Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Re: Will Tejas MK2 be equivalant to Rafale?

I have not understood the issue.

All Tank are weapon for offensive action but can also be used for defence.

All types of Tanks can be used in the Punjab and the deserts.
So why not induct arjun instead white elephant.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag

Abhi shared this info

Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II
post number #988 by twinblade will give you answer @Pulkit and will elaborate how can arjun be carried by bridges

The load allowable is given not the ultimate load or strength at which the bridge might fail...

So a bridge which can carry 40tonne has a actual limit way higher....

Could you explain this further?

I have not understood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Abhi shared this info

Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II
post number #988 by twinblade will give you answer @Pulkit and will elaborate how can arjun be carried by bridges

The load allowable is given not the ultimate load or strength at which the bridge might fail...

So a bridge which can carry 40tonne has a actual limit way higher....
Post 988 where?

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating represents the empty vehicle's axle weight plus the maximum added load. On vehicles with more than one axle, the weight is divided between each axle and each has its own Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

Bridges are designed to support a wide variety of vehicles and their expected loads.

Fig 1A

Fif 1B
The weight on various axle configurations must be checked to determine compliance with the Bridge Formula. Three definitions are needed to use the Bridge Formula correctly.

Gross Weight—The weight of a vehicle or vehicle combination and any load thereon.

Single-Axle Weight—The total weight on one or more axles whose centers are spaced not more than 40 inches apart.

Tandem-Axle Weight—The total weight on two or more consecutive axles whose centers are spaced more than 40 inches apart but not more than 96 inches apart.

Axle spacing is as important as axle weight in designing bridges. In Figure 1A, the stress on bridge members as a longer truck rolls across is much less than that caused by a short vehicle as shown in Figure 1B, even though both trucks have the same total weight and individual axle weights. The weight of the longer vehicle is spread out, while the shorter vehicle is concentrated on a smaller area.

the axle group that includes the entire truck—sometimes called the "outer bridge" group—must comply with the Bridge Formula. However, interior combinations of axles, such as the "tractor bridge" (axles 1, 2, and 3) and "trailer bridge" (axles 2, 3, 4, and 5), must also comply with weights computed by the Bridge Formula (Fig below)

Figure above shows the most common vehicle checked for compliance with weight limit requirements. Although the Bridge Formula applies to each combination of two or more axles, experience shows that axle combinations 1 through 3, 1 through 5, and 2 through 5 are critical and must be checked. If these combinations are found to be satisfactory, then all of the others on this type of vehicle normally will be satisfactory.

The vehicle with weights and axle dimensions shown in Figure below is used to illustrate a Bridge Formula check.

Before checking for compliance with the Bridge Formula, a vehicle's single-axle, tandem-axle, and gross weight should be checked. Here the single axle (number 1) does not exceed the laid down single axle limit , tandems 2-3 and 4-5 do not exceed the laid down limit of tandem axle limit, and the gross weight does not exceed the laid down gross weight. Thus, these preliminary requirements are satisfied. The first Bridge Formula combination is checked as follows:

For more see this
Bridge Formula Weights- FHWA Freight Management and Operations

Corelate and explain please.

I am not an engineer and so would like it to be explained if you can.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

I would only say seeing is believing.

Media hype is not the litmus test.
there is no AC in t90, electronics fails many times. And arjun have defeated it. I wonder how IA will use it in day as it will bake tank crew. But our army wants inferior foreign maal instead good desi maal.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I am talking about this @Ray saar
Saw that.

Thanks.

Wars and armour movement especially envelopment are undertaken in underdeveloped areas and rarely along State and National Highways.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

What are class A and class B bridges? Why is the govt not building bridges that support all types of army vehicles?
what is use of tank in MP,TN,karnataka? So instead of wasting money for bridge A we can build cheap bridge B type.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

there is no AC in t90, electronics fails many times. And arjun have defeated it. I wonder how IA will use it in day as it will bake tank crew. But our army wants inferior foreign maal instead good desi maal.
The Arjun Mk2 is a landmark and possibly India` greatest military production. However I have heard that 50-60% of its parts are imported. Why is the govt not making a 100% indigenous tank? I do not understand why they are importing tank parts from countries like Israel etc. This imports are already causing problems in Arjun.

Poor Israeli parts delay Arjun Mk-II - The Times of India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

DRDO imports all the main components and then assemble.

That way it is indigenous.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

The Arjun Mk2 is a landmark and possibly India` greatest military production. However I have heard that 50-60% of its parts are imported. Why is the govt not making a 100% indigenous tank? I do not understand why they are importing tank parts from countries like Israel etc. This imports are already causing problems in Arjun.

Poor Israeli parts delay Arjun Mk-II - The Times of India
first point is engine. 10% of its price is price of engine. And renaming 40% includes many technologies which cannot be produced in third world countries in QUALITY.
arjun mk1 is 100% indigenous now. But in 2004 it was 60%. Even CVRDE developed indigenous engine but no more orders by IA. So later on arjun mk2 can also be 80-90% indigenous

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag

Is there a way to rename the thread I can go and change teh name and add Arjun V/S IA&T90

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

DRDO imports all the main components and then assemble.

That way it is indigenous.
Really India needs to start producing really indigenous tanks. Even the engine of Arjun Mk2 was changed from an Indian one to German one. All of this because the orders for Arjun was a small one. I think the DRDO officials are working like the usual govt employees who are stereotyped for their lazy attitude. The govt should immediately start scrutinizing why DRDO`s is being so lax in its approach. If India does not have its own built tanks the we would have to go back to placing expensive orders from Russia,Israel,UK. This countries might even blackmail us during war.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Really India needs to start producing really indigenous tanks. Even the engine of Arjun Mk2 was changed from an Indian one to German one. All of this because the orders for Arjun was a small one. I think the DRDO officials are working like the usual govt employees who are stereotyped for their lazy attitude. The govt should immediately start scrutinizing why DRDO`s is being so lax in its approach. If India does not have its own built tanks the we would have to go back to placing expensive orders from Russia,Israel,UK. This countries might even blackmail us during war.
I have worked with the DRDO in a way and I know the mindset.

Some of their organisations are incapable of even reverse engineering of some basic stuff!

They are bureaucratic and are CYA types.

And like most Indians, love power, steady ironclad guaranteed income and a cushy life and the work be damned.

I do not believe Indians are not intelligent, innovative and can produced world class results.

How come they do well when they are abroad?

I am listening to music on Bose system. It is world class. He is of Indian origin. How come he made a name for himself in the world? Take the IT chaps whose work has made them world famous names. Take the many Indian origin CEOs.

Take the case of Tata, who took over Jaguar Land Rover, a company under British management and in the dumps, and today that company is back in the world reckoning with their profits sky-rocketing.

Indians are great and they can deliver. The system has to allow them to achieve it!

There are great scientists and engineers in the DRDO organisation, but they are not allowed their space to research and experiment.

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

first point is engine. 10% of its price is price of engine. And renaming 40% includes many technologies which cannot be produced in third world countries in QUALITY.
arjun mk1 is 100% indigenous now. But in 2004 it was 60%. Even CVRDE developed indigenous engine but no more orders by IA. So later on arjun mk2 can also be 80-90% indigenous
I am hoping mods will change the posts to appropriate thread. However the paper is saying that Arjun MK 1 has a German engine.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles