Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

So all the assuptions behind your 3d Model were wrong. You assumed that the turret has a width of 2.475 meters,

So you assumed that there is not enough space for the gunner besides Tc,

And seeing no armor block in front of the gunner you assumed lower LOS there.

STGN already posted as per even his pixel meausrements ARJUN turret has a width of 3100 mm, you are assuming 2500 mm , far less.

So if we add the missing 600 mm width you can as well se ARJUN will have a decent side turret protectino as well

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I am saying there's something wrong with your eyes if you believe the gunner sits behind the gun mantlet based on that drawing.

it is the gunner who sits behind the main sight, and here's the picture to prove it.

Lol, what? are you really this desperate to be right when it's so blindingly obvious that you are wrong T-shirt man?

picture 3 in that compilation shows gunner sitting in front of the TC, and also shows the turret wall, and breech.
show me a picture of the arjun where the gunner sits right behind the gun mantlet. it does not exist. it is part of your out of control imagination.
Then WHY ARE THEY SITTING AT DIFFERENT HEIGHTS?

THE PHOTGRAPHERS IMAGINATION ,perhaps.

Or the gunner is sitting at the feet of the Tc?

May be the gunner does not have a seat at all, because it is a low budget third world tank?

Dejawolf

Then WHY ARE THEY SITTING AT DIFFERENT HEIGHTS?

THE PHOTGRAPHERS IMAGINATION ,perhaps.

Or the gunner is sitting at the feet of the Tc?

May be the gunner does not have a seat at all, because it is a low budget third world tank?
on all tanks with 4-man crew, where TC and gunner sits in tandem, the TC sits higher than the gunner.

this is true for the leopard 1 and 2, T-55, abrams tanks, M60, amx-30 etc etc etc.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
on all tanks with 4-man crew, where TC and gunner sits in tandem, the TC sits higher than the gunner.

this is true for the leopard 1 and 2, T-55, abrams tanks, M60, amx-30 etc etc etc.
There is a picture posted in this very forum showing the seat og gunner at the left side of TC's seat, SO I am pretty sure about what I am saying.

How did arrive at the width of 2475 mm for ARJUN turret?

The IA accustomed to small Soviet tanks wanted CVRDE to make ARJUN lower and wider, So the width of the turret is a lot wider than leo.

So the width of ARJUN turret was about 3.2 meters.

Last edited:

Dejawolf

There is a picture posted in this very forum showing the seat og gunner at the left side of TC's seat, SO I am pretty sure about what I am saying.

How did arrive at the width of 2475 mm for ARJUN turret?

The IA accustomed to small Soviet tanks wanted CVRDE to make ARJUN lower and wider, So the width of the turret is a lot wider than leo.

So the width of ARJUN turret was about 3.2 meters.
2475mm is the width of the LEOPARD turret, you can't even see the difference... and where is that picture of yours? because i have posted 10 photographs where it's obvious they're not sitting side by side.
are you talking about that line drawing? even you are not that stupid. all you're doing is trolling to piss me off, because i proved you wrong.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
2475mm is the width of the LEOPARD turret, you can't even see the difference... and where is that picture of yours? because i have posted 10 photographs where it's obvious they're not sitting side by side.
are you talking about that line drawing? even you are not that stupid. all you're doing is trolling to piss me off, because i proved you wrong.
the same debate is there in ARJUN mk-1 thread. No need to post here.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Final trials of fully integrated Arjun Mark II tanks in August

The fully integrated modified version of India's Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun Mark II would go for final trials in the first week of August in Rajasthan. Though trials of the updated version are presently on in Rajasthan, the fully integrated tanks would be sent for final trials by the Indian Army by August, sources told a news agency.

The Army had asked for 93 improvements to the tank, which included 19 major modifications, all of which have been incorporated, they said.

Arjun Mark II can fire missiles, has an enhanced Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) with a capacity of 8.5 KW (against Mark I's 4.5 KW), Explosive Reactive Armour panels, mine plough, Automatic Target Tracking, Advanced Land Navigation System, digital control harness and advanced commander panoramic sight among other features.

Arjun will have a better gun barrel with an Equivalent Firing Charge (strength of the barrel to sustain firing) of 500 rounds against the T 72"²s 250 rounds.

Chennai-based Combat Vehicle Research and Development Establishment has designed the Mark II version of MBT at its facility here.

CVRDE co-ordinated with Armament Research and Development Establishment, Pune, High Energy Materials Research Laboratory, Pune, Instruments Research & Development Establishment, Dehradun, Centre for Fire, Explosive and Environment Safety, Delhi and Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory, Hyderabad for designing Mark II.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Old Picture Of Arjun MK2

The prototype here is without electronics, New PT-3 will be with RCWS and COAPS and many other inputs.. .

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Trials of Arjun Mark-II main-battle tanks to be completed this year | idrw.org

The advanced version of the homegrown main-battle tank, Arjun, is all set to complete its protracted trials this year, which will include firing the Israeli-origin laser guided LAHAT missiles from its main gun.

This Mark-II version of the Arjun has "89 upgrades or improvements" over the earlier 124 Mark-I tanks inducted by the Army. "The trials began in June 2012 at the Mahajan field firing ranges in Rajasthan. Phase-II of the trials, which basically revolve around the armaments, kicked off in May-June this year," said an official on Thursday.

Another round of the LAHAT missile firing will take place in the first week of August. "The remaining trials will begin in the third week of August at Pokhran. If the trials are fully successful, the production order for 118 Arjun Mark-II tanks will be placed," he said.

While the Army has inducted 124 Mark-I Arjuns, the force and other agencies had suggested the 89 improvements for the Mark-II version. These included the capability to fire missiles from the main gun, advanced laser warning and control systems, and explosive reactive armour plates for better self-protection of the tanks.

With the long delay in the indigenous Arjun project, which was sanctioned as far back as in 1974, the Army has progressively inducted around 800 of the planned 1,657 T-90S Russian-origin tanks till now.

The T-90S tanks, which are replacing the older T-55 and T-72 tanks, are going to be the main battle-tanks of the Army for the foreseeable future. DRDO, however, wants Army to order a minimum of 500 Arjuns to stabilise production lines and pave the way for the development of a "futuristic" MBT. "The Arjun Mark-II, a crucial indigenous effort, will have better firepower, mobility and survivability over the earlier version," said another official.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Arjun MK-II user trials kicked off in Rajasthan | idrw.org

User trials of Main Battle Tank, Arjun MK-II equipped with almost 75 new improved technologies and some other modified features as compared to Mark-I version have been kicked off in Rajasthan and are expected to continue for the coming few days. Defence Research and Development Organisation which has indigenously developed and manufactured this much awaited MBT with help of its various labs led by Chennai-based Combat Vehicle Research and Development Establishment has been conducting development trials for almost two years to test various technologies integrated into Arjun MK-II at different times as per the demands projected by Army.

However, as per a DRDO official, it is the first time, that all the integrated technologies including 16 major technologies are being tested at the same time. The user trials as per the officials started yesterday.

It is to be mentioned that Hyderabad based Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory of DRDO has developed the armour for Mk II version of Arjun. "Talking about DRDO, we are satisfied with the end product and its results making it one of the most potent combat tanks for the Army with unmatched automatic target detection and destruction while offering maximum protection to the crew. Now, the Army is testing the same in Pokharan Firing Range in Rajasthan", said an official adding that MK-II is heavier than Mk-I but has more speed and manoeuvrability as compared to lighter counterparts currently in service with Army.

However, DRDO is asserting that if all goes well, Army should place an order of at least 500 Arjun MK-II tanks for make it cost effective, production viable and continuous in terms of supply. "Army earlier inducted 124 Mk-I Arjun Tanks and then asked for an advanced version equipped with specified features and capabilities. However, to make it cost effective and viable for both the industry and the users, the order has to be increased well in time to at least 500 for Mk II version of Arjun MBT. If the Army is satisfied, the order of 500 should be placed in one go only since that would save time taken for various formalities and procedures of a fresh order", said a DRDO official while speaking to The Times of India.

Amongst the features which have been modified in MK-II version of Arjun vis-a-vis its Mk-I version are night vision capabilities with thermal imaging system for detecting all kinds of missiles, Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) providing greater protection to crew and tank, mine ploughs, ability to fire Anti-tank missile with 120 mm main gun, Advanced Air Defense gun capable of shooting down Helicopters with a 360 degree coverage, Automatic Target Tracking (ATT) lending a greater accuracy when it comes to moving targets and superior Laser Warning and Control systems.

DRDO official said that Arjun MK-II is equipped with integrated display system capable of detecting targets, their number and location while the thermal imaging unit facilitates the tank commander to see upto half a kilometre.

However, the German engine of Arjun Mk-I have again been integrated in MK-II as well despite claims of an indigenous engine as per the sources. Officials are attributing the same to the small order being proposed by Army and said that a separate plant for manufacturing engines cannot be put up for such limited order.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Remembering what the Stuarts did in the war of Zoji-La, why can't we have a BAE Black Knight kind of systems on Mountains: Some with 40mm, some with 105mm? We don't even need the autonomous capabilities, just the dismounted controls should do...

Even T-90MS won't be of much good in high mountain passes anyway, right?

some of them must be planning, how to fail this trial and how to get more T90 MS tanks in place of Arjun MK2. Unfortunately some rotten fishers are everywhere.

Last edited:

bose

Country flag
Remembering what the Stuarts did in the war of Zoji-La, why can't we have a BAE Black Knight kind of systems on Mountains: Some with 40mm, some with 105mm? We don't even need the autonomous capabilities, just the dismounted controls should do...

Even T-90MS won't be of much good in high mountain passes anyway, right?
There was some negotiation going on with the WPB Anders for their light tanks with 105mm gun and decent armor... not sure where we are now on their proposed production here in India..

The Last Stand

Country flag
There was some negotiation going on with the WPB Anders for their light tanks with 105mm gun and decent armor... not sure where we are now on their proposed production here in India..
WPB Anders can be armed with the RUAG 120 mm cannon, comparable in power to the L/44 Rheinmetall gun.

Armament that is much more powerful than the 105 mm L7.

SilentKiller

Country flag
Hopefully for IA, they figured out how to eliminate weak ERA coverage on tank, besides obvious gaps on turret, I see gap on hull as well.
Sir, Front is bit week but MK2 version looks much better protected than MK1 and moreover no tank in world is one which cannot be stopped.
If we stick with Arjun and keep on improving it with inputs from men from fields (i.e. IA tank crew), it will become best tank.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles