Arjun vs T90 MBT

p2prada

An intention to debate will always be more appreciated than an intention to provoke by resorting to name calling.

Next time you write something, keep yourself open to the possibility that someone will counter it. Our ex-chief's comments (whom you claim to believe) on indigenization is very important in a Arjun-vs-T-90 thread, but I take it you need a bit of help to understand this.
Pmaitra, there is a huge difference in the types of comments chiefs make depending on the situation.

VKS's comment on the T-90 was an operational one.

His comment on indigenization is nationalistic hubris. It is only a wish. Definitely not attainable in his lifetime no matter what anybody says.

T-90 as a MBT is FACT, written in stone. Indigenization is a wish. He is merely hoping it. And all kids get excited when a role model makes comments that are nationalistic or patriotic. Any kid will know indigenization is good, but it shouldn't come at the cost of operational preparedness. This is also a fact.

I had already stated it, Arjun is far from indigenous. Only the armor, gun, turret and hull is indigenous, not the whole tank. What counts is what you can "really" make in the country regardless of whether it is indigenous or not because that is what counts in the operational sense.

Swordfish radar is not one bit indigenous, but we make the entire system in India. That makes it an operationally viable system. Arjun's electronics and engines are made outside the country and are merely installed in the tank. You tell me which of these is sanction prone, Swordfish or Arjun's electronics.

The Chinese have completely indigenized the process of making Flankers. Completely sanction proof to the point where it has evolved into two distinct Flankers in the form of J-15 and J-16. They don't give two hoots that it came from Russia as long as they can manufacture the entire aircraft in house. That's the real meaning of sanction-proof.

Building the hull in the country and importing the engine is as good as an import, no matter what anybody says. Arjun's engine is not sanction-proof. As a matter of fact, the 1998 nuke tests sanctioned the engine. Heck, CVRDE did not have engines for military tests. They had to delay the development of a trawl to Mk2 just because engines seized during live tests in 1999. If they did not have engines, how is that thing even a tank. It took them years just to access German engines again. Heck, they did not even have a backup plan against sanctions.

Do you realize that had the Americans not withdrawn the sanctions in 2003, both LCA and Arjun would have been canceled years ago?

Nobody, not the army, navy or air force, cares for where the product is "developed" as long as it can be "manufactured" inside the country. Please understand the difference between the two and why the forces always insist on ToT. That's why we have so many JVs today as compared to "indigenous" development projects. Russia tops the list with over 200 such projects, and this is just 4 year old news. The number may have doubled or tripled with the agreement on FGFA. I suppose Israel is next followed by France. Majority of these projects are under DRDO by name only, with most of the work being done in other countries. DRDO will simply label their name on it and contract it to Indian manufacturers in the future. DRDO is running these projects under the name of "integrator." That's another word for screw driver technology.

pmaitra

Pmaitra, there is a huge difference in the types of comments chiefs make depending on the situation.

His comment on indigenization is nationalistic hubris. It is only a wish. Definitely not attainable in his lifetime no matter what anybody says.

T-90 as a MBT is FACT, written in stone. Indigenization is a wish. He is merely hoping it. And all kids get excited when a role model makes comments that are nationalistic or patriotic. Any kid will know indigenization is good, but it shouldn't come at the cost of operational preparedness. This is also a fact.

I had already stated it, Arjun is far from indigenous. Only the armor, gun, turret and hull is indigenous, not the whole tank. What counts is what you can "really" make in the country regardless of whether it is indigenous or not because that is what counts in the operational sense.

Swordfish radar is not one bit indigenous, but we make the entire system in India. That makes it an operationally viable system. Arjun's electronics and engines are made outside the country and are merely installed in the tank. You tell me which of these is sanction prone, Swordfish or Arjun's electronics.

The Chinese have completely indigenized the process of making Flankers. Completely sanction proof to the point where it has evolved into two distinct Flankers in the form of J-15 and J-16. They don't give two hoots that it came from Russia as long as they can manufacture the entire aircraft in house. That's the real meaning of sanction-proof.

Building the hull in the country and importing the engine is as good as an import, no matter what anybody says. Arjun's engine is not sanction-proof. As a matter of fact, the 1998 nuke tests sanctioned the engine. Heck, CVRDE did not have engines for military tests. They had to delay the development of a trawl to Mk2 just because engines seized during live tests in 1999. If they did not have engines, how is that thing even a tank. It took them years just to access German engines again. Heck, they did not even have a backup plan against sanctions.

Do you realize that had the Americans not withdrawn the sanctions in 2003, both LCA and Arjun would have been canceled years ago?

Nobody, not the army, navy or air force, cares for where the product is "developed" as long as it can be "manufactured" inside the country. Please understand the difference between the two and why the forces always insist on ToT. That's why we have so many JVs today as compared to "indigenous" development projects. Russia tops the list with over 200 such projects, and this is just 4 year old news. The number may have doubled or tripled with the agreement on FGFA. I suppose Israel is next followed by France. Majority of these projects are under DRDO by name only, with most of the work being done in other countries. DRDO will simply label their name on it and contract it to Indian manufacturers in the future. DRDO is running these projects under the name of "integrator." That's another word for screw driver technology.

If you see my comment, it is asking a simple question, and the question is, what is "obvious" to @Austin. He has not answered that, and neither have you in your extremely large response.

Now, I have a few questions for you:
  • Did I question T-90 being the MBT of India from the operational point of view?
  • Did I say that indigenization should come at the cost of operational preparedness?
  • Did I say every component of Arjun is indigenous?

If you have not been able to say yes to any of these, then you are totally off the mark, and are not responding to what I actually said, but you are responding to what you are imagining that I have said or implied, something like Prince Hamlet seeing an apparition. If I have to say something, I will say it bluntly. If I haven't said it, I haven't said it. So, please do not strain yourself by begin too imaginative.

Now, coming back to indigenization, we have to make a start someday. I am not suggesting scrap those T-90s. I am saying continue to induct Arjuns, because Avadi is the only facility we have that can do it. We have seen how eager our private sector is when it comes to such big ticket hardware (check the aircraft thread). We cannot stall their progress just because Arjun was "late," when similar accusation of being "late" can be leveled on foreign products as well. Moreover, we often do not get full ToT when we get foreign products, or are saddled with conditions of "peaceful purposes," like denying the usage of hardpoints on the Pilatus, while at the same time pretending to be a defence hardware manufacturer. (I know you will disagree on the hardpoints, but we will not settle that here.) With such kinds of deals, when we have pre-conditions, we will never be able to obtain full operational preparedness, the thing that you hold so important; well, so do I.

PRC has done a great job in ensuring they have complete capability to make the entire plane in house, with no need for imported components. We are not at the position yet, and we will never be, unless we keep the indigenous ball rolling.

You said we will not be able to see complete indigenization in VKS's lifetime. I agree. Do you know why? Because we never allow our homegrown products the kind of patronization that they deserve.

Even the Antonov-32 that were refurbished by Ukraine were done under the condition that they will not be used for offensive purposes. Can you please tell me how that helps in our operational preparedness? These are the same planes we have used as bombers.

No, I do not realize that.

On the contrary, I think India, being denied any kind of military import opportunities from US and its lackeys, would have gotten some domestic source or the Russians to help out with Arjun or LCA. It might have been a different machine than it is today, but would they have been cancelled? I don't think so.

Nobody, not the army, navy or air force, cares for where the product is "developed" as long as it can be "manufactured" inside the country.
So what you are saying, boils down to one thing - the army is not interested in assisting India in becoming self reliant, and they would rather continue to import, even under dubious pre-conditions. Do you realize why people accuse sections of the army of taking bribes?

P2P, most of the data you have provided are correct, but your conclusions are what I do not agree with.

I don't think the current choices of the Army will help in India's operational preparedness. I will reserve my comments on the Air Force and Navy. I have already given one example of how the MiG-29 was inducted pre-maturely. I think there is a major difference between how other countries function and how India functions. In other countries, the government and the military, act as stakeholders for domestic defense production, while in India, the military plays the role of finger pointing and blame game.

Last edited by a moderator:

bose

Country flag
To put it in a simple language Govt have to take a tough call here and bell the cat... It need to come down heavily on the import loving Army immediately coupled with close monitoring & well defined accountability on DRDO's delivery...

pmaitra

To put it in a simple language Govt have to take a tough call here and bell the cat... It need to come down heavily on the import loving Army immediately coupled with close monitoring & well defined accountability on DRDO's delivery...
Government owned enterprises are not above criticism. Take the NAL Saras for example. It should not have taken them so long to make such a basic aircraft.

On the other hand, Arjun, as it stands now qualitatively, must be inducted in larger numbers. If we don't, we are not rewarding a good piece of work, and that sets a bad precedence.

There is also a bigger picture to it. The Indian Rupee has further weakened to close to Rs. 58 = $1. This might help our IT companies, but will further stymie out arms imports. We need to get out of this vicious cycle of importing and need to start making military hardware at home, as much as possible, and import only those components that we just cannot make at home.

We should not lose focus of the big picture. We need a strong military and a strong economy as well. With a weak economy, even if we have the best imported hardware, we will be sitting ducks if there is a PLA invasion.

I am sorry to say that the Indian Army has been on a course that is having a devastating effect on the Indian economy.

We are totally in the wrong course.

bose

Country flag
Government owned enterprises are not above criticism. Take the NAL Saras for example. It should not have taken them so long to make such a basic aircraft.

On the other hand, Arjun, as it stands now qualitatively, must be inducted in larger numbers. If we don't, we are not rewarding a good piece of work, and that sets a bad precedence.

There is also a bigger picture to it. The Indian Rupee has further weakened to close to Rs. 58 = $1. This might help our IT companies, but will further stymie out arms imports. We need to get out of this vicious cycle of importing and need to start making military hardware at home, as much as possible, and import only those components that we just cannot make at home.

We should not lose focus of the big picture. We need a strong military and a strong economy as well. With a weak economy, even if we have the best imported hardware, we will be sitting ducks in there is a PLA invasion.

I am sorry to say that the Indian Army has been on a course that is having a devastating effect on the Indian economy.

We are totally in the wrong course.
Fully Agreed!!

We have to have a very strong monitoring mechanism to oversee the DRDO's development and progress similar to what the current DRDO's Chief Avinash Chander is doing now, we should have put in place such mechanism long time back... moreover the urgency the Govt now showing on LCA IOC / FOC should be followed on all other development initiatives"¦

The resistance to Arjun – II clearly shows that Army wants import to continue to earn dirty money and is not interested in promoting indigenous development in India"¦ Govt must intervene here and take the bull by its horn"¦

One more observations I have, the defense requirements from the end users are changed too late in the development lifecycle, this is doing more harm than most, we have seen that in case of LCA"¦ The end user requirement must project the requirement that is relevant 10 to 15 years down the line and not what the end user wants at that juncture"¦ We have seen how the requirement on Arjun was changed from 105 mm to 125 mm gun"¦

Govt have to come out with a well thought out plan to indigenous defense production in next 10 years timeframe"¦

pmaitra

One more observations I have, the defense requirements from the end users are changed too late in the development lifecycle, this is doing more harm than most, we have seen that in case of LCA"¦ The end user requirement must project the requirement that is relevant 10 to 15 years down the line and not what the end user wants at that juncture"¦ We have seen how the requirement on Arjun was changed from 105 mm to 125 mm gun"¦
Agree.

Two things.

First of all, when the army expects a tank with 4 member crew and with a size and armour comparable to the Abrams, and at the same time weigh 50 tons, you know what kind of people are involved in drafting the GSQR.

Secondly, and this will be a bit OT, there has been no new GSQR for a new assault rifle since the Kargil War of 1999. That should have been ready by early 2001, and the new gun would have been out of OFB by 2005, but that did not happen, and now, there is a sudden rush to get a new rifle.

bose

Country flag
Agree.

Two things.

First of all, when the army expects a tank with 4 member crew and with a size and armour comparable to the Abrams, and at the same time weigh 50 tons, you know what kind of people are involved in drafting the GSQR.
Any 4 man crew tanks will weigh around 60 tons with that size / volume and need for armor, then how come Army can come out now complaining that it is over weight?? DRDO / Govt have to freeze the requirement once the design step is crossed... any change later make the people who made the GSQR accountablle for all possible delay...

Secondly, and this will be a bit OT, there has been no new GSQR for a new assault rifle since the Kargil War of 1999. That should have been ready by early 2001, and the new gun would have been out of OFB by 2005, but that did not happen, and now, there is a sudden rush to get a new rifle.

We need a very strong monitoring mechanism in place to account for any delay in DRDO's delivery or OFB's production... Govt have to clearly define the line of responsibility and make the responsible person accountable and link it to theirs service record and promotions etc...

The key is a robust project management from DRDO / OFB and identification & mitigation of risks at right time... Secondly Govt must explore the possibility of joint private partnership in defense development & delivery with selected players like TATA, L&T and Mahindra...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Just to add some clarity in facts, before people get wrong interpretation >>

=============

Indigenous >>

Indigenous means not just one sentence but two :

1. Made in India = One can produce as many as one wish inside country at cheaper price
2. Design in India = one can do various major / minor modification as per need without permission or intervention by third party

Without one the definition of Indigenous is incomplete, Media use this wrong interpretation quite often..

=============

License Production & tot >>

License production >> is merely authorization from first party to second of copying with help of first at given numbers as per agreement.generally inferior to original as exact recipe are never shared in such deals.
( Eg : T-72M1 production where tank is made as per blue print given, without the deep knowledge about metallurgy and tech know how )

Tot >> Is the know how about new technology and process of making it.

=============

Adding to @pmaitra post, T-90 imported from Russia came without tot regarding gun, Armour, T-90 made in India comes with Arjun`s Armour even simple RHA Armour plating tech ( L&T ) and ARDE gun barrel technology with came from Arjun program mainly. this information is from MOD reports only ( Google ).
=============
Also i should add, Arguments targeted for provocation are common, One chose whats comfortable for itself and ignore the rest which does not suit, this is nothing new, And should be dealt with superior logic.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
An related article on defence indigenization and TOT

Going beyond 70:30

By Ajai Shukla
Business Standard, 11th June 13

Last week I attended my zillionth seminar on defence indigenization and, for the zillionth time, found myself lamenting the Indian strategic community's mistaken belief that we would be largely self-reliant in defence if our current indigenisation ratio of 30:70 could be improved to 70:30. In other words, India imports 70 per cent of its defence requirements, while building only 30 per cent in the country; reverse that ratio and things would be fine.

This notion is fallacious. It is like saying that the Electronic Warfare systems on a Royal Navy battleship are not British because most of the chips inside were made in Taiwan. The Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) is an Indian fighter, even though 90 per cent of it comes from abroad. What determines whether a fighter or tank is Indian or foreign is not how many foreign Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) sub-systems and systems there are inside. Rather, it is design expertise and the key components and systems that money cannot buy.

Another falsehood about indigenisation is the argument that allowing more foreign direct investment (FDI) in defence production would bring to India a rush of technology and manufacture from global defence giants. The current FDI cap of 26 per cent, it is argued, makes foreign investors reluctant to transfer high technology, and allows them only a meagre share of the profit. These are flawed notions. Governments, not companies, control defence technology and its release is based on strategic considerations more than profit. For western governments, with declining defence budgets, the need to safeguard high-tech defence manufacturing jobs at home overrides any argument their companies make about labour arbitrage in India.

To manage success in indigenisation, the complex defence planning landscape must be reduced to four key players. First there is the military, which must be made to understand that dependence on foreign weapons systems is at least as great a long-term strategic threat as is Pakistan or China. For too long, the services have held out the prospect of "imminent threat" to persuade the defence ministry (MoD) to import foreign weaponry instead of adequate Indian systems that are available. This was seen in the case of the Akash air defence missile; the Arjun tank, the Tejas fighter; and now an artillery gun. The MoD must muster the political courage to flatly say, "War is not imminent. Operational readiness today is less vital than building our own weaponry tomorrow."

Secondly, once the need to drive hard at indigenisation is internalised, stock must be taken of resources for pursuing this goal. The much-vilified Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO) is now an increasingly ambitious player, emboldened by success in developing technologies, systems and entire weapons platforms. But the DRDO cannot realistically be responsible for the whole gamut of development.

With an energised private sector waiting in the wings, the DRDO must focus on basic research and enabling technologies, while the public and private sector can translate those into systems and platforms. The new DRDO chief, Avinash Chander, says he is forging partnerships with academic institutions that would allow DRDO scientists, academics and research students to work in community, developing far-reaching technologies that would be "transplanted" onto DRDO laboratories. For DRDO die-hards, who developed entire platforms (and a credible missile arsenal) while defying international technology denial regimes, the suggestion to stay confined to a corner of the playfield will seem heresy. But the DRDO's long-term good lies in being canalized into carefully chosen avenues rather than in dissipating energy needlessly.

The third crucial component is the private sector, where top-drawer managerial and technological expertise waits to be allowed into the lucrative field of defence development and production. Holding them back is the question of finance: an MoD that has spent lakhs of crores on nine defence public sector undertakings (DPSUs) and forty Ordnance Factories (OFs) finds it politically risky to allocate government money to private sector defence companies who would compete with the DPSUs/OFs. The MoD would rather that the private sector paid its own way. Earlier this year, Defence Minister AK Antony called on private defence companies to abandon their "miserly attitude" towards R&D. There is something to Antony's uncharacteristic outburst; even big players like the Tata group and L&T have hesitated in investing in defence, waiting for the MoD to pick the tab.

Fourthly, the MoD must realize that the avoidance of decision-making cannot be its only policy in this landscape of competing interests. With the military demanding immediate overseas procurement; the DRDO looking to spread its wings; the DPSUs/OFs pushing the frontiers of cronyism; and the private sector waiting for a perfect policy environment before making a grand entrance, the policymakers cannot confine themselves to risk-free decisions aimed more at shielding officials from accusations of mala fide than at maximising self-reliance at minimum cost.

A multi-disciplinary body, led by the DRDO, must carry out a Technology Gap Assessment to identify a development roadmap for the future. Specific technology projects must be allocated to industry, with design houses being set up by groups that would share costs with the government. The MoD's fear of being seen as favouring a particular business house cannot block targeted involvement. Modalities must be evolved for funding design and development. Individual projects can be funded through the American DARPA model. And major design centres can be set up --- envision the Tata Design Centre, or the L&T Submarine Research Bureau --- for which companies submit proposals which will be evaluated by a DRDO-led decision-making body.

Broadsword: Going beyond 70:30

Austin

An intention to debate will always be more appreciated than an intention to provoke by resorting to name calling.

Next time you write something, keep yourself open to the possibility that someone will counter it. Our ex-chief's comments (whom you claim to believe) on indigenization is very important in a Arjun-vs-T-90 thread, but I take it you need a bit of help to understand this.
I am not sure what is there to debate when the Army Chief says T-90 is state of art tank and is designated MBT by IA and that IA is happy with it.

Obviously as the chief he is aware of how the tank is performing , he even commended Arjun for that matter in that interview.

So debate for the sake of it is pointless , neither you nor me have any data on T-90 performance in IA something thats real and substantial , so we have to take words of the chief has to be taken at face value , atleast I would.

Obviously at DFI there are pages of debate and people will stick to their own views on both sides cant help much.

pmaitra

I am not sure what is there to debate when the Army Chief says T-90 is state of art tank and is designated MBT by IA and that IA is happy with it.

Obviously as the chief he is aware of how the tank is performing , he even commended Arjun for that matter in that interview.

So debate for the sake of it is pointless , neither you nor me have any data on T-90 performance in IA something thats real and substantial , so we have to take words of the chief has to be taken at face value , atleast I would.
I asked once, and after that, I have repeated a few times. I don't mind doing it again. Please click the link below and the first paragraph should clarify what exactly I am trying to ask you.

Link: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-army/44522-arjun-vs-t90-mbt-99.html#post745101

The question was asked on: 11-06-13, 07:43 AM.
Now, it is: 13-06-13, 04:47 AM, and it is yet unanswered.

Austin

If you ask me why I think they are maligning the Army , It because they think maligning the T-90 would show the army in bad light , prove its incompetence and make it a case of corrupt deal . Else why would any one rehash the same TI story post 2010. Obviously the aim is to do some hit job on the Army and Ajai Shukla has been on forefront of it,

I am not here to refute VKS statement on T-90 , he is the chief he knows what he talks period.

bose

Country flag
If you ask me why I think they are maligning the Army , It because they think maligning the T-90 would show the army in bad light , prove its incompetence and make it a case of corrupt deal . Else why would any one rehash the same TI story post 2010. Obviously the aim is to do some hit job on the Army and Ajai Shukla has been on forefront of it,

I am not here to refute VKS statement on T-90 , he is the chief he knows what he talks period.
I have a query here... Why IA find it so difficult to induct Arjun [Arjun II] as it is with whatever short commings it may have... while the same IA also went through indiction of T-90A with known issues as discussed earlier ??

pmaitra

Thank you. Finally, an objective response. Appreciated.

We are on the same page here. I agree that he knows what he talks about, and that is why I am stressing on indigenization, which was supported by this same VKS.

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
Just to add some clarity in facts, before people get wrong interpretation >>

=============

Indigenous >>

Indigenous means not just one sentence but two :

1. Made in India = One can produce as many as one wish inside country at cheaper price
2. Design in India = one can do various major / minor modification as per need without permission or intervention by third party

Without one the definition of Indigenous is incomplete, Media use this wrong interpretation quite often..

=============

License Production & tot >>

License production >> is merely authorization from first party to second of copying with help of first at given numbers as per agreement.generally inferior to original as exact recipe are never shared in such deals.
( Eg : T-72M1 production where tank is made as per blue print given, without the deep knowledge about metallurgy and tech know how )

Tot >> Is the know how about new technology and process of making it.

=============

Adding to @pmaitra post, T-90 imported from Russia came without tot regarding gun, Armour, T-90 made in India comes with Arjun`s Armour even simple RHA Armour plating tech ( L&T ) and ARDE gun barrel technology with came from Arjun program mainly. this information is from MOD reports only ( Google ).
=============
Also i should add, Arguments targeted for provocation are common, One chose whats comfortable for itself and ignore the rest which does not suit, this is nothing new, And should be dealt with superior logic.
Sirji
Good Sharing ,Thank you.

TrueSpirit

Excellent post with "grown-up" perspective. :thumb:

sayareakd

Country flag

I think it is other way round, they have inducted T90S without trial and we still dont know if it fulfill GSQR or not, comparative trials were dont and If Arjun had failed it compare to T90S, you would have got info by paid media shouting at the top of their voice. What we didnt get in T90S is posted and discuss here, T90S ass was saved by DRDO for the tech used by OFB in Arjun tank. Dont know why we have paid such a huge sum for TOT which was not TOT in real sense.

Still ammo are to imported from Russia who are charging three times for same ammo.

TrueSpirit

If you see my comment, it is asking a simple question, and the question is, what is "obvious" to @Austin. He has not answered that, and neither have you in your extremely large response.

Now, I have a few questions for you:................................................

don't think the current choices of the Army will help in India's operational preparedness. I will reserve my comments on the Air Force and Navy. I have already given one example of how the MiG-29 was inducted pre-maturely. I think there is a major difference between how other countries function and how India functions. In other countries, the government and the military, act as stakeholders for domestic defense production, while in India, the military plays the role of finger pointing and blame game.
Superb riposte. No one can disagree with the fact that we need to start somewhere, someday, with something that is less than perfect initially, to achieve "real operational-preparedness".

For starters, let DRDO focus on the R&D, niche-tech & prototyping work while the indigenous private players roll out low-tech equipment in high volumes, with superb quality-control & lesser time/cost-overruns. Monopoly of foreign arms-dealers as well as Defence PSU's in defence manufacturing has to be broken, come what may. This is what all sane men like Dr.Saraswat have been clamoring all along.