters but suddenly realise that they have one more master nearby and now fear that their both masters will turn on the leash on dog... anyways the way dog is behaving, this will happen sooner or later.!!!!!!!!!!

What a waste of forum storage and bandwidth. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnq

Human Animal Chimeras in Wuhan Lab | CCP Celebrates 100th Birthday
In today's episode, we explore what the Wuhan Institute of Virology was doing with human-animal chimeras (don't worry, it didn't cause a global pandemic—or did it?). Hong Kong has become a delightful police state, probably more secure than it has ever been—for Chinese Communist Party devotees. And speaking of the party, it's celebrating its 100th anniversary! How Mao Zedong Got Away With Mass Murder | Great Leap Forward https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmjqo...

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
the chickens are coming home to roost…

China’s urbanization is petering out:

Over built with inefficient debt…CCP is on the verge of bankruptcy and has no clue what to about it as it has made enemies all over the world.

rockdog

Country flag
the chickens are coming home to roost…

China’s urbanization is petering out:

Over built with inefficient debt…CCP is on the verge of bankruptcy and has no clue what to about it as it has made enemies all over the world.
Good, the "bad debt is killing China" story again in Indian forum, it started from 2004 when Indian wanted overtake China on economic size ... I was there.

741.jpg

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
Good, the "bad debt is killing China" story again in Indian forum, it started from 2004 when Indian wanted overtake China on economic size ... I was there.

View attachment 98465
Shows how brainwashed the CCP trolls are. Nominal GDP has zero correlation to standard of living. It is just output measured in US dollars and has no meaning. At least PPP or real GDP has some meaning. The whole point is inefficient debt fueled GDP is no big achievement and sooner or later has to correct itself. It is happening now. The shrinking urbanization is a major alarm.
China is ahead of India only by factor of 2-3 or so , largely due to massive borrowings, but behind India in a number of areas as well. So far the CCP has gotten away with its cheap labor based manufacturing aided by a scared-to-death civilian population who couldn’t even question why the Yangtze is blacker than my septic tank.
Any and all curves you show are all financed by low quality debt and there is a massive course correction to be had. Financial economics is like Physics - it is the same for all countries.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Shows how brainwashed the CCP trolls are. Nominal GDP has zero correlation to standard of living. It is just output measured in US dollars and has no meaning. At least PPP or real GDP has some meaning. The whole point is inefficient debt fueled GDP is no big achievement and sooner or later has to correct itself. It is happening now. The shrinking urbanization is a major alarm.
China is ahead of India only by factor of 2-3 or so , largely due to massive borrowings, but behind India in a number of areas as well. So far the CCP has gotten away with its cheap labor based manufacturing aided by a scared-to-death civilian population who couldn’t even question why the Yangtze is blacker than my septic tank.
Any and all curves you show are all financed by low quality debt and there is a massive course correction to be had. Financial economics is like Physics - it is the same for all countries.
Anyhow China will neither become bankrupt or stop growing or go into recession, yes debt may be a burden but the development they did taking debts created wealth creating ecosystem.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag

rockdog

Country flag
Shows how unwanted building of high speed rails has pushed China deeper into debt so much that they have had to cancel new HSR lines:
Internal debt is in fact kind of tax based on strong manufacturer capability, not a big deal. The HSR on eastern is quite profitable, the Beijing - Shanghai HSR is too profitable, and even ready to built the 2nd one... It also avoding import huge amount of Boeing and Airbus planes.

Of ourse, India has very good financial situation on HSR project, i guess it has zero debt or quite limited amouint, do you think we should learn from it?

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
Internal debt is in fact kind of tax based on strong manufacturer capability, not a big deal. The HSR on eastern is quite profitable, the Beijing - Shanghai HSR is too profitable, and even ready to built the 2nd one... It also avoding import huge amount of Boeing and Airbus planes.

Of ourse, India has very good financial situation on HSR project, i guess it has zero debt or quite limited amouint, do you think we should learn from it?
Absolutely you should learn from India. The $8+ billion debt we deploy for the MAHSR line is at 0.5% interest with repayment spread over 50 years with a 15 year repayment moratorium. This means our one way ticket prices for a distance of 510 km is just $50 making the whole project eminently feasible. Not to mention we will be deploying the zero accident, state-of-the-art Shinkansen technology with Indian engineers being trained to run the system with Japanese efficiency. The JICA deal terms are extremely favorable for the line’s feasibility.

Plus let’s not forget india has its own capability to make and deploy HSR train sets - couple of them are already running though at reduced speeds due to track limitations and traffic.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles