AWACS will change Asia's military dynamics

Koji

We are going to see the second one soon:

The Hindu : News / National : India's second AWACS to arrive in March

India is in the select club of nations — the US, Russia, Britain, Japan, Australia and Turkey — that operate such a sophisticated system. Other countries — notably Pakistan, Brazil and Greece — too operate AWACS but at a much lower end of the scale in terms of capability.

No mention of China :D
There are four operational KJ-2000 AWACS in service in China, and KJ-200 Y-8 are also being tested.

plugwater

Russia and CIS Defense & Policy Blog India may buy another nine A-50EI early warning aircraft

India plans to buy more A-50EI airborne early warning aircrafts from Russia.

“The Indian Air Force has applied for another nine A-50EI, including three to be supplied under the main contract and six in an option,” a defense industry source told Interfax-AVN on Monday.

Negotiations have just begun, “nevertheless, we expect Rosoboronexport to sign the contract this year,” the source said.

The aircraft will carry Israeli radar systems, he noted.

The first trilateral contract between Russia, India and Israel signed in October 2003 is being implemented successfully. Beriyev, Ilyushin and Vega represent Russia in the contract, while Israel is represented by ELTA Electronics Industries, which supplies the Falcon radar.

The first plane was delivered to India in May 2009. The second and third planes will be supplied in the middle and at the end of the year.

“The new contract will make the production continuous,” the source said.

The aircrafts are based on the Ilyushin Il-76 platform with PS-90A engines.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
That makes the number to 12, that's huge. I was thinking total number to be at 8 for Phalcons and rest to be filled with DRDO AWACS. What IAF is up to........

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
That makes the number to 12, that's huge. I was thinking total number to be at 8 for Phalcons and rest to be filled with DRDO AWACS. What IAF is up to........
Hi Nitesh, here's something interesting in the article
“The Indian Air Force has applied for another nine A-50EI, including three to be supplied under the main contract and six in an option,” a defense industry source told Interfax-AVN on Monday.
I think IAF is waiting to see how the CABS AEW&C turn out to be because it's still very much of a paper plane as of now & there could be delays too. That's why IAF is planning to have 6 as option in case the DRDO's system is not up to the mark.

seiko

So its Russian plat form for additional orders too..earlier IAF was looking for another platform for additional AWACS right?

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
So its Russian plat form for additional orders too..earlier IAF was looking for another platform for additional AWACS right?
Yeah, but the reports were not confirmed by official sources.

ppgj

india is negotiating with israel for 3 more.

India Seeks 3 More AWACS - Defense News

may be the extra aircrafts are for DRDO AEW&CS aircraft. remember IAF was asking for bigger and longer endurance planes for DRDO designed system. my guess.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
No the DRDO AEW&Cs will be complimenting the Phalcons. With GAGAN, CABS AEW&C and Phalcons the whole Indian air-space will be under constant surveillance datalinked to all the aircrafts that IAF has.

A.V.

nine more is great considering the size of the airspace its very necessary but what is interesting is that negotiations are on with russia i thought that they were looking for brazil to supply some jets but anyways just goes on to sow 2 very important points

1. IAF is happy with the quality of the product having used it for 10 odd months
2. never count russia out for any contract they just pop up again and again 29 more mig 29 k and now this

everyday i wake up i get to know india is buying new planes LOL good to see that not complaining

palash_kol

No the DRDO AEW&Cs will be complimenting the Phalcons. With GAGAN, CABS AEW&C and Phalcons the whole Indian air-space will be under constant surveillance datalinked to all the aircrafts that IAF has.
Satish...will there be any AESA radar on the indigenous DRDO AEW&C??

palash_kol

everyday i wake up i get to know india is buying new planes LOL good to see that not complaining
Its our friendship(India + Russia).:goodstuff:
But LOL we have to turn our eyes to other countries since Russia is not giving all technologies that india needs. They are just breaking much of the contracts with either higher price tag or by low-end technologies..:)>

We have secure ourselves from pakistan as well as china. They are giving all technologies to china so that they can reverse engineer those and use against India. China is our biggest threat r8 now. So please and for God shake, stop giving any defence equipments to china. Otherwise one day they will attack Russia.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
Its our friendship(India + Russia).:goodstuff:
But LOL we have to turn our eyes to other countries since Russia is not giving all technologies that india needs. They are just breaking much of the contracts with either higher price tag or by low-end technologies..:)>

We have secure ourselves from pakistan as well as china. They are giving all technologies to china so that they can reverse engineer those and use against India. China is our biggest threat r8 now. So please and for God shake, stop giving any defence equipments to china. Otherwise one day they will attack Russia.
Key technologies have never been transferred to China not even the folded steel technology of AK 47. They Give China a lot but they never transfer high end stuff. The AL 31 F powering the Chinese fighters costs more than the aeronautics and avionics together. Everyone starting from Napoleon to Hitler underestimated the Bear. The Bear is far more intelligent and cunning. And the Russians since the soviet days have been supplying even it's allies with downgraded equipments. Only in 1999 the world outside saw a glimpse of what an advanced variant of the Flanker can really do in operational roles. That was the SU 30 MKI which started speeding up the induction of 3 aircrafts, the most advanced aircrafts in the world namely the EF, Rafale and the F-22 raptor. The Soviets always had 2 versions of the aircraft namely the version for themselves and the export versions. The export versions were severely downgraded ones. You need to go through a lot of stuff before blaming Russians. And dont you think it is ridiculous to get a fully refurbished carrier, 12 MiG 29ks, 2 nuke submarines and all for just $900 mil?

palash_kol

Key technologies have never been transferred to China not even the folded steel technology of AK 47. They Give China a lot but they never transfer high end stuff. The AL 31 F powering the Chinese fighters costs more than the aeronautics and avionics together. Everyone starting from Napoleon to Hitler underestimated the Bear. The Bear is far more intelligent and cunning. And the Russians since the soviet days have been supplying even it's allies with downgraded equipments. Only in 1999 the world outside saw a glimpse of what an advanced variant of the Flanker can really do in operational roles. That was the SU 30 MKI which started speeding up the induction of 3 aircrafts, the most advanced aircrafts in the world namely the EF, Rafale and the F-22 raptor. The Soviets always had 2 versions of the aircraft namely the version for themselves and the export versions. The export versions were severely downgraded ones. And dont you think it is ridiculous to get a fully refurbished carrier, 12 MiG 29ks, 2 nuke submarines and all for just $900 mil?
Well said... Satish...Then why did they make the agreement to refurbish for just $900 mil...It was their big mistake....It should not be repeated...What they asked to pay additional was quite big amount. We can buy a new one rather than refurbish for just few extra mil $...
You need to go through a lot of stuff before blaming Russians.
Satish vaiya....I am not saying that i know everything....I have been in the www.indiandefenceforum.com for long time...Nowadays I dont have time to discuss here because of the job. But I promise you will gradually come to know that I also came though many stuffs. Still now I regularly check every national and international defence details...This is my field of interest....So please...I will not request you not to say this any more...

Articles