Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Is there a possibility that Arjun could ever be exported to Iran?
Why Iran ?

Arjun is deigned for our needs in thar and always was..

Iran have its own product call Zulfar & Its deigned as per their needs..

Lets have Arjun fill our needs once, Than other will see and follow..

This will take some time ( 10 years ) though..

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Recent trends have seen tanks getting heavier. Armor protection is actually outpacing anti-armor technology in most cases (for the present). However new technologies and new threats coming on line make the previous emphasis on massive frontal protection a thing of the past. Now future tanks need to be able to defend on on all sides including the top and control all emissions (RF, IR, Noise etc), retain not just ground but strategic mobility and preserve cost effectiveness.

Making a tank able to physically withstand all angle attacks would make it a bunker not a tank so technology is likely going to reduce the need for armor making a tank lighter in a base form but scaling up in weight as the threat intensifies. In an environment where the main threat is missiles- add an active defensive system and some form of ERA. If the threat is gun fire- add modular armor blocks etc. Technology will also provide the answers for the other threats the tank faces.

The real problem facing future tanks in the medium to long term is how to get enough firepower to the battlefield to remain relevant, mobile and useful given a high intensity threat situation. The US has bet on smart stand off weapons like the MRM-CE while Germany and Russia have been exploring larger weapons.
For a nation like India or Pakistan bigger remains better, but for nations with an expiditionary outlook lighter might be better.
Ask An Expert- LAND Forces.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Second trial of Arjun Mark-II tanks begins at Pokharan

The second trial of Arjun–Mark II, the advance version of India's main battle tank, has begun in Pokharan firing range. The trial is aimed at testing the range and strength of the tank and other weaknesses pointed out in the first trail.

Following the first trial, the Indian Army had highlighted the need of some more technical requirements.

Arjun's new version boasts of an improved missile firing range apart from a latest laser system, which can detect explosives on the ground.

Following the trial, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will be making suitable changes in the tank on the advice of military experts. This advanced version of the tank is likely to be inducted into the Indian Army by next year.

"The trial of the advance version of Arjun has started in Pokharan firing range. This is a development trial and the tanks will be handed over to the Indian Army after removing all the faults pointed out by the military experts," Col SD Goswamy, Defence spokesperson, said.

Apart from its phenomenal missile launching capabilities, Arjun Mark II also has an enhanced auxiliary power unit, explosive reactive armour panels, mine plough, automatic target tracking, advanced land navigation system, digital control harness, and advanced commander panoramic sight among various other features.

One of the critical features of the tank is that a missile can be fired from it to destroy long range targets and also shoot down enemy helicopters.

The upgraded version of Arjun, which has been fitted with German engine, was inducted in the Indian Army over a year ago. The Indian Army has placed an order for 124 such tanks.

Global Defence: Second trial of Arjun Mark-II tanks begins at Pokharan

agentperry

i saw a report on tv regarding arjun, t-72 and t-90. arjun was biggest and bulkiest among all. though the army men handling it were proud of it but i somehow understood why army was reluctant in taking up this beast. cuz of its size army is getting away from it. its difficult to hide it in battle field. i hope arjun mk2 is sleaker than what arjun mk1 is...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
i saw a report on tv regarding arjun, t-72 and t-90. arjun was biggest and bulkiest among all. though the army men handling it were proud of it but i somehow understood why army was reluctant in taking up this beast. cuz of its size army is getting away from it. its difficult to hide it in battle field. i hope arjun mk2 is sleaker than what arjun mk1 is...
That is a wrong theory, With today's FCS you can pin on foot ball at 3kms away and can successfully hit too..

In Old days ( cold war ) the theory was good considering FCS of those days on T-55 and M-48s..

Storm shadow

Country flag
First of all Arjun and T 90S both have almost the same height at hull down position,so there goes your theory.Being bigger and heavier,the Arjun has much thicker armor and hence greater all round protection.Besides the ARDE along with the Barakuda camouflage has developed a special paint and Multyspectral Mobile Camouflage System that reduces its both visual as well as infrared signature to a great extent.In the field test the MCS denied the visibility to the spotters at 1400 meter.So,in a battle Arjun Mk1 can remain hidden for longer than T 90S.
REGARDS....

Storm shadow

Country flag
First of all Arjun and T 90S both have almost the same height at hull down position,so there goes your theory.Being bigger and heavier,the Arjun has much thicker armor and hence greater all round protection.Besides the ARDE along with the Barakuda camouflage has developed a special paint and Multyspectral Mobile Camouflage System that reduces its both visual as well as infrared signature to a great extent.In the field test the MCS denied the visibility to the spotters at 1400 meter.So,in a battle Arjun Mk1 can remain hidden for longer than T 90S.
REGARDS.... . .

Storm shadow

Country flag
That is a comparison between M1A2 & T-90S..

Arjunmk1 = 2.32 metres (7 ft 7 in)
T-90S = 2.22 m (7 ft 3 in)
M1A2 = 8 ft (2.44 m )
leopard A4/5/6/7 = 3.0 m (120 in)
Bang on target Sir.In this picture it's clearly visible that the turret ring of T 90 is completely exposed and if that portion gets hit by an anti tank round(which is very much possible THANX to the shot trap created by the 'unique' placement of the Kontact V ERA tiles)it will result into a catastroph and the crew will die for sure.In case of Arjun,even if the tank is hit the crew inside will escape alive to fight another battle.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
More indigenous systems will bring down the cost.
I guess they are working on the engine which will be indigenous.

They added 93 upgrades and i think those sub-sytems are to blame for the cost hype. If they remove 50 upgrades which wont be needed then the cost may be controlled or try to copy them and make it in India.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles