Astra BVRAAM

Flame Thrower

I prefer the forum to exchange interesting ideas and exchange latest developments in the field. It’s such a drain on my time and energy to argue with morons.

If your ignorance makes u happy then dwell in that muck!!

AWACS are not used for cruise missile detection!??! LOL!!!
When fighter jets fly ‘nap of the earth’ AWACS will detect them, but will let go of cruise missiles?? Why? Because they didn’t buy the upgrade package?? :)))))
True.....

I never thought that.....

You know more that scientists who developed them and the generals who used them in war. Try talking to our generals, after listening to your idea they might even make you joint chief of command as well.

Flame Thrower

I prefer the forum to exchange interesting ideas and exchange latest developments in the field. It’s such a drain on my time and energy to argue with morons.

If your ignorance makes u happy then dwell in that muck!!

AWACS are not used for cruise missile detection!??! LOL!!!
When fighter jets fly ‘nap of the earth’ AWACS will detect them, but will let go of cruise missiles?? Why? Because they didn’t buy the upgrade package?? :)))))
Buddy your entire argument is based on AWACS detecting the enemy missiles.

1. We will never know when they'll be launched in the first place.

2. We don't Know what route they'll travel.

3. Enemy knows that we have our AWACS stationed so why he'll launch in the first place. He might wait till AWACS leaves the threat zone.

4. Coming to detecting fighters on NAP of the earth, even if you detect enemy cruise missiles on the nap of the earth, you wouldn't be able to engage them with fighters using missiels, AWACS might warn SAMs(a head of time) in the area about enemy cruise missiles.

5. As far as I remember, Cruise missiles were used many times, recently America diclared that it will attack soon. Russia didn't tried to detect or shoot them using their air assets...ever thought why!!??

It's good that ypuyou asking, but you're only thinking in one direction. This is because of lack of knowledge, which can only be gained through lots of reading and planning scenarios and compare them to the existing ones. I am doing this seriously since 3-4 yrs and I still consider myself as beginner.

When I first started I thought in the similar way, just like you focusing on one point, not looking at other possibilities. Put your igo aside and ask what are the chances of cruise missile and AWACS asset located in the same threat!?it didn't happened once. Why!? What is the cost incurred for allocating AWACS just to locate incoming cruise missiles!?

Last edited:

Enquirer

Buddy your entire argument is based on AWACS detecting the enemy missiles.

3. Enemy knows that we have our AWACS stationed so why he'll launch in the first place. He might wait till AWACS leaves the threat zone.

4. Coming to detecting fighters on NAP of the earth, even if you detect enemy cruise missiles on the nap of the earth, you wouldn't be able to engage them with fighters using missiels, AWACS might warn SAMs(a head of time) in the area about enemy cruise missiles.

5. As far as I remember, Cruise missiles were used many times, recently America diclared that it will attack soon. Russia didn't tried to detect or shoot them using their air assets...ever thought why!!??

It's good that ypuyou asking, but you're only thinking in one direction. This is because of lack of knowledge, which can only be gained through lots of reading and planning scenarios and compare them to the existing ones. I am doing this seriously since 3-4 yrs and I still consider myself as beginner.

When I first started I thought in the similar way, just like you focusing on one point, not looking at other possibilities. Put your igo aside and ask what are the chances of cruise missile and AWACS asset located in the same threat!?it didn't happened once. Why!? What is the cost incurred for allocating AWACS just to locate incoming cruise missiles!?
Dude! Can you even read? I already answered the questions you're raising again! No wonder that you can't assimilate/process data that you might have read elsewhere too.

I am not interested in arguing further, because the more clarifications/explanations I provide the more inane your questions become.

Adios!

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

1 and 2 : it's all the interest of an AWACS like plane or "zeppelin"
3 : persistence ! you need several awacs + tanker so as to watch 24h/24h
4 : a cruise missile has a RCS, even if it's low, so a radar guided missile, fired closely can track it. a cruise missile use an engine. an engine emit heat, even low, so a IR head can track it (maybe not at 30km, but at 5km ?)
5 : Russia said "we decided not to use our SAM". OK. Or it is true, or they failed to detect the missile because flying low, using hill and so one to hide...

Immanuel

Country flag
Cruise missiles regardless of speed are always a serious threat, the only real way to detect them is to have low level detection radars in tight patterns over a wide area specially covering mountains & valleys + plus long range aerostats. Along such areas, having Akash, Syper ADS, Buk, Pantsir, Sosna style SAMs would allow for defending against a good number of them.This should allow for a good 24/7 coverage but they can always slip through regardless of how well networked the defenses are.

Reactions: Kay

Flame Thrower

1 and 2 : it's all the interest of an AWACS like plane or "zeppelin"
3 : persistence ! you need several awacs + tanker so as to watch 24h/24h
4 : a cruise missile has a RCS, even if it's low, so a radar guided missile, fired closely can track it. a cruise missile use an engine. an engine emit heat, even low, so a IR head can track it (maybe not at 30km, but at 5km ?)
5 : Russia said "we decided not to use our SAM". OK. Or it is true, or they failed to detect the missile because flying low, using hill and so one to hide...
My problem with 4 is when cruise missile flying at tree top hights....
At altitudes it is possible to take on cruise missiles. At tree top altitudes, nothing works. Point defenses are specially designed for this very threat.

Even after having 24*7 AWACS or Zeplin or Aerostat cover, there is no 100% gurantee. Cruise missiles can use terrain to their advantage. We always forget about the procurement costs of AWACS or Zeplin or Aerostat to cover our borders. Enemy doesn't need to destroy our country, we will do it all by ourselves by bankrupting.

@Immanuel what you said is correct, the new kid on the block wants fighters jets to go chase cruise missiles and destroy them using air to air missiles. That's where there real fun started.

no smoking

Country flag
My problem with 4 is when cruise missile flying at tree top hights....
At altitudes it is possible to take on cruise missiles. At tree top altitudes, nothing works. Point defenses are specially designed for this very threat.
There plenty of weapons can take down a cruise missile at "Tree top altitudes", such as S-300PMU2, the minimum engagement altitude is 5m.

Flame Thrower

There plenty of weapons can take down a cruise missile at "Tree top altitudes", such as S-300PMU2, the minimum engagement altitude is 5m.
Agreed...cost of S-300PMU2 is way higher than any point defense.

With proper guidance BuK is also capable....

The problem is we forget the cost....

Cost of Pantsir Missiles is cheaper than BuK or S-300 PMU2 Missile, is it not!!

No of weapon systems purchased and saturation point of the weapon systems also come into picture

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
At altitudes it is possible to take on cruise missiles. At tree top altitudes, nothing works.
IR or radar tracking works even on very smal altitude and small object . It only reduce the range (a maritime patrol plane can detect a snorkel or periscope with its radar, but at a far less range than a tanker for exemple).

And any modern fighter (since 1990 +/-) has a look down shoot down capacity.

Flame Thrower

IR or radar tracking works even on very smal altitude and small object . It only reduce the range (a maritime patrol plane can detect a snorkel or periscope with its radar, but at a far less range than a tanker for exemple).

And any modern fighter (since 1990 +/-) has a look down shoot down capacity.
Sea is different from land.

The radar clutter is very high on land.

There is hell lot of difference between detecting, tracking, lock on and finally hit. I bet you know this.

During the whole process if the Missiles uses terrain to it's advantage i.e dives into valley or goes around the mountains, then chances of hit goes even lower.

Let's talk about this when a fighter actually shoots down a cruise missiles....

Enquirer

ignore that moron he compares our lch with us drone lool
Both you illiterate idiots can't understand anything to save your own lives!!
You two nincompoops belong to Pakistan, where those morons similarly can't tell the difference between fact & fiction! And further perpetuate ill conceived notions on everything!!
The real tragedy is that you numskulls mislead the truly curious folks who're genuinely interested in the subject!

Saichand K

Country flag
Both you illiterate idiots can't understand anything to save your own lives!!
You two nincompoops belong to Pakistan, where those morons similarly can't tell the difference between fact & fiction! And further perpetuate ill conceived notions on everything!!
The real tragedy is that you numskulls mislead the truly curious folks who're genuinely interested in the subject!
Okay he started it in this thread too...

Enquirer

Okay he started it in this thread too...
You must be another bitch of ersakthivel ganging up on me!! Digging up a 5 month old post to start a fight with false insinuations, stalking & trolling someone on multiple threads even when being ignored are all hallmarks of ersakthivel!!
Did your parents not teach you the meaning of 'started'? Or is lying a family virtue??
Aren't you ashamed to be lying so brazenly, when it's so obvious to all as to who 'started' it here??

@Mods
This asshole Saichand has been stalking me and trolling me on various threads with false accusations and attempting character assassination! I've been ignoring him but the fucking asshole doesn't stop!!

Last edited:

Prashant12

Country flag
Successful Flight Test of Astra BVR Air-to-Air Missile

Astra, the indigenously developed Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM), was successfully test fired by the Indian Air Force from Su-30 aircraft, today from Air Force Station, Kalaikunda. The missile successfully engaged a manoeuvring target with high precision meeting the mission objectives. In the series of trials held to date, Astra has been launched in the complete Su-30 flight envelope. The flight test assumes significance as it was part of the series of final pre-induction trials. Astra is the best in class weapon system and has undergone more than twenty developmental trials.

Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman lauded the efforts of Indian Air Force, DRDO and associated team members involved in the mission and said India has attained a high level of capability in the indigenous design and development of advanced weapon systems.

http://www.pibregional.nic.in/PressReleaseIframePage.aspx?PRID=1547472#.W6uEDyr3g74.twitter

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles