Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Advaidhya Tiwari

This 118 Arjun MK1A is just to keep the assembly line working. Its engine will still be MTU imports. This tank is unlikely to be used to fight real wars bit will only serve for training or limited skirmish

Arjun tank will be meaningless until it reduces its weight to 50-55 ton in MK2 version. Arjun MK2 with lower weight will be the perfect replacement for T90 tanks. At present T90 can't fire missiles easily. Arjun MK2 with similar weight as T90 will help India overcome this.

Enquirer

This 118 Arjun MK1A is just to keep the assembly line working. Its engine will still be MTU imports. This tank is unlikely to be used to fight real wars bit will only serve for training or limited skirmish

Arjun tank will be meaningless until it reduces its weight to 50-55 ton in MK2 version. Arjun MK2 with lower weight will be the perfect replacement for T90 tanks. At present T90 can't fire missiles easily. Arjun MK2 with similar weight as T90 will help India overcome this.
Buddy! You need to stop your 'khayali pulao'!

50-55 ton Arjun Mk2???? Is your uncle working on that project?
The target weight for Arjun Mk2 is 65 tons (3 tonnes lesser than Mk1-A)

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

Hmm the report is 3 tonne less but in a previous report it was said that
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ii-ahead-of-schedule/article24936545.ece/amp/
He may referring that...
And I personally don't believe army will adopt a newer version with only 3 tonne less...there is no point to go for a new tank with only only 3 tonne less than the previous one....so I think the arjun mk2 will be more than 3 tonne less

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag

Arjun is one of the most armoured tank in the region remember it was meant to counter Abrams tank ,it even has a mine plough ,the kanchan armour is making it's survivability above than t90 ,weight issue is over blown and it can't come down to 55 and otherwise 65 tons is target for next version,drdo has promised to provide extensive maintainence to arjun tanks as well ,it will definitely see action in areas south of Sutlej river , especially Thar and kutch sectors are made for this beast
DaTjjClWkAIUiNi.jpeg

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Arjun is one of the most armoured tank in the region remember it was meant to counter Abrams tank ,it even has a mine plough ,the kanchan armour is making it's survivability above than t90 ,weight issue is over blown and it can't come down to 55 and otherwise 65 tons is target for next version,drdo has promised to provide extensive maintainence to arjun tanks as well ,it will definitely see action in areas south of Sutlej river , especially Thar and kutch sectors are made for this beastView attachment 32152
May be 55 ton is too much. But if Mk.2 is planned with 3 crew and an autoloader replacing the the loader, the weight would come down more than 3 ton.

Anyhow, 65 ton would be good. Anyhow, we need orders in at least 500-1000 numbers to make this beast truly indigenous, else as long as the engine and other vital parts are not made in India, at least under license, India still would remain vulnerable.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

What people do not understand is that the specifications indiI army wants can not be given in 55 tons. Indian army wants to fire all sorts of rounds from Arjun so no auto loader. This requires additional crew and hence biger chasis. They want reactive armour. They want mine plough and than they want lower weight. This stupid. Yes, 3 tons can be reduced as you say. Aull tanks of this class weighs only around 65 tons or more.

itsme

Country flag
Any pic of the new MK1A?......................................

Advaidhya Tiwari

The current development completion for that engine is 2022, then several years of testing......so it's a long way off
Development completion includes testing. Only in case of artillery did auch such long testing take place. Otherwise it is unnatural to have such long testing

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
In my opinion rather than blindly going after T-14 style unmanned turret for FRCV the army should look into something similar to the proposed french-german european mbt featuring mating of leclerc style turret with autoloader and leopard 2a6 hull. In future they are developing a 130mm gun for this system.A arjun mk1A hull mated with a 3 man leclerc stle autoloader based turret. Still be 60+ tons. Because I am sure the rest of NATO countries will come up with similar concepts in the future.
I think this should be the way forward for arjun mk3.

May be this will supplement the 45-50 ton proposed FRCV which CVRDE is contemplating which will be a new design.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles