Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Totally confused...
How many Arjun tanks have been inducted and how many are on order ... Can you tell me the exact split.....?
124 Arjun MK1s are inducted as of today.
The first regiment to be equipped with the Arjun was the 43rd Armored regiment, which received its full compliment of 62 tanks around 2009. The 75th armored regiment followed suit, receiving their last tanks around 2011.

Army gets first Arjun regiment | StratPost

Defence News - Arjun Battle Tank Inducted Into the 75th Armoured Regiment

These are the only arjuns in service today.

The next induction will again be another 124 arjuns, i.e. another two regiments. Maybe @Kunal or @sayareakd will be able to tell/find out which regiments of the IA are scheduled to be re-equipped with the Arjun the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Totally confused...
How many Arjun tanks have been inducted and how many are on order ... Can you tell me the exact split.....?
124 Arjun MK1s are inducted as of today.
The first regiment to be equipped with the Arjun was the 43rd Armored regiment, which received its full compliment of 62 tanks around 2009. The 75th armored regiment followed suit, receiving their last tanks around 2011.

Army gets first Arjun regiment | StratPost

Defence News - Arjun Battle Tank Inducted Into the 75th Armoured Regiment

These are the only arjuns in service today.

The next induction will again be another 124 arjuns, i.e. another two regiments. Maybe @Kunal or @sayareakd will be able to tell/find out which regiments of the IA are scheduled to be re-equipped with the Arjun in the future.
@arnabmit, thanks for that clarification. I didn't think they would slash the number of reserves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rushil51

Country flag
So this means
124 ArjunMK1 in service
118 ArjunMK2 ordered
40 Arjun catapults ordered
Bhim SPG is dead
And a deal for extra 124 ArjunMK1 canceled by DAC

Didn't the DRDO chief (?) said that Arjun project is dead if atleast 500 Arjuns aren't ordered? And what is the status of Arjun BLT?

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
So this means
124 ArjunMK1 in service
118 ArjunMK2 ordered
40 Arjun catapults ordered
Bhim SPG is dead
And a deal for extra 124 ArjunMK1 canceled by DAC

Didn't the DRDO chief (?) said that Arjun project is dead if atleast 500 Arjuns aren't ordered? And what is the status of Arjun BLT?
3 months back DRDO chief said that approx 110 of the 124 has been delivered till then.

BHIM SPGH should be revived now as Denel has been whitelisted as of September 2013.

Current ammo is good for only 20 days intense war (or 60 days sustained war). Requirement is 1 month intense + 1 month normal (or 4 month normal) war reserve.

Once the ammo reserves are brought up to level in the next 3yrs, more assets would then be added from the 4th year onwards. So expect more orders of Mk2 only from 2019.

PaliwalWarrior

3 months back DRDO chief said that approx 110 of the 124 has been delivered till then.

BHIM SPGH should be revived now as Denel has been whitelisted as of September 2013.

Current ammo is good for only 20 days intense war (or 60 days sustained war). Requirement is 1 month intense + 1 month normal (or 4 month normal) war reserve.

Once the ammo reserves are brought up to level in the next 3yrs, more assets would then be added from the 4th year onwards. So expect more orders of Mk2 only from 2019.

of course as the assets nos go up

the unit level, command level and war reserve levels of ammo for the assets will automatically go up

i think these should be calculated and passed / ordered along with the concerned asset only

both should be bundelled

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
of course as the assets nos go up

the unit level, command level and war reserve levels of ammo for the assets will automatically go up

i think these should be calculated and passed / ordered along with the concerned asset only

both should be bundelled
Cost is a major issue here. Assets and ammo cannot be procured at tandem due to the heavy backlog of ammo procurement. As I said, current reserves are currently at 1/3rd or what it should be. The balance 2/3rd of ammo needs to be procured at a staggering Rs. 97,000 cr (Cost of 1 regiment of Mk2 with supply chain is Rs. 6600 cr)

There is not enough money to bundle both.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Y are we inducting in small numbers?

Y can't we add up to the numbers and order more and build the numbers?we have to have enough and more than our neighors along the pak border and the chinese border.

What about the light weight tanks to be inducted along the chinese border?

PaliwalWarrior

Cost is a major issue here. Assets and ammo cannot be procured at tandem due to the heavy backlog of ammo procurement. As I said, current reserves are currently at 1/3rd or what it should be. The balance 2/3rd of ammo needs to be procured at a staggering Rs. 97,000 cr (Cost of 1 regiment of Mk2 with supply chain is Rs. 6600 cr)

There is not enough money to bundle both.
see

i am talking about going forward this approach needs to be adopted otherwise we will always be short on ammo and will alwys find out when a kargil happens

in IAF now they have shifted to life cycle costs

so in future - 2-3 years down the line we need to adopt the bundled approach

maybe we give it 2 years for Ammo stocks build up

but the budgeting and funds needs to be accounted for while clearing the proposals

Rushil51

Country flag

I agree with you,it should be revived but things do not look encouraging for now. Also if the next order of Arjuns will come post 2019,I think by that time Arjun MK3 will be complete which basically means end of the line for MK2. What about the Arjun BLT anyway?

Hari Sud

Country flag
If Indian army persists on minor issues, then appoint an independent committee including some foreign experts to examine it. If they come back with a report contrary to what the Indian army had been saying for ten years, they retire these officers and dunk their retirement benefits because they have been lying. Find all those officers who have set up this falsification process and dunk their retirement pay.

Something has to be done to stop this rot in Army's procurement lies. It is better done now.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are many varient of Arjun chassis based vehicles are operational and some are in production and prototype phase ..

There are BLT operational in small numbers ..

What about the Arjun BLT anyway?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Defense Ministry clears Purchase of 118 Arjun MK-2 and 40 Arjun Catapult

According to latest news coming in Defence Ministry has cleared procurement of 118 new Indian-built Arjun tanks that is likely to cost 6,800 crore. In major boost to Indian Armies self-propelled artillery systems requirements, Defence Ministry has cleared procurement of 40 Arjun Catapult which is a self-propelled gun (SPG) system which comprises of 130-mm M-46 towed gun integrated on Arjun Mk.1 main battle tank chassis.

Arjun Catapult is a stop gap measure which Indian Army at to reactivate previous Catapult artillery system, which was a conversion of ageing Vijayanta tanks fitted with the same Soviet M-46 gun. Arjun Catapult was reactivated after 'Bhim' self-propelled howitzer, where a Denel T6 turret was mounted on Arjun MBT chassis was developed and tested successfully and was also cleared for production But the project went awery after ban on Denel of South Africa which was developing the artillery system .
source : Defence Ministry clears Purchase of 118 Arjun MK-2 and 40 Arjun Catapult | idrw.org

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Like Arnab said, Unit cost is 2.5-3m USD, Rest is infrastructure ..

Keeping in mind, that IA overhaul facilities all over the country are design for T-tank service and maintenance not Arjun, This is one reason the low numbers of Arjun itself ..

No sir, Unit price is between 2.5-3mn USD. The rest of the cost is for supply chain and service infrastructure.
Kunal and Ray (Sirs)

The Arjun tank is variously priced at $8-10 million or $4 million (The Most Expensive Tanks in the World - TheRichest)

What is the truth?

Hari Sud

Country flag
Apollyon, sir

Does that price you quoted above include spares, service infrastructure, super heavy duty mobility vehicles etc.

How do you reconcile the official government quoted appropriated money of Rupees 6800 crores with 118 tanks now ordered. Which model has been ordered? Is it Mark II or Mark I?

Just curious to know to know the details of Rupees 6800 crores being appropriated for the purpose.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles