Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

p2prada

Wasn't the orders for 248 tanks expected?

Shouldn't that make 124 Mk1s and 248 Mk2s? or 372 Mk2s?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Wasn't the orders for 248 tanks expected?

Shouldn't that make 124 Mk1s and 248 Mk2s? or 372 Mk2s?
Monday, May 17, 2010

Indian Army has decided to place a fresh order for an additional 124 Arjun main battle tanks. This is over and above the existing order of 124 tanks, taking the total strength in service to 248 Arjuns.
Livefist: FLASH! Indian Army Orders 124 More Arjun Tanks!
Jul 6, 2011, 03.28am IST
Army set to place order for 248 more arjun main battle tanks
A total 248 + 248 = 496.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Arjun MBT order soars to 496!

Army orders a further 248 Arjun MBTs

BANGALORE: The much-maligned Arjun Main Battle Tank is poised to get a fresh lease of life, with the Indian Army set to order 248 more of India's first indigenously-built tanks, a decision that will also give a much-needed shot in the arm to the country's beleaguered tank fleet.

"We are definitely expecting more orders, at least a minimum of 248 tanks of the Mark-II version. The Ordnance Factory Board has been instructed by the ministry of defence to initiate action for the procurement of the Mark-II version," P. Sivakumar, director, Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment, told the Economic Times.

The order, which could be placed in late-2011 itself, will come as a huge boost to the Arjun production line at the Heavy Vehicles Factory at Avadhi, on the outskirts of Chennai, as the same was expected to be terminated due to a lack of interest shown by the Indian Army.

So far, the Army has placed an order for 248 tanks of the Mark-I and Mark-II versions.

The Mark-II version of the Arjun MBT is currently undergoing its critical summer trials in Pokhran, Rajasthan, conducted by the country's nodal defence lab, DRDO, while the winter trials are expected to take place later in the year. The defence research establishment expects to get the new orders from the end user - the Army - once the current trials conclude.

"If the trials go well, particularly relating to missile firing, there is no doubt that further orders will be placed. There is a commitment given by the deputy chief of Army staff, if the new improvements are incorporated successfully" Sivakumar said.

The June trials have already seen the Arjun MBT Mark-II tested with a number of technical improvements, including command panoramic sight and uncooled thermal image. According to Sivakumar, a further 40 technological improvements are to be tested, including a new transmission control system and new fuel tanks.

'We are planning the first phase of the end user trials by October or November for the missile and other design improvements," he said.

The Army's decision to induct greater numbers of the Arjun MBT is a significant turnaround from its earlier reluctance to do so. However, with the military's 4,000-strong tank arsenal consisting largely of more than 2,400 obsolete T-72 tanks and transfer of technology issues with Russia relating to the T-90, has forced it to take a re-look at the Arjun.

The tank has had its fair share of detractors within the country's military establishment.

After being in development hell for more than 30 years and at a substantial cost of Rs 300-crore, the Arjun MBT programme had come under severe flak for cost overruns and its failure to meet the Indian Army's combat requirements, leading to speculation that it could never be the mainstay of the Indian Army's Armoured Corps.

But ever since comprehensively outgunning and outrunning the T-90, India's current flagship battle tank in 2010, the DRDO has been positioning the Arjun MBT as the backbone of the country's armoured fighting units.

Defended the programme, the defence establishment also laid part of the blame for the project delays on the Indian military, stating that they had to be "realistic" in their demands.

"'But while we welcome all inputs and guidelines, we also feel the need for the Services to firm up realistic requirements at the earliest, so we may properly plan our project requirements," Dr VK Saraswat, scientific advisor to the defence minister said last month.

At first I thought this was an old article, but when I checked the date, I was like "wow! Desi maal is winning hearts at Sena Bhavan finally". Do any of you guys know of this?

BTW When the first batch of Arjuns was being inducted, DRDO said that if IA buys 500 tank units, they could break even or even profit. Now considering previous 248 orders and this one, it takes it to 496, closing in on the magic number. Guess DRDO finally made it in one piece for once eh? :thumb:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
"If the trials go well, particularly relating to missile firing, there is no doubt that further orders will be placed.

They have already conducted such test, This is nothing new..

transfer of technology issues with Russia relating to the T-90, has forced it to take a re-look at the Arjun.
But ever since comprehensively outgunning and outrunning the T-90, India's current flagship battle tank in 2010, the DRDO has been positioning the Arjun MBT as the backbone of the country's armoured fighting units.
I am not sure what happened with additional 1000 t-90s in country, T-90S was first priority coz it arrived first, Arjun qualified latter, Something gone wrong with Home made T-90S program..

Last edited:

plugwater

What is the technical name of targeting something even if the tank moves in a rough terrain? I am sure they said Mk-2 will have this tech, what is the status of it ?

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
What is the technical name of targeting something even if the tank moves in a rough terrain? I am sure they said Mk-2 will have this tech, what is the status of it ?
It is called the Round Terrain shooter! Lol

Dude isn't that called gun control system?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Fire on move ?

Where Gyros keep the gun trained on target over rough ground..

It can take out a briefcase at ranges over 2000m at speed over 40km/h..

pack leader

Professional
great news welcome to western tank doctrine
i wish you the best of luck
may apam and trophy improve your great tank even more
you should have forsaken t 90 ages ago

plugwater

We didnt give up on T-90, We will induct both Arjun and T-90

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Yes, Kunal sir is correct, Any idea about its technical term?
Its actually called Fire Control System. There is nothing called Fire on Move, the fire control system is more advanced these days as it is integrated with computers and censors and bot work together to give an firing solution to the gunner.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Actually we are following western doctrine but with Russian weapons, Btw Arjun is South Asian cousin of Western Leo A4...

And at far east you can find JSDF Type 90 as the east Asian cousin of Leo A4..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
thanks Pack, i must say with help from Israel, we have improve the DNA of Arjun tank, hope Trophy auto loader will soon be on top of Arjun tank.

Yeah T 90 compare to Arjun is not worth it. But we cant help it vodka is just too much and it has been here for very long time. Things are improving, we have build big HVF for Arjun tank, i am very happy that it is getting order after proving itself against Arjun tank and those who wanted to see it fail at any cost.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Fire on move ?

It can take out a briefcase at ranges over 2000m at speed over 40km/h..
I always think it is most difficult to achieve it, enemy tank can move in any direction.
LAHAT/CLGM has great ability to fire NLOS even if tank move in any direction all that person who has to aim has to do is keep painting Laser to enemy tank and it will be history.

bhramos

Country flag
We didnt give up on T-90, We will induct both Arjun and T-90
still T-90's would be greater in larger no's, we can still use T-72M's another 10+ years, until the Arjun's and T-90's are all inducted..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its actually called Fire Control System. There is nothing called Fire on Move, the fire control system is more advanced as it is integrated with computers and censors now compared to manual aiming earlier.
What Manc is asking what u call when a vehicle targets a target while traveling on rough ground..

In popular tank culture, tankers call it " FIRE ON MOVE ", Even T-90/72 can do so for about 200 to 500 meters, But Arjun FCS and Gyros are very modern compare to T-tanks, Hence it can fire a Briefcase at 2000m while traveling at 40km/h..

I dont think their are other words for it..
"We had test-fired the Israeli LAHAT missile through the Arjun gun as far back as in 2005", pointed out Sundaresh. "It will take us about six months to integrate the LAHAT's designator into the Arjun's fire control system."

The addition of two tonnes of ERA will increase the weight of the Arjun to just over 60 tonnes, making it one of the world's heaviest tanks. But the DRDO claims that its powerful 1500 Horse Power engine easily handles the extra weight.

"The ERA will protect the Arjun's crews from enemy missiles. Initially we will fit the same Russian ERA that protects the T-90 and the T-72. But we will also develop our own indigenous ERA.
So, We may see K5 or advance type of Heavy ERA on Arjun MK-2..

Last edited:

pack leader

Professional
in all modern tanks 4-6 gyroscopes keep the tank gun on target on the move
those gyroscopes are automatically controlled by the tank fcs (main computer )
Russian fcs is old tech and prone to problems
that's why we replaced most Indian t 72 fcs with Israeli elbit fcs

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
still T-90's would be greater in larger no's, we can still use T-72M's another 10+ years, until the Arjun's and T-90's are all inducted..
We want to get rid of that 72s, And we have 300-600 T-90S which are good, Its better for IA to use 72 for next 5 years..

I always think it is most difficult to achieve it, enemy tank can move in any direction.
LAHAT/CLGM has great ability to fire NLOS even if tank move in any direction all that person who has to aim has to do is keep painting Laser to enemy tank and it will be history.
In hands of trained gunners nothing is difficult, Our Gunners zero in with T-90S on targets upto 4kms away static and can engage 500m-1000m at move depend on gunner skills, With Arjun specially with ballistic computer and Advance laser range finder, Our job is much easier once fired it will hit the enemy over 2-3kms on move..

Storm shadow

Country flag
Guys,ie the report regarding the FMBT is true then we may very well see atleast 1000 Arjun tanks in indian army by 2025.According to the article IA wants to induct 1200 FMBTs.Now IA has recomended tank force of 4200 tanks.So,with 1800 T90s+1200FMBTs replacing the T72s,there will remain a gap of 1000+ tanks that can be filled with Arjun tanks.
Besides army wants to induct the FMBT from 2025 onwards and Arjun mk2 will be produced from 2013 in HVF Avady.So there remain a time gap over a decade and in that time more Arjuns are needed to be produced in order to keep the HVF facility running,otherwyse it will have to be closed.So at present rate of 64 Arjuns per year atleast 750 Arjun mk2 should be produced.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles