Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Chinmoy

Country flag
If services are so dumb that they don't know current state of DRDO/Indian industry from a technological point of view then they have only themselves to blame. If they didn't know what they were approving then they have no idea what they are doing. I mean they don't know we don't have a MTU equivalent engine or a Renk equivalent transmission or that it takes years to develop such components? Or they don't know that we don't have Michelin tyres?
Ok. So you mean to say we should not approve anything to start with?

Right?

Hari Sud

Country flag
DRDO whose brainchild are most of the military related projects had been a highly unsuccessful organization. It is government organization where passing the buck had been the key characteristic of its existence until Modi showed up on the scene. Except for a short period of time when brilliant scientists gave india missiles and space race, most of the projects otherwise failed. We are talking about MBT, delayed LCA, air missiles, artillery etc.

After Modi instituted some discipline and dumped seniority as criteria for promotion a bit of an improved science work has started to come out but not enough. It is still highly indisciplined organization with no accountability at all. The current saying to brilliant young college graduates is that unless you need a government job, otherwise do not join DRDO.

There is a way out…… Privatize it. Split it into number of specialized units like the way OFB has been broken up and then hand it over to the private sector where rewards for invention and research become the norm. These lethargic scientists will suddenly become productive. Government will sponsor defence projects and pay for it under private sector management. That will be great change and for the betterment of the scientists working there.

omaebakabaka

Its not vested interest all the time. Its easy for us to think that someone behind the screen is pulling strings all the time by neglecting some plain facts before our eyes. Let me make you understand by a simple example.

Lets say I want a car and you are the designer. Now while developing the prototype, you have designed the whole thing on paper and got my approval. Now while developing the prototype, you have just built the raw chassis of the car. You imported the suspension from some foreign OEM, the engine from another foreign OEM, the wheel from another and so on.
Now while testing it has performed well and upto my expectations. But if I look into the after sales part, it would cost me a lot. So I asked you to use indigenous component to bring down the operating cost. Now for that lets assume you provided me MRF tires instead of Michelin. Now while again testing it with those tires, I found the service to be not upto the mark as previous. Again you jo for lets say, CEAT tires. Again the whole process of testing would be repeated. Now you could see why the testing period for indigenous system drags on and on.
For such a long duration, I can't remain without a car and the next best thing for me is to import one. So where in came the vested interest?

We do give MoD babus and generals undue credit when we say that they are stalling the process of indigenous equipment induction. In reality they don't have that much of authority. Asking for emergency purchase is need of hour from user point of view. If anyone has to be blamed for this sorry state, it has to be the political authority and civil society who have virtually strangled the industrial prowess of the nation. Without a robust industry, you can't imagine a MIC. You are bound to go for imports in such a scenario.
I agree with this take, just like most things its systematic problems, lack of discipline, ethics and so on orginating mostly out of our political low class establishment. But since this forum elevates babus to god like decision making powers, I was not sure who is fooling India. Basically private companies are better set up if they are motivated to take research from drdo and turn it into real products.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I agree with this take, just like most things its systematic problems, lack of discipline, ethics and so on orginating mostly out of our political low class establishment. But since this forum elevates babus to god like decision making powers, I was not sure who is fooling India. Basically private companies are better set up if they are motivated to take research from drdo and turn it into real products.
Sadly our private industries would always prefer JV with foreign OEM before ToT from DRDO.

Chinmoy

Country flag
DRDO whose brainchild are most of the military related projects had been a highly unsuccessful organization. It is government organization where passing the buck had been the key characteristic of its existence until Modi showed up on the scene. Except for a short period of time when brilliant scientists gave india missiles and space race, most of the projects otherwise failed. We are talking about MBT, delayed LCA, air missiles, artillery etc.

After Modi instituted some discipline and dumped seniority as criteria for promotion a bit of an improved science work has started to come out but not enough. It is still highly indisciplined organization with no accountability at all. The current saying to brilliant young college graduates is that unless you need a government job, otherwise do not join DRDO.

There is a way out…… Privatize it. Split it into number of specialized units like the way OFB has been broken up and then hand it over to the private sector where rewards for invention and research become the norm. These lethargic scientists will suddenly become productive. Government will sponsor defence projects and pay for it under private sector management. That will be great change and for the betterment of the scientists working there.
Raat ki utri nahin sayad....

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag

Brother , vodka aur whisky mix nai karte kabhi
Maine kiya tha ek bar phir kabhi nai pita

omaebakabaka

Sadly our private industries would always prefer JV with foreign OEM before ToT from DRDO.
That's where we expect our govt to form regulations and create incentives and drive patriotic innovation. Since you seem to have details on inner workings, is Modi govt brought in more changes that are good overall? I realize rot cleaning takes time considering its decades old now...

Chinmoy

Country flag
That's where we expect our govt to form regulations and create incentives and drive patriotic innovation. Since you seem to have details on inner workings, is Modi govt brought in more changes that are good overall? I realize rot cleaning takes time considering its decades old now...
Patriotic innovation is out of question when you are driven by profit and loss. So leave it aside.

As for other two, yes. Govt has started incentives and brought along regulations for more and more indigenous products in market. The first negative list which has covered a huge lot of minor subcomponents is a huge step of regularizing it. Tax benefit and license fee reduction is another step towards it. But all these has come too late in all practical sense. So dependency on foreign OEM is still going to be there for another decade or so to come while our industry could keep up with the pace.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles