Astra BVRAAM

abhay rajput

Country flag
I Don't Know What IAF Said Or Not I just Defined The global Merit Of 4th generation fighter
And I don't Trust India media reporting Genuinely On Defense Related matters

Nevertheless Comparing Rafale With LCA itself Shows You Don't know Weight category of both Aircraft and there Roles
LCA is Light Weight Category fighter

While Rafale Is Medium To heavy weight Category

LCA Will replace Mig-21 to 23
Rafale Will replace Mig-27 ,SEPCAT Jaguar & Mirage-2000

As For BVR Its Already integrated Into LCA
Tejas, the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) successfully fired Derby Air-to-Air Beyond Visual Range Missile to expand the firing envelope as well as to demonstrate safe operation of the aircraft during missile plume ingestion into the aircraft engine under worst case scenarios. The missile was launched from LCATejas piloted by Wg Cdr Siddharth Singh on 27 April 2018 from the firing range off the Goa coast after exhaustive study of the missile separation characteristics and plume envelope. LCATejas has been designed & developed by DRDO’s autonomous society – Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).

Integration of Derby, a BVR class missile is one of the major objectives of Final Operational Clearance (FOC) of LCATejas.

The aircraft was tracked by two other Tejas aircraft in close formation to capture the firing event in the specially instrumented high speed cameras for detailed analysis and comparison with the simulation model for validation. The entire planning, practice sorties and final firing was carried out by ADA and it’s National Flight Test Centre (NFTC) officials Cmde JA Maolankar and GpCapt A Kabadwal, IAF, DG(AQA), HAL & INS HANSA.

Based on the successful integration and demonstration, Regional Centre for Military Airworthiness (RCMA), a unit of DRDO has cleared the series production aircraft of Squadron 45, to be equipped with Derby operational capability. LCATejas has successfully completed a series of captive flight trials to clear Derby for the full operational capability in the entire FOC envelope. In the past, Tejas has qualified for the armaments and missile release related trials.(Leh Bhai Dhyan sei Pad Lei Tu):doh::doh::facepalm::facepalm:

https://pib.gov.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=178996

Also LCA MK1 Got FOC Last Year Itself

https://www.airforce-technology.com/news/indias-lca-tejas-operational-clearance/
Yeah yeah.. believe what you want to be... Reality is often more disappointing.. ! I know very well no. 45 squadron Don't have BVR as of now.. software updates have not completed yet.. tested doesn't means operational.. or bhai mujhe ye bhi bta de kitne FOC deliver huye ha..! Don't live in la la la land .. world doesn't fly Tejas , IAF does and it knows very well in which generation of Tejas is, until BVR operational it will be 3.5 , after BVR operational it will be 4th generation , which haven't happen till last week's ..
And I haven't compare Rafale and Tejas .. I have compared m2kupgraded ones and Tejas.. and believe me Tejas will be sitting duck in front of m2k upgraded ones because they have got the best ew system in IAF fleet and remember that it's inbuilt..

WARREN SS

Country flag
Yeah yeah.. believe what you want to be... Reality is often more disappointing.. ! I know very well no. 45 squadron Don't have BVR as of now.. software updates have not completed yet.. tested doesn't means operational.. or bhai mujhe ye bhi bta de kitne FOC deliver huye ha..! Don't live in la la la land .. world doesn't fly Tejas , IAF does and it knows very well in which generation of Tejas is, until BVR operational it will be 3.5 , after BVR operational it will be 4th generation , which haven't happen till last week's ..
And I haven't compare Rafale and Tejas .. I have compared m2kupgraded ones and Tejas.. and believe me Tejas will be sitting duck in front of m2k upgraded ones because they have got the best ew system in IAF fleet and remember that it's inbuilt..
Abe pad toh pehle kya post hai

It's ministry of defence

It's
Clearly mentioned Squadron 45
Cleared derby integration

abhay rajput

Country flag

It's ministry of defence

It's
No it's not ministry of defence its PIB.. it's press Information bureau or something like that.. or ek or baat BVR capability will be on Tejas FOC which hasn't been delivered yet.. its like saying one Tejas can land at carrier other Tejas can do the same without upgrades... ! Operational meaning is going over your head I guess... They are upgrading the softwares ..
And here is another shock for you Tejas Don't have guns too .. now please don't say guns are also operational..

Last edited:

abhay rajput

Country flag

It's ministry of defence

It's
Moreover according to your analogy A2A refuelling has been done on Tejas . So all Tejas can do the same . There is a huge difference between IOC AND FOC both at the hardware and software level and it took hal years to achieve that.. lastly Tejas FOC will have BVR , A2A refuelling, quick turnaround, gun, among other things.. presently none of them is operational because IAF haven't gotten FOC Tejas yet.. derby integration has been done but making it operational on IOC Tejas is taking time.
I tend to believe IAF ..
You believe what you want to . I am not here to convince anyone.

WARREN SS

Country flag
Moreover according to your analogy A2A refuelling has been done on Tejas . So all Tejas can do the same . There is a huge difference between IOC AND FOC both at the hardware and software level and it took hal years to achieve that.. lastly Tejas FOC will have BVR , A2A refuelling, quick turnaround, gun, among other things.. presently none of them is operational because IAF haven't gotten FOC Tejas yet.. derby integration has been done but making it operational on IOC Tejas is taking time.
I tend to believe IAF ..
You believe what you want to . I am not here to convince anyone.
Are bhai certification Issued in Feb last year
Ab tujhe
Block words likh me du tujhe
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ion-for-mark-i-tejas/article26323511.ece/amp/

Are dumb or what
@LETHALFORCE why you let bots on the forum

Guy is Spewing BS without facts
And self claims

abhay rajput

Country flag
Last edited:

WARREN SS

Country flag
No it's not ministry of defence its PIB.. it's press Information bureau or something like that.. or ek or baat BVR capability will be on Tejas FOC which hasn't been delivered yet.. its like saying one Tejas can land at carrier other Tejas can do the same without upgrades... ! Operational meaning is going over your head I guess... They are upgrading the softwares ..

PIB is official govt Press handle of Government of India :megusta::megusta:

"Regional Centre for Military Airworthiness (RCMA), a unit of DRDO has cleared the series production aircraft of Squadron 45, to be equipped with Derby operational capability":frusty::frusty::frusty:

Over My head Dud I am Account officer
in CGDA

I Audit All DSPU's

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
Re-Engineered Meteor BVRAAM On The Works For IAF

If any new-generation BVRAAM is to become a ‘game-changer’, then it has to have vastly improved kinematic capability compared with that of existing BVRAAMs. This requires substantial increases in two key parameters: ‘F-Pole’, i.e. the distance between the BVRAAM-launching MRCA and its target when the BVRAAM hits; and a ‘no-escape zone’, the range within which the BVRAAM can be fired and the target, no matter how it manoeuvres, cannot escape. When an existing BVRAAM the like AIM-120D AMRAAM, MICA or R-77/RVV-AE is fired at a target, it delivers the same amount of thrust over a certain period regardless of the tactical scenario. If the target can be reached without the rocket motor burning out, or shortly after it does so, the BVRAAM will have a high-energy state during its terminal attack phase. This will allow it to manoeuvre very hard, easily countering a targeted combat aircraft trying to evade the incoming BVRAAM. If the target is farther away, the BVRAAM will usually climb to a high altitude while its rocket motor is burning and then coast on its built-up energy with gravity on its side until it reaches the terminal phase of its flight (its final attack run. If the target is not too far away, and the BVRAAM is still above it, it will dive down on the target in an attempt to maximize its ability to make hard manoeuvres. The longer the shot, the less energy the BVRAAM will have for its critical terminal phase of flight.

Whereas the AMRAAM’s rocket motor burns for seconds, then the missile coasts, a Meteor-type BVRAAM is under ramjet thrust for its complete flight. Consequently, the latter’s average velocity is higher and the Meteor arrives with the energy to out-manoeuvre its target. Thus, both the F-Pole and the no-escape zone are increased. Instead of burning off all its fuel right after launch it can throttle its engine back during cruise, thus saving fuel. As it approaches its target it can throttle up, eventually making its terminal attack while at its highest possible energy state, around Mach 4.5, even when fired over long ranges. Not only does this mean the Meteor will have more energy to manoeuvre during the endgame of the engagement, but this capability also drastically increases the size of the no-escape zone. Basically, the Meteor has a far greater ability to chase and catch enemy combat aircraft over long ranges.

The Meteor’s data-link also has two-way capability, so the pilot could re-target the BVRAAM while it is already on its way. The pilot can also see the Meteor’s fuel-burn rate, kinematic energy and tracking state in real-time. This is essential for making quick decisions as to whether or not to fire another BVRAAM at the target or to run away if it is properly tracking toward the target or has obtained its own lock. The Meteor will be able to get those crucial mid-course guidance updates not just from the MRCA that fired it, but from “third party” sources as well. These can include other MRCAs, airborne early warning & control (AEW & C) platforms, and land and sea-based radar and electronic surveillance systems that provide their own situational awareness data to the missile-firing MRCA via data-link. Thus, with many assets contributing to a common tactical network “picture” via common data-link waveform and language, it provides information that anyone, including the Meteor-armed BVRAAM and the Meteor itself, can exploit.

While the above-mentioned reasons are precisely why the Indian Air Force (IAF) has ordered the MBDA-developed Meteor BVRAAMs for its 36 Rafale M-MRCAs, the operational requirement for such ramjet-powered BVRAAMs is for 2,500 units. And there’s another catch: the Meteor BVRAAM should be compatible with the mission avionics of all types of MRCAs that are in service with the IAF. This, in turn, represents a systems integration challenge, but there is a solution, nevertheless.

This involves, on one hand the installation of indigenous mission computer, stores management system and pylon interface avionics (all using the MIL-STD-1760 digital databus) on MRCAs like the Tejas Mk.1, Tejas Mk.1A, Super Su-30MKI and MiG-29UPG, while on the other the Meteor’s MBDA-developed Ku-band active seeker and a module of its rear-mounted two-way data-link can be replaced by corresponding India-supplied avionics and sensors that are used by the indigenously-developed Astra-1 BVRAAM. This way, the MMRs of Russia- and Israel-origin can seamlessly be integrated with the Meteor BVRAAM, since India will first have the avionics and sensors integrated with the Israel-origin and Russia-origin MMRs at the Israel-based and Russia-based avionics integration test-rigs and then supply them to MBDA for installation inside the Meteor airframes.

Engineering studies to this effect were jointly undertaken by MBDA and India’s Defence R & D Organisation (DRDO) back in 2016, when the DRDO began its own in-house conceptual studies on develop a solid-fuel ducted rocket (SFDR)-powered BVRAAM. It then emerged that a suitably-modified Meteor BVRAAM containing DRDO-developed avionics was indeed possible to both develop and integrate with the Russia-/Israel-supplied AESA-MMRs, while at the same time not violating the IPRs of the MMR-supplying foreign OEMs. In fact, MBDA is already well into such a re-engineering programme for Japan, with whom the UK first began holding exploratory talks in 2014 on the prospects of a Meteor BVRAAM fitted with an AESA-based Ka-band millimetric frequency seeker that was developed by Mitsubishi Electric Co (MELCO) in the previous decade for the indigenously developed AAM-4B (Type-99) BVRAAM. Later, in January 2017 the Cooperative Research Project on the Feasibility of a Joint New Air-to-Air Missile (JNAAM) commenced. If all goes well, then such a BVRAAM will begin flight-tests in 2023.

In India too, R & D work began in 2016 for developing AESA-based X-band and Ku-band active seekers for both the XR-SAM long-range surface-to-air missile and the SFDR-powered Astra-2 BVRAAM, with Hyderabad-based Astra Microwave already having built two types of such seekers (developed by the DRDL/RCI), with work now underway on developing their Ka-band successors that too will be compatible with the Meteor BVRAAM.

The Ka-band seeker with an active phased-array antenna (with 20km-range) and a secondary X-band passive channel will replace existing Ku-band seekers (with 6km-range) and provide higher resolution and countermeasures resistance. Such seekers can effortlessly work across multiple frequencies simultaneously, which makes them not only better at finding objects, but are also more difficult to detect. In addition, electronically steered antenna beams also offer other improvements: it is possible to perform an adaptive antenna beam-forming based on antenna sub-group transmit (Tx) and receive (Rx) channels or even adjusting all the single antenna transceiver elements. This put us into a position to use algorithms of super resolution in order to recognise and localise jammer sources while concurrently conducting target acquisition and tracking.

dude00720

Country flag
Facts lol ..
how many FOC Tejas have been delivered yet..? None you don't even have to count.
Believe what you want to .!
Who is this guy? He is obsessed with saying Indian defences are useless. Sounds like a false flag. Can someone check the IP?

Gshvar

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
So Tejas MK1 can be deployed for actual CAP for North West sector? Or something else needs to be cleared?

abhay rajput

Country flag
Who is this guy? He is obsessed with saying Indian defences are useless. Sounds like a false flag. Can someone check the IP?
No bro I know the reality because I work in DRDO. Unlike most people here who are far from reality.

abhay rajput

Country flag
So Tejas MK1 can be deployed for actual CAP for North West sector? Or something else needs to be cleared?
No it can't . Don't believe fanboys who don't have any inside knowledge .according to them Tejas will beat all other jets in IAF fleet yet IAF don't trust it to take even mig21 duty.. Tejas will be deployed when all IOC variants will be upgraded to FOC and when FOC Tejas will form a squadron, so probably a year

abhay rajput

Country flag
PIB is official govt Press handle of Government of India :megusta::megusta:

"Regional Centre for Military Airworthiness (RCMA), a unit of DRDO has cleared the series production aircraft of Squadron 45, to be equipped with Derby operational capability":frusty::frusty::frusty:

Over My head Dud I am Account officer
in CGDA

I Audit All DSPU's

And I work here - :)
That was 6 years ago...I don't know much about Tejas but my brother who works in IAF literally told me few weeks ago that Tejas can't fire BVR as of now. All the BVR testing has been done on lsp7 I think . Lastly unlike what you believe integration is a very complex process , so much so that it took a lot of time to integrate elta jammer with elta radar and indigenous ew. .. It's quite tricky .. and in 2019 march that means last year BVR integration was successfull .. but it will take some time to get that update to other IOC variants which formed the first Tejas squadron at sulur. And that will only happen when first FOC Tejas will be delivered this year . So the process of integration of BVR on IOC Tejas hasnt even started yet.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fi...-year-end-what-it-means-for-iaf/1495234/lite/ -out-new-lca-by-year-end-what-it-means-fread that very carefully..

Last edited:

B0seRaoMenonModi

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
And I work here - :)
That was 6 years ago...I don't know much about Tejas but my brother who works in IAF literally told me few weeks ago that Tejas can't fire BVR as of now. All the BVR testing has been done on lsp7 I think . Lastly unlike what you believe integration is a very complex process , so much so that it took a lot of time to integrate elta jammer with elta radar and indigenous ew. .. It's quite tricky .. and in 2019 march that means last year BVR integration was successfull .. but it will take some time to get that update to other IOC variants which formed the first Tejas squadron at sulur. And that will only happen when first FOC Tejas will be delivered this year . So the process of integration of BVR on IOC Tejas hasnt even started yet.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fi...-year-end-what-it-means-for-iaf/1495234/lite/ -out-new-lca-by-year-end-what-it-means-fread that very carefully..
my third cousin's wife's didii's hairdresser literally told me you're a waste of time

If drdo products as bad as you claim then you and your brother should be fired so competent people can work on defense projects

Flying Dagger

Country flag
my third cousin's wife's didii's hairdresser literally told me you're a waste of time

If drdo products as bad as you claim then you and your brother should be fired so competent people can work on defense projects
That's another topic which he didn't mentioned here.

@WARREN SS @abhay rajput

Don't take it on your ego guys, you both are unnecessary dragging it.

IOC Tejas doesn't have BVR capability integrated.

FOC will have it. The missiles include Derby and russian 73

Mk1a will have ASRAAM and Astra too integrated with it along with Derby ER.

Now both of you can take it as e.g. of half glass empty or half glass full.

Tejas IOC isn't battle ready but is in production now so onwards we will be having a fully bvr capable squadron with FOC Tejas rolling in.

It doesn't mean Tejas isn't 4th gen aircraft.. right now it only means that it is in initial production and goodies will be added on in batches.

abhay rajput

Country flag
That's another topic which he didn't mentioned here.

@WARREN SS @abhay rajput

Don't take it on your ego guys, you both are unnecessary dragging it.

IOC Tejas doesn't have BVR capability integrated.

FOC will have it. The missiles include Derby and russian 73

Mk1a will have ASRAAM and Astra too integrated with it along with Derby ER.

Now both of you can take it as e.g. of half glass empty or half glass full.

Tejas IOC isn't battle ready but is in production now so onwards we will be having a fully bvr capable squadron with FOC Tejas rolling in.

It doesn't mean Tejas isn't 4th gen aircraft.. right now it only means that it is in initial production and goodies will be added on in batches.
That's exactly what I was saying to Warren but he insists on that Tejas IOC can fire BVR too ...

abhay rajput

Country flag

I never said that I work on Tejas.. That would be way out of my league dude.. assumption is the mother of all failures. :D and I never said that DRDO products are bad. I only said that Tejas IOC aren't BVR capable as of now and only Tejas FOC can fire BVR missiles..

Last edited:

Gshvar

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
No it can't . Don't believe fanboys who don't have any inside knowledge .according to them Tejas will beat all other jets in IAF fleet yet IAF don't trust it to take even mig21 duty.. Tejas will be deployed when all IOC variants will be upgraded to FOC and when FOC Tejas will form a squadron, so probably a year
I know there is problem, IAF still doesn't trust LCA MK1, it has also never been tested in real situation, other wise the sqn which is deployed in south would have been deployed in Rajasthan or Punjab. Hope things get sorted out because we can't afford PAF giving us stale mate or equal resistance. We have to be more swift and deadly.

abhay rajput

Country flag
I know there is problem, IAF still doesn't trust LCA MK1, it has also never been tested in real situation, other wise the sqn which is deployed in south would have been deployed in Rajasthan or Punjab. Hope things get sorted out because we can't afford PAF giving us stale mate or equal resistance. We have to be more swift and deadly.
Don't worry .. I am not worried about PAF.. I am much more worried about our other neighbour .. Tejas mk1a will be a beast with aesa radar and will be better than Chinese j10 latest models which have aesa radar.. let's just hope that its first flight doesn't get delayed anymore..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles