Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

p2prada

Yes that could have been possible and should have been done. Other elements of the tank were replaced during development like the transmission and the engine.
For the Arjun, the transmission was modified as far as I know. It is the same as what was on it in the 90s. Engine as well. The Germans don't want to hand over licence for manufacture in India because our current orders are too small. Economics.

It seems while the Arjun will be refined further with the Mk2 and Mk3 models, the Army may have already decided on a new tank. That's why CVRDE was talking about making a new 2000HP engine for the new tank. The power will be governed to 1500HP if things go according to plan. But if weight of the tank increases during development, they will be able to increase the governed power. So, there is room for error.

I think there is a JV plan for a 1500HP engine for Arjun at the same time. Some said it will be Cummins.

Damian

Hmmm Cummins, they had advanced compact Diesel engine project for US Army, it was designed under AIPS - Advanced Integrated Propulsion System and was designated XAP-1000. US have some interesting Diesel engines designs that were never used, like AVCR-1360 that should fit without problem in to current Arjun engine compartment, this engine is an analog to German MB873 Ka501 1500HP DIesel, and was designed was result of R&D program to design powerpack for MBT-70/KPz-70, and later was used as alternative propulsion system for AGT-1500C Gas Turbine engine used in M1 series.

AVCR-1360 could develop max 1800HP (same power can be achieved by modified MB873 Ka501 used in Swedish Leopard 2S/Strv122) while AGT-1500C max power was 2000HP, both engines were governed to 1500HP.

pmaitra

Weight values are wrong, ground pressure values are wrong, engine output values are wrong, cross-country speed values are wrong, main armament values are wrong, ammo types are wron, co-axial armament is wrong, other machine guns are wrong, categories NBC protection, RF and TI are senseless. Price values are not fixed, also wrong in most cases.
Do me a favour, why don't you reproduce this chart with the correct values? That would be very helpful. Of course, as I said, this is an old chart that I could not upload because of issues with uploading images.

p2prada

Mbaclubindia News : DRDO to make indigenous Arjun tank hi-tech

"We plan to source engines from Cummins India for future orders. If more orders come by, we can reduce the imported content to 25 percent," Sundaresh added.
I don't know which engine will power future models, as long as it is better than the current one that's good enough. A 100HP more will give the "Desert Ferrari" more juice.

They are trying to bring down the production unit price, so I guess if it is made by Cummins India in India, then the costs will be lower than the German engine.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
An Israeli Shell in an Indian Tank

India is equipping its Arjun tanks with IAI's LAHAT missile
India is equipping its Arjun tanks with the LAHAT missile produced by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI). The missile will provide the tank with the ability to hit moving targets from great distances while in motion.
IAI developed and produced the LAHAT – a laser-guided missile that can be launched from a tank's cannon, reaching its target by homing in on a laser spot. The shell-missile weighs approximately 12 kg and has a range of 8 kg, including a lethal 2.5 kg warhead.
Despite the many technical difficulties the Arjun tank project experienced over the years, its serial production and is well underway.

The Indian army recently announced that it intends to order 250 more improved Arjun tanks following the conclusion of the user tests. The newer version has received dozens of improvements compared to the MK-1 variant.
Improvements include its mobility, brigade-power, and the capability to fire missiles through a gun barrel. The tank will also be equipped with advanced reactive shielding.
The Indian Army has committed to continue procuring the tanks if the improvements prove worthy during testing. Four brigades equipped with the Arjun tanks are expected to be operational by 2016.
Israel Defense | An Israeli Shell in an Indian Tank
Very interesting information that makes it a total of 124+124 Mk1 's and 250 Mk 2's for a Total of approximately 500 ARJUNS:cowboy:

pmaitra

^^

Thanks for posting this information.

I just told one guy in ARRSE yesterday, who apparently was batting for the Pakis, that Arjuns can fire the LAHAT.

p2prada

Israel Defense | An Israeli Shell in an Indian Tank
Very interesting information that makes it a total of 124+124 Mk1 's and 250 Mk 2's for a Total of approximately 500 ARJUNS:cowboy:
It is actually 248 tanks and was revealed early last year. Nothing new.

^^

Thanks for posting this information.

I just told one guy in ARRSE yesterday, who apparently was batting for the Pakis, that Arjuns can fire the LAHAT.
None of the serial production Arjun Mk1s can fire Lahat. The Mk2s will have it eventually.

Only 1 prototype was modified to fire Lahat and that was to test the firing mechanism.

pmaitra

It is actually 248 tanks and was revealed early last year. Nothing new.

None of the serial production Arjun Mk1s can fire Lahat. The Mk2s will have it eventually.

Only 1 prototype was modified to fire Lahat and that was to test the firing mechanism.
Yes, it is the Mark 2 that I meant. The Mark 1's, I hear, will also be upgraded. It all starts with 1 prototype, before things enter into serial production.

Anyway, if you have the latest info on the chart I posted (I believe there are errors), please correct them if you have the information. This is for everyone actually.

Damian

I made it partially correct, some data however needs further check, I changed only thing I'am 90-100% sure.

Note, there is M1A2, I give it weight of basic M1A2 (not longer in US Army use) not M1A2SEP that weight is 63,1 tons. For Leopard 2 I gave it weight of German A6 variant. Everyone can change it or point if there are mistakes.

pmaitra

^^

Good, thanks. When I get time, I will put it in a table format.

Also, others, if you have any inputs, please post here.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All Non related Arjun Talks have been REMOVED..

Stick to the topic, Any kind of off topic will be deleted.. :)

Anyways just got back from DEFEXPO 2012, Interesting development On Arjun Rounds, Will post Pics ASAP..

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
This is not this VS that thread..

This is Arjun thread, If you want to have some thread this vs that, you can open a separate thread..

Last edited by a moderator:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
@Poop that is an awesome find. The Mark-2 looks like pure sex! The engine is BEML home grown version or the old German ones?

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Also no ERA or NERA bricks on top of the turret? It looks very exposed particularly when some ATGMs attack from above these days.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We yet need to see full version of this system, Not just a PS photo..

pankaj nema

Country flag
According to Mr Prasun Sengupta the new Arjun Tank will be called MK1A and not Mk 2

Mk 2 is still awaited and will appear in 2014

Damian

@ Damian and Methos, noob question, but if it is a BFSR (BEL Battle Field Surveillance Radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) placed on the right side of turret. Ref. post 2748. How many MBTs currently field such capability?
Non tank use a radar, previously at least in US there were attempts to integrate radar with FCS of tank, and radar was meant to be small enough to place it somewhere, for example inside main sight "doghouse".

In the end it is expensive play, integration with tank is difficult, and it seems that maybe better idea is to place such radar on a dedicated platform, also mainly because radar have it's own signature that can be detected by enemy, and to increase vehicle survivability it is better to decrease thermal, electromagnetic and similiar signatures, not increase them.

blueblood

Non tank use a radar, previously at least in US there were attempts to integrate radar with FCS of tank, and radar was meant to be small enough to place it somewhere, for example inside main sight "doghouse".

In the end it is expensive play, integration with tank is difficult, and it seems that maybe better idea is to place such radar on a dedicated platform, also mainly because radar have it's own signature that can be detected by enemy, and to increase vehicle survivability it is better to decrease thermal, electromagnetic and similiar signatures, not increase them.
Let me rephrase again, will it help Arjun in achieving first shot over the enemy? If I were to suppose the usage of radar in armoured warfare is similar as it is in air warfare, then an air craft with a longer ranged radar has a better chance of first shot. And in this particular case, a platform with radar against the one without it.

As for the cost, it costs about USD 100,000. So, do still think that it is costly considering Arjun is poised to be an expensive platform, i.e. well over $ 7million.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles