Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Go back, Check the diagram again and read it again..

You are running wild in your own imagination..

go ahead, use a ruler or whatever to verify that the distances are the same. basically, the gun breech would have to be longer than the turret itself for you to be correct.

Dejawolf

Go back, Check the diagram again and read it again..

You are running wild in your own imagination..
i did, found a better picture for gun length comparison. my statement is falsifiable, go ahead and falsify.
and try and do it scientifically with measurements, instead of just making bold statements with no connection to reality.

also go ahead and state why i am running wild in my imagination. and why i should check my diagram again.

Last edited:

pmaitra

I think I agree with @Dejawolf here. Now, I have doubts about the gun in the picture? Where is the pivot on the gun. Can anyone please give an estimated mark?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dejawolf

I think I agree with @Dejawolf here. Now, I have doubts about the gun in the picture? Where is the pivot on the gun. Can anyone please give an estimated mark?

this spot correlates visually to the pivot from the abrams gun. same rounded top (and bottom) to allow it to rotate freely along with
a round piece in the center.
you don't want those edges to be square otherwise the gun won't be able to pivot.

pmaitra

this spot correlates visually to the pivot from the abrams gun. same rounded top (and bottom) to allow it to rotate freely along with
a round piece in the center.
you don't want those edges to be square otherwise the gun won't be able to pivot.
Thanks for the image.

Regarding the edges, I am not sure what you are referring to. I believe that those 45 degree edges as drawn in red are redundant, and event if they were 90 degree edges, it would not have a problem pivoting.

Dejawolf

Thanks for the image.

Regarding the edges, I am not sure what you are referring to. I believe that those 45 degree edges as drawn in red are redundant, and event if they were 90 degree edges, it would not have a problem pivoting.
they need to be rounded to create a proper seal between the outside and inside at all angles:

without rounded edges you get a pretty nasty weakspot in the front turret armour, along with large openings where water can flood in.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ok, here why i said you are imagining... >>

pivot are also can be see here, not where you are pointing though, so does the shape and size of the matlet is similar from picture 3 = 6..
You are measuring a rough sketch compare to what you are not sure that it is of tank-ex gun assemble or Arjun`s, You are circling around picture 2 only and you have no connection to picture or the rest, you idea revolves around picture 2 only mine is from all as evident on the diagram..

The fact is its hard for you to admit your idea is wrong and you are basically stretching the argument to win, consider this is last reply from me on this topic, i have low tolerance for BS..

also go ahead and state why i am running wild in my imagination. and why i should check my diagram again.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
if we all have a remote chance lets go to avadi or any army show where we all can get a closer look and settle this once and for all some 10 pages hmmm

Dejawolf

Ok, here why i said you are imagining... >>

You are measuring a rough sketch compare to what you are not sure that it is of tank-ex gun assemble or Arjun`s, You are circling around picture 2 only and you have no connection to picture or the rest, you idea revolves around picture 2 only mine is from all as evident on the diagram..

The fact is its hard for you to admit your idea is wrong and you are basically stretching the argument to win, consider this is last reply from me on this topic, i have low tolerance for BS..
how is this:

revolving around picture 2 only?
you dismissed this outright without even considering the argument. and it's a pretty devastating argument. its simple and logical.

compare the length of the barrel, and length of breech. in the 1985 test rig picture, breech is longer than the barrel.
next compare external barrel to turret externally. it is evident the external gun barrel is nearly as long as the turret.
therefore, in order for for the gun to be mounted as you suggest, the back of the gun breech would be touching the rear of the turret bustle,
and a stub ejection basket would be extending through the turret rear wall.
this is impossible. it also makes it impossible for the gun to elevate and depress, something we've clearly seen the arjun do several times.
therefore your assumption about the gun mounting of the arjun is impossible.
additionally you suggest that the front portion would have to be spun 90 degrees which is really just stretching it a bit into crazytown.
why on earth would you mount the mantle plate sideways?
do you see the mantle plate being spun 90 degrees on the 2008 factory picture? no, because guns are NEVER mounted like that.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
The armor plates over the gun mantel is more than 400 mm thick.

just compare the depth of the main sight cutaway(700 mm in length according to your previous estimates) to the depth of the gun mantel plate pivot in the gun cutaway. Add a 100 mm to the depth since the frontal armor plate is protruding out of the turret front in ARJUN.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

The guns in pic-1 and pic-6 seems different . Just compare the size of the stepped up dia gun barrel protruding in front of the mantel plate in pic-6 to the no higher dia part of gunbarrel protruding in front of the mantel plate in pic-1(early ninety model).

Last edited:

The Last Stand

Country flag
I don't see how Leopard 2 can have more armour than Arjun behind the main sight, for Leo 2A4. The sight is positioned much more to the inside than on the Arjun.

@Damian, @Dejawolf, @militarysta

Any thoughts on the above Singaporean Leo 2A4 picture? The main sight seems to be positioned much more inside than in Ex-Bundeswehr Leo 2A4.

Also, is Arjun's turret armour cavity smaller than Leo 2A4's?

Articles