Arjun vs T90 MBT

Austin

T-90 Bishma always had TI sights from day one in form of Catherine TI so the report is crap , T-72 never had TI sight but is being proposed for during its upgrade and so is for BMP-2 upgrade

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
T-90 Bishma always had TI sights from day one in form of Catherine TI so the report is crap , T-72 never had TI sight but is being proposed for during its upgrade and so is for BMP-2 upgrade
No one is saying they did not have it. They did not work and never tested throughly in indian desert conditions is what is being pointed out in numerous articles.

That is t he reason IA is floating a tender to fit AC in T-90 .

Austin

No the TI problem is resolved they faced it in initial days and that too on some TI in extereme temp of desert, if you check MOD press there is report of issue resolved with TI and all issues with T-90.

As far as AC goes , it is being planned fleet wise for all tanks , IA tank never had ac since they started using tanks.

There is this famous statement by some general made in 90's that it would be less manly for IA tank operators to have AC in tanks ....something similar now they realise having AC will improve effeciency of crew.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
No fleet wise Ac requirement came out of the blue, because of the heat stroke problem for the crew men in desert AC is being asked on T-90.

If it is a fleetwise requirement did IA gave AC as GSQR spec to ARJUN mk-1? Does ARJUN have any Ac? Did the army complain ARJUN had no AC,

In 2005 whatever the problem ARJUN had with electronics was also had by T-90, SO it is a lie to say the ARJUN was not ready in 2005 and that's why IA bought T-90,

Infact both were at the same condition as far as the indian desert battlefield conditions, but T-90 had an extra requirement of Ac to sustain operations in desert, which ARJUN does not have till this date.

Austin

AC requirement is to improve crew effeciency of all the current tank including T-72 , T-90 and Arjun ......IA has been operating tanks in desert without AC for 5 decades and a tank without AC is nothing new .....An AC would make crew effecient but if it helps the machine to perform better in T-90 or T-72 or Arjun all the more good.

Generally Electronic needs far more lower cooling then a tank crew would do specially the more modern one , Militatry Grade electronics are designed to withstand extereme temp and incase if they need cooling they have their own in case of Thermal systems.

The IA never complained of AC all these decades so no need to bring in tangent like Arjun etc to the debate.

p2prada

No the TI problem is resolved they faced it in initial days and that too on some TI in extereme temp of desert, if you check MOD press there is report of issue resolved with TI and all issues with T-90.

As far as AC goes , it is being planned fleet wise for all tanks , IA tank never had ac since they started using tanks.

There is this famous statement by some general made in 90's that it would be less manly for IA tank operators to have AC in tanks ....something similar now they realise having AC will improve effeciency of crew.
AC requirement is to improve crew effeciency of all the current tank including T-72 , T-90 and Arjun ......IA has been operating tanks in desert without AC for 5 decades and a tank without AC is nothing new .....An AC would make crew effecient but if it helps the machine to perform better in T-90 or T-72 or Arjun all the more good.

Generally Electronic needs far more lower cooling then a tank crew would do specially the more modern one , Militatry Grade electronics are designed to withstand extereme temp and incase if they need cooling they have their own in case of Thermal systems.

The IA never complained of AC all these decades so no need to bring in tangent like Arjun etc to the debate.
Repeated these statements so many times that it has become impossible to differentiate between correct reports and wrong reports.

Do you know that the Catherine failure from 2004 was published and republished so many times that the latest one in 2011 was a reprint of the original and someone tried bringing that into the discussion as though it happened yesterday.

Even today people are of the belief that Catherine fails in the deserts even after some 10 major military exercises in Rajasthan and successful T-90 evaluations in Saudi Arabia.

Austin

I am aware of vested interest in the media to target the IA via T-90 or some other deal , so they keep rehashing the statement.

To find out truth you have to scan through MOD statements via PIB in early 2000 or prior to that the issue faced by T-90 are well documented but subsequently these are all resolved , Lastest MOD reports in past few year dont talk of any issue with T-90 and even the recent Army Chief statement mentions T-90 designated as MBT.

p2prada

I am aware of vested interest in the media to target the IA via T-90 or some other deal , so they keep rehashing the statement.

To find out truth you have to scan through MOD statements via PIB in early 2000 or prior to that the issue faced by T-90 are well documented but subsequently these are all resolved , Lastest MOD reports in past few year dont talk of any issue with T-90 and even the recent Army Chief statement mentions T-90 designated as MBT.
What's disappointing is that even people like Ajai Shukla were not aware of "real" facts.

He actually had to go to OFB and hear it from the chief to find out that T-90's ToT was completed long time ago.

As a matter of fact, there is not a peep from Shukla dissing the T-90 nowadays. Before his OFB trip there was an anti-T-90 article every other month with an alternate pro-Arjun article.

What is the level of journalism in India if even people like Shukla make such glaring mistakes...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Just to add some fact

Half of T-90 fleet is with faulty Thermal sights, Only latest batches are with rectified thermal sight, New upgrade of T-90 will add rectified thermal sights with to rest of old batches of T-90.

My source is from a friend within Armour unit..

Austin

Attempts are made to malaign the army for obvious reason , We have VKS on record stating that T-90 is an excellent tank and is designated as MBT ,I dont believe such sources , there are dime a dozen sources which would say this or that , For such earth shattering claim either back it by MOD or IA statements to make it more credible , even the biased Ajai Shula does not make such claims.

bose

Country flag
I do not understand why Indian Army is so adamant on Arjun... IA must accept Arjun [Arjun - II] as it is and encourage for next upgrade in its capability... Any military hardware matures with time ... this is how it happened in USA, Israel, UK and all over the world... one can not get all in very first delivery... Here government must intervene and push IA for large number of Arjun - II orders...

pmaitra

Attempts are made to malaign the army for obvious reason ,
What reasons? I am sorry, they are not quite obvious to me. Please elaborate.

We have VKS on record stating that T-90 is an excellent tank and is designated as MBT ,
VKS also went on record to say that India must become self sufficient. He said a lot of things, including good things about the INSAS, but that is best left for another thread. Even MiG-29 was inducted before its trials were concluded. A section of the army seems to have adopted a policy of demanding systems that are 100% perfect.

sayareakd

Country flag
I do not understand why Indian Army is so adamant on Arjun... IA must accept Arjun [Arjun - II] as it is and encourage for next upgrade in its capability... Any military hardware matures with time ... this is how it happened in USA, Israel, UK and all over the world... one can not get all in very first delivery... Here government must intervene and push IA for large number of Arjun - II orders...
it is capitalist world.................everything cost money in this world.

bose

Country flag
it is capitalist world.................everything cost money in this world.
Sir, in the time of war, Capitalism will not help us... We have no option to indigenous and build incrementally...

Austin

What reasons? I am sorry, they are not quite obvious to me. Please elaborate
To show the Army being corrupt by purchasing a bad tank , what else , Look at some sections of media Ajai Shukla , Tehelka etc just keep rehashing old report to show IA in poor light.

VKS also went on record to say that India must become self sufficient. He said a lot of things, including good things about the INSAS, but that is best left for another thread. Even MiG-29 was inducted before its trials were concluded. A section of the army seems to have adopted a policy of demanding systems that are 100% perfect.
No point in bringing tangent to the discussion , He said T-90 is a good tank and its designated as MBT by Army period.

pmaitra

To show the Army being corrupt by purchasing a bad tank , what else , Look at some sections of media Ajai Shukla , Tehelka etc just keep rehashing old report to show IA in poor light.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Please post link of at least one article by Ajay Shukla that you object to. I am no fan of this person, but I would like to know what exactly you are talking about and what reasons you find so "obvious."

No point in bringing tangent to the discussion , He said T-90 is a good tank and its designated as MBT by Army period.
I do not mean to torment you, but when you bring in a certain comment of your choice by VKS, I reserve the same right, and make no mistake, will exercise it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
T-90S is a MBT just like Arjun and T-72M1 as well, inferior which was rectified with DRDO & OFB help.
==============
My laptop keyboard is not working so i am unable to do much , things are very difficult without keyboard, I hope this is understandable..

Austin

I have no idea what you are talking about. Please post link of at least one article by Ajay Shukla that you object to. I am no fan of this person, but I would like to know what exactly you are talking about and what reasons you find so "obvious."
Well just go through all the T-90 write up that Ajai has done so far and come to your own conclusion.

I do not mean to torment you, but when you bring in a certain comment of your choice by VKS, I reserve the same right, and make no mistake, will exercise it.
I have no intention to get into a debate on this with any one here but I am more inclined to believe my Chief then some internet keyboard warrior.

pmaitra

Well just go through all the T-90 write up that Ajai has done so far and come to your own conclusion.

I have no intention to get into a debate on this with any one here but I am more inclined to believe my Chief then some internet keyboard warrior.
An intention to debate will always be more appreciated than an intention to provoke by resorting to name calling.

Next time you write something, keep yourself open to the possibility that someone will counter it. Our ex-chief's comments (whom you claim to believe) on indigenization is very important in a Arjun-vs-T-90 thread, but I take it you need a bit of help to understand this.