Astra BVRAAM

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Correct. Plus smokeless & low IR.

These stuff bring up the price. But we can expect some reduction once its fully adopted & maintenance, storage facility etc. are properly set up.
It can pull over 50Gs I’ve heard, and I have also heard that it’s 50G turn capability is unmatchable in BVR missile category by any missile.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Are you referring to a member whose name starts with V?:)

Anyways, I won't trust this report of IAF orders of 250 more Astra until I see a better source than IDRW, though I believe that the order is in final stages.
Hello, That '' V " is me.

What a ''Double Dholki'' you are. You are believing on IDRW for delivery of first batch of 50 Astra but not believing when it say IAF ordered 250 more missiles. why ? Believe ya.

BTW, IDRW is talking about same 248 missile which cleared by ministry in July

May be few people here could now lay in rest after incessant crying.
Please check your few of arbitrary replies and compare these with https://idrw.org/astra-mk1-bvraams-now-operational-with-iaf/#more-237827.

In development of any system, the hardest part is investment. DRDO on whole can't go on and keep on developing prototypes after prototypes for testing. Somewhere user would have to come with investment. LSP means that 50 nos of missiles would be at the hand of IAF to test it under different scenario and targets. The results would then be shared with DRDO and tweaking would take place if needed.

Remember the LCA prog? There too LSP has been provided to IAF and consequently we have seen changes done before IOC and then FOC.

It was not. This decision of ordering 250+ came only post extensive trial of those 50 LSP. I mentioned it earlier too that order would come only after extensive flight and fire trial of the 50 LSPs.
BTW thos 50 LSP was not just for test from Su30.
If BDL is delivering now then how did all scenario user trials happen?
Nothing followed as per what you have claimed earlier. Actually IAF has put Astra on Nag/ Arjun's path of eternal trials but Things changed suddenly when Chinese caught our Armed forces ill prepared in Ladakh.

There has been no user trials or Changes since Sep-2019 still IAF inducted Astra now . Same could be done long ago.

Everybody is well aware of malaise of Armed forces towards local products but things has been changing from 2019 ( Especially after Balakot ) after Government came to know how ill prepared our Armed forces are. Otherwise we have never witnessed a siting IF chief coming to HAL just to inquire about LCH.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Hello, That '' V " is me.

What a ''Double Dholki'' you are. You are believing on IDRW for delivery of first batch of 50 Astra but not believing when it say IAF ordered 250 more missiles. why ? Believe ya.

BTW, IDRW is talking about same 248 missile which cleared by ministry in July

Please check your few of arbitrary replies and compare these with https://idrw.org/astra-mk1-bvraams-now-operational-with-iaf/#more-237827.

If BDL is delivering now then how did all scenario user trials happen?
Nothing followed as per what you have claimed earlier. Actually IAF has put Astra on Nag/ Arjun's path of eternal trials but Things changed suddenly when Chinese caught our Armed forces ill prepared in Ladakh.

There has been no user trials or Changes since Sep-2019 still IAF inducted Astra now . Same could be done long ago.

Everybody is well aware of malaise of Armed forces towards local products but things has been changing from 2019 ( Especially after Balakot ) after Government came to know how ill prepared our Armed forces are. Otherwise we have never witnessed a siting IF chief coming to HAL just to inquire about LCH.
Chill bro, don't ruin the mood now!
More good stuff will be dropped soon.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Any idea if production for the order for 250 odd has started yet or our babus still dilly dallying waiting for chinks to shoot down an IAF jet ?

SavageKing456

Country flag
Don't know but Indranil is quite reliable(looking 4 other sources)...I am also surprised when i saw d tweet let's see whr it goes but i m exited
Maybe we're already modifying mkis so that additional time isn't wasted after astra mk2 gets tested.

porky_kicker

Country flag
So Astra mk1 will soon meet a dead end. Instead of ordering more missiles IAF/IN will now press for quick development of Mk2.

IAF have already brought 1500-2000 AAM recently so until unless there is war IAF will not need to order a AAM for years to come.
Seriously ?

Astra mk1 has its own role defined by its capabilities eg range , flight envelope , NEZ , propulsion system etc

Astra MK2 has its own role defined by its capabilities eg range , flight envelope , NEZ , propulsion system etc

So will be Astra mk3

IAF will operate all 3 concurrently , because their capabilities are different and offer their own advantages and disadvantages. Each missile is suited for specific operational requirements as determined by IAF , including non operational factors like costs etc.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles