Armored Personnel Carriers & Infantry Fighting Vehicles

Damian

M163 Vulcan Air Defense System

M163 Vulcan Air Defense System

The M-163 Vulcan series was replaced in 1993 by the Air Defense Artillery Target System (ADATS) mounted on an M-2 Bradley and the Avenger, a HMMWV with Stinger surface to air missile system.

ADATS Short Range Air Defence System - Army Technology

Phalanx is shipboard system.

Raytheon Company: Phalanx Close-In Weapon System (CIWS)

[Post is incomplete, need to revisit.]
AFAIK ADATS was never fielded by the US.Army (despite being rather successfull design), I think that Canadians fielded a bit less capable version of ADATS (US version besides missiles had also automatic cannon for short range engagements against aerial and ground targets).

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
AFAIK ADATS was never fielded by the US.Army (despite being rather successfull design), I think that Canadians fielded a bit less capable version of ADATS (US version besides missiles had also automatic cannon for short range engagements against aerial and ground targets).
Link relevant to your comment.

Short Range Air Defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Canada

The Canadian Forces Land Force Command use the Air Defense Anti-Tank System [1] (ADATS) based on the M113A2. The ADATS is considered to be the most successful SHORAD system in the world with 85% or better engagement success rate[citation needed] . ADATS is a completely self-contained system in an unmanned turret with FLIR (Forward-Looking Infrared) and TV sensors, laser rangefinder and designator, a search radar. Composed of eight missiles Air Defense Anti-Tank System, the ADATS can find and hit multi-treats in few second.

United States

In the United States Army, SHORAD teams are attached as organic air defense assets at the battalion or brigade level. US SHORAD teams are based around the FIM-92 Stinger missile and its mounted platforms, the M1097 Avenger and M6 Linebacker. Airborne and Air Assault units primarily employ MANPADS teams for SHORAD; armored units rely on the Linebacker and Bradley Stinger Fighting Vehicle.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Strales ammunition are guided by a radio-frequency (RF) beam from the radar Ka-band antenna (that also provides target tracking) and have a pre-fragmented warhead with a microwave programmable multifunction fuze... for high subsonic anti-ship/cruise missiles OTO Melara give a 100% kill rate with 3 shots.

The gun can shot 80 rounds/minute and has 12 (selectable) ready to fire rounds in a drum, automatically reloaded from a magazine in the turret with other 24 rounds.

The point is that such high exactness of hit is only possible by a subsonic cruise missiles (Tomahawk or H-55 (As-15)) and only on an aquatic surface. When they are above the ground, because of their low height and the ability to manoeuvre, I doubt that such a gun, mounted on the "armour" can knock it and this despite the fact that these missiles not capable throw out a radiotrap. Radar can detect them but most likely will not be able direct to point on purpose because of the very small RCS. Here are more effective missile air DEFENCE or gun, are more effective possessing the high density of fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

syncro

Country flag
The fin-stabilized, subcaliber DART round is guided by a line-of-sight Ka-band radio beam. The beam has four lobes and the projectile automatically seeks the center where the four lobes meet. The beam can also act as a datalink to reset/program the multifunction fuze in flight and projectile has demonstrated its ability to pull 40 g turns, enough to turn inside a 10 g-capable missile or other moving targets.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Himself said in the previous post. He corrected, not controlled like a missile. If to leave aside that it is very expensive and not economically feasible to projectiles caliber of less than 100 mm, it can not tolerate high loads when cornering and manoeuvre with the large corners of attacks. Theoretically - it looks beautiful: to hit the air with the purpose from the first three shots, but not feasibly for ground air DEFENCE. All countries in the world, took the upper limit of the sky for missiles, and the lower limit was left for hahigh-velocity artillery, caliber 30-40 mm. Such systems can be put on amphibious ships, but in can't sistem air DEFENCE, but as artillery systems for support of marines a fire, such exactness will be effective.

Damian

Well it can be ugly as far as it does the job.

Seems that this is GDLS proposal for AMPV replacement for M113.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Tracked Stryker? We go full circle and come back to M113.:rolleyes:

Damian

I don't know, compared to American MRAP's it does not look very solid.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
I don't know, compared to American MRAP's it does not look very solid.
I in general not supporter MRAP - because it is a machine a purely for police operations. In this case, I simply showed a novelty, made "‹"‹to order for the Russian Interior Ministry.

Damian

Well, yes, altough as I see, it looks more fragile than MRAP's used by US Army in Iraq, especially this box for dismounts at the back, if there are no proper seats there, I worry that guys there can suffer serious injuries or even die.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Well, yes, altough as I see, it looks more fragile than MRAP's used by US Army in Iraq, especially this box for dismounts at the back, if there are no proper seats there, I worry that guys there can suffer serious injuries or even die.
In Russia, too, the big sorrowful experience, undermining their cars on a land- mines. I do not think that the MRAP made "‹"‹just for exhibitions.

Damian

It can be only technology demonstrator, the final product might look more solid in the end.

hest

Detailed model of new Russian IFV on medium universal plattform, Kurganets-25, tracked and with swim capability and Bumerang

Here is shown Kurganets in recon version

Kurganets with BMP-3 module, turret is unmanned and ammunition is isolated from crew compartment, but can be optionally manned in case of need. There are protection modules at the sides.

Interior configuration (of troop carrier, BTR version)

Engine compartment is placed at front serving as additional protection and improving troop dismount, from the rear.

Bumerang configuration

More interesting, vehicle "Arktika" designed for army operations in Artic conditions

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles